IGNORED

A Fan Base Confused And Divided...

spudski

Football is what it is. How it got there isn't relevant anymore.

City either engage in the financial madness or end up struggling again. The club is currently "between a rock and a hard place" and IMO the club has no choice in the matter and I'm sure both SC and KB would agree.

The SL mantra of the club standing on its own feet is admirable and possible if City were an established PL club but with Championship income it's not currently viable. No doubt at all that SL knows that perfectly well.

Agree with this ... whilst I, like most other people, cannot truly know what is in SL's head I would hypothesise that on building the stadium he wants to capitalise on the wider opportunity.

'IF' he can get us in the Premiership, his plan would be that the self sufficient part would come from the money swishing around there, but to get to the promised land he will need to invest over and above.

Some will like it and some won't ... such is life!

COYRs!

It's a shame no one can express their concerns without being mauled by the happy clappers.

Apparently it's not ok to be concerned that we seem to be spending ridiculous amounts of money to chase a dream. Other clubs are laughing at our desperation, the financial polices have flown out the window.

The general consensus on this board is that teams like QPR, Cardiff, Blackburn have been wrong in the past for blowing money trying to get to the promised land. Now all of a sudden it's ok because we are doing it?

We've lost two league games. One of which we were comfortably in pole position until an unfortunate sending off. 44 still to be played.

I'm surprised to say the least, that Cotts wants a very expensive striker as his next signing, but I think at this point in the season Spud's OP is unneccessarily doom and gloom.

And talk of the club's "desperation" is too.

I'm amazed that so many, usually intelligent, posters on here seriously think that we can progress by filling out squad full of unproven players at the level we are trying to compete at.

I can see the thinking behind saying not trying to sign the Championships top players, but if SL is prepared to bankroll this then surely that just means we are fortunate to have his backing and financial clout.

Nobody wants a return to 30+ year old has beens on big money contracts. We've tried that and it doesn't work. Everybody is in favour of signing up and coming lower league talent, but that needs to be blended with proven ability at this level, which costs money. Especially to lure players who are currently other clubs first team players.

For every Andre Gray there are many more John Akinde's.

SL has proven that he isn't going to lumber us with unmanageable debts. We are lucky to have someone so wealthy who is a genuine fan and won't just bail out leaving us high and dry. If his gambles go wrong then he covers the losses. From the fans point of view we should encourage and welcome the ambition. This isn't 1982 and SL will not allow us to return to that position, however much he decides to spend on trying to get us where we all dream of being and everyone points out we should be aiming.

We've lost two league games. One of which we were comfortably in pole position until an unfortunate sending off. 44 still to be played.

I'm surprised to say the least, that Cotts wants a very expensive striker as his next signing, but I think at this point in the season Spud's OP is unneccessarily doom and gloom.

And talk of the club's "desperation" is too.

Why is it 'doom and gloom' RR? It was a statement of fact....you only had to read all the varied responses and posts on other threads regarding our current transfer bidding. Backed up by statements from SL and SC regarding transfers being frustrating etc.

You may say we were comfortable on the pitch when Freeman got sent off....but read Wilbs comments about the game, as he said we would have most likely conceded those goals with 11 men on the pitch, and that we need to improve in certain positions.

We are far from comfortable at the moment. Another couple injuries or sending offs and it is desperate measures.

I'm amazed that so many, usually intelligent, posters on here seriously think that we can progress by filling out squad full of unproven players at the level we are trying to compete at.

I can see the thinking behind saying not trying to sign the Championships top players, but if SL is prepared to bankroll this then surely that just means we are fortunate to have his backing and financial clout.

Nobody wants a return to 30+ year old has beens on big money contracts. We've tried that and it doesn't work. Everybody is in favour of signing up and coming lower league talent, but that needs to be blended with proven ability at this level, which costs money. Especially to lure players who are currently other clubs first team players.

For every Andre Gray there are many more John Akinde's.

SL has proven that he isn't going to lumber us with unmanageable debts. We are lucky to have someone so wealthy who is a genuine fan and won't just bail out leaving us high and dry. If his gambles go wrong then he covers the losses. From the fans point of view we should encourage and welcome the ambition. This isn't 1982 and SL will not allow us to return to that position, however much he decides to spend on trying to get us where we all dream of being and everyone points out we should be aiming.

But isn't that what makes a good manager?  To spot the difference between an Andre Gray and a John Akinde?

Incidentally, I see Akinde scored a couple last night.  Worth a punt?  I'll get my coat.

But isn't that what makes a good manager? To spot the difference between an Andre Gray and a John Akinde?

Incidentally, I see Akinde scored a couple last night. Worth a punt? I'll get my coat.

Would you class Alex Ferguson as a "not good manager" because of his failed punt on Ralph Milne..?

it is nice to see so much enthusiasm to help SL manage his finances because christ, he is sinking out there.  :facepalm:

Buying top quality young proven players comes with a price tag, we can obsess over if that number was/is too high, but when you are up into these numbers a couple of million is unlikely to be a deal breaker.

it is nice to see so much enthusiasm to help SL manage his finances because christ, he is sinking out there.  :facepalm:

Buying top quality young proven players comes with a price tag, we can obsess over if that number was/is too high, but when you are up into these numbers a couple of million is unlikely to be a deal breaker.

Yep...it cost Brentford 300K last year....30 goal in 45 games for Luton...Great buy.

Rumoured less than 300k for Pitman by Ipswich too....another great buy.

As all the Media are saying....words to the effect of 'Staggering' for our bid for Gray.

Would you class Alex Ferguson as a "not good manager" because of his failed punt on Ralph Milne..?

I think Ferguson has accepted that the 'Ralph Milne affair' was his greatest failure as a manager.  However, what Ferguson knew was that Milne was a supremely talented footballer (you only have to watch the film of him in Scotland before he came south to see that) but hadn't anticipated just how deeply his 'problems' ran.  Most City fans know what the issue was with Ralph Milne, and it wasn't lack of talent.

I think Ferguson has accepted that the 'Ralph Milne affair' was his greatest failure as a manager. However, what Ferguson knew was that Milne was a supremely talented footballer (you only have to watch the film of him in Scotland before he came south to see that) but hadn't anticipated just how deeply his 'problems' ran. Most City fans know what the issue was with Ralph Milne, and it wasn't lack of talent.

Which illustrates how difficult it is for managers to find the Andre Gray's and Ian Wright's of the world in amongst the many John Akinde's.

Archived