IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

13 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

I can remember the John Player League, 40 overs each on a Sunday.

When Somerset got over 180 we knew we were in with a good shout, over 200 was thrilling stuff. 
This was with Botham and Richards in the team. You’d need over 400 now.

2 hours ago, B1ackbird said:

B&H and the Nat West trophies too.

Good times...

And the Gillette Cup.

Probably my favourite ever match was when Somerset beat Surrey (John Edrich, Robin Jackman, Geoff Arnold) at Taunton in the 1974 quarter final.

Ian Botham played, but didn't bat, former England wicketkeeper, Jim Parks, played but didn't keep wicket, Brian Close and Sir Viv Richards only contributed a few runs each and the star was the unsung hero, 'Dashing' Peter Denning.

A wonderful day out with more than 500 runs scored - a rarity back then.

Also a lovely story about Hallam Moseley, but that is a different subject altogether.

• Like 2

On the subject of the Minor Counties, they're all playing against the first class sides as a warm-up for the 50-over competition in July. All the games were due to be played with the minor counties at home but most have now been switched to the county grounds because of restrictions on capacity.

They've kept it as regional as possible so Somerset play 2 games against Cornwall and Devon, Glos play Wiltshire, Hampshire play Dorset etc

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I remember going up to see Somerset away at Shropshire in Wellington (the one near Telford). Steve Ogrizovic played for them.

Used to love that format, went with Glos to a lot of new grounds, Ireland (Dublin), Sleeford (Lincolnshire) ,Horsham (Sussex Board) etc, miss those trips .

Edited by slartibartfast
  • Like 2

On 16/06/2021 at 22:54, ralphindevon said:

I can remember the John Player League, 40 overs each on a Sunday.

When Somerset got over 180 we knew we were in with a good shout, over 200 was thrilling stuff. 
This was with Botham and Richards in the team. You’d need over 400 now.

I have great memories of the John Player, at one point in the history of the competition there had only been 3 ties and I saw 2 of them.

The most memorable of those was against Somerset, needing 2 to win David Shephard out to the boundary right in front of where we were sitting. A young Viv Richards (maybe his 1st season?), dropped the catch on the boundary, but was quick witted enough to immediately pick the ball up and throw it straight over the stumps and run Shep out before he completed the 2nd run. Amazing presence of mind which made everyone sit up and take notice of him.

My first memory was less exciting, my dad took me to see Gary Sobers play for Nottinghamshire, but thanks to some passing thunderstorms all I saw of him was being interviewed under an umbrella by Peter West. :( I often wondered if we would have been there at all if dad had known it was going to be televised. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Super said:

I remember going to watch Glos v Worcs mid 90's one day game and it all kicked off in the crowd near the end of the game. Think they put a ban on the Jessops after that game?!

No love lost there. I remember the halcyon days at the turn of the century, went to Worc., and lost (a very rare thing) only to find out the game had to be replayed as they fielded an ineligible player !  Replayed the game a couple of days later, and surprise, surprise we pissed them ! The locals were NOT very happy .:boxing:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TomF said:

Weather doesn’t look great for tonight. What a bumper round of shit sport results last 24 hours 

A bit of rain passing through at about 7 but then a big gap until the next (much heavier) lot arrives it looks like. It`s been threatening down here all day but we`ve had nothing yet.

9 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Just seen Conway has signed for Southern Brave in the hundred. Does that affect his Somerset availability?  

No:

The 29-year-old will join Somerset between June 23rd and July 18th and will therefore be available for at least nine Vitality Blast group stage matches plus two LV= Insurance County Championship fixtures.

https://www.somersetcountycc.co.uk/news/club-news/new-signing-announced-2/

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TomF said:

Considering his first over went for 10 he was even better thereafter once he got his length right 

Yes, after a 12 year wait we’ll allow him an over to get his line and length right.

For years taking the pace off has been the way to go, I’m not saying he should be on 200 appearances but none is just odd

10 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

Cracking win for Glos against Glamorgan tonight, now top of the South Group?. Glenn Phillips scored an explosive 94 not out.

I'm not a big fan of T20 but I popped down last night and my god did Phillips smash it everywhere. That reserve sweep over third man was an incredible shot, but I loved his shots in the V. A controlled, classy, violent innings. Smith also bowled very well.  

• Like 1