IGNORED

The Official Sheffield Wednesday V Champions Match Day Thread

I know this is stronger opposition etc but we looked more together as a unit in the first game at Sheffield Utd last season than we do today.

Team spirit obviously couldn't last forever, but it's a vital component of a successful season. Hopefully the new lads can settle in quick

I have a feeling cotts interview may be slightly cringeworthy tonight. I sincerely hopes he admits they were beaten by the better team.

If I was him I'd be hard pressed not to mention my displeasure at the ref allowing Wednesday players to batter 3 of my team in the first half.

I'm sure he'll resist the temptation though.

I know this is stronger opposition etc but we looked more together as a unit in the first game at Sheffield Utd last season than we do today.

You're right.

It is stronger opposition.

Those who have posted this summer about the gap "not being great" are completely deluded.

The wake up call here is that every point at this level needs to be won and our summer recruitment (which virtually started on Thursday) has left us behind the rest.

• Like 1

No, it's fine you told me.

We can go into this with a squad of about 12, surely?

I may not be understanding you correctly but our squad is bigger than 12. Though I didn't mean we need more in terms of transfer(which we do but wasn't my point). I mean the lads need to dig a bit deeper into their abilities for this league. I think they're capable. It's most of their first games in this league. I think this will serve as a wake up to them all. And I'm very sure we will be much sharper next weekend on set pieces and counters. I saw I think Bradford score 2 set prices against us in a match last season. Can't recall many after. Also recall the other Sheffield counter us at the gate to the tune of 3-1. Don't recall many more after that. Cotts will straighten them out on that front.

We have not been that bad, just could not get Wilbs/ Kodger into the game, in hindsight would have been better with one up front and extra man in midfield I think.

I disagree completely, they've got through the defence over and over again which is crazy when our defence has probably been the only decent performers today.

Pack and Smith have not had any real impact on the game at all and instead we've resorted to playing long diagonal passes that for the most part saw us lose possession. Wilbs and Kodjia seemed to get little to no supply and then Kodjia got take off when out of him and Wilbs he looked the only one likely to create something from nothing.

Freeman got little to no penetration through Wednesdays defence either so our three central midfielders were essentially just worked out of the game.

I can't decide if it's the formation or the difference in quality but one thing is certain, we hoofed far too much for the first 60 minutes and after going 2-0 down we started actually passing the ball short and the players were showing for the ball. If Cotterill thinks we can just do what we did last season in the Championship I'm a little worried as the quality in this league is much much higher and we won't get results by playing long diagonal passes over and over.