IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

1 hour ago, Stortz said:

How can you be so sure mate when AJ was 3 up on one judges card and 2 up on another going into the 11th? Especially given that AJ then went and blitzed the bloke out of there. Seems a completely moot point to me.

AJ will always give people the chance to beat him because he goes in for the ko every time and that's why he's going to make so much money, he guarantees excitement.

He still had loads to learn but let's enjoy him rather than start to denigrate him just because he's made it, as some already seem to be doing (not a dig at you or Yardy btw, we seem to be great at that in this country).

Not having a dig at all, firmly behind Joshua. As others have said, great demeanour and seems like a nice, grounded young man.

I watched the fight with a lot of people from the boxing community. Notable amateurs, judges etc. All of us had Wlad winning on points. I noticed the ringside judge had Joshua, but as we see in boxing all the time, home town decisions often occur, even if the judges are foreign. Germany is notorious for it. 

Everyone has an opinion and I'm sure many saw AJ as winning that, but for me, Wlad boxed brilliantly. Controlled the fight tempo, kept AJ at bay, caught him with the jab lots. But when Joshua storms in and connects, no-one is safe. Just hope he sorts his fitness out.

27 minutes ago, SARJ said:

Not having a dig at all, firmly behind Joshua. As others have said, great demeanour and seems like a nice, grounded young man.

I watched the fight with a lot of people from the boxing community. Notable amateurs, judges etc. All of us had Wlad winning on points. I noticed the ringside judge had Joshua, but as we see in boxing all the time, home town decisions often occur, even if the judges are foreign. Germany is notorious for it. 

Everyone has an opinion and I'm sure many saw AJ as winning that, but for me, Wlad boxed brilliantly. Controlled the fight tempo, kept AJ at bay, caught him with the jab lots. But when Joshua storms in and connects, no-one is safe. Just hope he sorts his fitness out.

I respect your opinion Sarj, you clearly know your stuff. I also had Wlad ahead on points but he was clearly losing on the only cards that actually mattered, which is why I mentioned it. It proves that even experienced judges get swayed by the crowd I guess.

Wlad put in one of his greatest ever performances and got beaten by a boxer in his 19th fight- so the question is, how good will AJ be when he's the finished article? He obviously needs to reduce muscle mass to aid recovery, but his team and him are learning with every fight.

I'm not referring to our conversation here, but there's a lot of hype and casual interest in AJ atm which is grinding the gears of some of the more hardcore followers of boxing online, I just wish they'd enjoy the interest in the sport rather than resent it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Stortz said:

I respect your opinion Sarj, you clearly know your stuff. I also had Wlad ahead on points but he was clearly losing on the only cards that actually mattered, which is why I mentioned it. It proves that even experienced judges get swayed by the crowd I guess.

Wlad put in one of his greatest ever performances and got beaten by a boxer in his 19th fight- so the question is, how good will AJ be when he's the finished article? He obviously needs to reduce muscle mass to aid recovery, but his team and him are learning with every fight.

I'm not referring to our conversation here, but there's a lot of hype and casual interest in AJ atm which is grinding the gears of some of the more hardcore followers of boxing online, I just wish they'd enjoy the interest in the sport rather than resent it.

Very true, a lot of people actually involved in boxing do not like how it becomes so mainstream whenever AJ fights; suddenly every Tom, Dick or Harry has an expert opinion and wants to lace up their gloves. In reality, the exposure and money is good for the sport.

That said, seen some beautiful tweets over the weekend that sum up the boxing casual. My particular favorite was one bloke asking when AJ will fight Mayweather and what a great fight it will be.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Stortz said:

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but I have heard a few people say that Joshua came in at a career heaviest and will want to go lighter in future after gassing in the fifth could have cost him the fight.

Stupid question on the scoring: do the judges include their scores for the round in which the fight is stopped?

1 hour ago, MichaelRobartes said:

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but I have heard a few people say that Joshua came in at a career heaviest and will want to go lighter in future after gassing in the fifth could have cost him the fight.

Stupid question on the scoring: do the judges include their scores for the round in which the fight is stopped?

I think it's the last completed round..

AJ felt the effects of the fifth round  up until 9/10? It's hard to say if he would have got through if he was lighter.

Fantastic fight.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Yeah exactly, they need to find the right blend. He was obviously a bit too big and got too involved and emotional after the knock down in the 5th, he shouldn't have been celebrating!

To his credit he he found a way back after after that, and was calm enough to wait and grow back into the fight until he'd got enough in the bank for the onslaught in the 11th- that's ring smarts far beyond his 19 fight experience, and a frightening amount of power to carry that late in such a concussive bout.

@B1ackbird is right, the cards are up to the last completed round.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Canelo v Chavez Jnr on Saturday on BT Sport 2am. Expecting an easy enough nights work for Canelo. 

Lucas Mattyhese on the undercard. He's a puncher

Yeah, I can only see a routine Canelo win. It'll be interesting to see if Chavez jnr can make weight for once, he's apparently being fined a million dollars per pound over! He also made a dick out of Canelo in the HBO face off show this week which he may pay for on Saturday.

I enjoy watching Matthysse, he's been in some great fights. Don't know how rusty he'll be though, he hasn't fought since getting ko'd by Postol in 2015.

7 hours ago, Stortz said:

Yeah, I can only see a routine Canelo win. It'll be interesting to see if Chavez jnr can make weight for once, he's apparently being fined a million dollars per pound over! He also made a dick out of Canelo in the HBO face off show this week which he may pay for on Saturday.

I enjoy watching Matthysse, he's been in some great fights. Don't know how rusty he'll be though, he hasn't fought since getting ko'd by Postol in 2015.

Same. Chavez Jr is entertaining but not in the same league as Alvarez. Chavez will try to make it a Mexican brawl, but Canelo will ultimately box clever and get the KO.

Matthysse v Provodnikov was a great fight a few years back. 2 big punchers.

21 minutes ago, SARJ said:

Same. Chavez Jr is entertaining but not in the same league as Alvarez. Chavez will try to make it a Mexican brawl, but Canelo will ultimately box clever and get the KO.

Matthysse v Provodnikov was a great fight a few years back. 2 big punchers.

Yeah it was a cracker, I still can't believe it made it to points. Provodnikov is relentless!

Matthysse's fights against Lamont Peterson and John Molina were entertaining too, poor Molina ate so many shots.

3 hours ago, Tomarse said:

He looks poor, perfect for Detonay to add another victory to his CV.

I reckon Hughie could have pulled that off with Pete in his corner.

if only he hadn't eaten all of those boar entrails!

Edit, also Pete was denied a visa due to his massive speed dealing conviction!

Edited by Stortz
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Northern Red said:

It's actually quite shrewd promoting from Canelo's side. Get a PPV that was a terrible fight out of the way and dodge a lot of criticism by announcing the Golovkin fight immediately afterwards.

Very hard one to call. I can't see how it can't be a great fight.

I can't see how Canelo can win, GGG too big, It's the only fight that makes sense financially for either of them at this point in their careers...

9 hours ago, Northern Red said:

It's actually quite shrewd promoting from Canelo's side. Get a PPV that was a terrible fight out of the way and dodge a lot of criticism by announcing the Golovkin fight immediately afterwards.

Very hard one to call. I can't see how it can't be a great fight.

It's a great match up, really hard to predict. A couple of years ago I would have gone with GGG for sure but I don't know now.

Canelo is a brilliant counter puncher and loves fighters standing in the pocket and exchanging with him, which is no doubt what Gennady will do. Alvarez struggles more with quicker movers and although GGG is amazing at cutting off a ring he's not particularly speedy. GGG is the sort of fighter Canelo loves being in with essentially but the latter could give the former a chance to unload if he sits on the ropes like he has a bit of a tendancy to, and that hasn't ended well for many opponents thanks to Golovkin's fearful power. The styles mesh perfectly and it should make for a brilliant fight!

I'm just delighted the politcs have effed off and the fight has been made. It'll be very interesting to see where it's staged too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stortz said:

It's a great match up, really hard to predict. A couple of years ago I would have gone with GGG for sure but I don't know now.

Canelo is a brilliant counter puncher and loves fighters standing in the pocket and exchanging with him, which is no doubt what Gennady will do. Alvarez struggles more with quicker movers and although GGG is amazing at cutting off a ring he's not particularly speedy. GGG is the sort of fighter Canelo loves being in with essentially but the latter could give the former a chance to unload if he sits on the ropes like he has a bit of a tendancy to, and that hasn't ended well for many opponents thanks to Golovkin's fearful power. The styles mesh perfectly and it should make for a brilliant fight!

I'm just delighted the politcs have effed off and the fight has been made. It'll be very interesting to see where it's staged too.

Thoroughly agree Stortz, all I will say (which has swayed my decision) is this: If GGG fought Chavez Jr, it would have been a KO victory.

• Like 1

Just watched the Canelo/Chavez fight, what a bloody shambles from Chavez!

You would think after losing the first 5 or 6 rounds he would of tried something different to win the fight but no! Him and his corner should be ashamed.

It's almost as if he lost the fight before it started, he never looked confident.

Really excited for GGG/Canelo its the best fight in boxing right now and made before its gets too late ala Mayweather/Pacquaio.

Hard to predict a winner but i can't see either of them getting ko'd so i think its going to be a brutal 12 round war!

38 minutes ago, yardy said:

Just watched the Canelo/Chavez fight, what a bloody shambles from Chavez!

You would think after losing the first 5 or 6 rounds he would of tried something different to win the fight but no! Him and his corner should be ashamed.

It's almost as if he lost the fight before it started, he never looked confident.

Really excited for GGG/Canelo its the best fight in boxing right now and made before its gets too late ala Mayweather/Pacquaio.

Hard to predict a winner but i can't see either of them getting ko'd so i think its going to be a brutal 12 round war!

I thik Chavez was totally dead at the weight mate, he cut far too much too quick to avoid the million dollar per pound over fine and ended up climbing through the ropes like a ghost. His eyes were so sunken at the weigh in, he looked screwed. Not an excuse for his performance of course but an explanation, his team and him should (yet again!) never have allowed him to be so far off the weight that he had to dive at it like that.

It played totally into the generally accepted narritive in Mexico of Canelo pulling himself up from nothing and going pro at 15, whereas JCC jnr had it all handed to him on a plate but would rather be a playboy living off of his dad's name than a dedicated fighter. Canelo not even bothering to sit down between rounds was a very clear, deliberate humiliation of Chavez too.

• Like 1