IGNORED

JET

GrahamC

This is something I have been musing over. I haven't been able to go yet this season but have seen numerous people say that Kodjia makes runs that other players just don't spot, whereas when JET was here there would be a few times per game- even his quiet games- where he would make a pass that no one had the anticipation to spot. JET and Kodjia in a team together I think would go one of 2 ways, either an absolute disaster, or a dream combination from a sheerly attacking point of view.

Not strictly true.  I believe Bobby Reid has the vision to spot and the ability to pick out, but he's bizarrely not given the chance he deserves despite probably being our best performer this season along with Kodjia.  Give him the run in the side he deserves and see what happens.  JET?  Not in this league, for me.

Jet would not be good enough. Far too inconsistent and doesn't work hard, at all. Can't be having a luxury like him when we're battling at the bottom. Brilliant against lower half league 1 teams, but we need better than him.

Of course he's good enough. Problem is, to get the best out of him, you need to build the team around him. Talent wise he's absolutely good enough, on talent alone he's a premier league player.

As for better than him, I would struggle to name 5 *realistic* players who play his role who are better than him that would come to us.

JET has all the talent and more...but it's like putting all that football talent and brain in Frank Bruno's body....however much you train and diet....you're not going to get that lad around a football pitch for 90 mins, for the standard needed consistently at Championship and Prem level.

Frustrating for him and anyone that watches him....even more so for managers I should imagine.

JET has all the talent and more...but it's like putting all that football talent and brain in Frank Bruno's body....however much you train and diet....you're not going to get that lad around a football pitch for 90 mins, for the standard needed consistently at Championship and Prem level.

Frustrating for him and anyone that watches him....even more so for managers I should imagine.

This is true. However when he was here I wondered how hard he pushed himself in his training to improve on stamina and speed. I suspect that there were some gains to be made if he really wanted them.

On the other hand though no matter how much training a Frank Bruno body type did, that player would never acquire the ball skills, touch and vision that is natural to JET.

He's the sort of player who was either enthralling to watch or very frustrating. But I enjoyed the time he was here.

Of course he's good enough. Problem is, to get the best out of him, you need to build the team around him. Talent wise he's absolutely good enough, on talent alone he's a premier league player.

As for better than him, I would struggle to name 5 *realistic* players who play his role who are better than him that would come to us.

i mean he is not good enough to improve us. Yes he has a lot of ability but how about the games when he is terrible? Last season there were the odd awful performance as well as the odd brilliant performance. Agard was regarded as a better option last season so if jet came then he'd be 4th choice, if that when we have Robinson and an improved burns. I liked watching jet but he is not a Cotterill type player and many other managers would not fancy a player with no workrate. Hard to play a pressing game when one of our players doesn't do it. He offers nothing without the ball at his feet and is not good off the ball when making runs. I disagree with people that say he would be better at through balls to kodjia. He does not look up enough to spot those passes and was never that good at them when he played up top with Baldock.

This is true. However when he was here I wondered how hard he pushed himself in his training to improve on stamina and speed. I suspect that there were some gains to be made if he really wanted them.

On the other hand though no matter how much training a Frank Bruno body type did, that player would never acquire the ball skills, touch and vision that is natural to JET.

He's the sort of player who was either enthralling to watch or very frustrating. But I enjoyed the time he was here.

From quotes by managers including Cotts...it was always down to his 'fitness'....however much you train, certain body types will not adapt to the required standard needed at top level sport. If that were the case...we would all be training to become runners or top class athletes...the majority of bodies don't have the ability needed to adapt to being in that top 1%.

However....you can increase your ability and standard.

A football physio was telling me about how the top teams test players types of skeleton and muscle fibres. Some players have been turned down because they know they will never make it to the level required, however much training.

This below best describes what i'm referring too....

Are you a better sprinter or distance runner? Many people believe that having more fast and slow twitch muscle fibers may determine what sports athletes excel at and how they respond to training.

Skeletal muscle is made up of bundles of individual muscle fibers called myocytes. Each myocyte contains many myofibrils, which are strands of proteins (actin and myosin) that can grab on to each other and pull.

Discover how to activate the one hormone that slows aging
Cut Down A Bit Of Your Belly Every Day With This 1 Weird Tip
Which Annuity Plan Will Get You The Highest Income? Find Out in 30 Secs

This shortens the muscle and causes muscle contraction.

It is generally accepted that muscle fiber types can be broken down into two main types: slow twitch (Type I) muscle fibers and fast twitch (Type II) muscle fibers. Fast twitch fibers can be further categorized into Type IIa and Type IIb fibers.

These distinctions seem to influence how muscles respond to training and physical activity, and each fiber type is unique in its ability to contract in a certain way. Human muscles contain a genetically determined mixture of both slow and fast fiber types. On average, we have about 50 percent slow twitch and 50 percent fast twitch fibers in most of the muscles used for movement.

Slow Twitch (Type I)
The slow muscles are more efficient at using oxygen to generate more fuel (known as ATP) for continuous, extended muscle contractions over a long time. They fire more slowly than fast twitch fibers and can go for a long time before they fatigue. Therefore, slow twitch fibers are great at helping athletes run marathons and bicycle for hours.

Fast Twitch (Type II)

Because fast twitch fibers use anaerobic metabolism to create fuel, they are much better at generating short bursts of strength or speed than slow muscles. However, they fatigue more quickly. Fast twitch fibers generally produce the same amount of force per contraction as slow muscles, but they get their name because they are able to fire more rapidly. Having more fast twitch fibers can be an asset to a sprinter since she needs to quickly generate a lot of force.

What Causes Muscle Fatigue?

Type IIa Fibers
These fast twitch muscle fibers are also known as intermediate fast-twitch fibers. They can use both aerobic and anaerobic metabolism almost equally to create energy. In this way, they are a combination of Type I and Type II muscle fibers.

Type IIb Fibers
These fast twitch fibers use anaerobic metabolism to create energy and are the "classic" fast twitch muscle fibers that excel at producing quick, powerful bursts of speed. This muscle fiber has the highest rate of contraction (rapid firing) of all the muscle fiber types, but it also has a much faster rate of fatigue and can't last as long before it needs rest.

Fiber Type and Performance
Our muscle fiber type may influence what sports we are naturally good at or whether we are fast or strong. Olympic athletes tend to fall into sports that match their genetic makeup. Olympic sprinters have been shown to possess about 80 percent fast twitch fibers, while those who excel in marathons tend to have 80 percent slow twitch fibers.

Are Athletes Born or Built?

Can Training Change Fiber Type?
This is not entirely understood, and research is still looking at that question. There is some evidence showing that human skeletal muscle may switch fiber types from "fast" to "slow" due to training.

These studies and journal articles offer more insight on muscle fiber research:

High-Intensity Training and Changes in Muscle Fiber, [www.springerlink.com/content/1137px7x66667132]

Nature vs. Nurture: Can Exercise Really Alter Fiber Type Composition?

Effects of Endurance Training on Muscle Fiber

What can I do to improve my performance?

Keep in mind that genetic differences may be dramatic at the elite levels of athletic competition. But following the principles of conditioning can dramatically improve personal performance of a typical athlete.

With consistent endurance training, muscle fibers can develop more and improve their ability to cope with and adapt to the stress of exercise.

Is fiber type the number one factor that makes an elite athlete elite?

Fiber type is part of a great athlete's success, but it alone is a poor predictor of performance. There are many other factors that go into determining athleticism, including mental preparedness, proper nutrition and hydration, getting enough rest, and having appropriate equipment and conditioning.

i mean he is not good enough to improve us. Yes he has a lot of ability but how about the games when he is terrible? Last season there were the odd awful performance as well as the odd brilliant performance. Agard was regarded as a better option last season so if jet came then he'd be 4th choice, if that when we have Robinson and an improved burns. I liked watching jet but he is not a Cotterill type player and many other managers would not fancy a player with no workrate. Hard to play a pressing game when one of our players doesn't do it. He offers nothing without the ball at his feet and is not good off the ball when making runs. I disagree with people that say he would be better at through balls to kodjia. He does not look up enough to spot those passes and was never that good at them when he played up top with Baldock.

Sorry Jon but that's rubbish! Baldock scored his most goals in a season playing with who up front? It's not necessarily just about who plays the final ball for the assist, it's about who pulls defenders, beats a man or creates space for the goalscorer. In his best season Jet actually made 9 assists anyway. I would love to know how many of those were directly to Sam.

Which games was he "awful" in? I just remember great games and then average games. 

Cotterill's choice would probably be Agard over JET - but my point isn't about SC's preferences, it's about ability more generally. I'm not convinced he offers "nothing" without the ball at his feet, simply by being the size he is he's useful to have defending (even if not his forte). Not good off the ball making runs? Sorry, but that's rubbish again! This is possibly his finest individual performance for us here - watch the runs he makes and the balls he plays. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_pDXfpH_Nw

Just because he doesn't appear to run around a lot like Scott Wagstaff or Marvin Elliot doesn't make him a worse player, just makes him less effective in a particular system. There's absolutely no way he'd be behind Robinson or Burns by the way.

Sorry Jon but that's rubbish! Baldock scored his most goals in a season playing with who up front? It's not necessarily just about who plays the final ball for the assist, it's about who pulls defenders, beats a man or creates space for the goalscorer. In his best season Jet actually made 9 assists anyway. I would love to know how many of those were directly to Sam.

Which games was he "awful" in? I just remember great games and then average games. 

Cotterill's choice would probably be Agard over JET - but my point isn't about SC's preferences, it's about ability more generally. I'm not convinced he offers "nothing" without the ball at his feet, simply by being the size he is he's useful to have defending (even if not his forte). Not good off the ball making runs? Sorry, but that's rubbish again! This is possibly his finest individual performance for us here - watch the runs he makes and the balls he plays. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_pDXfpH_Nw

Just because he doesn't appear to run around a lot like Scott Wagstaff or Marvin Elliot doesn't make him a worse player, just makes him less effective in a particular system. There's absolutely no way he'd be behind Robinson or Burns by the way.

how many of Smiths goals last year came from having JET next to him. We would 100% be a better squad with JET in it. 

If we had those two this year, I think we'd have been in a very good position. Alas, it was not be.

Sorry, but that makes no sense. 

We have the worst goals against tally of any of the 92 teams in the English football league. Do you really think that having Matt Smith and JET would have changed this? 

We have scored more goals than two top half teams and are only just behind several other teams in the top half on goals scored. 

Our inability to keep the ball out of our own net is what has cost us points, not a lack of goals scored. 

Kodjia has scored half of our goals, and for us to be in a 'very good' position we would have had to have scored a fair few more than we've conceded. So take out Kodjia's goals and JET  and Smith would need to have scored about 20 between them at this stage to have us in a very good position (and we'd still have the worst goals against tally of any team in the .... )

Jet always sat deeper, sometimes with his hands in his hips, didn't bother Cotts and certainly didn't mean he was lazy, people need to understand that word when it comes to football. 

Jet liked to carry the ball through retreating midfielders and on coming defenders, it created so much space for other players and created confused defences/managers.

The big gripe I have is why people sing songs about a gifted yet unfit, polish alcoholic,lwho was hardly sober when he a played a handful of games, jet people have the guile or cheek to question Jets aptitude and attitude at City.

ps Jacki was still my hero.

Sorry, but that makes no sense. 

We have the worst goals against tally of any of the 92 teams in the English football league. Do you really think that having Matt Smith and JET would have changed this? 

We have scored more goals than two top half teams and are only just behind several other teams in the top half on goals scored. 

Our inability to keep the ball out of our own net is what has cost us points, not a lack of goals scored. 

Kodjia has scored half of our goals, and for us to be in a 'very good' position we would have had to have scored a fair few more than we've conceded. So take out Kodjia's goals and JET  and Smith would need to have scored about 20 between them at this stage to have us in a very good position (and we'd still have the worst goals against tally of any team in the .... )

I think if we'd have managed to sign Gray or Gayle we'd also be doing a lot better than we are currently. We've missed a lot of chances in games, and had we taken them, that naturally breeds confidence throughout the rest of the side. Many of the games we've been in already have seen us play well, fail to convert and then concede against the run of play. I don't think our defenders are poor, they're still learning at this level - many of the goals conceded have been from counter attacks or set pieces. However, if we had scored more and taken the lead a few more times, we'd have been more confident in all areas. We've conceded four goals in two games - one when we went down to 10 and kept going forward, and the other when we had a completely revamped defence with two new CB's.

We're lacking confidence due to having a worse squad than last year and strength in depth. Wilbs' has struggled to adapt to this level so far, if we had Kodjia/Gray up front or JET/Smith, I'm certain we'd have accumulated more points.

i don't understand why Dziekanowski is considered by many too be a legend and Jet , who had far more impact , is vilified .

There do not appear to be many posts here noting how hard Jay Emmanuel Thomas MUST have worked to become as skillful as he is. That exceptional level of skill does not occur without millions of touches of the ball within tens of thousands of hours of relentless practice.

It is rare to see that level of skill at any level.

It is rarer still to see that level of skill in a frame that can get around the pitch relentlessly as some feel he should.

There is a British paradox here that the hard graft that has created the skillful Jay Emmanuel Thomas becomes the thing he is condemned for wasting, while those who slog around doing five six miles a game get lauded.

I think if we'd have managed to sign Gray or Gayle we'd also be doing a lot better than we are currently. We've missed a lot of chances in games, and had we taken them, that naturally breeds confidence throughout the rest of the side. Many of the games we've been in already have seen us play well, fail to convert and then concede against the run of play. I don't think our defenders are poor, they're still learning at this level - many of the goals conceded have been from counter attacks or set pieces. However, if we had scored more and taken the lead a few more times, we'd have been more confident in all areas. We've conceded four goals in two games - one when we went down to 10 and kept going forward, and the other when we had a completely revamped defence with two new CB's.

We're lacking confidence due to having a worse squad than last year and strength in depth. Wilbs' has struggled to adapt to this level so far, if we had Kodjia/Gray up front or JET/Smith, I'm certain we'd have accumulated more points.

As a club we always seem to come back to increasing goals scored as the solution rather than reducing goals conceded, whether that's fans or managers. 

We have conceded more goals than any other team in the country and to suggest that's because of lack of confidence in the team because we've not scored goals/taken chances is lunacy.

We're bottom of the league and yet only half the teams in the league have scored more than us. 

Then again people also thought Baldock should have had 67 goals when he won the golden boot - we seem to have a real blind spot with addressing the actual problem - we spent all summer chasing expensive strikers, none of whom would have stopped us leaking goals for fun the way we have. 

As a club we always seem to come back to increasing goals scored as the solution rather than reducing goals conceded, whether that's fans or managers. 

We have conceded more goals than any other team in the country and to suggest that's because of lack of confidence in the team because we've not scored goals/taken chances is lunacy.

We're bottom of the league and yet only half the teams in the league have scored more than us. 

Then again people also thought Baldock should have had 67 goals when he won the golden boot - we seem to have a real blind spot with addressing the actual problem - we spent all summer chasing expensive strikers, none of whom would have stopped us leaking goals for fun the way we have. 

McInnes went too defensive in 12/13. Instead of sticking with the team that had so much success in the opening few games, after a few bad results he resorted to 4-5-1 with the likes of Ryan Taylor up front. Positivity is the key behind results. We're chasing a lot of games at the minute. If we could take the lead in a few games and keep playing the football that we're capable of, we'll get the results. But we need more than just Kodjia for goals.

I'd like to see Kodjia and Agard up front. I'm not Agard's biggest fan but he came on and changed the game against Leeds - and with him and Kodjia up top, Bryan and (hopefully) a fully-fit Little providing pace out wide, and Freeman the playmaker, ideally we'll have a bit more success and the defence will, in turn, gain a little confidence along with the rest of the team. All ifs and buts though, isn't it.

McInnes went too defensive in 12/13. Instead of sticking with the team that had so much success in the opening few games, after a few bad results he resorted to 4-5-1 with the likes of Ryan Taylor up front. Positivity is the key behind results. We're chasing a lot of games at the minute. If we could take the lead in a few games and keep playing the football that we're capable of, we'll get the results. But we need more than just Kodjia for goals.

I'd like to see Kodjia and Agard up front. I'm not Agard's biggest fan but he came on and changed the game against Leeds - and with him and Kodjia up top, Bryan and (hopefully) a fully-fit Little providing pace out wide, and Freeman the playmaker, ideally we'll have a bit more success and the defence will, in turn, gain a little confidence along with the rest of the team. All ifs and buts though, isn't it.

I'm not advocating 11 men behind the ball at all times but it doesn't take a genius to see that we are scoring enough, but conceding far, far too many. 

When you exclude City, these are the averages for the Championship so far:

GF: 11.2

GA: 10.9

We have scored 11 which puts us smack bang  in the middle - so essentially we are a mid table side based on goals scored. 

We have conceded 19 - nearly double the average, and our best chance of addressing our troubles is stopping that alarming trend. 

We simply will not survive if we continue to concede 2.1 goals per game. 

Agree about Agard and Kodjia together but in all honesty goals scored just doesn't concern me as we are doing OK in that regard. 

We've conceded nearly double the average because of those two games we conceded four in, that I described above. It's difficult to explain. My opinion is that if we were scoring goals at the right times, instead of meaningless consolation goals, there'd be less pressure on the defence, and the team as a whole would be more confident. We've been in the lead three times this season, once against high-flying Middlesbrough which we went on to win, once against Brentford where we went down to 10 men in the first half, and then again this weekend where SC said after the match we were too negative when we took the lead - again, that's probably a result of a lack of confidence.

We've conceded nearly double the average because of those two games we conceded four in, that I described above. It's difficult to explain. My opinion is that if we were scoring goals at the right times, instead of meaningless consolation goals, there'd be less pressure on the defence, and the team as a whole would be more confident. We've been in the lead three times this season, once against high-flying Middlesbrough which we went on to win, once against Brentford where we went down to 10 men in the first half, and then again this weekend where SC said after the match we were too negative when we took the lead - again, that's probably a result of a lack of confidence.

Whilst I agree that confidence plays a large part in overall team performance, the facts are that in 7 out of 9 games we've conceded two or more goals. That will get us relegated if it continues, and it's a pretty tenuous argument to suggest it's down to lack of defenders confidence because we haven't scored enough. 

In my opinion we put all our eggs in one basket in the window and went all out to capture a marquee striker when it wasnt the area that most needed strengthening. 

All my opinion of course

Not strictly true.  I believe Bobby Reid has the vision to spot and the ability to pick out, but he's bizarrely not given the chance he deserves despite probably being our best performer this season along with Kodjia.  Give him the run in the side he deserves and see what happens.  JET?  Not in this league, for me.

that's fair enough,  was going from what i have read and heard as i haven't been able to go yet this year

I'm not advocating 11 men behind the ball at all times but it doesn't take a genius to see that we are scoring enough, but conceding far, far too many. 

When you exclude City, these are the averages for the Championship so far:

GF: 11.2

GA: 10.9

We have scored 11 which puts us smack bang  in the middle - so essentially we are a mid table side based on goals scored. 

We have conceded 19 - nearly double the average, and our best chance of addressing our troubles is stopping that alarming trend. 

We simply will not survive if we continue to concede 2.1 goals per game. 

Agree about Agard and Kodjia together but in all honesty goals scored just doesn't concern me as we are doing OK in that regard. 

Agree the stats, in this case, don't lie, it's goals against that are the problem. That said, defending starts from the front, look at Ipswich's equalizer starts with one of their players walking around Wilbs like he is not there, whereas someone like Agard would have been snapping at his feet forcing a hurried pass. I also doubt we would have conceded all the goals from corners had we had Matt Smith in the side, to win some of the headers.

For people to say i would have kept him is nonsense as that wasn't possible. The fact is that JET didnt stay because we couldn't afford the wages he wanted so he decided to leave for pastures new.

You cant blame him at his stage of his career

A lot of posts on here say 'fact' - fair play if you know for certain, but what was JET asking for in wages if you know 'the fact is he didn't stay because we couldn't afford the wages he wanted'?

Or if you don't know what he wanted,  how do you know we couldn't afford it?

Not having a go mate, just interested in how people on here source their 'facts'

Archived