IGNORED

Matt Smith

City1984

No doubt about it, after an inauspicious start Matt Smith certainly hit a purple (& lime) patch at AG& ended up with a fantastic goals to games ratio for any striker let alone a target man. But a target man is what he is & to end a full season with the goal tally he did last season (especially in the championship) would be a triumph.

But without knowing the magnitude of our war chest I'd rather any large sum of money that potentially would go on Smith be spent on a out and out, championship proven goal scoring striker rather than a "2nd" striker.

He certainly would have fitted in like a hand in glove had we of signed him given he was already familiar with the lads down here.

Are we really getting worried about a lack of new signings? We've heard rumours that there will be signings soon but how soon is now?

You won't seem me showing signs of panic at this stage, after all it's only football and not like it's something serious like a girlfriend in a coma.

No doubt about it, after an inauspicious start Matt Smith certainly hit a purple (& lime) patch at AG& ended up with a fantastic goals to games ratio for any striker let alone a target man. But a target man is what he is & to end a full season with the goal tally he did last season (especially in the championship) would be a triumph.

But without knowing the magnitude of our war chest I'd rather any large sum of money that potentially would go on Smith be spent on a out and out, championship proven goal scoring striker rather than a "2nd" striker.

Like who? I would highly doubt that there are many proven championship goal scoring strikers that are available and would come here?

What I'd think is that its clear Smith enjoyed his time here and really felt part of the team and the majority of fans took to him as well. That in itself, could be enough to warrant him lowering his wage demands to play here with the rest of the team.

I think the fact he went back to Fulham was involved either as a sub, or played the first 60 mins of games and he scored quite a few for Fulham. That in itself shows to me that he is capable in the Championship and worth a punt.

I don't think his all round play is as good as Wilbs, but he is better on the pitch within in the 6 yard box, has a good finish and takes his chances, something we will need next season.

Also, imagine chasing a game in the last 5-10 mins playing more direct, or at set pieces with Wilbs, Smith, Flint, Williams, Little. We're going to score more often than not!

I'd say the risk of signing Smith is relatively low and we need to avoid panic or risk buying to make sure we have a successful season.

Mads Hvilsom?

Not sure about this particular player but I certainly hope we're scouring the foreign market.

We know all about Matt Smith and many are saying 'if not him then who'? But the fact is there must be others in this country and many abroad who'd fit the bill. It would be fantastic to get an Ivan Testitimanu type player ( though in this case a striker obviously) a player previously unknown to most of us who comes relatively cheap, does not have absurd expectations of wages but has a steely determination to take his chance in England and move his career forward.

There must be such young players in Scandinavia as well as other European countries who already speak enough English to have little problem fitting in. 

Matt Smith would be a fairly safe signing, we know he'd do OK if not brilliantly, but would be extremely expensive both fee and wage wise and may therefore limit our options to strengthen elsewhere.

I hope City will be adventurous with their signings, seek them in unexpected places and get the very best of what is available to us whether it be the next Freeman from the lower divisions, one of the most promising young strikers from Sweden, or a totally unpredictable swoop for a Wade Elliot replacement from German div. 2.

Be bold City, spread the net far and wide. Surprise and excite us.

Not sure about this particular player but I certainly hope we're scouring the foreign market.

We know all about Matt Smith and many are saying 'if not him then who'? But the fact is there must be others in this country and many abroad who'd fit the bill. It would be fantastic to get an Ivan Testitimanu type player ( though in this case a striker obviously) a player previously unknown to most of us who comes relatively cheap, does not have absurd expectations of wages but has a steely determination to take his chance in England and move his career forward.

But with a little more talent than Ivan, I'd hope...

There must be such young players in Scandinavia as well as other European countries who already speak enough English to have little problem fitting in. 

Matt Smith would be a fairly safe signing, we know he'd do OK if not brilliantly, but would be extremely expensive both fee and wage wise and may therefore limit our options to strengthen elsewhere.

I hope City will be adventurous with their signings, seek them in unexpected places and get the very best of what is available to us whether it be the next Freeman from the lower divisions, one of the most promising young strikers from Sweden, or a totally unpredictable swoop for a Wade Elliot replacement from German div. 2.

Be bold City, spread the net far and wide. Surprise and excite us.

We did that before and ended up with styver

We did that before and ended up with styver

We had a woeful scouting system at that time and mistakes of the past should not dictate current policy.

I've got every confidence in Burt and Cotts. to get the signings right wherever they come from.

Haven't you?

And beforehand we've had Jacki etc

Just because you've had one bad experience shouldn't mean and end to any foreign players - look at all the domestic based duds we've had.

Same for Scottish players

It hasn't just been one in recent times tho

And we didn't pluck jacki out of Norway or Sweden did we we signed him from Celtic

It hasn't just been one in recent times tho

And we didn't pluck jacki out of Norway or Sweden did we we signed him from Celtic

Well if you're going to be pedantic about it yes, but Cetic had to take the chance on him originally.

Point is, one bad experience shouldn't put you off a huge pool of players forever.

We never did our due diligence on Styvar - hence his legendary status as poor signing. As long as a player is well scouted, it shouldn't matter where he comes from.

GJ did appear to have a wheeler dealer type attitude to transfers. SC and KB seem far more thorough and professional based on what they have done so far.

Archived