IGNORED

Midfield the problem?

Lew-T

Just a observation really. As to why we haven't been doing too well this season? The three players in there are crucial to our side, just as much as the full backs. I'll start with Korey Smith..

Without a doubt the better player out of the three in the middle, does the dirty work and does it well. Very, very rare does he give that ball away and it great in the tackle! 

Luke Freeman is another very good player but he hasn't been good enough, I think Luke himself will tell you that, he's much more capable but he's been pretty ineffective to say the least. Tuesday night was his worst performance I've seen! Maybe a break on the sidelines might do him good.

Marlon Pack, pretty much a marmite player within the fanbase. I personally do rate the guy, there is somewhere there but he needs to do it on a consistent basis. I've seen him a few times when we are caught on the break, his tracking back in awful and he really needs to improve on his set pieces. Some of the free kicks are just a complete waste and simply not good enough! 

I think we could with 1 more quality player in the middle, somebody who can add goals from midfield because we've nobody at the moment. Freeman is the only real player who can do it but he's out of form!

apart from Korey, the other two positions are up for grabs IMO! 

14 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Just a observation really. As to why we haven't been doing too well this season? The three players in there are crucial to our side, just as much as the full backs. I'll start with Korey Smith..

Without a doubt the better player out of the three in the middle, does the dirty work and does it well. Very, very rare does he give that ball away and it great in the tackle! 

Luke Freeman is another very good player but he hasn't been good enough, I think Luke himself will tell you that, he's much more capable but he's been pretty ineffective to say the least. Tuesday night was his worst performance I've seen! Maybe a break on the sidelines might do him good.

Marlon Pack, pretty much a marmite player within the fanbase. I personally do rate the guy, there is somewhere there but he needs to do it on a consistent basis. I've seen him a few times when we are caught on the break, his tracking back in awful and he really needs to improve on his set pieces. Some of the free kicks are just a complete waste and simply not good enough! 

I think we could with 1 more quality player in the middle, somebody who can add goals from midfield because we've nobody at the moment. Freeman is the only real player who can do it but he's out of form!

I have said a few times, from the little that i've seen, we look good right up to the final third and then we seem to run out of ideas and we lack that player who can thread a ball into the box from those areas, that is not something any of the 3 midfielders possess within their game IMO.

17 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Who is out there that we can get on loan or who is available in Jan? Personally, I would give Reid another run in the side as he has impressed every time he has played.

Yea I just don't get why Bobby isn't getting a run with Freeman in the form he's in. Or Simon Cox who I think can play in the Freeman role. Just letting him try to play out of his bad form would've been fine but how long do you give him? 

Think Pack will be ok if he can start taking a chance or two from outside the box. Could definately be upgraded but he's been improving. 

Korey is sensational. He's not a goal scorer. He wins the ball back, plays simple balls, and doesn't give it away. Our best midfielder by far. Shame there isn't much around him at the moment. 

Korey Smith the only midfielder worth the shirt on a consistent basis. We were all worried that someone would come in and poach Freeman and Joe Bryan  in the summer, perhaps the championship managers could see their limitations. Pack is one dimensional, sits so far back he has to pass forwards to hit our centre halves, is in no way creative and has a poor dead ball technique. We have been lacking a decent midfielder since Tommy Doch, Hartley was class but his legs were gone. We seem to have had the same issue for years and yet successive managers have failed to rectify the issue. Just to bring in another issue , we lack pace, watching up at Bolton on saturday it was noticeable that we were unable to go past any defenders with pace, they had that Liam Feeney who several times turned on the gas and left our lot for dead,

2 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I have said a few times, from the little that i've seen, we look good right up to the final third and then we seem to run out of ideas and we lack that player who can thread a ball into the box from those areas, that is not something any of the 3 midfielders possess within their game IMO.

We don't lack that player, we have him on the bench under the name Bobby Reid 

Would definitely like an experienced old head in midfield...still think we've never replaced Wade properly.

Someone to give Pack competition.

I think it's more to do with the way we play, rather than just our midfield perse.

Our wing backs can create openings...but like has been noted....we lack the ability in the final third.

I've watched closely this problem.

If the ball is coming from one of wing backs....watch where the other wing back is. They are often in useless positions...most often the other side of the pitch hugging the touchline.

If Bennett has possession on the offensive....often Freeman and Wilbs/Agard and Kodijia will be the only other options available.

Both Pack and Smith will be behind the play...deeper....but the other player Williams or Bryan will often be in an offensive but useless position as they are too far wide. They need to come in more and make themselves available. Often a pass is not on, because too many defenders are in the way. That extra player option is what we are missing imho.

I'm all for stretching the defence....but we are literally taking it too far when in an offensive position. Great for options when coming from deep....but the wing backs need to become that fourth offensive option to pass to when in the final third. At the moment we aren't doing that.

29 minutes ago, spudski said:

Would definitely like an experienced old head in midfield...still think we've never replaced Wade properly.

Someone to give Pack competition.

I think it's more to do with the way we play, rather than just our midfield perse.

Our wing backs can create openings...but like has been noted....we lack the ability in the final third.

I've watched closely this problem.

If the ball is coming from one of wing backs....watch where the other wing back is. They are often in useless positions...most often the other side of the pitch hugging the touchline.

If Bennett has possession on the offensive....often Freeman and Wilbs/Agard and Kodijia will be the only other options available.

Both Pack and Smith will be behind the play...deeper....but the other player Williams or Bryan will often be in an offensive but useless position as they are too far wide. They need to come in more and make themselves available. Often a pass is not on, because too many defenders are in the way. That extra player option is what we are missing imho.

I'm all for stretching the defence....but we are literally taking it too far when in an offensive position. Great for options when coming from deep....but the wing backs need to become that fourth offensive option to pass to when in the final third. At the moment we aren't doing that.

Spot on regarding Wade. IMO he brought a skillful and experienced attacking dimension to the team. And even though Pack kept him out of the team during the second part of last season I felt that despite our great form the midfield had lost its way a bit. He also brought the best out of Korey. They complimented each other perfectly. We have no one atm who can quickly turn defense into attack through the middle. Bobby Reid has shown glimpses, but he doesn't have the strength, stamina and obviously experience to back up his skill, so often fades quite quickly. No doubt the manager is looking, but not an easy fix. We should have registered Wade for one more season, even if he was going to be sat on the bench a lot of the time, IMO.

32 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Spot on regarding Wade. IMO he brought a skillful and experienced attacking dimension to the team. And even though Pack kept him out of the team during the second part of last season I felt that despite our great form the midfield had lost its way a bit. He also brought the best out of Korey. They complimented each other perfectly. We have no one atm who can quickly turn defense into attack through the middle. Bobby Reid has shown glimpses, but he doesn't have the strength, stamina and obviously experience to back up his skill, so often fades quite quickly. No doubt the manager is looking, but not an easy fix. We should have registered Wade for one more season, even if he was going to be sat on the bench a lot of the time, IMO.

Yes FR... lack of experience at this level and above is definitely a problem imho. It's one of the reasons Wilbs has been over used....to give that much needed experience.

Baker has played at a higher level and has given some calming influence at the back....even if he has a habit of getting booked.

We miss it in midfield....most definitely.

Yes.

I think this season has a little SoDs final season about it, players in the top scorers list (jet and baldock) but struggling near the foot of the table.

Step up real quality on loan in the form of our U21 manager and things rapidly changed with more or less the same formation and playing staff. (not knocking the SC contribution either)

Now I'm not comparing the style of football to those days, all i'll say is that an average player will bask in the glow of a great player next to him. We see it all the time in successful teams players being 'carried' by the team who then go on to do poorly in less successful teams. Can our midfield do a job in the championship as individuals? Most likely yes they are all championship quality players but combined are they a championship midfield? That's the real question.

We have for a long time lacked a goal scorer from midfield which is vital to relieve pressure on the strikers and draw defenders. I liked Skuse as a player in midfield  but for the life of me could not understand why he was not seemingly encouraged to be on the score sheet. The present incumbents are of the same mould. I thought when we signed Freeman that that was one of his strengths but this is certainly missing at the moment. Korey though a great player should be able to get on the score sheet more often also. They should all be more capable of attempting and hitting the target more often.

20 hours ago, spudski said:

I agree, there starting positions in that stage of play are too wide, and their full back doesn't need to worry about them.  They need to be in 20 yards....they can start to go wide again if the ball comes inside to create width.

However, it isn't all of the time....take Willams goal v Brighton, and against Wolves when he got put in by Agard, but chipped across to Kodj, instead of going for goal.

On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2015‎ ‎15‎:‎29‎:‎20, Kodjia said:

Who is out there that we can get on loan or who is available in Jan? Personally, I would give Reid another run in the side as he has impressed every time he has played.

He's already at the club in my opinion.     Cox. He had movement, control, desire and the ability to create space and chances when he came off the bench against Fulham. Played in Freemans role behind the two main strikers would be a good position for him, based on that short performance. He'd definitely pop up with a few goals as well with his pedigree.

48 minutes ago, Rich said:

He's already at the club in my opinion.     Cox. He had movement, control, desire and the ability to create space and chances when he came off the bench against Fulham. Played in Freemans role behind the two main strikers would be a good position for him, based on that short performance. He'd definitely pop up with a few goals as well with his pedigree.

Whilst I'm not disagreeing with you, he could be good there, I find Cox's perceived 'pedigree' a bit odd. 30 goals in 180 games above league one would suggest otherwise.

We should have signed Joe Cole, he's apparently asked Aston Villa to rip up his contract so he can sign for Coventry for free ! People who think footballers are only in it for the money have no idea. A former England international willing to play in League One and tear up his contract in order to do so, shows the right type of experienced leaders are out there and not looking for one last pay day.

18 minutes ago, cottsciderarmy said:

We should have signed Joe Cole, he's apparently asked Aston Villa to rip up his contract so he can sign for Coventry for free ! People who think footballers are only in it for the money have no idea. A former England international willing to play in League One and tear up his contract in order to do so, shows the right type of experienced leaders are out there and not looking for one last pay day.

Got his eye in for the manager's job .

Said from the first few games that our Midfield is far too naive and weak. It's Sad to say but from what Freeman has shown this season he isn't up to it at this level and Pack has been inconsistent. Korey Smith has definitely made the step up however and is rightly our Captain.
2 Midfielders needed I think.

Archived