IGNORED

The Ashes

bs3

Same discussion topic on Sky.

Michael Holding was saying that it doesn't help the bowler if he's repeatedly overstepping and only finds out when he takes a wicket.

Yes, that's the discussion I was party too. But, surely the umpires not looking out for or calling no balls are depriving teams of runs they would acquire for the calling of the no ball. Seems very odd to me. Will we one day have it in football where offside is only calledif on a review of a goal someone is seen to be offside?

And I think the biggest sport in Australia is cricket.

I'm not sure on numbers but purely because its the true national game.

AFL is played by VIC, TAS, SA and WA.

NRL is played by NSW and QLD.

Rugby union by NSW, QLD and WA.

Everyone plays and watches cricket.

Aussie old mate you really have let yourself down with this post. Lets clear up all the errors:

1) AFL is played in VIC, TAS, SA and WA .................... NO, NO, NO !!

Sydney Swans are from which state ?  Brisbane Lions are from which state ?   I am not aware of any TAS team that plays in the AFL but please correct me if I am wrong.

2) NRL is played in NSW & QLD ................. NO, NO, NO !!

Canberra Raiders are from which state / territory ?  Melbourne Storm are from which state ?  Auckland Warriors are from which state / territory / country ?

I'm sure you're right but I'm going on experience culturally.

Walk around Sydney or all of Queensland on AFL Grand Final Day and majority won't even know a game is on.

Same with NRL GF in Melbourne and that's when the Storm are even in the final!

Whereas cricket - everyone plays it and everyone will be watching us win the Ashes or have an interest.

It's the one truly national sport.

Sorry but one word sums up these observations ...................... Bollycocks !!

Yes, that's the discussion I was party too. But, surely the umpires not looking out for or calling no balls are depriving teams of runs they would acquire for the calling of the no ball. Seems very odd to me. Will we one day have it in football where offside is only calledif on a review of a goal someone is seen to be offside?

Indeed - that was my train of though as well.

And.... I can see football adopting a similar strategy with offside rule.

The point is they are probably the worst losers this side of Tharg.

It is the end of their universe .......... until the nest series, of course.

"Their boys took one HELL of a beating!!!!"

TFR

what ia a NEST series ? Eastenders with Sparrows ?

I actually don't have a problem with Clarke yes he has said stuff he probably regrets as have many but think he has handled himself in a class way especially with the Phil Hughes tragedy. Good luck to him

I actually don't have a problem with Clarke yes he has said stuff he probably regrets as have many but think he has handled himself in a class way especially with the Phil Hughes tragedy. Good luck to him

Spot on Super.  I think the Hughes tragedy has a taken a bit of the 'edge' off the Aussies and they weren't quite as in your face as they would otherwise have been.

Presumably Aussie will be on in a bit to predict a 4-3 Aussie series win.

Generally find Clarke to be a very decent bloke and a gracious loser. Same as Ponting before him. Sure, they always want to batter us, but they speak well of England in defeat interviews.

Spot on Super. I think the Hughes tragedy has a taken a bit of the 'edge' off the Aussies and they weren't quite as in your face as they would otherwise have been.

Definitely, and to be fair they and the England team said when it happened that Hughes' death should be a watershed moment in relations between the 2 teams. The last couple of series before this one had a really nasty edge to them. I'm all for a bit of sledging but the general feeling was that it had gone too far.

Archived