IGNORED

Paris attacks news coverage (MERGED)

The Batman

5 minutes ago, TRL said:

I fear if many more of these attacks happen.... And they will. Citizens of countries all over Europe will turn on all those they think are Muslim. I can see carnage ensuing as the people try to force hidden terrorist from there countries by force. It will be too late for governments to take control... Not that I think they can control this situation

Which TRL is exactly the outcome Isis is trying to create.

21 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

it's an easy target because France admits to being aware of between 4 to 6 million illegal immigrants being at large in France but the educated view is more like 8 to 12 million, it is the product of governments burying their heads in the sand and believing that keeping a partial lid on what is happening is good enough, Britain beware.

The one good thing is the French couldn't give a tuppenny **** about the European court of human rights and many of it's dangerous decisions that good old Britain misguidedly adhere to and also I suspect the French military and police will once the dust has settled on this tragedy will be very active especially in the Northern Paris ghettos where they know many illegals live and there will be many, many forced repatriations. One thing for sure is when stung into action the French do not care about human rights or liberal condemnation to defend it's people.

Not blaming Merkel for this but by god what has she done?.

I think it's likely that the attackers were the French-born children of immigrants from French colonies in Africa. The current - actually less than at other times in the past - migrant inflow is unlikely to be directly connected.

For Europe,  the genie is already out the bottle,  in a process that began in the 1950s.

6 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

All very laudable so what do you suggest?.

Who knows, but does anyone? I also want to suggest that perhaps no retaliation at all could work as I believe it is our reaction they are after. But of course this is completely different to telling a child to ignore a bully, there are lives on the line.

5 minutes ago, TRL said:

I fear if many more of these attacks happen.... And they will. Citizens of countries all over Europe will turn on all those they think are Muslim. I can see carnage ensuing as the people try to force hidden terrorist from there countries by force. It will be too late for governments to take control... Not that I think they can control this situation

Again we know what religious background these people are from and it will be up to those "moderates" of the same faith that will have to give these people up from within their community, so far, so little.

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think it's likely that the attackers were the French-born children of immigrants from French colonies in Africa. The current - actually less than at other times in the past - migrant inflow is unlikely to be directly connected.

For Europe,  the genie is already out the bottle,  in a process that began in the 1950s.

I never suggested that was the case, the reason I mentioned it is because, it is going to exacerbate the situation and give angry right wing groups a target for their anger and probably violence, which is exactly what Isis wants and expects from atrocities such as this.

1 minute ago, screech said:

Again we know what religious background these people are from and it will be up to those "morderates" of the same faith that will have to give these people up from within their community, so far, so little.

I think that is all well and good.  But when Isis kill fellow Muslims do you really think that will work. No I think soon there is going to be a huge kick back against all Muslims in Europe. Rightly or wrongly it will happen then the refugee influx will become a outflux (if there is such a word) its just a matter of time

5 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Who knows, but does anyone? I also want to suggest that perhaps no retaliation at all could work as I believe it is our reaction they are after. But of course this is completely different to telling a child to ignore a bully, there are lives on the line.

But it is the same as telling a child "to stand up to a bully", otherwise that bully just keeps coming back, when he can see / smell fear.

4 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

There is no other response possible, Isis are not part of the UN, there is nobody to negotiate with Isis do not want to negotiate they want to take over the world, this isn't even about religion, they are just blood thirsty animals, lets send some of the worlds liberals who believe that we need to talk/negotiate with these people and see what difference that makes.

It's not often the news brings me to tears, I've become hardened to it over the years. But the tears flowed this morning.

One of my biggest regrets in life is not being blessed with children, but events like this make me question that. I just can't see an end to this. 

The West's relentless and ruthless pursuit of world resources and profits, combined with brainwashed religious fanatics. Can anyone see either of these making concessions?

My sister in law lives in Paris, and is usually out on the town on the weekend. Thankfully she stayed in last night, but could hear explosions from her apartment.

Stay safe everyone.

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Absolutely shocking scenes. Thoughts with all Parisians effected by this. Chilling to think how much death and destruction 8 people can cause.

Will be interesting to see if this turns out to be an intelligence failure or a completely unforeseeable attack. Not sure which would be worse...

Unfortunately intelligence agency's cannot protect all of the time. But I would suggest there may have been a balls up somewhere if reports suggesting on of the terrorists posted what would happen nearly a year ago on a forum.

When stats rolled out to say only 1% of Muslims are radicalised (it could be more it could be less) it puts this situation in context. 8 people did this. There are a potential 10 million more to replace them and it grows every day.. Now that is a scary thought

I heard on the radio earlier that President Hollande has referred to last night as an `act of war` by Islamic State. In the always carefully worded responses and language used by politicians when referring to events like this that is an extremely strong thing to say in diplomatic terms and has implications far deeper than the words used. I think he is sending out the message to other western leaders that the game is about to change.

I think that boots on the ground will now follow - whether the UK will be involved is another matter but really don`t see how we can avoid it sadly;

Just now, The Gasbuster said:

But it is the same as telling a child "to stand up to a bully", otherwise that bully just keeps coming back, when he can see / smell fear.

As someone who works with children there are two kinds of Bully. There is the bully who picks of someone to vent their own emotions. This bully should be stood up to. There are also bullies who pick on children to provoke a "funny" reaction for their amusement. If the bullied child stopped reacting, the bullying would stop. 

This begs the question of what are ISIS trying to achieve? Are they killing us purely because we are Westerners and deserve to die, or are they trying to get a reaction from us? They know that with every death, Europeans will start to turn more and more on Muslims in Europe, who will in turn start to radicalise and it will get worse.

I don't really know what my opinion is tbh, I see pros and cons in both solutions. However we (NATO and Russia) have not tried doing nothing yet. It might make it better, or a whole lot worse. Almost might as well toss a coin.

One of the big issues for France,  which was raised after the Charlie Hebdo attacks,  is how are automatic weapons appearing in a country you cannot legally buy them?

It appears that the Hebdo attackers aquired their Kalashnikovs from a middle-man who had bought them legally in Slovakia. 

Slovakia has a US style lack of arms control. 

What is the point of a "common market"  when it doesn't impose a common policy on this and allows dangerous weapons to be taken across open borders. 

3 minutes ago, TRL said:

Unfortunately intelligence agency's cannot protect all of the time. But I would suggest there may have been a balls up somewhere if reports suggesting on of the terrorists posted what would happen nearly a year ago on a forum.

When stats rolled out to say only 1% of Muslims are radicalised (it could be more it could be less) it puts this situation in context. 8 people did this. There are a potential 10 million more to replace them and it grows every day.. Now that is a scary thought

Thing is the French are presumably already on high alert following the Hebdo/kosher supermarket attacks in January. We then had the train attack that was prevented by a couple of Yanks in August. Yet this has been allowed to happen. I agree with Red Robbo that it smacks of homegrown terrorists that went under-the-radar and if that turns out to be the case then I agree with @Esmond Million's Bung that the French government will go into immigrant enclaves in Paris and it will not be pretty.

6 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

There is no other response possible, Isis are not part of the UN, there is nobody to negotiate with Isis do not want to negotiate they want to take over the world, this isn't even about religion, they are just blood thirsty animals, lets send some of the worlds liberals who believe that we need to talk/negotiate with these people and see what difference that makes.

ISIS are a very small group with a lot of power. Ruling by fear with their relatively small numbers like the Gestapo did. Perhaps if we stop retaliating, their numbers will fall off as their whole recruitment basis is on us attacking them. My head hurts as I really don't know what to think tbh.

1 minute ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

ISIS are a very small group with a lot of power. Ruling by fear with their relatively small numbers like the Gestapo did. Perhaps if we stop retaliating, their numbers will fall off as their whole recruitment basis is on us attacking them. My head hurts as I really don't know what to think tbh.

Same here:grr:

12 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Dream on mate, they are fanatics just like the Gestapo and there is only one way to stop them, sadly.

16 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Thing is the French are presumably already on high alert following the Hebdo/kosher supermarket attacks in January. We then had the train attack that was prevented by a couple of Yanks in August. Yet this has been allowed to happen. I agree with Red Robbo that it smacks of homegrown terrorists that went under-the-radar and if that turns out to be the case then I agree with @Esmond Million's Bung that the French government will go into immigrant enclaves in Paris and it will not be pretty.

and not a human rights lawyer in sight.

32 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

One of the big issues for France,  which was raised after the Charlie Hebdo attacks,  is how are automatic weapons appearing in a country you cannot legally buy them?

It appears that the Hebdo attackers aquired their Kalashnikovs from a middle-man who had bought them legally in Slovakia. 

Slovakia has a US style lack of arms control. 

What is the point of a "common market"  when it doesn't impose a common policy on this and allows dangerous weapons to be taken across open borders. 

You maybe correct about automatic assault rifles, but I have to say the French laws on firearms per se beggars belief.

I know somebody who went to a French doctor suffering with deep depression and the doctor said after prescribing him (also a man with a drink problem) strong anti depressants "you should take up a hobby" to which he replied "funnily enough I want to take up clay pigeon shooting and need you to sign this form I have in my pocket, so as I can purchase a shotgun and cartridges".

The only police involvement is to check the safe storage, the amount of weapons and cartridges are unlimited. He later showed me a 500 page catalogue and told me, I can with the doctors signature and the police having checked my storage security, legally buy/own anything from page 25 to Page 150, I couldn't believe my eyes, I know my way around firearms and there were all sorts of shotguns, rifles and handguns some automatic some semi automatic, again unlimited weapons and ammunition.

3 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

You maybe correct about automatic assault rifles, but I have to say the French laws on firearms per se beggars belief.

I know somebody who went to a French doctor suffering with deep depression and the doctor said after prescribing him (also a man with a drink problem) strong anti depressants "you should take up a hobby" to which he replied "funnily enough I want to take up clay pigeon shooting and need you to sign this form I have in my pocket, so as I can purchase a shotgun and cartridges".

The only police involvement is to check the safe storage, the amount of weapons and cartridges are unlimited. He later showed me a 500 page catalogue and told me, I can with the doctors signature and the police having checked my storage security, legally buy/own anything from page 25 to Page 150, I couldn't believe my eyes, I know my way around firearms and there were all sorts of shotguns, rifles and handguns some automatic some semi automatic, again unlimited weapons and ammunition.

There's definitely more guns about there. Thing is, eight guys with shotguns are not going to take out 127. innocents. 

We should be pressing for an EU-wide ban on assault rifles.

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

There's definitely more guns about there. Thing is, eight guys with shotguns are not going to take out 127. innocents. 

We should be pressing for an EU-wide ban on assault rifles.

of course but 8 guys with legally owned multiple automatic/semi automatic hand guns and rifles (not shotguns) could quite easily take out 127 innocents, shotguns were only part of that catalogue.

It's being reported that a Syrian passport has been found on one of the suicide bombers.

Firstly you can't travel on a Syrian passport in Europe, secondly how is it still in one piece after being blown up? Is it just me who think's there is something wrong with this?

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

of course but 8 guys with legally owned multiple automatic/semi automatic hand guns and rifles (not shotguns) could quite easily take out 127 innocents, shotguns were only part of that catalogue.

I may be wrong,  Es. But I don't think you can legally own an automatic rifle in France?

2 minutes ago, Selred said:

It's being reported that a Syrian passport has been found on one of the suicide bombers.

Firstly you can't travel on a Syrian passport in Europe, secondly how is it still in one piece after being blown up? Is it just me who think's there is something wrong with this?

Yes and it's the highlighted very first part of your very first sentence.

4 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

They're wasting their time teaching tolerance in schools. Churches and religious buildings is where it's needed. 

Anyone who puts their religion above humanity itself - even if only in word - is already part of a slippery slope. And I've met many. 

What a generalisation that is

Archived