IGNORED

The Ashes

bs3

Shane Warne shades Allan Border as my hero.

My favourite foreigner would be Shoaib Akhtar purely because I love outright pace bowling.

The ball he delivered to obliterate Matt Hayden's stumps in Australia was probably the best I'll ever get to see live.

My favourite Pom would be Gower. He was just outright world class.

You wouldn't have known from the encouragement Gilchrist always gave from behind the stumps

I read one of the reasons was Warne's extra curricular activities.....didn't Gilly wed his high school sweetheart and could never understand why Warne couldn't keep it in his jockstrap?

That was absolutely a part of it.

Gilchrist is a real family man and hated being away from Perth and his family for any period of time.

Shane, well Shane was quite different.

But it also stemmed from the fact Gilchrist was vice captain or captain when ponting wasn't playing yet all the junior blokes like Brett Lee or Shaun Tait would go to Warne for advice on field placings, length of delivery etc.

Apparently Warne had that dressing room respect that Gilchrist didn't.

It's come out more and more but was well hidden dislike for a long time and like you say Gilchrist always loudly encouraged by the stump mic.

I learned it from a bloke I used to work with who played spin bowler for SA and Played twice for AUS. He gave me a bit of inside info.

Gilchrist is a real family man and hated being away from Perth and his family for any period of time.

But it also stemmed from the fact Gilchrist was vice captain or captain when ponting wasn't playing yet all the junior blokes like Brett Lee or Shaun Tait would go to Warne for advice on field placings, length of delivery etc.

I get why Warne gets the respect, but for the life of me can't see why Gilchrist wouldn't

Two fantastic players. My guilty secret is I would watch that great Aussie all night before I had kids, just not against England!

I get why Warne gets the respect, but for the life of me can't see why Gilchrist wouldn't

Two fantastic players. My guilty secret is I would watch that great Aussie all night before I had kids, just not against England!

His off field nonsense cost him the captaincy.

His cricketing brain was better than any.

He's the best captain we never had.

Not so much for his personality or his ability but for his understanding of the game.

Adam ghilchrist is prob the best ever batsman/wicket keeper

I am only guessing her but I can only think is he was a bit square.

He would be the one stood at the front with Border and Ponting.

Whereas dressing room etc, who was the bloke they ran to when Symonds turned up in Bristol morning of a test?

Warne. He was the bloke who put him in the cold shower then told him to sort his life out.

It was Warne who separated Clarke and Langer in the changing room on a run out etc.

I think Gilchrist just didn't carry that same trust etc.

Ghilchrist had no respect in the dressing room because he would walk when he was out without waiting for the umpire, the others didn't like it, but he should be commended for being honest

This bloke is gonna do well this series. He's playing with a lot of confidence.

This could easily mirror the first test in 2009.. England out for 400ish.. Aussies pile on 600+ - Friday could be a very good day to bat looking at the forecast.

Ghilchrist had no respect in the dressing room because he would walk when he was out without waiting for the umpire, the others didn't like it, but he should be commended for being honest

I've seen Shane Warne walk at the Gabba without even looking at the umpire.

True other blokes were the opposite. Symonds probably the worst.

Or Stuart Broad who literally got enough on his bat for it to go for four....

There's been technically better wicket keepers but none able to bat like he could.

England's Jack Russell was technically the best keeper I've seen

Can't be - he didn't come from the Land of Sex and Roses.

I am only guessing her but I can only think is he was a bit square.

He would be the one stood at the front with Border and Ponting.

Whereas dressing room etc, who was the bloke they ran to when Symonds turned up in Bristol morning of a test?

Warne. He was the bloke who put him in the cold shower then told him to sort his life out.

It was Warne who separated Clarke and Langer in the changing room on a run out etc.

I think Gilchrist just didn't carry that same trust etc.

You're gonna have to spill more on that part! Langer is not a favourite of mine....he is lined up to be the next Aussie coach when Boof packs in, is that right? That will be a tough team to play against if they play in his spirit

Is Matthew Hayden involved in the game? Another one I could watch all day

There's been technically better wicket keepers but none able to bat like he could.

England's Jack Russell was technically the best keeper I've seen

JR wasn't even the best keeper in England at the time, Colin Metson was superior in my opinion, but Gilly redefined the role of a keeper, now you have to bat, no question.

JR wasn't even the best keeper in England at the time, Colin Metson was superior in my opinion, but Gilly redefined the role of a keeper, now you have to bat, no question.

I've been watching cricket since 1954 and Jack Russell is the best I've seen in that time.

Archived