IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

3 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Commentators making out Glos only 10 short, they’ve only taken 2 wickets, I think another 20 would have been comfortable with the hitters we had left 

Well, they were at least 10 runs short come the last over, but, as you say, had we needed to chase 180 from the start, I think we would have reached it quite comfortably.  

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Goldsworthy just doesn’t look a T20 batsmen. Needs to score quicker

I know what you mean, but it is deceptive.

LG's strike rate (for 39NO), was 144.44, whilst DC's (for 81 NO), was 124.61.

As per. David Hopps:

Conway's unbeaten 81 from 65 balls would not make much of a gaudy highlights reel, but his sensible shot selection and judicious tempo never wavered as he guided Somerset home with four balls to spare.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

34 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I know what you mean, but it is deceptive.

LG's strike rate (for 39NO), was 144.44, whilst DC's (for 81 NO), was 124.61.

As per. David Hopps:

Conway's unbeaten 81 from 65 balls would not make much of a gaudy highlights reel, but his sensible shot selection and judicious tempo never wavered as he guided Somerset home with four balls to spare.

I was a bit too late with my edit, but I wanted to add this, also courtesy of David Hopps:

Goldsworthy rounded off the win with successive boundaries against Higgins, he finished with 43 not out from 28 balls, misleading stats which suggested there had been nothing to worry about.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Bracey is having a stinker.

Playing against Conway, be it New Zealand or Somerset, seems to spook him.  Then he drops him in the first over.  I would not normally say that one missed chance would be that crucial with what really was a comforable win, as plenty more batsmen could come in and make those runs, but it seems Somerset really were light on batting.  As for Glos, we should be looking at winning our next 2 (Hants and Middlesex are in the bottom 2) and hope that takes us nearly over the line.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Judging by Sri Lanka's score so far today - 12/3 off 4 overs - England should be able to just pick another allrounder, bowl first and have the match done and dusted by tea.

It seems crazy to have TB withdraw from Somerset's T20 side, just when, finally, he was coming in to some form, just for him to sit in a bubble as cover for Malan, who is suffering from personal problems.  

It seems crazy on the basis that Roy is fit again, Livingstone (fit?) Can surely cover as opener or Moeen Ali and Billings covers as keeper so what is the point of Banton being there if he doesn't play a game?

Fair play to Somerset. They got their yorkers in and we lacked any invention to get around them. Losing the toss was a bat start for us as well, we prefer to chase. 

12 hours ago, TomF said:

If Bracey holds on to Conway it might have been different. He’s absolute class.. hope he takes this into the CC games 

He will. Extraordinary to think he's not even sure he'll get back into NZ after this summer, because of the virus and the fact he doesn't have a NZ passport! 

9 hours ago, Lrrr said:

It seems crazy on the basis that Roy is fit again, Livingstone (fit?) Can surely cover as opener or Moeen Ali and Billings covers as keeper so what is the point of Banton being there if he doesn't play a game?

Wonder with the series now won there may be quite a few changes and Banton will get a game.

49 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Smeed drafted by Birmingham Phoenix for the hundred

I was looking forward to seeing us in the 50 over comp, now the ECB are denying us that. 

Using 8 of our players in a competition not even staged in the South West. What a f****** farce it all is. 

How can they take cricket out of one of the countries biggest cricket hot spots 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I was looking forward to seeing us in the 50 over comp, now the ECB are denying us that. 

Using 8 of our players in a competition not even staged in the South West. What a f****** farce it all is. 

How can they take cricket out of one of the countries biggest cricket hot spots 

I mean we knew the 50 over comp was literally going to be a 2nd XI team competition but yeah it’s shit, you’ll probably get 1 county who doesn’t have players drafted and will smash it

• Like 1