IGNORED

Matt Smith

City1984

We never did our due diligence on Styvar - hence his legendary status as poor signing. As long as a player is well scouted, it shouldn't matter where he comes from.

GJ did appear to have a wheeler dealer type attitude to transfers. SC and KB seem far more thorough and professional based on what they have done so far.

Exactly, he always gets wheeled out as an example to perpetuate this opinion that foreign players are a risk - of course they are but that was one particularly poor example which we have learned from.

If we had gone along with Ashton Vale and then got into a legal tangle with Sainsburys ditto our brethren across the city, it would have been interesting to see if the likes of Matt Smith would've been signing for us then, or even mentioned as a possible acquisition. Nectar points would've been burned on a pile bigger than Matt Smith standing on Flinty's shoulders!

Well if you're going to be pedantic about it yes, but Cetic had to take the chance on him originally.

Point is, one bad experience shouldn't put you off a huge pool of players forever.

Even when Celtic took him on he was a Polish International and had been for a while, hardly a risky unknown.

Out of interest, who was the last European International we had? Vilmos Sebok springs to mind...

Even when Celtic took him on he was a Polish International and had been for a while, hardly a risky unknown.

Out of interest, who was the last European International we had? Vilmos Sebok springs to mind...

Peter Styvar? 

He's well before my time so I'm not exactly too familiar with him, we've barely had any international players that I could think of so used him as an example.

My point really is that you cannot write off international players due to the Styvar issues.

He's well before my time so I'm not exactly too familiar with him, we've barely had any international players that I could think of so used him as an example.

My point really is that you cannot write off international players due to the Styvar issues.

Jacki was 'well before my time'.....you've just made a lot of people feel very old there, young 'un

Well if you're going to be pedantic about it yes, but Cetic had to take the chance on him originally.

Point is, one bad experience shouldn't put you off a huge pool of players forever.

And the Dziekanowski myth goes on. A talented waster that we only signed because Celtic wanted rid. Brilliant on his day, but he had more bad ones than good ones, in my recollection.

And the Dziekanowski myth goes on. A talented waster that we only signed because Celtic wanted rid. Brilliant on his day, but he had more bad ones than good ones, in my recollection.

No argument there, Leveller, but when he was on form, he was worth the admission fee alone

Without doubt the most talented footballer I've seen in a City shirt, but one of the most inconsistent, for sure

Spot on.  JET was the epitome of industry and fitness compared to Jacki.  And to think we sold Bob Taylor for him...

Sad day but oh for ceefax..... Waiting forever for the pages to turn and no City news. Refresh and try again! Happy days

I can remember checking it 20 times a day, one night I checked it so many times my mates were getting really annoyed with me - then all of a sudden, about half 10 at night it suddenly mentioned we had signed Mark Gavin.....random!

Take a chance on Jacki? He played 62 times for Poland scoring 20 goals. Playboy, drinker, womaniser and even lazy in away matches,he may have been but his football ability was not in doubt.

And he scored 4 for Celtic in a European Cvup Winners tie with Partizan Belgrade

Take a chance on Jacki? He played 62 times for Poland scoring 20 goals. Playboy, drinker, womaniser and even lazy in away matches,he may have been but his football ability was not in doubt.

And he scored 4 for Celtic in a European Cvup Winners tie with Partizan Belgrade

As I said above, I'm a bit young to know much about him. It was more to demonstrate a point about foreign players.

Take a chance was a real figure of speech.

Ah jacki....

Anyway, the issue with foreign players in most cases is that they have to come to a country where they need to learn a new language and customs, bringing their family without knowing anyone here, and get used to what is usually a more physical style of play. It can be done, some hit the ground running, but others take time to settle, and some don't settle at all.

English players carry a price premium, but you can pretty much rule out most of the problems with settling in, and they re used to the physical side too. Whether they are good enough players is another matter, you could end up with a nicky hunt or Peter styvar if you aren't on the ball.

Ray Atteveld. Never quite recovered from that backpass on his debut (think it was at home to Oxford)

I'm an Evertonian (after City)...

...was well excited when we signed Atteveld...

.... breaks my heart that one training ground incident probably cost ua both him and Jacki...

....Dziekanowski, Atteveld, Cole, Rosenior, Allison ...

... I can't understand why Denis Smith is not revered amongst City fans...

I'm an Evertonian (after City)...

...was well excited when we signed Atteveld...

.... breaks my heart that one training ground incident probably cost ua both him and Jacki...

....Dziekanowski, Atteveld, Cole, Rosenior, Allison ...

... I can't understand why Denis Smith is not revered amongst City fans...

I always thought that Denis Smith badly treated by the City board. He was only at the club for approx 10 months, which included the close season. He should have been given more time.

Listen they guy did fantastic for us but with wages an issues there are better players out there.

Top bloke though wish him all the best.

Not every player is possessed by greed. You see a fair amount of players take wage cuts these days especially in lower leagues to play for clubs that appreciate them more. I wouldn't be surprised if he did take a wage cut or some of JET's wage cap was used to sign him. 

Ah jacki....

Anyway, the issue with foreign players in most cases is that they have to come to a country where they need to learn a new language and customs, bringing their family without knowing anyone here, and get used to what is usually a more physical style of play. It can be done, some hit the ground running, but others take time to settle, and some don't settle at all.

English players carry a price premium, but you can pretty much rule out most of the problems with settling in, and they re used to the physical side too. Whether they are good enough players is another matter, you could end up with a nicky hunt or Peter styvar if you aren't on the ball.

Ermmmm....not being funny....but have you noticed how many 'foreigners' play in our leagues....hundreds of them.

It's not so much foreign players that are the problem, but the standard of management and coaching lower down the leagues.

You've got just as many British based players who don't settle...Woolford and El Abd for example.

Look how well Watford have done in recent seasons.

Plus....some foreign Leagues are very similar to British ones....especially Scandinavian.

Man management and making a player and his family settled go a long way to helping relocate a player.

Alex Ferguson at Man Utd did that very well.

We are shooting ourselves in the foot if we don't look for value around the world.

Archived