IGNORED

Cotterill To Leicester [Merged]

Yatecity

Isn't that what happened when he joined us???????

No, not really. On occasions OTIB can be unrepresentative of the more silent majority.

There were maybe ten or so regulars on here who were extremely critical of both the appointment and Cotterill himself, quoting a few bitter Forest fans, and making their observations very personal. These strong anti Cotterill views, though not aired by huge numbers, were written with such bile, animosity, and repetitiveness that they stick in the mind retrospectively as being the general view at the time.

However there were others who openly welcomed him and also many of us who at the very least were willing to keep our powder dry and give him the benefit of the doubt and see how he got on. 

Away from this forum I didn't come across one City fan who shared the strong dislike of Cotterill shown by the vociferous few on here and most were either in favour of the appointment or more than willing to at least give him a chance.

No, not really. On occasions OTIB can be unrepresentative of the more silent majority.

There were maybe ten or so regulars on here who were extremely critical of both the appointment and Cotterill himself, quoting a few bitter Forest fans, and making their observations very personal. These strong anti Cotterill views, though not aired by huge numbers, were written with such bile, animosity, and repetitiveness that they stick in the mind retrospectively as being the general view at the time.

However there were others who openly welcomed him and also many of us who at the very least were willing to keep our powder dry and give him the benefit of the doubt and see how he got on. 

Away from this forum I didn't come across one City fan who shared the strong dislike of Cotterill shown by the vociferous few on here and most were either in favour of the appointment or more than willing to at least give him a chance.

I remember it somewhat differently. There were almost 250 votes (here) against his appointment and in the first two pages the most positive comment is about Susanna Reid.

I remember it somewhat differently. There were almost 250 votes (here) against his appointment and in the first two pages the most positive comment is about Susanna Reid.

So, in a gut reaction, mostly pre appointment poll, 242 were against, and 192 not against. Very much split then, just as you'd expect at any club under the circumstances.

Not forgetting this is a very opinionated forum where many evidently felt it necessary to vote negatively on a completely ill informed basis, or clearly followed a herd mentality without giving the matter due thought.

Those vehemently against Cotterill were in reality still a small minority, and even many of those would have stopped to think after hearing his initial interviews and joined the majority away from this forum willing to at least give him a chance.

400 odd voting on a forum clearly does not give a true picture, in fact such a small response in itself indicates a lack of widespread strong feeling against the appointment.

When the dust had settled and fans had had time to digest the appointment and actually listen to the man speak, attitudes - apart from a vocal few who for some reason had to keep telling us they disliked him personally - were softening. By the time Cotterill stepped onto the AG pitch to take control of his first game the welcome from the fans was overwhelmingly positive and that, as well as speaking to fans myself at the time, is where I draw my conclusions from as to how the appointment was actually received by the silent majority away from a small poll on an often overly reactive forum. Though of course no appointment will ever be unanimously well received, particularly from an at the time completely pissed off and disillusioned fanbase.

Cotterill later said he was unaware of any animosity towards his appointment, so away from the confines of this strongly opinionated and often unrepresentative forum, often full of throwaway unsubstantiated comment from a handful of fans it seems to me he must have felt a reasonably positive response both in his postbag and from meeting fans out there in the real world.

The two managers in recent years that on appointment I thought would be fantastic for us share the same initials.

I think that demonstrates how easy it is to be right or wrong....

So, in a gut reaction, mostly pre appointment poll, 242 were against, and 192 not against. Very much split then, just as you'd expect at any club under the circumstances.

Not forgetting this is a very opinionated forum where many evidently felt it necessary to vote negatively on a completely ill informed basis, or clearly followed a herd mentality without giving the matter due thought.

Those vehemently against Cotterill were in reality still a small minority, and even many of those would have stopped to think after hearing his initial interviews and joined the majority away from this forum willing to at least give him a chance.

400 odd voting on a forum clearly does not give a true picture, in fact such a small response in itself indicates a lack of widespread strong feeling against the appointment.

When the dust had settled and fans had had time to digest the appointment and actually listen to the man speak, attitudes - apart from a vocal few who for some reason had to keep telling us they disliked him personally - were softening. By the time Cotterill stepped onto the AG pitch to take control of his first game the welcome from the fans was overwhelmingly positive and that, as well as speaking to fans myself at the time, is where I draw my conclusions from as to how the appointment was actually received by the silent majority away from a small poll on an often overly reactive forum. Though of course no appointment will ever be unanimously well received, particularly from an at the time completely pissed off and disillusioned fanbase.

Cotterill later said he was unaware of any animosity towards his appointment, so away from the confines of this strongly opinionated and often unrepresentative forum, often full of throwaway unsubstantiated comment from a handful of fans it seems to me he must have felt a reasonably positive response both in his postbag and from meeting fans out there in the real world.

Not a huge majority, but outnumbering the 'yes' vote almost by a factor of three, it's certainly how I remember the feeling at the time.

I'm not sure you can speak for people as to why they voted either. I spoke to friends who support Forest, Portsmouth and Burnley, and had memories of him playing Tal Ben-Haim at left back and announcing how Forest had battered us 0-0, both at AG on two separate occasions, so I voted no. I wouldn't consider that misinformed at the time but maybe you would.

Considering the board openly hid from the media on the day of his appointment, I'd take his claim that he didn't know anything about a negative response with an ocean full of salt.

Archived