IGNORED

The Ashes

bs3

He doesn't! Bats 3 in Championship, but he certainly has opened in the past

Opens more in OD cricket for Worcester

I'd like to see him given a chance, Woodsy. Sure it might seem a bit radical but there are no obvious candidates and Ali batting at 7 or 8 is a bit of an insult to his ability really. I think that some of the criticism of Lyth has been unfair but it's clear that he's not the answer. I don't think he'll be on the plane to Dubai so I don't see the point in him playing at the Oval. You'd still have Rashid and Broad at 8 and 9, which is some batting line up and an attack of Anderson, Broad, Finn/Wood, Stokes, Rashid and Ali if required. Plenty of options and it hardly weakens the batting unless Ali is completely and utterly useless at the top of the order.

It's great having Ali come in at 8 and bash it around with the tailenders but whatever the future holds for him, England really need to sort out the top order. Only Root has got centuries so far in this series and how many times have they been 3 or 4 down cheaply? They could be skittled in the UAE and SA if they just stand still and admire what they've done this summer. Admittedly they've improved things by bumping Bell and Root up the order but still...

If you think Ali has the technique to open against the new ball in Test cricket then I shake my head at you.

Would agree with this. He's free at 8 to come in and play his shots. If anything it should be Buttler dropping down for him, he looks completely out of form

Lyth needs more time, cant keep chopping and changing the openers.. Compton, Robson etc.

Lyth is a very good batsman, needs time.

Agree with this too. He's got runs, a lot of runs, in the Championship, that's all he could do. I didn't agree with dropping Compton as early as they did, Robson just didn't look the part to me. Stick with him, if it doesn't happen in UAE then the problem is he could be too shot to be given another go. Then it's SA, away. Doesn't get any easier, does it!

If you think Ali has the technique to open against the new ball in Test cricket then I shake my head at you.

Compton played at 3 for Somerset but opened for England. It's not out of the question but personally I think part of the reason he's done well is because he's down the order. Sure move him to 6 or 7 but leave it at that.

Anyone think Bell might retire at the end of the series? Think it might be a good point to go out - if he does then maybe you might consider Ali at 3 in those circumstances.

Thats the problem though isnt it? No settled opener to partner Cook.

Quite. Let's remember how awful Bell was in 2005 versus the Aussies. We stuck with him and look how that turned out.

Not cricket related but Australian related.

Anyone see Nick Kyrgios make a sexual slur about Stan Wawrinka's girlfriend during a match... Somes the Aussies up on a sporting level/sportsmanship as lowlifes.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/stan-wawrinka-urges-action-against-nick-kyrgios-103902011--ten.html

He is known to be a complete bellend and nowhere near as good as he thinks he is. Sums up the Aussies.

...and we're on to the final test.

Happen to be in Surrey today and its pretty humid/overcast this morning with temps set to rise into the mid/low 20's.. I'd imagine its a good morning to bowl again. Toss Crucial then.

...and we're on to the final test.

Happen to be in Surrey today and its pretty humid/overcast this morning with temps set to rise into the mid/low 20's.. I'd imagine its a good morning to bowl again. Toss Crucial then.

If it stays dry this could be another short test match!

They reckon the wicket is greener than than Trent Bridge. Aussie press aren't happy about it.

Imagine that! Having to play a test match in England in English conditions! They have every right to be outraged, the Aussies have never prepared rock hard, bone-dry pitches to help their quick bowlers have they?!

Imagine that! Having to play a test match in England in English conditions! They have every right to be outraged, the Aussies have never prepared rock hard, bone-dry pitches to help their quick bowlers have they?!

Particularly not at Perth for the First Test.

Certainly not!!!

There is a very strange delusion in the Australian psyche about how they see others versus how they see themselves. It was like the whole "Broad is a cheating ****" thing because he didn't walk when he edged it and how it's the worst crime a batsman can commit. Strangely, I haven't heard the same vitriol reserved for Peter Nevil who edged a ball and didn't walk at Edgbaston...

Brisbane and The Gabbatoir is the first test?

All this whinging, have people not worked out yet that Australia is a barren desert of a land and England, in the words of the sorely missed Aussie, is a green pebble. Green pitch with a cloudy atmosphere is as much our conditions as rock hard and fast in Australia's. Can you imagine how they'd laugh if we said Brisbane was just too bloody hot and bouncy if we'd lost there?

Apparently we're bad winners, they are ******* awful losers. Malcolm Conn, the most racist **** I've ever encountered is worth a follow on twitter. What a****

Brisbane and The Gabbatoir is the first test?

All this whinging, have people not worked out yet that Australia is a barren desert of a land and England, in the words of the sorely missed Aussie, is a green pebble. Green pitch with a cloudy atmosphere is as much our conditions as rock hard and fast in Australia's. Can you imagine how they'd laugh if we said Brisbane was just too bloody hot and bouncy if we'd lost there?

Apparently we're bad winners, they are ******* awful losers. Malcolm Conn, the most racist **** I've ever encountered is worth a follow on twitter. What a ****

Always used to be the WACA. Prolly because that's the nearest to UK.

Always used to be the WACA. Prolly because that's the nearest to UK.

I'm sure the order now is Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth, Melbourne (Boxing Day) & the New Years test in Sydney

Don't think the order changes, not to say that Perth didn't used to be first up

I'm sure the order now is Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth, Melbourne (Boxing Day) & the New Years test in Sydney

Don't think the order changes, not to say that Perth didn't used to be first up

In the very old days, Freeo was the first place the ship called, and Perth remained the first venue for quite a while after that. It was the Winides baptism of fire, and look what came of that :o

In the very old days, Freeo was the first place the ship called, and Perth remained the first venue for quite a while after that. It was the Winides baptism of fire, and look what came of that :o

Good knowledge!

So we have Perth to thank for several generations of fast WI bowlers!

Archived