IGNORED

A Fan Base Confused And Divided...

spudski

Indeed...I agree...let him spend his money.

But why all the previous seasons comments about a new philosophy at the Club?

Why say we have made mistakes and we have to sustain our club differently?

Why make out we will not be spending like before, as we have learned our lessons from it?

Why say all those things?

I don't care what he does...But I do care about the shit he spouts to the fans.

And those fans were all pretty much behind his idea of running the club in a sustainable manner.

Now everyone is carrying on

like it was never spoken about.

But isn't it a change of philosophy? Last time we bought journeymen older players, this time we are buying younger championship class players

I would agree that 9m does appear an awful lot of money, for us to spend on one player.

If this deal goes through it would be good to hear from the Club how this sits with FFP, as I can understand that SL has a great deal of money, but the owners of Man City has a lot of cash and they still fell foul of FFP.

Are we risking a transfer embargo in the future?

Why make out we will not be spending like before, as we have learned our lessons from it?

And those fans were all pretty much behind his idea of running the club in a sustainable manner.

Now everyone is carrying on like it was never spoken about.

I think he realises that he can't get what he wants for the prices he intended to pay. Perhaps like us he has seen the stadium redevelopment and although you can see plans and flythroughs it's never the same as actually stepping inside is it. He wants to fill it the best way he can. He is grasping the chance with both hands, he has had to make the choice let it slip through his fingers and accept LeagueOne and flirts with th Championship, or establish ourself and push on. No doubt he has his own business sense and a team of advisors who know the football and don't forget the other sports he now has. He wants success, and success breeds success, and this always needs a financial input.

Ok, I understand what you are saying but there is more to signing a player than paying a transfer fee

oh i quite agree, it may have been the case that we would have signed him now anyway.  but it seems there has been a lot of change of heart taking place with targets due to the money involved.  this has hampered us and put mr cotterill in a bad mood, which just get worse when we lose :)

Now everyone is carrying on like it was never spoken about.

That's double talk Spud, the only thing that has changed is the price tag for our last 2 targets, nothing else has changed.

and if he says it's sustainable then he's the one who knows.

and to turn the argument completely around, we've seen the hysteria surrounding JET the bit part player, imagine the hypocritical outcry if we followed that up with the sale of Bryan at a nice profit, which is also part of our 'sustainable' club bringing on through the academy and selling, people cannot have it both ways, because without the ambition the Joe Bryans will not want to stay.

That's double talk Spud, the only thing that has changed is the price tag for our last 2 targets, nothing else has changed.

and to turn the argument completely around, we've seen the hysteria surrounding JET the bit part player, imagine the hypocritical outcry if we followed that up with the sale of Bryan at a nice profit, which is also part of our 'sustainable' club bringing on through the academy and selling, people cannot have it both ways, because without the ambition the Joe Bryans will not want to stay.

We won't sell Bryan, we are loaning him to Hibs

How do you know it isn't ?

PS: are you owed a brick as well ?

I don't....but why complain about being quoted 7M then bidding 9M.

Why did SL make out he's been shocked by Championship fees....then back in April spoke about knowing how overpriced Championship is and that its a 'silly business'.

Why talk about sustainability and not paying high fees and wages?

Why talk about Clubs like Brentford as a Club to follow, and do business like? That's a joke in itself for so many reasons.

As for a Brick Tone...do you think i'm stupid enough to invest anything in this Club, in the knowledge it's not likely to be realised...get real Tone ;-)

Ok, I understand what you are saying but there is more to signing a player than paying a transfer fee

Of course there is more. You have too press some buttons on the playstation!

I think they probably did try and get him in earlier, along with a few other and perhaps we are a little bit wet behind the ears at this level of business and thought we'd just turn up with the offer and the clubs, players and their agents would jump at the chance to join us.  That obviously hasn't happened and so we've had to change tact and play the waiting game.  i'd be very surprised that after we sign a forward, whether it be gray, gayle, rooney, or whoever we don't go out and spend another few million on a defender and a midfielder or two.  Plus a couple of loan signings once the window is closed.  We'll be playing the waiting game now to see who comes available and wants to join us, deadline day may be very exciting.

Very wet behind the ears, and a complete lack of fact finding, which is a little surprising judging by Cotterill's suggestion he wanted people in at the end of last season, but it didn't happen.  Either they were blindly hoping that prices would drop or they just turned down his request.  Way back in march and May we would have known about these prices, and if we didn't then the question has to be why, and whoever is supposed to know these things has been rather lax or economical with the truth with the owner.

It does not paint a good picture for a team trying to push on to the next level

I think he realises that he can't get what he wants for the prices he intended to pay. Perhaps like us he has seen the stadium redevelopment and although you can see plans and flythroughs it's never the same as actually stepping inside is it. He wants to fill it the best way he can. He is grasping the chance with both hands, he has had to make the choice let it slip through his fingers and accept LeagueOne and flirts with th Championship, or establish ourself and push on. No doubt he has his own business sense and a team of advisors who know the football and don't forget the other sports he now has. He wants success, and success breeds success, and this always needs a financial input.

Another top reply. That's two in one thread!

If we can afford it and it is sustainable EMB...then great.

It's all the bullshit talk that irks me...about being shocked at 'Fees' of 7M then two weeks later bidding 9M.

Recent talk by SL and SC has all alluded to us not willing or being able to afford this...or held to ransom over prices.

Everything spoke of late, has not alluded to us bidding 9M.

Talk of running the club along the thinking of Brentford etc.

I have no problem with SL spending the money if it's sustainable.

What I have a problem with, is the bullshit....or not admitting to making mistakes in the transfer market.

There is not one fan on here who is not shocked by the 9M bid after all the recent talk.

Even the 2M for Jimmy shocked many....although tbh....that was the type of figure I was expecting us to pay for players this season.

As for JET...we don't know the reason he left. He might have wanted to move on and get a bigger wage.

As for Bryan...of course he will be sold, if the price is right.

Running a sustainable club, is about developing players like Bryan, using them to around 28 yo....getting the best out of them, then moving them on for a silly fee.

If we wish to compete at this level, then funds and fees will need to be made available to the manager.

My view/opinion is that it's an awful amount of money to pay out on just one player.

With that sort of money, maybe a we could've found another three or four "Luke Freemans" to give competition in every position. Young, Hungry players who have been discarded by Premier League teams in favour of Johnny Foreigners.

That said, I still remember those awful days of the early 1980's when our great club sunk like a stone, down through each league division and almost into oblivion and history.

This, I believe, is what splits opinion.

Should we "splash the cash" and push for the promised land. or, continue to be an under achieving Large City football club forever in the footballing back waters?

I don't....but why complain about being quoted 7M then bidding 9M.

Why did SL make out he's been shocked by Championship fees....then back in April spoke about knowing how overpriced Championship is and that its a 'silly business'.

Why talk about sustainability and not paying high fees and wages?

Why talk about Clubs like Brentford as a Club to follow, and do business like? That's a joke in itself for so many reasons.

As for a Brick Tone...do you think i'm stupid enough to invest anything in this Club, in the knowledge it's not likely to be realised...get real Tone ;-)

Do you go to the games cos if you do you invest in the club. But from what I read from your your posts I assume you normally attend the memorial ground

If we can afford it and it is sustainable EMB...then great.

It's all the bullshit talk that irks me...about being shocked at 'Fees' of 7M then two weeks later bidding 9M.

Recent talk by SL and SC has all alluded to us not willing or being able to afford this...or held to ransom over prices.

Everything spoke of late, has not alluded to us bidding 9M.

Talk of running the club along the thinking of Brentford etc.

I have no problem with SL spending the money if it's sustainable.

What I have a problem with, is the bullshit....or not admitting to making mistakes in the transfer market.

There is not one fan on here who is not shocked by the 9M bid after all the recent talk.

Even the 2M for Jimmy shocked many....although tbh....that was the type of figure I was expecting us to pay for players this season.

As for JET...we don't know the reason he left. He might have wanted to move on and get a bigger wage.

As for Bryan...of course he will be sold, if the price is right.

Running a sustainable club, is about developing players like Bryan, using them to around 28 yo....getting the best out of them, then moving them on for a silly fee.

Talk about hedging your bets, so we have to wait another 7 years to sell Bryan?, surely that's as big a risk as spending 9mil, anything can happen to him in 7 years.

You are describing a selling club and I think the sort of fees that we are supposed to be offering, seems to quash that thought.

Talk about hedging your bets, so we have to wait another 7 years to sell Bryan?, surely that's as big a risk as spending 9mil, anything can happen to him in 7 years.

You are describing a selling club and I think the sort of fees that we are supposed to be offering, seems to quash that thought.

No....that's what SL and the board have been talking about doing for the last season or two.

Developing players, buying young, using them, then making a profit from them when they are past their peak.

It's proven most players past their peak around 28/29....hence why we want 24 year olds, with experience, and give them 4 year type contracts.

Or you develop them yourself like we've done with Joe.

It's not hedging your bets...it's called running a sustainable football club....something our Club has alluded to doing in recent times.

No....that's what SL and the board have been talking about doing for the last season or two.

Developing players, buying young, using them, then making a profit from them when they are past their peak.

It's proven most players past their peak around 28/29....hence why we want 24 year olds, with experience, and give them 4 year type contracts.

Or you develop them yourself like we've done with Joe.

It's not hedging your bets...it's called running a sustainable football club....something our Club has alluded to doing in recent times.

Spud you will never be happy, the only time you are ever happy on here is when you either talk about or see a game at FGR.

Spudski.

Your football knowledge is first class. We all know that.

Regrettably, your comments about SL and the transfer market are unhelpful.

May I remind you that we are blessed with a majority owner who is a) a proper City fan b) a local man and c) hugely wealthy.

What more do we want ?

Certainly the club have made mistakes in the transfer market. Which club hasn't ? It might be that the Gray transfer (if it happens) is a mistake.

Let SL and SC manage all this and just turn up to support the club.

Frankly I am getting tired of people on here who think they could manage things better. Most of them have no idea of what is involved in running a business.

In summary - let them get on with it.

We are in good hands - believe me.

Spud you will never be happy, the only time you are ever happy on here is when you either talk about or see a game at FGR.

Don't talk silly fella... I'm just not a fool or happy clapper who goes along with everything the Club bullshits about.

It's called constructive criticism.

I want the best for the Club...and don't want to be treated by the Club like an idiot.

I like it when you talk about football and have something to debate...but read through most of your recent posts...and most bang on about other posters or ITK's....whatever they are...you seem happiest when doing that and not talking about watching City.

Spudski.

Your football knowledge is first class. We all know that.

Regrettably, your comments about SL and the transfer market are unhelpful.

May I remind you that we are blessed with a majority owner who is a) a proper City fan b) a local man and c) hugely wealthy.

What more do we want ?

Certainly the club have made mistakes in the transfer market. Which club hasn't ? It might be that the Gray transfer (if it happens) is a mistake.

Let SL and SC manage all this and just turn up to support the club.

Frankly I am getting tired of people on here who think they could manage things better. Most of them have no idea of what is involved in running a business.

In summary - let them get on with it.

We are in good hands - believe me.

My comments are based on what the Club and SL have recently stated, about the way the Club will be run and it's sustainability and their 'shock' at Championship player fees. I'm only questioning their comments and what they have alluded to of late.

If it seems 'unhelpful'....it's only brought on by themselves.

No one will have seen these recent transfer bids coming. So questioning comments made, and recent actions taken....how is that unhelpful?

I have no problem with what SL does with his money, if it doesn't ruin the Club.

What I have a problem with, is the mixed messages and communication and bullshit spouted by him and the Club.

Nothing more.

What a load of rubbish, SL cannot ever win, we don't sign anyone and its SL's fault, then we try and sign players and that's bad as well (too much money apparently) we get a new stadium and fans pick holes in every part of it (seat colour, not a proper end, too many disabled spaces, etc etc) nothing SL does is good enough for some people, we have the moaniest fans ever! I can't believe you kept a straight face when commenting that SL has made the club un-sellable because he's spent too much money!! Unbelievable and embarrassing at the same time!

I don't think it's fair to criticise people who object to how the ground was designed. Was always going to be the way!

I think the SS design is poor and a wasted opportunity to give us a proper end and the lower dolman looks ugly. That's no slight on SL, that's a criticism of the architect.

Interesting choice of words, are you referring to SL running his business or SL running the Football club?

Essentially it's Keith Burt and Junior Lansdown who run the club on a day to day basis. That said, no major decision gets made without the approval of the owner.

I don't think it's fair to criticise people who object to how the ground was designed. Was always going to be the way!

I think the SS design is poor and a wasted opportunity to give us a proper end and the lower dolman looks ugly. That's no slight on SL, that's a criticism of the architect.

I disagree, I like the a South Stand and the lower dolman. I think it's completely fair to criticise negativity in the extreme, it's also fair to criticise positivity! It's a forum with different opinions

Archived