IGNORED

The Official Sheffield Wednesday V Champions Match Day Thread

I'm not too worried about losing today 1st games of the season are Always nervy and sometimes won by teams who have had a better pre season.

It's interesting to see in match stats we had 58% possession.I would of thought that was mostly from passing back and forth between the midfield and defence .

Wednesday were organised and were quick to put us under pressure once we entered there half.although in the first half they edged it we had no real clear cut chances until the burns chance.

Today we knew who would play in the midfield and have no pressure on there places all summer . You do have to wonder if this played a factor today . There seemed to be not many players making runs other than our strikers+ Freeman . Using our wing backs a lot becoming very predict able .

I would of liked to have seen Cotterill be bold and try 3 up front as we only had a chance with burns due to a set play .

• Like 1

I like Pack but he does make a lot of bad choices in dangerous areas, his radar was a bit off today and gave it away too much.

This.

Not writing him off at all, but seemed too casual when he should have been cautious at times today, and as mentioned; hit some stunning balls, but also attempted these at other times when easier ones were available.

Think he might be the victim of not quite fitting the role he is asked to played sometimes i.e. turning over play to the likes of Freeman and the wing backs, rather than looking for the pass to the forwards.

That said; was puzzled why neither of Jo or Wilbs dropped deeper in order to shake their markers or mix it up there, but sure their understanding will build.

Wasn't woeful, but wasn't assured at all; kinks will get worked on, I'm sure.

I think that we lost the match on the midfield zone: Fredericks joined the team only two days ago, so he was'nt able to connect properly with his team-mates on the pitch, whereas Burns was very good in attack, but lacked something in the defensive work; Freeman was left alone too many times, Pack and Smith didn't play well.

Wilbraham and Kodjia had a negative performance too, but the main cause, IMO, was the amount of passing errors by the midfielders.

I found the defensive trio quite good; unfortunately, I cant' say the same about Frankie.

To me, the main aspect the team should increase is the attacking play.

We still need to sign a few players but we needed that before today and we would have needed that if we had won 4-0 today. Wake-up call to the championship today. Always thought it would be a tough game and those in cuckoo land need to get there feet in the ground. Next game Luton!

Experienced players would be the best option, IMO, especially for the midfield.

Edited by Dan Robin

Felt we were the better side, game changed after first goal, felt Sheffield had something to sit back on. Felt that the mistakes we made today had been made in league one.

Now the unconvincing part:

"are you looking forward to two home games now Steve?"

"um...probably... "

Wtf?

It worries me that SC genuinely thought we we were the better side until the goal. We were so plainly not. Does he really believe that? I hope he doesn't.

@alidurdenBBC: Owner Steve Lansdown admits #BristolCity taken aback by demands of clubs and players this summer. Still "2-3 players light at this stage."

Don't think it was 2-3 on the way, more like 2-3 more short at the moment.

We are coming across as somewhat naive - God help us if we get anywhere near the prem circus

Seems to have 4 options

Run with what we've got

Loans

Sign players judged as inferior

Pay the market rate

No one os going to take pity on us !

• Like 1

It worries me that SC genuinely thought we we were the better side until the goal. We were so plainly not. Does he really believe that? I hope he doesn't.

I think it is obvious there is a difference between what he thinks and what he says..

guys get a grip of yourselves.

More inclined to do that when we win. (Sorry couldn't help it!)

Can't take too much from the first game or two of a season (which is why I never start betting until a few games in). SW may walk away with the title and this result not look too bad, or it may turn out that we're one of few teams to come away with at least a point from them.

Hopefully, it will mean that SL will ensure the necessary cash is available to strengthen if he wasn't already....

@alidurdenBBC: Owner Steve Lansdown admits #BristolCity taken aback by demands of clubs and players this summer. Still "2-3 players light at this stage."

Don't think it was 2-3 on the way, more like 2-3 more short at the moment.

Thanks for clarifying. If we were taken aback it suggests that we didn't do much research. Given we were promoted in good time we should have been well prepared for the transfer window. Instead we seem to have been taken by surprise, with no guarantee we wil get the 2 or 3 we need. It amounts to saying "We had no idea what wages and fees were paid in the Championship". Surprised Steve admitted as much, as it belies the slick professional approach to recruitment we thought was now in place.

• Like 1

Wow! I knew Pack was going to become a scapegoat for most people this season, in fact most had written him off before a ball was kicked, but my god, what a ridiculous overreaction to him today. Didn't think he'd be singled out quite this quickly.

All of the team were poor today if compared with the performances we know they are capable of. No one came out with any credit besides maybe (just) Flint.

Pack got tackled in his own half once in the first half and once in the second. He took a booking for the team rather than letting a man run free (just the same as Fredericks did, but he's not copped any flack for that), he made a couple of poor passes in the first half but spread the ball well in the second including a few passes threaded through to the strikers / wingbacks.

In comparison Korey Smith did pretty much f-all all game, apart from giving the ball away numerous times more than Pack did, including one where he gifted the ball to Lopez on the edge of the box which should have been a goal.

If you watched that game not having seen any of our team play before, you'd say Smith was our weakest midfielder.

I'm not saying he is, nor slagging him off, but he was much worse than Pack today, yet the scapegoat goes to Pack.

For what it's worth, I thought Fielding obviously made a cock-up, Bryan (whilst on) and Fredericks were completely ineffective wingbacks, Smith was terrible, Freeman disappeared second half, and the front 2, Wilb & Kodge were absolutely dire.

Williams was horrible defensively and had a mare against Wallace & Hunt, and Ayling got caught out a number of times down his side too, and susceptible to a ball over the top once or twice as well.

Pack, for me, was probably better than all bar Flint today. He made a couple of bad forward passes, and got tackled twice. Bloody hell. I can sense young Marlon being in a very long season with most of you lot. Ludicrous opinions (that's my opinion).

On first showing, our new signings will need some time to bed in. Kodjia looked very poor I have to say, and Fred looked scared. I'm willing to give them both time to settle in a new team and challenging league, but seems most of you lot have written off Pack on the back of a bad team performance in which he was nowhere near our worst midfielder, let alone worst player.

• Like 2

Wow! I knew Pack was going to become a scapegoat for most people this season, in fact most had written him off before a ball was kicked, but my god, what a ridiculous overreaction to him today. Didn't think he'd be singled out quite this quickly.

All of the team were poor today if compared with the performances we know they are capable of. No one came out with any credit besides maybe (just) Flint.

Pack got tackled in his own half once in the first half and once in the second. He took a booking for the team rather than letting a man run free (just the same as Fredericks did, but he's not copped any flack for that), he made a couple of poor passes in the first half but spread the ball well in the second including a few passes threaded through to the strikers / wingbacks.

In comparison Korey Smith did pretty much f-all all game, apart from giving the ball away numerous times more than Pack did, including one where he gifted the ball to Lopez on the edge of the box which should have been a goal.

If you watched that game not having seen any of our team play before, you'd say Smith was our weakest midfielder.

I'm not saying he is, nor slagging him off, but he was much worse than Pack today, yet the scapegoat goes to Pack.

For what it's worth, I thought Fielding obviously made a cock-up, Bryan (whilst on) and Fredericks were completely ineffective wingbacks, Smith was terrible, Freeman disappeared second half, and the front 2, Wilb & Kodge were absolutely dire.

Williams was horrible defensively and had a mare against Wallace & Hunt, and Ayling got caught out a number of times down his side too, and susceptible to a ball over the top once or twice as well.

Pack, for me, was probably better than all bar Flint today. He made a couple of bad forward passes, and got tackled twice. Bloody hell. I can sense young Marlon being in a very long season with most of you lot. Ludicrous opinions (that's my opinion).

On first showing, our new signings will need some time to bed in. Kodjia looked very poor I have to say, and Fred looked scared. I'm willing to give them both time to settle in a new team and challenging league, but seems most of you lot have written off Pack on the back of a bad team performance in which he was nowhere near our worst midfielder, let alone worst player.

I had Pack ( along with Ayling) down as our most impressive player after 34 mins. on the match thread.

Only my opinion of course but very surprised at the volume of disagreement against MP.

I've never been either a convinced advocate of Pack or a detractor, I'll form my opinion on what I see as his career progresses.

I thought he did fine for the most part today - far from being a clear weak link - but unfortunately it seems many others have made an irrevocable decision that they don't rate him.

• Like 1

Think we were a bit too spread at the back. Williams and Ayling looked to me almost fullbacks at times and when we lost possession, it was a quick over the top ball into space and their pace was a bit much for Ayling and Williams. I'm sure we'll be fine but it was a rough start. Sure the lads will want to do better at home. They'll be ready for Brentford.

I hope you don't mind a Wednesday fan barging in.  I spent much of my childhood in Bristol and sometimes stood in the Enclosure to watch City in Division one.  (A 3-2 against Leeds comes to mind.  And names!  Merrick!  Drysdale! Sweeney!  Fear!  And - heartbreaking - Paul Cheeseley).  Subsequently have always kept an eye on their results.

I  can't comment about individual players: it was bad enough trying to identify our own.  But:

• I was struck looking at the programme by how small the squad seems to be.  Obviously that's not an issue that bears on today, but you guys really are going to need more bodies.  
  • It really is a big step up.  When we came up in 2012 we had had an immense run from mid-Jan, and I really thought we would be competitive.  Not so.  So take a goal like our second: you can say it was a nice quick punchy counter, and you can say that City's defending was naive, and both are true.  But: the point is you seldom have to cope with anything like that in the lower league.  At the most general level, I would say that players who looked  fine  in league one can often just look slow and clumsy in the championship
  • Until the first goal, I thought it was a reasonable well-organised defensive performance was City, esp in the middle.  From time to time you were ripped apart down the flanks, but to be honest Mattias, Wallace and Hunt (all making debuts) are more challenging than you'll normally face.  
  • The main worry would be a lack of creativity and a lack of strength upfront.  I couldn't quite see where the goals were coming from.  Tho' possibly you should have had the penalty near the end: I thought not, but both my kids thought it was.  But the upcoming home matches will be the better test.

I wouldn't by any means think of pressing panic buttons, and unquestionably you'll learn.  But Mr L does I think need to authorise some spend..

• Like 7

People may just be judging Pack on what they've seen of him , not just today but in his career to date , incl with us in L1 Harry

Just a point to ponder

Don't think people are judging him on today's performance alone and to infer so is naive

Biggest thing for me is zero pace over 5 or 20 yes and you have to be some player to be competitive in a midfield role in Champ to make it without it

I enjoy reading your posts but others are entitled to their opinions (There are a number who saw today's game who disagree with a number of your points) the same as you are to yours

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Like 2