IGNORED

The Ashes

bs3

Came and lived his retirement years in Australia I believe.

He did - became a bit of a recluse as well, I believe?

And so you should be. That brilliant bowler's career was ended by the whinging Aussies. Jardine sussed how to exploit Bradman's weakness for short pitched bowling but once politics and the whinging Aussie players and admin held sway Jardine and Larwood were sacrificed to keep the Aussies in the cricket family. SHAME !

Remember there was a serious on bbc2 going back a few years now on the series. To be fair, it was brutal - no protective gear either. I get they had a whinge about it, but I think I would have too!

Now I will let that one through to the keeper.

Hence to say that my views on the antics of that Jardine side will differ from yours no doubt...

They played within the rules and despite the furore about leg theory (bodyline) being dangerous, the only two injuries at Adelaide, indeed the entire series, occurred with conventional fields!

He did - became a bit of a recluse as well, I believe?

Remember there was a serious on bbc2 going back a few years now on the series. To be fair, it was brutal - no protective gear either. I get they had a whinge about it, but I think I would have too!

Gubby Allen, the third fast bowler, was an amateur so he could refuse to have anything to do with it. That, I believe, was the right decision.

Mate you are taking the p---- right?

Are you seriously going to defend bodyline bowling?

Never in my years have I heard someone do that.

You even get taught at school how disgraceful that strategy was!! 

The two injuries in 1932-33 both occurred when storyline bowling wasn't employed! The reason bodyline was banned was coz the 'Great' Don Bradman was suspect to it. 

Gubby Allen, the third fast bowler, was an amateur so he could refuse to have anything to do with it. That, I believe, was the right decision.

Have to say, I'd go with Gubby on that one. I get sport at the highest level is different, but that was just dangerous - although effective. It's like only spear tackles being allowed in rugby

The two injuries in 1932-33 both occurred when storyline bowling wasn't employed! The reason bodyline was banned was coz the 'Great' Don Bradman was suspect to it. 

I read somewhere he didn't deal with it too well, so I guess it done it's job. Not for me though

Which makes it all the more shameful that Larwood, following orders, was never selected for England ever again despite tearing the Aussies apart and having Bradman in his pocket!

I miss Warney.

Haven't we got over this yet, Fordy?

Gilchrist is the one I miss the most. Even as a proud Englishman I could watch him bat all day. Warne was a bit too cocky for me, Gilly was a gent. Says a lot that they didn't think too much of each other, real clash of personalities

Haven't we got over this yet, Fordy?

Gilchrist is the one I miss the most. Even as a proud Englishman I could watch him bat all day. Warne was a bit too cocky for me, Gilly was a gent. Says a lot that they didn't think too much of each other, real clash of personalities

Whatever. Warne was simply the best leggie ever.

You see what I did there, there was a bit of 'aggro' between the English and our Aussie brethren, I introduced Bodyline and now we all love each other and the English are singing the praises of great Aussie cricketers of the past. Bodyline, it works every time.

Whatever. Warne was simply the best leggie ever.

Not just the best leggie but one of the best spinners of all time.

Atherton said the difference between Murali and Warne was that Warne had the better cricket brain and worked out a batsman weaknesses very quickly.

You see what I did there, there was a bit of 'aggro' between the English and our Aussie brethren, I introduced Bodyline and now we all love each other and the English are singing the praises of great Aussie cricketers of the past. Bodyline, it works every time.

Who would of thought panty liners could have such an effect!

Not just the best leggie but one of the best spinners of all time.

Atherton said the difference between Murali and Warne was that Warne had the better cricket brain and worked out a batsman weaknesses very quickly.

And didn't chuck it

Interesting you say Warne and Gilchrist.

Had a very intense dislike of each other for varying reasons but on the field no one was the wiser and they played very well together.

You wouldn't have known from the encouragement Gilchrist always gave from behind the stumps

I read one of the reasons was Warne's extra curricular activities.....didn't Gilly wed his high school sweetheart and could never understand why Warne couldn't keep it in his jockstrap?

Archived