IGNORED

A Fan Base Confused And Divided...

spudski

I agree whole hardheartedly Spud, I have made my opinion known a lot of times, and nothing has changed.  Spunk your money up against the wall Steve its your Money. I don't like how he has ripped up the controls at the club, made endless speeches he goes back on 100% of the time and again and again he his held up as the messiah. Bullshit and bravado merchant in my opinion who lives for the adulation he so craves.

I'm starting to think the same.

I know he's passionate and has good intentions.

But he constantly spouts bollox. He treats the fanbase as idiots.

He gets away with it, because of his passion, belief, money and dream. He can do no wrong...and I think he uses that to his advantage.

The quotes he's made recently about being 'surprised' at the market....then back in April his comments I quoted in my OP show he knew the market would be tough.

He talks about Brentford as an example...without even mentioning how they are going about their transfers.

We end up trying to buy from the Club he quotes as a Club we should be following...huh!

Personally... I think he did have the intentions of sustainably running this Club...but we've ****ed up in the transfer market for whatever reason, and because of 3 losses, injuries, small squad, one permanent transfer to date, and window closing soon....he's panicked big time, and other Clubs will see this and do everything to hold out for top dollar.

Even if we sp*nk 9 million up the wall on one signing our spending compared to other's in the league isn't huge. Our other signings don't exactly accumulate to much either and with such a small squad it's not as if our wage bill is big. I think most of us would prefer to see 3 or 4 more quality players rather than 1 star but there is always the loan market. I don't think Cotts and SL have played it right and some open and honest communication would be appreciated but on the other hand the initial post is downright naive.

he made a lot of money in a area he has knowledge in Tone, of that there can be no mistake.  

I would suggest he is the same as many other club owners, he really does not get it,he comes from a back ground where he can pretty much dictate the salaries given out to employees, and now sits in an arena where he feels he should have absolute power, but in reality only has power over the manager and staff,very little power over the players.  So he bluffs and bullshits his way around the fanbase giving out the air of control and vision.  Sadly, most of what he strives to put i place is nothing more than hot air.

We are fortunate to have him so he can bluff & bullshit all he likes.

He's made a lot of money. That doesn't happen by being completely stupid.

Seems to me he's damned if he does and he's damned if he doesn't. Let's all start a petition to get the Oyston family to buy SL out.

Yes he has made lots of money fella...but in a different business.

He's also lost a massive amount in this Club, and made massive mistakes as he's admitted.

Other owners of Clubs have made massive amounts too....but they are still stupid when it comes to running football clubs. There are masses of them.

He apparently made changes to this clubs structure in it's sustainability and it's transfer policy....because of those past mistakes.

Seems to me he's damned if he does and he's damned if he doesn't. Let's all start a petition to get the Oyston family to buy SL out.

I would be a lot happier if he did, and kept to his vision.

So its not a case he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.  Do Steve, do, then I may appreciate you more rather than thinking you are an attention seeker who want to be loved by an adoring public.

Strange to mention the Oyston family Tone!  what relevance does that have to anything I have said? 

For the love of God - no more copying Spud's original post for those of us on phones!

I understand the concern, it's a shitload of money. As I said on the other thread, I'd rather not have the richest owner and shiniest L1 ground. SL and team will have crunched the figures. Gray was the original target this summer, I think SC deserved that after last season

What worries me more is that there is a group of fans who I get the feeling are waiting for this all to crumble around us. I don't get that

We are fortunate to have him so he can bluff & bullshit all he likes.

if you say so, he has at last upgraded the stadium, that is the one and only thing I think i can say he has done well, and even that was on the backing of a bullshit and bravado speech saying if AV was not built he would stand aside and let someone else take the club forward.

I cannot think of anything else to be thankful for, we were in good financial state before he took over.  I know all the debt his his now, but he has sewn up the club like a kipper making it almost impossible for anyone to take over and invest.  He is now the complete Ruler of Bristol City Football club, and I think that is a bad thing.

• Admin

I can only assume that for us to be making bids of 8/9 million pounds some of the following must've been true:

*Releasing JET (still don't agree with it) released a sizeable chunk of money that would otherwise have been going to his wages

*we got actually got a very decent fee for Cunningham

*we aren't paying the majority of Osbournes wages whilst he's out on loan

*by operating with a small squad last year, winning the league and cup, we made an operational profit (unlikely)

*The sponsorship deals from Dribuild and Rsg are actually worth a lot more than we take them for (again unlikely)

*projections for income based on the redeveloped ground are looking very good (likely)

*we have a 15/20% sell on clause on Bolassie

But even if ALL of these were true, it still strikes me that 8million is a hell of a lot of money for our club. Whilst we need to evolve or face extinction, this recent course of events still shocks me.

*the Bristol Sport shirt manufacturer deal rivals that of Man Utd & Chelsea ;)

It's a shame no one can express their concerns without being mauled by the happy clappers.

Apparently it's not ok to be concerned that we seem to be spending ridiculous amounts of money to chase a dream. Other clubs are laughing at our desperation, the financial polices have flown out the window.

The general consensus on this board is that teams like QPR, Cardiff, Blackburn have been wrong in the past for blowing money trying to get to the promised land. Now all of a sudden it's ok because we are doing it?

And we're not even throwing bad money after good to achieve the Premised Land (natch). With the start we've had, it's just to stay up.

Super rich business man wants to spend up to 9 million chasing a dream of putting this City on a sporting map

SL gets richer by the day, his personal fortune continues to increase considerably which allows him more latitude with spending. Not much if a shock really.

The player is 24 and his value with a moderate amount of luck will not deminish.

The majority of our current team was financed by the sale of Baldock and as such business to date has been good since SC arrived

Now spend some as it is clear he fancies a pop at top six.

Nevertheless usual suspects usual crap.

D'aaah... He's made a lot of money? Well, he must know how to run a football club, then. One follows the other, just ask V Tan, him at Hull, the Glazers, etc etc ad infinitum. I' on the other hand, haven't made a lot of money, ergo I'd be useless at running a football club.

D'aaah... He's made a lot of money? Well, he must know how to run a football club, then. One follows the other, just ask V Tan, him at Hull, the Glazers, etc etc ad infinitum. I' on the other hand, haven't made a lot of money, ergo I'd be useless at running a football club.

How do you know ? If you had the money you might surprise yourself

What a load of rubbish, SL cannot ever win, we don't sign anyone and its SL's fault, then we try and sign players and that's bad as well (too much money apparently) we get a new stadium and fans pick holes in every part of it (seat colour, not a proper end, too many disabled spaces, etc etc) nothing SL does is good enough for some people, we have the moaniest fans ever! I can't believe you kept a straight face when commenting that SL has made the club un-sellable because he's spent too much money!! Unbelievable and embarrassing at the same time!

Out of interest then out of all the owners in the Football League which ones would you rather have instead of ours?

I have no interest in other owners, i I suspect many are the same, but that is neither here or there. My concern is the club i support and i don't like the way it has had safe guards ripped up and a owner put in place by stealth.  It underhanded and deceitful.  I don't like it and I don't like the endless promises conveniently ignored.

Can you tell me when any fan had any sort of input into a potential owner taking over the club and ripping up safe guard put in place after 82?  SL did this, not chairmen of other clubs

How do you know ? If you had the money you might surprise yourself

Because I'm the bloke who ''bought'' Notts Co a few years ago, hoodwinked Sven Goran Ivanisevic into serving as manager and stoned Sulzeer Jeremiah 'Sol' Campbell over the head and bundled him into a car and woke him up at Morecambe. Then I hot-footed it out of there, to hook up with Fawaz out of Kuwait and buy Forest and then...

You get my drift.

What a load of rubbish, SL cannot ever win, we don't sign anyone and its SL's fault, then we try and sign players and that's bad as well (too much money apparently) we get a new stadium and fans pick holes in every part of it (seat colour, not a proper end, too many disabled spaces, etc etc) nothing SL does is good enough for some people, we have the moaniest fans ever! I can't believe you kept a straight face when commenting that SL has made the club un-sellable because he's spent too much money!! Unbelievable and embarrassing at the same time!

Factual if you take off the rose tinted specks.  look at what is there for a potential investor, a shed load to pay off SL, and then he has to go and negotiate with Bristol Sport to relinquish the stadium... which won't be happening as the Rugby are there now.

He has what he wants and there is very little anyone can do about it now.  By stealth SL has your club and i bet you cannot even remember how he took charge.

It truly is laughable.  But I suppose not really, this is Bristol City after all.

I have no interest in other owners, i I suspect many are the same, but that is neither here or there. My concern is the club i support and i don't like the way it has had safe guards ripped up and a owner put in place by stealth. It underhanded and deceitful. I don't like it and I don't like the endless promises conveniently ignored.

Can you tell me when any fan had any sort of input into a potential owner taking over the club and ripping up safe guard put in place after 82? SL did this, not chairmen of other clubs

Ha ha you need to go and live in some football utopian world then.

Factual if you take off the rose tinted specks.  look at what is there for a potential investor, a shed load to pay off SL, and then he has to go and negotiate with Bristol Sport to relinquish the stadium... which won't be happening as the Rugby are there now.

He has what he wants and there is very little anyone can do about it now.  By stealth SL has your club and i bet you cannot even remember how he took charge.

It truly is laughable.  But I suppose not really, this is Bristol City after all.

you're correct, it is his club, he has bankrolled it since he took over the reigns and i think that rather than moaning and complaining about it we should all get behind the bloke and support what he's trying to achieve.  we're not up for sale, we're not turning into blackpool, we're getting a few new stands and a few big money signings.  could be worse, nick higgs could be in charge.

Ha ha you need to go and live in some football utopian world then.

Not really, Footballs turning to shit anyway, I suspect if SL was here or not I would go less and less as I cannot stand what football has become.  Its just a shame the club Iove now has a owner who will do what he likes as he got full control under the radar of the fans.  very stealthy and Slippery  Mr L, unlike the big public takeovers at other clubs.

Archived