IGNORED

The Official Sheffield Wednesday V Champions Match Day Thread

FT 2-0...did not play well as a team, Freeman tried hard but lost the ball more times that I can remember him ever doing last season. Wilbs/Kodger never got in the game. We got a bit overrun in midfield. A reminder overall that we will get less time & space in this league... Burns played well after replacing Joe.

Have to remember that if we had scored from our 1st corner instead of it being a goal-line clearance it could have ended so differently. No need to panic just yet, just pick ourselves up and regroup.

• Like 1

I have few worries in this division if we play well.  It's our ability to gain points when not playing well that worries me.  We won a lot of games last year despite poor performances.  Difference in this division is these performances will result in defeats like today's.  We definitely need more in central midfield if we're to continue with 3 5 2.  Today showed how good our wing backs were last season.  The new lads need to time to get used to the way we play evidently.    We will get there though - there is enough talent and the means to buy more players who will improve us.  Our manager knows what he's doing.

Anyone else with me in thinking the transfer priorities should be a box to box midfielder (replacing Pack) and a Target Man? Seemed to be doing a lot of long balls today and I'm not sure if Wilbz can do a whole season, and Matt Smith last season definitely showed a big striker will fit our style of play. As for the midfielder I'm not sure if Pack is championship quality, think we need someone to go forward more. Burns was impressive however, and thought he'd be on loan this season. Cover for Bryan would obviously be good, but Fredericks and Burns didn't do too badly in my opinion.

Anyone else with me in thinking the transfer priorities should be a box to box midfielder (replacing Pack) and a Target Man? Seemed to be doing a lot of long balls today and I'm not sure if Wilbz can do a whole season, and Matt Smith last season definitely showed a big striker will fit our style of play. As for the midfielder I'm not sure if Pack is championship quality, think we need someone to go forward more. Burns was impressive however, and thought he'd be on loan this season. Cover for Bryan would obviously be good, but Fredericks and Burns didn't do too badly in my opinion.

I think we need more of a defensive midfielder to replace Pack to be honest. 

Disappointing but not the end of the world and plenty of time to go.But at least it might shut up all those on this forum who believed just turning with the same team from last year would be more than enough to cope with this division. For whatever reason we are behind most other teams in this division in terms of getting our squad together for the season. Let's hope we have a few more on the way and soon.

Poor.

A lot to think about, though what happened to our midfield? Number of times we had possession in defence but had no options.

Credit to Burns; best player for us today, in my opinion. Worried that Wilbraham suddenly looks his age too; slow moving, and his touch was poor.

Midfield was always going to be a problem, even in some game last season, our midfield didn't dominate or control, think we need a disruptive Paul Hartley type player.

If you are a Wednesday fan you would say that was comfortable. We will be disappointed by both goals we let in, and equally they will feel they could have got more. Really allowed them to dictate the game after half time until they scored, and we seemed unable to pass and keep possession. Only time we put any pressure on was late on, when they seemed happy to play deep and try and catch us on the break.

We know this group of players can pass and move much better than they did today. Disappointing start, but I am sure we will be ok.

Packs lack of pace nearly leads to a third...

Pack is my main worry for this season.  His performance against Swindon last season should have rang all the alarm bells.  Against anyone with pace he is toast.  His solution is dodgy freekicks on the edge of our box.

We desperately need a good, pacy central midfielder.

Yea fair point about the WBs. We always looked a better side with JB and Little on the pitch last season because they played the majority of matches. Took Tavinier time to settle and we need to give Fredricks time as well. Hope JB is a go for next Saturday.

Definitely need another center mid or two to provide competition. As well as a CB for the same reason.

Well, with the negatives aside, i think Wes has done really well today

Probably our best player in the 2nd half, indeed from the time he came on: certainly our most threatening player and just a pity his attempt that was cleared off the line didn't go over the bar (or preferably in the net!) as SW scored from the breakaway.

I said on a different thread yesterday that he was quick (of course, we all knew this, but he really showed it in the spurt just before half time).

He has certainly improved since he went out on loan, and I really would not be surprised to see him get his first full cap pretty soonish.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

So? He made a moronic mistake - at that moment he was a ******* moron. Where did I say he was always a ******* moron? 

In other news, the Sheffield Wednesday fans are taking the absolute piss out of us.

Ok mate, fair enough.

Just didn't think calling someone a "******* moron" in writing was really necessary.

It's only a game. Sorry to interrupt your Saturday....

Did anyone honestly think that our first game in a higher division, away to a big team was going to be easy?

Like many, I was disappointed with every aspect of our pre-season - but we still have time to bring people in and get this side working together.

You simply cannot judge what this season is going to be like from one game.

Early last season, I watched us get knocked out the League Cup at Ashton Gate by a side that was bottom of L2. And we put out a side that was 8/11 of our first choice XI too. The bloke who sits behind me said: "That's it! We're going to go down again!"

Do not be that man!! Do not prematurely evaluate!

As others have said, one positive to take is that Wes seemed comfortable in the role he was called on to play. I've long said that MF is maybe the way forward for him.

• Like 3

. There's losing a game and then losing a game without hardly creating a chance,I don't no what it sounded like on radio but it was pretty awful,but who's saying sheff wed won't be a top 8 side,give it a few more games before its jump off a bridge time

Can't do it this weekend anyway - it's the Balloon Fiesta :(

• Like 1

Just a bit of a reality check today by the sounds of it.

No need to over-react. We were never going to emulate last season's results but we have to stick by the guys who gave us so many precious memories and let them grow into a higher division.

As Swindon found out last season, nothing is won or lost before Xmas and it isn't even mid August yet!

Stay positive and happy - we're in a tough division and there will be some great highs and dreadful lows coming up.

I'm going to try and enjoy it......

• Like 2

We lost 2-0 which is what I predicted in the recent poll here. Why is everyone so surprised? I guess it's because of our runaway success last year right from the start. This year has been totally different. Why? We are playing at a much higher level. We are short-staffed. The new recruits have had virtually no time to settle in. Pre-season matches were nowhere near as demanding as those last year. All our new players last year had plenty of time to "bond" both on and off the pitch. Today has been from a standing start compared to the momentum the team had last year right from the first match.

It ain't great but it ain't the end of the world. We have the basis of a good team. We will improve as the team is augmented with new signings and everybody gets used to each other and to the new demands on them in this new league.

• Like 1

Just a bit of a reality check today by the sounds of it.

No need to over-react. We were never going to emulate last season's results but we have to stick by the guys who gave us so many precious memories and let them grow into a higher division.

As Swindon found out last season, nothing is won or lost before Xmas and it isn't even mid August yet!

Stay positive and happy - we're in a tough division and there will be some great highs and dreadful lows coming up.

I'm going to try and enjoy it......

Yes I think this is the perfect way to explain it. I'm not upset with the result. QPR also lost 2-0 today and they came from a division up!

Just think the mood is so poor as an extension from the summer and the fact that it was just a poor performance. No one impressed and I think they now know a bit better what it's going to take. Brentford won't be easy either but as long as we play better I'll be happy