IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

1 minute ago, TomF said:

Glos only got 2 bonus points = Somerset through to Div 1 

Somerset are, indeed, through to Division 1, but this is due to Hants failing to get their 4th batting point.

Glos. could still, theoretically, finish ahead of Somerset with a draw, although Hants cannot, even if they match Somerset's points total with a draw as Somerset have four wins compared to Hants' three.

I've not been watching the Glos/Hants match, but I couldn't help noticing that, of the 57! extras conceded in Hants' innings, 28 have been byes.

If anybody on here is watching, can they advise whether the pitch is playing up or is this one more example of young James Bracey's loss of form/confidence following his unfortunate England experience.  

Just looking at how division one is shaping up, I think Glos/Hants is the only thing to be decided - assuming Essex aren't awarded 45 bonus points.

Yorks/Lancs almost certain to be a draw so range of points based on how many bonus points.

Glos win/draw

Warwickshire 21
Lancashire 16.5 -> 18
Gloucestershire 16
Somerset 9.5
Yorkshire 4.5 -> 7
Nottinghamshire 5

Hants win

Warwickshire 21
Somerset 18.5
Lancashire 16.5 -> 18
Hampshire 8.5
Yorkshire 4.5 -> 7
Nottinghamshire 5

Looking at the score at Headingly I notice Lancs only two down at 110 overs - I wonder if they will try to bat out the day to prevent Yorkshire even getting 110 overs to bat and restrict their batting bonus points

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I've not been watching the Glos/Hants match, but I couldn't help noticing that, of the 57! extras conceded in Hants' innings, 28 have been byes.

If anybody on here is watching, can they advise whether the pitch is playing up or is this one more example of young James Bracey's loss of form/confidence following his unfortunate England experience.  

Extras up to 73 now with 40 byes. Bracey is definitely struggling a bit, I've seen a couple that he probably should've stopped.

27 minutes ago, TomF said:

May have one eye on the Midd/Leics game.   They need a few points to at least preserve D2 place

I am sure they have; indeed, Surrey's position is getting progressively perilous, so much so that a draw might not save them from playing in the third division next season.

In brief, Leicestershire are fighting back against Middlesex, who are currently 50/4 in their second innings, giving them a lead of just 146.

Although they are playing at Northwood, not one of the best batting surfaces, Leicestershire must be quietly fancying their chances of a win, which would give them 127 points: a draw for Surrey, even with the maximum of 5 batting points, would equally put them on 127 points, but with Leicestershire having won three matches against Surrey's two, the latter would finish fifth and, thus, be playing in division three next season.

Surrey really need a win to be sure, and don't look as if they are playing with sufficient urgency to get anything more than a draw - currently 137/2 off 57.  

4 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Well, we’re into the next stage and have FINALLY served our sentence dished out by the ECB.

Having said that, if Jack Leach gets many more wickets on this Oval pitch they’ll probably dock us another 8

It's strange how clubs sometimes prepare a pitch and it doesn't go quite to plan. This match for Surrey is a bit like the Leicestershire match for us when we prepared for a draw but the pitch ended up almost benefiting Leicestershire more than us and the draw for Somerset became a relief in the end.

24 minutes ago, Midred said:

It's strange how clubs sometimes prepare a pitch and it doesn't go quite to plan. This match for Surrey is a bit like the Leicestershire match for us when we prepared for a draw but the pitch ended up almost benefiting Leicestershire more than us and the draw for Somerset became a relief in the end.

True, it’s all down to the toss of course and Somerset have on many occasions prepared a pitch to suit them……..as long as they win the toss and they haven’t.

Surrey have signed a player just for this match and pitch remember 

Edited by ralphindevon