IGNORED

Cotterill To Leicester [Merged]

Yatecity

I just wonder that if Leicester 'aim to high' with their wish list (big Sam, O'Neil etc) then there may come a point where SC is a possibility...

I wonder if after they had their fingers burned with Sven they may be reticent to aim too high. Pearson wasn't necessarily an ambitious appointment either.

Something tells me if(!) they were interested in Cotts his stock wouldn't be a problem.

I do recoil in horror at those names, and no, I didn't recoil when Cotts was announced.

I wouldn't swap Cotterill for any of those, in fact I'm struggling to think of one manager I'd rather have at the helm at this moment.

The cap fits for him here at City and he's wearing it with distinguished aplomb.

Let's not understate this potential threat to BCFC for one moment, it would be an absolute disaster for City if Cotterill is tempted elsewhere now.

It really wouldn't be an 'absolute disaster'. An absolute disaster is having to replace your manager when you're second bottom of league one, staring two straight delegations in the face. Our stock has not been higher than it is now for a long time.

It would be bad news, but let's have some perspective.

It really wouldn't be an 'absolute disaster'. An absolute disaster is having to replace your manager when you're second bottom of league one, staring two straight delegations in the face. Our stock has not been higher than it is now for a long time.

I suppose the danger is that if Cotts does suddenly pack his bags, any new manager would have virtually no time to find new players. I did even wonder if that's why we haven't signed anyone - cos Cotts was waiting to see where his future lies...

I suppose the danger is that if Cotts does suddenly pack his bags, any new manager would have virtually no time to find new players. I did even wonder if that's why we haven't signed anyone - cos Cotts was waiting to see where his future lies...

Better in July than November though...

That's your opinion, mine is that Cotterill's personal influence has been fundamental to City's dramatic revival.

Most of the playing staff, the back room staff and the successful and entertaining style of football are of his choice and in his image.

We have the almost unique situation where the board, the players and the fans are fully behind the manager. The club is on a high not seen for many years and under his continued management there is justifiable optimism that the club will not just stabilise happily in the Championship, but ultimately exit the division in an upward direction.

If he goes all the momentum of the last 18 months comes under threat, some of our best players, and staff, may even follow him, a poor choice of replacement could be made, the club could destabilise and we could be back to square one in L1 in double quick time.

I'm amazed any City fan would seek to diminish the vital importance of Cotterill to the club at this time - it seems to me City had the great good fortune to strike gold when we appointed him and keeping him as City's manager has become absolutely intrinsic to our fortunes going forward.

That's your opinion, mine is that Cotterill's personal influence has been fundamental to City's dramatic revival.

Most of the playing staff, the back room staff and the successful and entertaining style of football are of his choice and in his image.

We have the almost unique situation where the board, the players and the fans are fully behind the manager. The club is on a high not seen for many years and under his continued management there is justifiable optimism that the club will not just stabilise happily in the Championship, but ultimately exit the division in an upward direction.

If he goes all the momentum of the last 18 months comes under threat, some of our best players, and staff, may even follow him, a poor choice of replacement could be made, the club could destabilise and we could be back to square one in L1 in double quick time.

I'm amazed any City fan would seek to diminish the vital importance of Cotterill to the club at this time - it seems to me City had the great good fortune to strike gold when we appointed him and keeping him as City's manager has become absolutely intrinsic to our fortunes going forward.

Exactly.

Not for the first time Nogbad is spot on.

Of course it's my opinion, this is a forum.

Would you honestly equate having to replace a manager in the current position, where our pulling power is far greater than it was in November 2013, to the dire position we found ourselves in then?

It is not to 'diminish' SC's fine work, it's taking off the rose-tinted glasses; yes he's done a great job, but were he to leave now, chances are we'd be far more likely to attract another manager with great talent than when we were staring down the barrel.

I'm not going to search the statistics, but I'd be shocked if clubs losing managers who go on to better jobs don't fare better in the long run than those who sack their managers for poor performance. Which would stop it being an absolute disaster, relative to our previous times of need.

There is a synchronicity about Cotterill's time here, similar to that under GJ.

In simple terms, it's a combination of the right man, in the right place at the right time plus a lot of other factors coming together simultaneously. The redeveloped stadium,  structural changes made by SL and the club to put our future on a proper, planned and sustainable basis. Allied to the financial backing from SL and the potential for the club's future and I hope it would take one hell of an offer to lure SC away from what he has here.

However, SC has been a part of the  synchronicity - his relationship with SL and his players - and even a "better qualified" manager will struggle to come in  an continue to do the same. As we saw under GJ, momentum is a valuable commodity and I would worry that we would lose ours if we lost our manager. 

With respect....take away our 'revival'.... do you think it's a Strong position to be in as a Club, if you base your success on one man?

Surely the success of a Club should be sustainable regardless of managers coming and going?

For me...I'd be more concerned if Keith Burt and Pemberton both left.

In an ideal world, I'd like to see SC and KB work together this season and see how far they can take us.

But a strong Club is one where it is stable, regardless of managers coming and going.

A good illustration would be of when Moyes went to Man Utd. He didn't fail because he's a bad manager....he failed because he tried to change everything about the set up of the Club and it's backroom staff....something that was stable and successful. Get that right...and managers should be able to come and go without a Club spiralling.

In other words....success of a Club shouldn't be down to one managers decisions.

He'd be on a hiding to nothing at Leicester though. They'll never finish top six, so the best he can hope for is mid-table tedium, the worst (and most likely) is relegation, the sack etc. Here at City, he's built a close-knit squad, we have a new stadium in the making....and that's not even mentioning the fact that Leicester is a dump.

Ah the old XX part of the country is a dump, Bristol is the best place in the world argument.

I'm sure the Leicester players and management live in Leicester City centre all sharing a bedsit.

I'm beginning to think there is some mileage to this, he is still near the front of all betting markets and he has been very quiet. His leaving will be a disappointment but I think I would be more concerned about what players he may want to take with him.

Oh for cods sake... Remove this thread.... If OTIB doesn't want to be sued for emotional abuse get rid of this anxiety inducing or at least censor the title.

Arrghhh, its Monday morning ffs, I woke up feeling fine, cheerily logged into the forum and within seconds felt lower than a worms bollock again after catching sight of this bloody thread.

Its like a Chinese water torture, drip drip drip it just goes on and on, akin to making an arachnophobe read a world of spiders picture book from cover to cover every f'ing morning...

For Cotts sake ... Stop this now... I'm a bag of nerves, have retreated to my darkened room and have my head firmly covered by the duvet, let me know when its safe to come out again, I can't take it anymore...

Remove it or I'll be suing yer arse, I know others are feeling this way too, unbearable mental abuse, expect a class-action by the end of the week, if its still here torturing us see ya in court!

;)

I don't think he's going anywhere. Leicester will probably look for a name who's already managed in the Premier League. Can't see any mileage in this one, unless anyone has anything of any substance that I haven't seen: all we are going on are the betting markets.

I'm sure the Leicester players and management live in Leicester City centre all sharing a bedsit.

One of Curbishley's no doubt?

i think some otib fans should look at what Leicester fans think about this possible but unlikely appointment before worrying too much.

Just shows that some fans have absolutely no idea whats going on in the real world.

http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&andor_type=&sid=f01941417f81d3ab0e450c906ac25c52&search_app_filters[forums][sortKey]=date&cType=topic&cId=101328&search_app_filters[forums][sortKey]=date&search_term=steve+cotterill&search_app=forums&st=25

Football amazes me at times, the polarisation of opinions is staggering, OTIB in meltdown at the very thought of losing SC, and Leicester fans threatening to quit the game if they get him.

I think as ever, reality is in the middle, if we were to lose him (and it wont be to Leicester) then the club would move on...it has to.

just some of the comments on the foxes forum

if steve cotterill is announced as manager then i will eat nothing but beans on toast for the rest of my life and not nice beans like heinz i'm talking poverty beans

Steve Cotterill has to be a JOKE !!! ???

Steve Cotterill gone from 20/1 to 5/2 on PP, the owners should not have sacked Nige full stop, let alone for Steve Cotterill !

my favourite !!

"Out of interest who would you rather have, Cotterill or Lennon.

that's like asking me if I'd prefer Cancer or Ebola" 

Unbelievable really.

Panic over - Leicester want a manager whose successfully managed abroad or at international level, so step up Gary Johnson.

However, they seem to have learnt a lesson re allowing managers to employ their sons, so Lee won't be joining (in a playing capacity, at least)

I don't even understand the panic the more I think about it, the bloke has just won a double with a club that is rebuilding it's stadium and investing heavily in making itself a lot bigger, why would he leave that club which is more like a home to him than most to go to Leicester who are far more likely to sack him if there are poor performances and have a lot more players that are not of the Cotterill mould.

I can see ambition playing a big part in it and I'm sure the funds at Leicester would be better but the job is ten times harder than it would be here, getting to the Prem is a challenge, staying there is a whole different thing all together.

I think Steve knows he's loved here, he knows the players appreciate him, he knows the board and owner appreciate him and he knows if he stays here he'll be backed to push this club to new levels, why would you leave that to fight relegation at a club that probably wouldn't even be that welcoming to him?

I don't even understand the panic the more I think about it, the bloke has just won a double with a club that is rebuilding it's stadium and investing heavily in making itself a lot bigger, why would he leave that club which is more like a home to him than most to go to Leicester who are far more likely to sack him if there are poor performances and have a lot more players that are not of the Cotterill mould.

I can see ambition playing a big part in it and I'm sure the funds at Leicester would be better but the job is ten times harder than it would be here, getting to the Prem is a challenge, staying there is a whole different thing all together.

I think Steve knows he's loved here, he knows the players appreciate him, he knows the board and owner appreciate him and he knows if he stays here he'll be backed to push this club to new levels, why would you leave that to fight relegation at a club that probably wouldn't even be that welcoming to him?

Isn't that what happened when he joined us???????

Isn't that what happened when he joined us???????

That's true but I think he knew he had the board's backing and was joining a club where in all fairness even if he lost every game it wouldn't be much worse than where we were before him, a lot different at Leicester, especially after the final 3rd of the season they had where they were firing on all cylinders.

Archived