IGNORED

Jesse Lingard

Cider-in-a-can

Andy cole always said we were a stepping stone when he signed for us , and it worked for him , playing regular football is better than being stuck on a bench or u21 football .

Didn't really work for us though, did it? Cole played well on loan, but once signed permanently was often a disappointment and admitted being distracted every time there was speculation about him going to another club. Don't forget he was only with us for about eight months as a permanent player.

Didn't really work for us though, did it? Cole played well on loan, but once signed permanently was often a disappointment and admitted being distracted every time there was speculation about him going to another club. Don't forget he was only with us for about eight months as a permanent player.

Are you having a laugh , he was outstanding , we then made a ton of dough when he went to newcastle !

Are you having a laugh , he was outstanding , we then made a ton of dough when he went to newcastle !

Not how I remember it. He had some great moments, but he also misfired at times, and I remember him apologising for his poor form, and saying that all the speculation about transfers elsewhere had unsettled him. I remember the hat-trick against Cardiff in the League Cup as the high point, but after that we struggled as a team, and Denis Smith was sacked as a result. Cole's quality was absolutely clear, but the 12 goals he scored didn't help us that much (if I remember correctly, at least two were consolation goals in matches in which we were heavily beaten). I stand corrected, but I don't think he scored a winning goal for us in the 1992/93 season, and we were in 21st place when he left.

Not how I remember it. He had some great moments, but he also misfired at times, and I remember him apologising for his poor form, and saying that all the speculation about transfers elsewhere had unsettled him. I remember the hat-trick against Cardiff in the League Cup as the high point, but after that we struggled as a team, and Denis Smith was sacked as a result. Cole's quality was absolutely clear, but the 12 goals he scored didn't help us that much (if I remember correctly, at least two were consolation goals in matches in which we were heavily beaten). I stand corrected, but I don't think he scored a winning goal for us in the 1992/93 season, and we were in 21st place when he left.

That season we had a strikeforce of Cole, Dzeikonowski, Allison and Morgan! Easily enough to challenge for promotion but unfortunately our midfield and defense was utter dross. We took some right hammerings that year, 5-1 at home to West Ham, 0-5s at Newcastle and Brentford, and worst of all a 0-4 at Trumpton.

15 minutes ago, Super said:

Sure some said he wasn't good enough for us! Mind you some did say Deli Alli wasn't very good and wouldn't cut it in the Prem....

I don't remember anyone saying he wouldn't be good enough for us, mostly disbelief and excitement that it might have been happening (which it never was apparently). Could be wrong though and you might be able to dig out a post saying he wouldn't cut it. 

Archived