IGNORED

A Fan Base Confused And Divided...

spudski

How do you know ? If you had the money you might surprise yourself

Totally agree.

If I had as much money as SL I'd stop fannying about, and spend more on Coaching, Backroom staff, Technology, Analysts, A bigger scouting network, an Academy that works and doesn't leak staff....bring in people who know how to run a football club as well as a business. I wouldn't employ my son.

I'd treat the fans like intelligent human beings.

I'd listen to the fans and make sure fans can communicate, as well as get ticketing right.

I'd treat the fans like I was running a business...not rely on their Club loyalties to get away with running a shabby show.

But i'm sure SL knows best...

Anyway his dream of a Stadium full of Rugby type fans, paying Premiership prices could be here sooner than we think if he keeps spunking his money.

Good luck to those who will only be able to watch on Sky ;-)

Factual if you take off the rose tinted specks. look at what is there for a potential investor, a shed load to pay off SL, and then he has to go and negotiate with Bristol Sport to relinquish the stadium... which won't be happening as the Rugby are there now.

He has what he wants and there is very little anyone can do about it now. By stealth SL has your club and i bet you cannot even remember how he took charge.

It truly is laughable. But I suppose not really, this is Bristol City after all.

You are forgetting that we don't need an investor because we have SL, and when the time comes when SL wants out do you honestly think he would screw the club over? Absolute bullsh*t, you need help seriously

you're correct, it is his club, he has bankrolled it since he took over the reigns and i think that rather than moaning and complaining about it we should all get behind the bloke and support what he's trying to achieve.  we're not up for sale, we're not turning into blackpool, we're getting a few new stands and a few big money signings.  could be worse, nick higgs could be in charge.

Whats he trying to achieve?  it changes every year, and that is one of the main points i am trying to make.

Tell me what he is trying to achieve, and how?  Steve tells us every year, unfortunately the story also changes every year.  How can you get behind that?

He has what he wants and there is very little anyone can do about it now. By stealth SL has your club and i bet you cannot even remember how he took charge.

It truly is laughable. But I suppose not really, this is Bristol City after all.

My club? What a git I never knew I owed it and he stole it. I always thought I was a mere supporter of it

It's a shame no one can express their concerns without being mauled by the happy clappers.

Apparently it's not ok to be concerned that we seem to be spending ridiculous amounts of money to chase a dream. Other clubs are laughing at our desperation, the financial polices have flown out the window.

The general consensus on this board is that teams like QPR, Cardiff, Blackburn have been wrong in the past for blowing money trying to get to the promised land. Now all of a sudden it's ok because we are doing it?

What happend to 'the pillars'??..'sustainable??..manager complaining we have been quoted stupid prices in the region of seven million only a couple of weeks ago..for sure there has been a big turn around in the thought process that could be seen by some as panic..and how would this place with Ffp??.....a blonde moment I'm hoping not,maybe keystone cops...all seems to lack direction and this 'window risks being a shambles-and a very costly one..

You are forgetting that we don't need an investor because we have SL, and when the time comes when SL wants out do you honestly think he would screw the club over? Absolute bullsh*t, you need help seriously

:)

Because I'm the bloke who ''bought'' Notts Co a few years ago, hoodwinked Sven Goran Ivanisevic into serving as manager and stoned Sulzeer Jeremiah 'Sol' Campbell over the head and bundled him into a car and woke him up at Morecambe. Then I hot-footed it out of there, to hook up with Fawaz out of Kuwait and buy Forest and then...

You get my drift.

What's the problem ? You sound like a perfect owner to me !

My club? What a git I never knew I owed it and he stole it. I always thought I was a mere supporter of it

a club without supporters is nothing.  but if that is how you feel sounds like you got what you want.  Fair dos, you are happy, i am not. Doesn't make your opinion or my opinion any more right or wrong, just means the club we support has different meanings to us.

Whats he trying to achieve?  it changes every year, and that is one of the main points i am trying to make.

Tell me what he is trying to achieve, and how?  Steve tells us every year, unfortunately the story also changes every year.  How can you get behind that?

premier league football.  The subsequent offers for players proves this.  he has spoken about wanting the club to stand on its own feet and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that this can only happen if we're competing in the prem (the new tv deal with the finances really kicking in next season make the money we're offering on transfer fees pale into significance).  by spending a few quid now it's a small gamble towards the long term success.  

To be fair tho, he's minted, he might have woken up this pre season and thought "i'm gonna be the english abramovich", couldn't blame him.  the 8-9 million we're bidding for this lad from Brentford is peanuts. 

I'm not confused, divided or indeed ungrateful.

If SteveL wants to build a fantastic stadium and fill it with players to fulfill his dream who are we to complain. If he puts Bristol City on the footballing map and allows him (and us) to hold our heads up and be proud after so many years of utter rubbish on the whole, then good for him. Let him flex his muscles and enjoy the ride. He has appointed a manager he trust at last, let him have the tools to deliver. Don't stifle progress because of the mistakes of others.

Its because you are confused and divided mate - has your world been turned upside down perhaps ?

See, once upon a time, we all actually owned this football club........................and back in the room.

Some people actually believe that and, as a result, have a misplaced and entirely misguided sense of entitlement.

Apparently SL stole this club and now he's only been and gone and rebuilt AG and put over 60m into "our" club. The bastard, how dare he.

I'll get the pitchforks.......

premier league football.  The subsequent offers for players proves this.  he has spoken about wanting the club to stand on its own feet and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that this can only happen if we're competing in the prem (the new tv deal with the finances really kicking in next season make the money we're offering on transfer fees pale into significance).  by spending a few quid now it's a small gamble towards the long term success.  

To be fair tho, he's minted, he might have woken up this pre season and thought "i'm gonna be the english abramovich", couldn't blame him.  the 8-9 million we're bidding for this lad from Brentford is peanuts. 

I have no problem if he wants to spend, but surely if that was his plan we could have got this kind of stuff done early, rather than get to the end of the transfer window and state transfer fees were too high and so were wages, this  statement in itself makes me very warey about the complete change in what he is willing to spend seem a little worrying. if it is true that Grey was always our first choice and he was willing to spend he should had gone for it earlier.

If he was willing to spend would it have  been more prudent to get on with it, bed the players in instead of going into the season with a severely weakened squad and ballising up the momentum we should have carried into the campaign rather than 3 straight defeats, including our first team vs Luton Town reserves?

To me it strikes me he has  panicked and really did not have the intention to invest to such an extent he know seems willing to.

a club without supporters is nothing. but if that is how you feel sounds like you got what you want. Fair dos, you are happy, i am not. Doesn't make your opinion or my opinion any more right or wrong, just means the club we support has different meanings to us.

Agreed and we do both support the same club I just think you have slightly unrealistic ideas in today's football, which to be honest I'm not a lover of the way it is going either I'm just not convinced that SL is the devil incarnate and there are much worse owners we could have

If SteveL wants to build a fantastic stadium and fill it with players to fulfill his dream who are we to complain. If he puts Bristol City on the footballing map and allows him (and us) to hold our heads up and be proud after so many years of utter rubbish on the whole, then good for him. Let him flex his muscles and enjoy the ride. He has appointed a manager he trust at last, let him have the tools to deliver. Don't stifle progress because of the mistakes of others.

Well said. Best response by a mile on this thread thus far.

Its because you are confused and divided mate - has your world been turned upside down perhaps ?

See, once upon a time, we all actually owned this football club........................and back in the room.

Some people actually believe that and, as a result, have a misplaced and entirely misguided sense of entitlement.

Apparently SL stole this club and now he's only been and gone and rebuilt AG and put over 60m into "our" club. The bastard, how dare he.

or taken out 60 million by devaluing shares, depends how you want to dress it up.

And where is my bloody Brick?  he can chuck 60 million in but can't give me a refund on a disappearing  brick!

• Admin

I have no problem if he wants to spend, but surely if that was his plan we could have got this kind of stuff done early, rather than get to the end of the transfer window and state transfer fees were too high and so were wages, this  statement in itself makes me very warey about the complete change in what he is willing to spend seem a little worrying. if it is true that Grey was always our first choice and he was willing to spend he should had gone for it earlier.

If he was willing to spend would it have  been more prudent to get on with it, bed the players in instead of going into the season with a severely weakened squad and ballising up the momentum we should have carried into the campaign rather than 3 straight defeats, including our first team vs Luton Town reserves?

To me it strikes me he has  panicked and really did not have the intention to invest to such an extent he know seems willing to.

I think the intention was to buy young players. I think they have been surprised at the fees quoted & tried to seek other options. Having failed to do that they are going back to the original players and paying more as that is the new market rate. On the plus side, that's the new market rate so should hold their value if they don't tank here.

Agreed and we do both support the same club I just think you have slightly unrealistic ideas in today's football, which to be honest I'm not a lover of the way it is going either I'm just not convinced that SL is the devil incarnate and there are much worse owners we could have

We used to be a club without supporters back in the 80's and 90's with poor attendances, old knackered stadium and no hope, surely nobody thinks that was the glory years?

Indeed...I agree...let him spend his money.

But why all the previous seasons comments about a new philosophy at the Club?

Why say we have made mistakes and we have to sustain our club differently?

Why make out we will not be spending like before, as we have learned our lessons from it?

Why say all those things?

I don't care what he does...But I do care about the shit he spouts to the fans.

And those fans were all pretty much behind his idea of running the club in a sustainable manner.

Now everyone is carrying on like it was never spoken about.

Looking at SCs body language recently, I tend to think he would agree. Not sure it is panic, as a complete about face, maybe faced with SC getting close to a 'back me or...'

I think they probably did try and get him in earlier, along with a few other and perhaps we are a little bit wet behind the ears at this level of business and thought we'd just turn up with the offer and the clubs, players and their agents would jump at the chance to join us.  That obviously hasn't happened and so we've had to change tact and play the waiting game.  i'd be very surprised that after we sign a forward, whether it be gray, gayle, rooney, or whoever we don't go out and spend another few million on a defender and a midfielder or two.  Plus a couple of loan signings once the window is closed.  We'll be playing the waiting game now to see who comes available and wants to join us, deadline day may be very exciting.

How do you know he wasn't getting on with it ?

because he stated what they were being quoted was too much, his words 6 to 8 million for a striker.  It would seem it may not be too much now, but that stance has killed the momentum from last season.  this is when we should have really been pushing on, it seems to me we have managed to put our own brick wall in the way of what could have been a good start to the season.

I am not saying new signings would have guaranteed us a win, but such a small squad with injuries and suspensions was never going to be the way to start the season

because he stated what they were being quoted was too much, his words 6 to 8 million for a striker.  It would seem it may not be too much now, but that stance has killed the momentum from last season.  this is when we should have really been pushing on, it seems to me we have managed to put our own brick wall in the way of what could have been a good start to the season.

I am not saying new signings would have guaranteed us a win, but such a small squad with injuries and suspensions was never going to be the way to start the season

Ok, I understand what you are saying but there is more to signing a player than paying a transfer fee

Archived