IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I might be due a ‘Whoosh’ here, but I suspect reference was being made to a former Somerset icon, a certain Peter Treeeego.

You have probably never heard of him, as he played mainly in the first division, but he also presented a few City matches on Robins TV - usually quite ‘snazzily’ dressed.

Yes, take your "whoosh" and wear it with pride .?

Edited by slartibartfast
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, TomF said:

Final round of games. Somerset batting first.. maybe a good toss to win if Slurrey have prepped a turner for Ashwin. Mind you Jamieson won’t be easy to bat against either. Nervous.. 

Luckily, Jamieson is injured, although Surrey do have a certain Jamie Overton playing for them. 

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

He may have been a bit before your time, but Somerset had a very useful opening batsman, who suffered the same fate: Mark Lathwell.

Lathwell was absolute class, saw him spray a very angry Courtney Walsh around the ground once, picking bouncers from in front of his nose.

He was a real Devon lad though who didn’t fancy the England team mentality of the time and eventually gave up altogether.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TomF said:

Nah I do just remember him. Watched his England debut where he made a painfully slow 25 or so?   So many troubled West Country players who’ve played for England over the year.

Meanwhile.. I think that’ll be end of play at Cheltenham with rain downpour 

That was, in fact, his second and last Test Match, both against Australia.

He played quite well in his first Test, but was out for a duck in the first innings of his second match and, as you say, made a very slow 25 in his second innings, although, in his defence, England were tryig to save the game.

13 minutes ago, TomF said:

Can't really take any pleasure seeing them fail this way however. Not sure they'd have got points needed to make D1 anyway.  Not sure what they get for this abandonment?  8 points + bonus? 

I agree it would have been better to have seen all three games in their group finish.

As you say, it is unlikely they would have got enough points, even with a most probable win against Derbyshire, as Warwickshire are well placed for a draw at minimum, looking likely to get sufficient points to leave them above Essex whatever the result. 

A propos Division 1, Glos are now all out with just the single batting point: Hants get 3 bowling points, so are just 4 points behind.

Given the expected weather a Hants win, or, indeed, a win for either team, looks difficult, but 400 runs with the loss of just two wickets would suffice....?.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

3 minutes ago, TomF said:

Glos all out, so drop 4 bonus points

Somerset make it to 300 so dropping 2 bonus points

Somerset 137 - Max points if win 156, Max points if draw 148

Glos: 130 - Max points if win 150, Max points if draw 141

Hants: 126 - Max points if win 147, Max points if draw 139Somerset need 3 more points to confirm Div one but I'd be very surprised if Hants get anywhere close to 400 on the Cheltenham
pitch. 

No we were skitled out in half an hour, must be pretty lively, bring on the Hants batsmen !

4 minutes ago, TomF said:

Glos all out, so drop 4 bonus points

Somerset make it to 300 so dropping 2 bonus points

Somerset 137 - Max points if win 156, Max points if draw 148

Glos: 130 - Max points if win 150 149, Max points if draw 141

Hants: 126 - Max points if win 147, Max points if draw 139

Somerset need 3 more points to confirm Div one but I'd be very surprised if Hants get anywhere close to 400 on the Cheltenham pitch. 

Should Somerset draw with maximum bowling points (148 points) and Glos. draw with only two bowling points, they would finish level on points, but Glos. would finish above Somerset having won more matches.

Still hoping for a Hants win.

53 minutes ago, TomF said:

Can't really take any pleasure seeing them fail this way however. Not sure they'd have got points needed to make D1 anyway.  Not sure what they get for this abandonment?  8 points + bonus? 

ECB taking a few days to consider the points for this match! 

13 minutes ago, Super said:

Am i safe to say we can't lose this game from here?

Safe?

It is Somerset you are talking about.

Seriously, though, quite a strong position, assuming nothing stupid.

The pitch hasn't really showed any genuine signs of turn yet, but it would be interesting to see Jack Leach and Roelof bowling should it deteriorate. 

Edited by PHILINFRANCE