IGNORED

Sc Now Has The Moody On!

Tomo

OMG For a few mins at least .....

Posters posting their views on SCs current demeanour, with interesting variety of how they read it and possible reasons and opinions

Without being shouted down , allegations of personal agendas, or calling each other 'morons'

......at last......for now...... Quite good isn't it

Yep, it certainly is a worry that the current apparent impasse between manager and board could lead to a parting of the ways with the best and most suitable manager this club has employed for a considerable time.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the transfer policy if the end result was losing such a successful and popular manager it would be a disaster.

That's the crux of the matter for most of us when viewing his interviews, I'd imagine.

I don't see any of this as being an issue regarding the club, but all to do with SC.

One of the reasons for our recent success was that SL at long last let football people make football decision, so SC and KB have organised player transfers to great effect.

We have sensible financial controls in place to avoid us getting back into the financial hole we got in the last time we were in the championship and are also subject to ffp rules, which limit the amount of losses we can make and while the stadium rebuilt is still under way this will impact on us.

Common sense says that SC will have been aware of the financial budget at his disposal before commencing his transfer activity this summer. If the players he has tracked and gone for have had silly fees quoted, then I fail to see how that is the board/SL's problem, as this is a football issue dealt with by our football experts. If those fees, and presumably wages, mean we cannot afford those players, then again I fail to see how  the club/SL can be at fault as they trust SC to deal with those issues.

I doubt that SL will have any reservations about supporting SC in the market, add long as we stay within ffp limits,  so cannot see how there can be a rift.

If ( I know it is potentially a big IF) all the above is the case, then is SC getting annoyed with himself for having misjudged the transfer market and strategy so badly? So many have commented that we will have a bottom 6 budget this season, and perhaps the last few weeks have shown the reality of this. It is not because SL is not prepared to dip his hand in his pocket, it is because the football financial rules prevent him from so doing. If SC is not happy with that then he will have to move to a bigger club, ideally not long relegated from the pre, so they can give him the budget he craves.

Otherwise, perhaps SC needs to have a word with himself, pull his neck in and man up ,accept the financial facts of life and cut his cloth accordingly. It might mean that he cannot go on to achieve back-to-back promotions as I'm sure he wanted and felt was possible, but what he can do is continue the development of this club, which he started so spectacularly last season and build a promotion challenge, albeit more slowly than he planned at the start of the summer. 

OMG For a few mins at least .....

Posters posting their views on SCs current demeanour, with interesting variety of how they read it and possible reasons and opinions

Without being shouted down , allegations of personal agendas, or calling each other 'morons'

......at last......for now...... Quite good isn't it

Nice one halfwit!

Cancel my last :facepalm:

Who says he's not making a statement?!

It's how you interpret it.

Business is on-going, frustration, perhaps. Some deals are dead, but players are still being approached. For him, I'm sure it's a boring matter to discuss with the media now.

I obviously misunderstood your post Scrumps ;-)

Personally I think SC shows his actual true feelings when on camera....when things are going well...he shows it.

When they aren't or he's upset or disappointed....he shows it.

However....at this moment in time, I actually believe he is very unhappy....and it's been building since the end of last season.

He's not unhappy with the players, or performance against Wednesday. He's disappointed with the result and defending and not being ruthless in last third....but all this emotion he's showing in the media is down to frustration with recruitment and the situation we are presently in with squad, quality and numbers and injuries.

I obviously misunderstood your post Scrumps ;-)

Personally I think SC shows his actual true feelings when on camera....when things are going well...he shows it.

When they aren't or he's upset or disappointed....he shows it.

However....at this moment in time, I actually believe he is very unhappy....and it's been building since the end of last season.

He's not unhappy with the players, or performance against Wednesday. He's disappointed with the result and defending and not being ruthless in last third....but all this emotion he's showing in the media is down to frustration with recruitment and the situation we are presently in with squad, quality and numbers and injuries.

All that you say is fair.

As mentioned, it's not like our targets are all gone. He knows that, and it's just taking more time to sort. Despite the despair on this forum, time is still on our side, we're in no rush to win this league  :thumbsup:

We have an excellent link in Keith Burt and deals will be done. I like how the club are being stubborn enough to be patient and sign improvements.

All these folk who post about signing players as backup are missing something. 

I'm not so,sure that SC is much of an actor to manipulate the media tbh

Everything I see or hear about him suggests he is very much 'Heart On His Sleeve' man

To me , and this is not a criticism , is his thoughts ooze straight out of him at times, it's just the way he is, many of us are the same

IF I'm right that then leads for me , concerns as to where he is right now and internal frustrations

Whilst I agree Bob it doesn't seem something you'd expect Cotts to be a master of, there's been plenty of abilities that I wrongly didn't attribute SC with both before and since joining.

I agree he comes across 'heart on the sleeve' but I honestly think he is far more thorough, far more intricate than that and very calculated. Just as his preparation for matches is by all accounts meticulous, I think he'd approach his media commitments in a similar manner.

To put it one way, for a heart on the sleeve manager I'm yet to hear him moan about a refereeing decision or performance. He didn't react to the West Ham incident, he was very understated when we won promotion and also to an extent when we won the title and also when we won the JPT, nor did he overreact to positive results - such as turning around Swindon or in some of our very impressive performances last year. If Holloway, someone I would unequivocally call a heart on the sleeve manager, achieved what SC did last year I think there'd have been a lot more hyperbole emanating from him than there was SC. He just seems too grounded in victory and in success to be a heart on the sleeve type.

My cynicism is largely borne from the few transfer enquiry releases and pulling SL out to give some quotes. Marry that with how Cotts is 'appearing' and I'm just not 100% convinced that we as fans are the target audience. Equally I'm not completely sold my own cynicism is the case  :)

I don't see any of this as being an issue regarding the club, but all to do with SC.

One of the reasons for our recent success was that SL at long last let football people make football decision, so SC and KB have organised player transfers to great effect.

We have sensible financial controls in place to avoid us getting back into the financial hole we got in the last time we were in the championship and are also subject to ffp rules, which limit the amount of losses we can make and while the stadium rebuilt is still under way this will impact on us.

Common sense says that SC will have been aware of the financial budget at his disposal before commencing his transfer activity this summer. If the players he has tracked and gone for have had silly fees quoted, then I fail to see how that is the board/SL's problem, as this is a football issue dealt with by our football experts. If those fees, and presumably wages, mean we cannot afford those players, then again I fail to see how  the club/SL can be at fault as they trust SC to deal with those issues.

I doubt that SL will have any reservations about supporting SC in the market, add long as we stay within ffp limits,  so cannot see how there can be a rift.

If ( I know it is potentially a big IF) all the above is the case, then is SC getting annoyed with himself for having misjudged the transfer market and strategy so badly? So many have commented that we will have a bottom 6 budget this season, and perhaps the last few weeks have shown the reality of this. It is not because SL is not prepared to dip his hand in his pocket, it is because the football financial rules prevent him from so doing. If SC is not happy with that then he will have to move to a bigger club, ideally not long relegated from the pre, so they can give him the budget he craves.

Otherwise, perhaps SC needs to have a word with himself, pull his neck in and man up ,accept the financial facts of life and cut his cloth accordingly. It might mean that he cannot go on to achieve back-to-back promotions as I'm sure he wanted and felt was possible, but what he can do is continue the development of this club, which he started so spectacularly last season and build a promotion challenge, albeit more slowly than he planned at the start of the summer. 

This is exactly how I see it. Cotterill was involved in the discussions when they set the playing budget for this season several months ago. He has no excuse for not knowing either the budget or the likely cost of players in the Championship. He can be upset at the world if player costs are higher than he thinks they should be, and he can be frustrated if we cannot sign the players he'd like to have, but he has known for some time what the situation would be.

The only situation in which he could justifiably be angry is if the board have gone back on their word over the budget or misled him in some way. That would be a bad place to be. 

This is exactly how I see it. Cotterill was involved in the discussions when they set the playing budget for this season several months ago. He has no excuse for not knowing either the budget or the likely cost of players in the Championship. He can be upset at the world if player costs are higher than he thinks they should be, and he can be frustrated if we cannot sign the players he'd like to have, but he has known for some time what the situation would be.

The only situation in which he could justifiably be angry is if the board have gone back on their word over the budget or misled him in some way. That would be a bad place to be.

I agree but can't see the latter being the case. He's just being moody because things aren't going his way!

Whilst I agree Bob it doesn't seem something you'd expect Cotts to be a master of, there's been plenty of abilities that I wrongly didn't attribute SC with both before and since joining.

I agree he comes across 'heart on the sleeve' but I honestly think he is far more thorough, far more intricate than that and very calculated. Just as his preparation for matches is by all accounts meticulous, I think he'd approach his media commitments in a similar manner.

To put it one way, for a heart on the sleeve manager I'm yet to hear him moan about a refereeing decision or performance. He didn't react to the West Ham incident, he was very understated when we won promotion and also to an extent when we won the title and also when we won the JPT, nor did he overreact to positive results - such as turning around Swindon or in some of our very impressive performances last year. If Holloway, someone I would unequivocally call a heart on the sleeve manager, achieved what SC did last year I think there'd have been a lot more hyperbole emanating from him than there was SC. He just seems too grounded in victory and in success to be a heart on the sleeve type.

A valid and well thought out point.

Alas, the one thing everyone knows about SC is that he has an ego, is "cocksure" and a self-proclaimed "winner". Therefore i would suggest that the reason he seems grounded in times of success, is that the success is nothing less than he expects (rightly or wrongly).

I suspect that the "heart on the sleeve" bit takes over in times of adversity. I sincerely doubt that anything is being "stage-managed" at the moment.

I'm not saying this has happened now Dan....but I know for a fact that that has happened in the past with previous managers...heard it straight from the horses mouth.

So if that was the case...it wouldn't be the first time we've pissed off managers.

Again...not saying it's happened with SC....but it has happened in the past.

I'm not saying this has happened now Dan....but I know for a fact that that has happened in the past with previous managers...heard it straight from the horses mouth.

So if that was the case...it wouldn't be the first time we've pissed off managers.

Again...not saying it's happened with SC....but it has happened in the past.

The other SC?

So we now have another very astute season long loan signing which must be a positive. Ben Hamer is quality.

SL was quoted on BBC yesterday about bringing in another 3-4 players but patience was required.

SC was quoted yesterday as saying no new players arriving anytime soon.

Clearly all very confusing but perhaps a lot of the comments on here are over over analysing a complicated situation and are reading between the lines at best. 

I have little doubt that both SC and SL are frustrated that they haven't been able to strengthen in every position and hit the ground running but my best guess is that the frustration is with the situation not with each other.

I'm sure that some of our targets who have not signed is not purely because of the money on offer but other reasons which come into play. 

So if Steve says he's frustrated and he's not able to sign 'anyone soon' and then signs a top GK the next day- what can we read from this?

I haven't the foggiest.

So we now have another very astute season long loan signing which must be a positive. Ben Hamer is quality.

SL was quoted on BBC yesterday about bringing in another 3-4 players but patience was required.

SC was quoted yesterday as saying no new players arriving anytime soon.

Clearly all very confusing but perhaps a lot of the comments on here are over over analysing a complicated situation and are reading between the lines at best. 

I have little doubt that both SC and SL are frustrated that they haven't been able to strengthen in every position and hit the ground running but my best guess is that the frustration is with the situation not with each other.

I'm sure that some of our targets who have not signed is not purely because of the money on offer but other reasons which come into play. 

So if Steve says he's frustrated and he's not able to sign 'anyone soon' and then signs a top GK the next day- what can we read from this?

I haven't the foggiest.

It's all being staged :boxing: I'm ITK you see :liar:

It's all being staged :boxing:   I'm ITK you see :liar:

Not many things in football would overly surprise me so maybe it is? However, I am prepared to be amazed and surprised when someone claims to be ITK and is!

I love the threads where people claim to be ITK about people ITK so therefore it's genuinely ITK only to find out no one knows F all .

Backed massively ????? Ummm... Seems to have been forgot that we sold our prize jewell in Baldock and MORE than balanced the books ... Brave and courageous and forgotten by the moaning minority !!

Oh they haven't forgotten....... they choose to ignore so the truth doesn't get in the way of their agendas......... 

Why don't you put a wireless wurtle in that turtle? Two bit hobble gobbler

Happy to do so whilst you return to your Man Utd Albums, panini stickers and your Wayne Rooney Love Doll whilst worrying if Louis Van Gale can make you competitive in the big boys

Mum let's you on the wi-if in the summer holidays eh ??

Sorted :laugh:

Backed massively ????? Ummm... Seems to have been forgot that we sold our prize jewell in Baldock and MORE than balanced the books ... Brave and courageous and forgotten by the moaning minority !!

How on Earth is people claiming that the board backed the manager last season 'moaning'?  It's a positive statement about the club doing something good. I don't think even you understand who you're calling out over what anymore...

Are you kidding? Baldock wanted to go. We were a league 1 club then who were always vulnerable to having our best players nicked. We'd had a poor first season in lg1 and despite encouraging recruitment last summer Baldock wanted to go and I don't really blame him.

As for being backed, Cotts was backed massively! When we were first relegated it was all about balancing the books. SOD was not backed and we ended up signing the likes of Wynter and we know how that worked out. Lansdown decided a new approach was needed under Cotts. It wasn't about throwing wild money about but was about positive recruitment that made sense and had re sale value but we started actually investing again. We cherry picked some of the best players in the league. Cotts has said himself numerous times how thankful he was of SL for his backing and enabling us to get the players he wanted.

In what way has he not been backed?

Archived