IGNORED

A Fan Base Confused And Divided...

spudski

I would be a lot happier if he did, and kept to his vision.

So its not a case he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Do Steve, do, then I may appreciate you more rather than thinking you are an attention seeker who want to be loved by an adoring public.

Strange to mention the Oyston family Tone! what relevance does that have to anything I have said?

You sound like a jealous, spiteful, bitter child.

Am I wrong in thinking that you've previously said that you don't have a season ticket or even attend games very regularly..?

(Apologies in advance if that wasn't you)

As should have been obvious. I am talking about the fans on this Forum.

Most of whom have no idea about what is involved in running a business - as I said.

For what it's worth, I've run businesses for many years.

As for SL....he's a great businessman within Hargreaves Lansdown.

As for being a great businessman for Bristol City...I'd beg to differ.

If it wasn't for the wealth he's made from HL he wouldn't have been able to swallow up all the losses he's made with BCFC.

It's that wealth that has allowed him to make mistakes.

He maybe a fan, local, and have the 'best intentions', but that doesn't mean someone couldn't do it equally as good or better.

There have been many articles written about successful businessman running football clubs, and doing it in a way that they would never consider in their 'real' world.

Many do it for ego or to leave a legacy...

You can rest assured BCFC would be run completely differently if it was SL's only 'business'.

For what it's worth, I've run businesses for many years.

As for SL....he's a great businessman within Hargreaves Lansdown.

As for being a great businessman for Bristol City...I'd beg to differ.

If it wasn't for the wealth he's made from HL he wouldn't have been able to swallow up all the losses he's made with BCFC.

It's that wealth that has allowed him to make mistakes.

He maybe a fan, local, and have the 'best intentions', but that doesn't mean someone couldn't do it equally as good or better.

There have been many articles written about successful businessman running football clubs, and doing it in a way that they would never consider in their 'real' world.

Many do it for ego or to leave a legacy...

You can rest assured BCFC would be run completely differently if it was SL's only 'business'.

So Spud same question I asked earlier which owners in the football league would you rather have instead?

So Spud same question I asked earlier which owners in the football league would you rather have instead?

I've not said I want rid of SL...is he not allowed constructive criticism?

My OP was not about SL being a poor owner...it was about the comments being made by him and the club recently...to which many fans have questioned them and have been slightly confused.

It was constructive criticism....based on communication and mistakes made in the past.

As you've asked... If SL didn't exist, I'd like an owner of the likes of Southampton's ( previous and now ), Swansea's and Brentford's....Owners that have invested heavily in other parts of the Club, apart from Stadium and first team playing staff, and think outside the box of footballs well trodden path.

I've not said I want rid of SL...is he not allowed constructive criticism?

My OP was not about SL being a poor owner...it was about the comments being made by him and the club recently...to which many fans have questioned them and have been slightly confused.

It was constructive criticism....based on communication and mistakes made in the past.

As you've asked... If SL didn't exist, I'd like an owner of the likes of Southampton's ( previous and now ), Swansea's and Brentford's....Owners that have invested heavily in other parts of the Club, apart from Stadium and first team playing staff, and think outside the box of footballs well trodden path.

Fair enough :) you are talking about mistakes in the past, I'm not convinced he has done much wrong recently, yes others would disagree ;) but lets not lose sight of the fact that nobody knows what the actual bid was today that caused all this :)

Another top reply. That's two in one thread!

Why thank you kind Sir! Don't read back and find the other rubbish I wrote yesterday will you, I didn't have a good day and said so myself (not realising Bournemouth spent 8m on a defender this season and Brentford weren't playing midweek due to pitch problems).

Fair enough :) you are talking about mistakes in the past, I'm not convinced he has done much wrong recently, yes others would disagree ;) but lets not lose sight of the fact that nobody knows what the actual bid was today that caused all this :)

Mistakes in the past were often throwing money at a problem....which is what I think we are doing now.....

Imho, SL's hand is being forced into making these high bids.

Recent comments by him and SC about how frustrated they have been in the transfer market, and how things haven't gone according to how they would have liked, have been quiet enlightening.

This season hasn't gone to plan...there is no doubt about that...both SC and SL have alluded to it. For whatever reason, we have failed to get some of our targets.

We are 3 losses in...Freeman arguably our best player banned for 3 games, a very small squad, many players carrying knocks and coming back from injury, new players still trying to gel and the window closing soon....It is far from an ideal situation.

For whatever reason...we've cocked up somewhere along the line. So mistakes have been made.

I believe these massive bids are panic moves. I think the Club would like to work under their 'new philosophy'....but because of the situation we are in, they have had to start making moves like this. Probably not what they want...but needs must imho.

premier league football. The subsequent offers for players proves this. he has spoken about wanting the club to stand on its own feet and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that this can only happen if we're competing in the prem (the new tv deal with the finances really kicking in next season make the money we're offering on transfer fees pale into significance). by spending a few quid now it's a small gamble towards the long term success.

To be fair tho, he's minted, he might have woken up this pre season and thought "i'm gonna be the english abramovich", couldn't blame him. the 8-9 million we're bidding for this lad from Brentford is peanuts.

How is it a small gamble? Splashing the cash is no guarantee for success, we could just as well spend 10-15m and get relegated.

It's a massive gamble, and based on SLs "club standing on its own to feet" mantra, is not one that sits well with me.

Splashing 8m on a relatively unproven signing for a team that historically is a third tier side is exactly what is wrong with football. If Brentford splashed 8m on a player last year this place would have outraged - but it's ok when it's us?

Il support the team regardless, and I hope we make it to the Prem, but at the same time part of me doesn't want to join this financial farce that is modern football.

Don't talk silly fella... I'm just not a fool or happy clapper who goes along with everything the Club bullshits about.

It's called constructive criticism.

I want the best for the Club...and don't want to be treated by the Club like an idiot.

I like it when you talk about football and have something to debate...but read through most of your recent posts...and most bang on about other posters or ITK's....whatever they are...you seem happiest when doing that and not talking about watching City.

and all you bang on/'constructive criticism' is about the business model and poor PR, perhaps you could lead me towards post of yours that talks about the in's and out's of BCFC 1st team game.

I bang on about ITK's because they are funny, we all need an outlet.

How is it a small gamble? Splashing the cash is no guarantee for success, we could just as well spend 10-15m and get relegated.

It's a massive gamble, and based on SLs "club standing on its own to feet" mantra, is not one that sits well with me.

Splashing 8m on a relatively unproven signing for a team that historically is a third tier side is exactly what is wrong with football. If Brentford splashed 8m on a player last year this place would have outraged - but it's ok when it's us?

Il support the team regardless, and I hope we make it to the Prem, but at the same time part of me doesn't want to join this financial farce that is modern football.

Although I'm behind SL

I think this is a pretty good balanced post making some really good/fair points Marcus

There is no doubt that there has been a shift away from the Club standing on its own two feet mantra - think it would be helpful once the madness has finished for SL to communicate his updated thoughts

I do agree football has descended into financial madness and am not entirely comfortable with adding to it - part of me thinks if you don't join em you more than likely miss out and just for once, just for once it would be great to see the Club on a sharp upward curve that was started last season

Good post Marcus

A lot of adjustment required from us all I guess

or taken out 60 million by devaluing shares, depends how you want to dress it up.

And where is my bloody Brick?  he can chuck 60 million in but can't give me a refund on a disappearing  brick!

Ahhh, I think we are getting to the crux here of TRL's grievance with SL. A brick! or lack of one

Criminal!

Really? I couldn't give a rats arse what Brentford do, and I suspect most on here don't either

If it's affordable and in a position of need then go for it

You will find plenty of comments by myself, about how we've played both in the first team, and in our development teams, after I've gone to watch the games.

I also debate about football issues...especially if comments have been made by SC or SL regarding 'frustrations' at the Club.

It's natural to do, as those at the helm have shown that frustration and have made it public.

Unfortunately EMB....you come across as a very bitter man, who constantly attacks the poster or makes flippant comments about them. Especially if they don't agree with your views. I chose to ignore you for a long time....then gave you the benefit of doubt...and again within a few posts....you attack the poster and not the post.

I give up with you...

I understand your frustration at not being able to watch Bristol City...and it must be hard not to comment on how the team is playing without watching them, without looking foolish. So instead, you troll posters you don't agree with...as an 'outlet' of that frustration. Very sad fella.

I think it's best we just ignore one another... I've tried...but you still find it necessary to troll and add comment about myself to others...it's really childish.

You can post whatever you like...but I will be ignoring you completely from now on...as I have no respect for your opinions what so ever...it's like trying to debate with an Alien....someone who doesn't watch BCFC and who doesn't understand modern football. A person who trolls, and likes to make underhand comments about poster's he doesn't particularly like. It's obvious I've got under your skin from all the snide comments about Agents and family business...you need to take a serious look at yourself on how to debate football in a non aggressive and personal manner. Lots do on here...and we have great discussions....even if we don't agree. It doesn't have to get personal or snide. My last word on it...

For your information this assumption is completely false.

Wow Mr Temper on legs calls me aggressive and personal.

and nope can't find any posts about games.

Although I'm behind SL

I think this is a pretty good balanced post making some really good/fair points Marcus

There is no doubt that there has been a shift away from the Club standing on its own two feet mantra - think it would be helpful once the madness has finished for SL to communicate his updated thoughts

I do agree football has descended into financial madness and am not entirely comfortable with adding to it - part of me thinks if you don't join em you more than likely miss out and just for once, just for once it would be great to see the Club on a sharp upward curve that was started last season

Good post Marcus

A lot of adjustment required from us all I guess

Football is what it is. How it got there isn't relevant anymore.

City either engage in the financial madness or end up struggling again. The club is currently "between a rock and a hard place" and IMO the club has no choice in the matter and I'm sure both SC and KB would agree.

The SL mantra of the club standing on its own feet is admirable and possible if City were an established PL club but with Championship income it's not currently viable. No doubt at all that SL knows that perfectly well.

Archived