IGNORED

Paris attacks news coverage (MERGED)

The Batman

21 minutes ago, Big Brother said:

Shouldn't you two get a room ... I mean start a thread about politics - I promise I'll contribute if you do. There's a ton of news around this specific thread topic, and more coming down the pipe, that I'd like to see comment on, but it's getting buried.  

Good lord I agree with BB on something. Not because I feel we need ANOTHER thread on politics, but because this thread is supposed to be about the terrorist attacks in Paris and its descended into petty name calling and insults surrounding topics only loosely associated with the matter at hand. Collis perfectly illustrates my point in the point above, though he's not the only one

6 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Good lord I agree with BB on something. Not because I feel we need ANOTHER thread on politics, but because this thread is supposed to be about the terrorist attacks in Paris and its descended into petty name calling and insults surrounding topics only loosely associated with the matter at hand. Collis perfectly illustrates my point in the point above, though he's not the only one

:) To be fair I did say on my last post - "I don't want to hijack this thread because we have done this to death previously - so last point on this.".

I would say Bigot Brother is also guilty of hijacking this thread with his Islamophobia/political point scoring?

What happened in Paris is wrong and needs reporting but does it need 24hr constant reporting,live feeds and same things over and over again all the time.

Surely this is great publicity for ISIS and why isn't any other news in the world being reported. Just find it frustrating that we are having this rammed down on our throats all the time and we've no option but to watch it.

11 minutes ago, Collis1 said:

:) To be fair I did say on my last post - "I don't want to hijack this thread because we have done this to death previously - so last point on this.".

I would say Bigot Brother is also guilty of hijacking this thread with his Islamophobia/political point scoring?

Hence why I said that you're not the only one and I agree it's also been hijacked by parallel agendas (again, on both sides), another reason why it should move back on topic. It's descended into petty squabbling about things not even really related to Paris or terrorism 

I got into a squabble with someone a couple of pages ago so I'm as guilty as anyone

• Admin
10 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

What happened in Paris is wrong and needs reporting but does it need 24hr constant reporting,live feeds and same things over and over again all the time.

Surely this is great publicity for ISIS and why isn't any other news in the world being reported. Just find it frustrating that we are having this rammed down on our throats all the time and we've no option but to watch it.

Or starting ANOTHER thread on the same topic !

Now merged :thumbsup:

BTW: I do agree with you

12 hours ago, Moloch said:

The alternative to the "shoot to kill" policy is not a "shoot to wound". As you say, the army and police are trained to aim for the"centre mass" (or body) as it is the largest target.

As I understand it, such a policy is not for emergency situations, such as the Paris massacre, but for everyday policing. In the event of an emergency, the police marksmen are already authorised to "neutralise" the danger. The policy of allowing police to shoot on suspicion that someone is a terrorist is what is being suggested. Previously, this has been used in Northern Ireland, during the Troubles, and around the country following the bombings In July 2005.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/nov/17/shoot-to-kill-what-is-the-uks-policy

You my friend have hit the nail squarely on the head, so if you know that and I know that and millions of other people know that, how come that the man the would be king doesn't know that?, it is incredibly embarrassing that labours choice as their leader a man who is vying to become a world leader doesn't know this, the initial stuttering interview that he gave over this issue was not that of a prospective world leader once more I have to say it sounded like the interview of a student union leader.

Heaven forbid that this man did become prime minister because Britain would become a very dangerous place, just take a look at what his useless counterpart has allowed on his watch in France even after Charlie Hebdo.

Send Corbyn over to St Denis to negotiate "come on out I will give you hug and maybe erect a statue in your honour".

13 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Reading that I presume you feel the same about Cameron?, after all, he's decimated the army,navy and police forces of this country.

Cameron is**** Bill and sits in an asylum with 600 other *****, this makes a mockery of all of the cuts that you mention and IMO to make a case for Britain to join the bombing of Syria, he is going to have reverse most of those cuts, in the same way Hollande is attempting to do in France, otherwise I cannot see how he could even consider a vote.

39 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Just find it frustrating that we are having this rammed down on our throats all the time and we've no option but to watch it.

Really? Do you live in some sort of institution where you're tied up with a TV in front of you?

Change the channel or don't watch the news, quite simple. 

13 hours ago, IAmNick said:

It is ironic someone says people disagreeing with you is not ignorance, then the next two posts quoting it are saying people who disagree with it are "incapable of free thought" and "the scum of this country".

As I understand it, Corbyn said he wasn't happy with the shoot to kill policy, and it can be counter productive so security should prevent people firing off weapons in public where they can. He then said "Surely we have to work to try and prevent these things from happening, that has to be the priority"  - makes sense to me and seems quite balanced. I like that I rarely see armed police in this country, and I often find it very unnerving abroad.

He then clarified by saying "I support the use of whatever proportionate and strictly necessary force is required to save life in response to attacks of the kind we saw in Paris."

I certainly don't agree with him over everything but to cause such a fuss over what sound like pretty balanced things to me based off out of context quotes seems rather sad. Makes good headlines and perpetuates the image of him though I guess.

If we behave like animals to rid ourselves of animals (ISIS) that's sad in my opinion, and wherever possible we should strive to uphold the values in our society that these monsters abuse in theirs otherwise we're not really that much better than them. And no, I am not naive enough to think we should walk at them and give them a hug etc. and they'll see the error of their ways. A bullet in their heads would have some satisfaction for sure, but things like a trial etc. is the kind of behaviour that we are trying to protect and show is the more moral/human whatever way of life, which seems a little backhanded if we don't adhere to it ourselves - within reason, of course. I'm not implying you walk at a monster like the people in Paris the other night with a pair of handcuffs and the number of a good lawyer.

Reference the highlighted portion what a pathetic excuse, "Surely we have to work to try and prevent these things from happening, that has to be the priority". Do you and Corbyn believe that that doesn't already and will carry on happening?, 7 plots foiled in the past 12 months one the past 3 weeks. The question was about an 'ongoing atrocity', one where terrorists are already actually killing people. You may find it unnerving abroad as do I but it is safer than having a bobby trying to fend off a terrorist attack with a truncheon.

He clarified **** all, his backroom staff have attempted to extricate him from the brown stuff because they know it makes look weak and unelectable, you can take the gullible route and talk about balance and context all you like, if ever the public needed an illustration of Corbyn being Corbyn and his advisors working in the background, saying "no Jeremy wait till your in power before you can become Corbyn once more", this was that evidence.

Beside Mr Corbyn sat Hilary Benn, shadow foreign secretary, who plainly thinks Mr Corbyn’s endorsement of the Stop the War lobby is barmy.

During his speech Mr Corbyn kept fluffing words and managed to called President Hollande ‘Francoise’. 

He dawdled, losing both his thread and the House. He developed a frog in his throat, like Iain Duncan Smith in the most dog days as Opposition leader.

37 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Heaven forbid that this man did become prime minister because Britain would become a very dangerous place, just take a look at what his useless counterpart has allowed on his watch in France even after Charlie Hebdo.

I thought France significantly stepped security up after the Hebdo/kosher supermarket attacks?

The news coming out this morning that the planners and perpetrators of Friday's attacks were in fact in Brussels/Paris all along seems to be an intelligence failure. Apparently the French intelligence services were looking for them all over Europe and had assumed they must be in Syria, when in fact they were in a safe-house in Saint Denis.

I suppose the buck stops with Hollande as it were but it goes to show the huge problem we face of tracking these would-be terrorists. The some 350 radicalised Muslims who've been to Syria and come back to the UK are not all under surveillance as we do not have the resources (think I already mentioned this).

37 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I thought France significantly stepped security up after the Hebdo/kosher supermarket attacks?

The news coming out this morning that the planners and perpetrators of Friday's attacks were in fact in Brussels/Paris all along seems to be an intelligence failure. Apparently the French intelligence services were looking for them all over Europe and had assumed they must be in Syria, when in fact they were in a safe-house in Saint Denis.

I suppose the buck stops with Hollande as it were but it goes to show the huge problem we face of tracking these would-be terrorists. The some 350 radicalised Muslims who've been to Syria and come back to the UK are not all under surveillance as we do not have the resources (think I already mentioned this).

Earlier this year post Hebdo, the French police had a mass demonstration reference all of the cuts to the police service and now Hollande has announced 15,000 more police. This says it all.

http://www.english.rfi.fr/general/20151014-french-police-sullen-and-angry-government-moves-repair-rift-authority

I saw the interview last night from a French police union official describing what his men faced in the Bataclan siege, it was harrowing.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34852948

PS:- Apparently France has some 11,500 'people on interest' on what is known as S notices, Sarkozi claims if elected, he will electronically tag them all. it's impossible to watch all of them all, the problem seems to me to be Belgium's unbelievably lax attitude to these dangerous people and France struggling to cope because of cutbacks and a weak clueless president hoping he could survive without until the next election without another atrocity and claim 'the economy is improving and France is safer'.

50 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

With Jeremy Cordyn attending last nights England v France game, I was waiting for the Sun or Mail's front page today.

im genuinely astounded that it wasn't .........,

Evil communist traitor soldier hater doesnt sing la marsaillaise loud enough to hear on TV.

At least be honest Bill disappointed not astounded.

Even labour voters in his constituency believe him to be wrong over this, it was a total faux pas and one voters will not forget.

Blame the press/media all that you want, but if in answer to a question about shoot to kill in an 'ongoing terrorist atrocity' is the one Corbyn stutteringly gave, he is the master of his own downfall and adds further credence to the question of how safe will the UK be under a labour/Corbyn led government and I shudder to imagine.

1 hour ago, dezgimed said:

Really? Do you live in some sort of institution where you're tied up with a TV in front of you?

Change the channel or don't watch the news, quite simple. 

I do change the channel last night itv had 45 mins solid of news with about 2 mins of other news same as BBC and sky.

BBC website every day including today a live text feed of what's happening in France, do we really want all the same stuff constantly repeated and repeated.

Yesterday was quite bad weather only a passing mention on it no mention of other stuff in the world at all. Itv were running out of stuff to do so decided to do a what is the future feature for France.

What happened is news but let's not forget there's a whole world out there apart from just France.

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

At least be honest Bill disappointed not astounded.

Even labour voters in his constituency believe him to be wrong over this, it was a total faux pas and one voters will not forget.

Blame the press/media all that you want, but if in answer to a question about shoot to kill in an 'ongoing terrorist atrocity' is the one Corbyn stutteringly gave, he is the master of his own downfall and adds further credence to the question of how safe will the UK be under a labour/Corbyn led government and I shudder to imagine.

And now Corbyn has appointed Red Ken Livingstone to oversee Labour's defence review.

As the saying goes "give somebody enough rope ........."

(Pretty sure we all know the rest of it).

24 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

And now Corbyn has appointed Red Ken Livingstone to oversee Labour's defence review.

As the saying goes "give somebody enough rope ........."

(Pretty sure we all know the rest of it).

Who subsequently mocked a Labour MP over their past issues with depression.

Such a classy guy.

1 hour ago, Super said:

How long before a vote of no confidence in Corbyn? He is at total odds with the majority of the Labour party, let alone the general public! Appointing Livingstone is just another nail in the coffin

it is obvious from the pathetic minimal attempts to defend Corbyn on this thread even member’s of Corbyn’s glee club must privately be thinking OMG perhaps Cameron was correct Corbyn is a threat to Britain’s security?.

But here is a question for the Corbynista’s, would either leader be correct not to allow free vote on whether Britain should join in the bombing of Syria?.

To me it’s quite simple a free vote on this matter should be the cornerstone of British democracy. Especially given 58% of the public support these strikes and only 22% oppose them, remember democracy Mr Corbyn.

1 hour ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Who subsequently mocked a Labour MP over their past issues with depression.

Such a classy guy.

is it any surprise, he has a convicted arsonist, a convicted football hooligan, a press officer who believes rioting to be ok and a policy advisor (currently suspended but with the full support of Corbyn) who during the general election told labour voters to vote for the class war candidate instead of the grand daughter of Tony Benn the labour candidate and now this yesterdays sad act who immediately makes a callous remark like he did, somebody who we know is not immune to making public antisemitic remarks.

is Derek Hatton still around?.

Pirates and cutthroats or the gasheads of politics.

1 hour ago, Super said:

How long before a vote of no confidence in Corbyn? He is at total odds with the majority of the Labour party, let alone the general public! Appointing Livingstone is just another nail in the coffin

He may be at odds with 'some' of the Labour Party, but a lot of the 15 million people who didn't vote at the last election feel they finally have someone to vote for.

interestingly Labour went up 3% in the last opinion poll I saw!

1 minute ago, Portland Bill said:

He may be at odds with 'some' of the Labour Party, but a lot of the 15 million people who didn't vote at the last election feel they finally have someone to vote for.

interestingly Labour went up 3% in the last opinion poll I saw!

Well Bill lets see the next opinion poll shall we and as for Mr Livingstone according to this he is already at odds with his great leader. of course we all know, sorry Collis knows how biased the BBC are.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-34853430

1 minute ago, chipdawg said:

If everyone wants to discuss how much they dislike Jeremy Corbyn, there is actually a whole thread for it which can be found here: http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/171266-jeremy-corbyn/&page=17#comment-2381020

No need to thank me

Well I will thank you, however we are discussing Corbyn's remarks that are pertinent to this thread.

4 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Well I will thank you, however we are discussing Corbyn's remarks that are pertinent to this thread.

No you're not. You might have started off doing so about 3 pages ago but most recently you've been discussing Ken Livingstones appointment to the co-chair of the Labour defence review and issues associated thusly

7 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

No you're not. You might have started off doing so about 3 pages ago but most recently you've been discussing Ken Livingstones appointment to the co-chair of the Labour defence review and issues associated thusly

Yes 2 hours ago and probably still pertinent IMO to show the sort of people Corbyn is bringing into his team, to highlight how Corbyn and his team are going to be a threat to security in UK if ever elected.

On 13 novembre 2015 23:27:57, RedM said:

Football at the national stadium when the French President was in attendance, a Cambodian restaurant and a theatre/concert hall were the targets. No obvious link.

If you look on the map here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34814203 the sites are in an almost perfect vertical line. Were they really random, dunno what it means though. 

Apparently the 'link' was that people were doing decadent things like watching live music ,football or eating and drinking in restaurants.

All these things would be banned under an ISIS Califate .

Archived