IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

One of the umpires has just checked the light metre on the stumps, whilst the other has waved to the pavilion.

Are they coming back on - Yep. They are now walking on..

If so, then a quick thrash to get another bonus point and, if the weather is as bad as you say (although it looks fine on my screen) perhaps get stuck in to the Hants batting this evening - COVE would have been useful in this!

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

A draw with Hampshire wouldn't be the worst thing, Gloucestershire have Middlesex and Hampshire, Surrey have us and Hampshire, Hampshire have Gloucestershire and Surrey whereas we have Leicestershire and Surrey. With the other 3 taking points off each other a win vs Leicestershire would put us right in the mix for the top spot you'd have thought.

20 minutes ago, Super said:

think we would have taken this at 43/5!

Or even 113/7 - we are currently 277/7, a stand of more than 150!

A shame for RvdeM; a bit silly, reckless even, but I think he would have been very deserving of a century.

Re. @TomF's AGod comment earlier, I don't think he has yet commented on this particular post, especially as we approach our third batting point.

Well.. hope LG and VDM continue to ride their luck and hope, also, for a bit of carnage from MDL and maybe we manage to scrape up to 200?

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

Surprisingly, from 43/5, to 113/7, to our highest first innings score of the season, 360 - indeed, without checking, I suspect our highest score of the season.

Certainly very entertaining - was anybody on here lucky enough to be present at Taunton today?

Fingers crossed the light holds for a few overs this evening.

Hey. I've just looked, and we are top of the league.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

48 minutes ago, Super said:

Struggling now.

Spin seems to be their problem today.

Do any of our Glos fans know why Brathwaite isn't playing?

Injured, or only a short term contract?

I have just seen that Kraigg Brathwaite has left to prepare for West Indies Test Series against South Africa.

Glos now 149/8, so unlikely to get a batting point and, moreover, likely to lose, thus limiting them to just the two bowling points.

Somerset plus one of Hants/Surrey to qualify?

If so, Somerset's points tally against both (assuming we don't lose this current match or the next one against Surrey) will be more favourable than it was/is against Glos.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

We scored just 12 runs in the 20 minutes (6 overs) after Goldsworthy was out.

If we were/are looking to get a lead of 400 runs, with a maximum of 96 overs tomorrow and rain forecast both this evening and tomorrow (probably reducing that 96 overs), then, with 5 wickets still in hand, why didn't we get Tom Banton, LG, RvdM and/or MdL to have a 6 over thrash?

I mean, I appreciate a draw is not a bad result, and a defeat would be quite a blow, but that approach is unbelievably cautious. 

Haven't watched but after Gloucestershire's result the game has become very much do not lose, win if possible but make sure Hampshire can't, Gloucestershire, Hampshire and Surrey playing each other puts us in the driving seat.

20 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Haven't watched but after Gloucestershire's result the game has become very much do not lose, win if possible but make sure Hampshire can't, Gloucestershire, Hampshire and Surrey playing each other puts us in the driving seat.

Of Course, but surely bringing on even just one of the attacking batsman I mentioned above, perhaps MdL, who, even were he to be out first ball, would have changed very little in the overall scheme of things, and might have given us twenty or so extra runs without jeopardising our position. 

Just now, PHILINFRANCE said:

Of Course, but surely bringing on even just one of the attacking batsman I mentioned above, perhaps MdL, who, even were he to be out first ball, would have changed very little in the overall scheme of things, and might have given us twenty or so extra runs without jeopardising our position. 

Perhaps its a case of allowing them to be able to start teeing off tomorrow and try and ride the momentum into taking the field, no idea, but learnt to trust Abell's captaincy.

32 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Perhaps its a case of allowing them to be able to start teeing off tomorrow and try and ride the momentum into taking the field, no idea, but learnt to trust Abell's captaincy.

Indeed, and there was a match last season, I forget which, when (to my mind) he batted on too long when, if I remember correctly, rain was forecast the next day and we (clearly!) threw away a possible victory due to TA being over cautious.

Of course, we won quite comfortably....

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
embarrassing grammatical/spelling mistake!
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, tin said:

This Glos side annoyingly looked a lot different on a dry pitch that turned. Not only don’t we have a decent spinner, we can’t play spin either. 

Apart from Hamkond again. I think what we are seeing is what we have known for a few seasons, there is little strength in depth. Take out Brathwaite, Bracey and Van Buuren and we look like the old Glos. :(

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, TomF said:

Weather forecast looks better for today. Muggy cloud cover might be to our advantage 

It`s drizzly and overcast down here at the moment but the forecast is for it to brighten up later. It`s very humid too. I can see it being an on/off day TBH and the light could be a factor if the cloud doesn`t lift.