IGNORED

Robin badge

Project Nibor

Tinmans love child an opinion is that the Robin there stands out not because it is naff, but because it is well designed, it conforms to professional norms. It is the type of thing graphic facilitators and scribes draw to get messages across.

I'm all for a simple, stand out, unique badge which brings together what the club is all about ... Good. .

13 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Tinmans love child an opinion is that the Robin there stands out not because it is naff, but because it is well designed, it conforms to professional norms. It is the type of thing graphic facilitators and scribes draw to get messages across.

I'm all for a simple, stand out, unique badge which brings together what the club is all about ... Good. .

Another opinion is it isn't well designed and looks naff, whether it stands out or not. 

Standing out isn't the only criteria for design, you can have good and bad designs which stand out as well as each other so my point is why stick with a bad naff looking design just because it stands out?  Why not design a new modern version which stands out as well but doesn't look like it was drawn by a 6 year old?

I thought this discussion has gone on many times in the past, and some of the more agreeable decisions was to maybe put the coat of arms on the home kit, and the robin on the away kit?

Alternatively, have both logos on the left and right breast respectively, or have one logo on the back of the collar and the other remain on the left breast.

I agree with cowshed. I keep hearing that the 1970s-80s badge is naff and looks like a child has drawn it. To me it is brilliant. It is simplistic and therefore gets the message across effectively. It is the badge I always remember. It sticks in the mind. It is also far more modern in that it incorporates a well loved British bird, a football and a bridge that has been synonymous with Bristol since its completion in 1864...and is still standing.

The crest of Bristol incorporates a castle, of which little still exists even when we were formed in 1894 that was the case too, a sailing ship that was superseded by steam more than 50 years before our formation, a river that was so important to Bristol that the part that runs through the centre...and therefore near the castle ruins...was covered over in 1938 and is thus out of sight, and two unicorns that the last time a sane Bristolian was recorded to having thought existed was in about 1379! What the heck has any of that to do with modern day Bristol or our football club?

45 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Another opinion is it isn't well designed and looks naff, whether it stands out or not. 

Standing out isn't the only criteria for design, you can have good and bad designs which stand out as well as each other so my point is why stick with a bad naff looking design just because it stands out?  Why not design a new modern version which stands out as well but doesn't look like it was drawn by a 6 year old?

With you on this fella. Good example of memorable but tacky - the london 2012 mascots. Unique with their Cyclops-robot design, but at the end of the day they just looked so incredibly naff. Same with the 70s robin. A decent enough concept, but just plain naff.

Personally I thought the London 2012 logo looked like it involved fellatio. A case of Professional, but not so good.

Somebody on here wheeled out the big gun and a "Anybody who knows football", well anybody who knows football knows Bristol City are the Robins and will recognise the Robin and Suspension bridge instantly. The design child like, or in my case a not worked very effectively something fans have used and re-worked.

2 hours ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

I did like the angry robin that appeared a few seasons back, but seems to have changed on a few designs i have seen recently

DSC00451.jpg

One of the latest. Also in black sticker / flag form in England and the Netherlands.

The Angry Robin / Ernie - Always left wing down. Some designs are more detailed, but the idea was to keep it simple so it could be easily reproduced by children and older fans. The more detail a design has the harder it is for fans to diy, or use manufacturers. Detail can also add significant cost.

Years ago Steve Lansdwon stated the Robin was not aggressive enough ... Hence the Angry Robin. 

4 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Which one looks the most amateurish?  Also the Robin and Suspension Bridge.  I've no problem going for the Robin and bridge in a badge but this design is very poor quality and stands out for those reasons as much as its uniqueness 

Disagree, I don't think it could be improved upon.

Ahead of it's time if anything.

9 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Thats the one i like - but noticed another design on a flag in the south stand recently - not sure where that other one originated from

CMdx3s0WIAAoXm3.jpg

That? 

What is Angrobinclothing.com ... Others may know.

5 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Personally I'm very proud of the Robin/Bridge badge, but feel absolutely nothing for the Crest.

I've still got a white away shirt bought in the First Division days and to me this will always be the club badge.

If it was possible for fans to produce the old Robin badge and sell it I'd buy several and happily replace the crest on my City hats etc.

I assume this would be ruled out by the club retaining copyright though, although goodness knows why if they don't intend to use it. 

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

If it was possible for fans to produce the old Robin badge and sell it I'd buy several and happily replace the crest on my City hats etc.

I assume this would be ruled out by the club retaining copyright though, although goodness knows why if they don't intend to use it. 

It is possible. 600 badges were done by fans. Easily sold out and used to fund a project. These lads are doing similar -  http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/173403-section-82-qpr-at-home-small-display/

3 minutes ago, WTMS said:

It is possible. 600 badges were done by fans. Easily sold out and used to fund a project. These lads are doing similar -  http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/173403-section-82-qpr-at-home-small-display/

I hope they'll advertise the next batch on here.

If they're the 1970's badge, and reasonable quality, I'll definitely be up for buying a few.

18 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Personally I'm very proud of the Robin/Bridge badge, but feel absolutely nothing for the Crest.

I've still got a white away shirt bought in the First Division days and to me this will always be the club badge.

Noggers - I bought a bobble hat from www.vintagevoyuers.com not so long back, it's an old fashioned badge on there, loved it. Well worth £19 of your hard earned cash, I'll attempt to upload a photo on here. There's also a City 80s style sun hat that I'll be getting for the summer. Not the best website to manoeuvre around on, but worth a look. And do it from home, I googled the company name, you can imagine what came up second in my search......!!

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

Noggers - I bought a bobble hat from www.vintagevoyuers.com not so long back, it's an old fashioned badge on there, loved it. Well worth £19 of your hard earned cash, I'll attempt to upload a photo on here. There's also a City 80s style sun hat that I'll be getting for the summer. Not the best website to manoeuvre around on, but worth a look. And do it from home, I googled the company name, you can imagine what came up second in my search......!!

Cheers Woodsy, I'll have a gander. I may well have an 80's style sun hat up in the loft, the one I wore to the first Freight Rover.

I've got  plenty of City bobble hats including my favourite that my late Mum knitted for me; I'd love to get the old Robin badge to put on it. 

image.jpg.49a58c97be655995fb250f141d8ca9

I put our new version of a crest badge up, the one the club announced which will be the new version of the crest badge. I thought it would be smart and professionally looking but it is just as bad as the one before or even worse. 

Out of the football league I do like Brentfords design, it stands out. looking-for-volunteer-scouts277-269047.j

3 hours ago, WTMS said:

CMdx3s0WIAAoXm3.jpg

@WTMS that's the one

don't get me wrong its a nice flag, and no offence to the two lads in the picture, but am curious when there was already a robin being used in stickers flags etc why another was designed

assume that there is no connection with the website and the raising money for banners etc  @BCFCS82

looks like a talented artist could be great to get everyone working together

14 hours ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

@WTMS that's the one

don't get me wrong its a nice flag, and no offence to the two lads in the picture, but am curious when there was already a robin being used in stickers flags etc why another was designed

assume that there is no connection with the website and the raising money for banners etc  @BCFCS82

looks like a talented artist could be great to get everyone working together

An idea was that the Angry Robin would evolve as others took part e.g The Eastend mural v boards v Angry Robin canvasses were all done by different artists. The style and designs did alter.

Assume that there is no connection with the website and the raising money for banners etc ... It does not appear to be the case.

To get everyone working together  ... An aim that is consistently put in front of Bristol Sport. At this point while this can be done in the Atyeo - http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/173403-section-82-qpr-at-home-small-display/#comment-2404091 Fans cannot put flags up in the Dolman stand including the earlier one pictured.

On 12/15/2015 at 15:03, WTMS said:

CMdx3s0WIAAoXm3.jpg

That? 

What is Angrobinclothing.com ... Others may know.

Do you think this robin design on the flag needs its right wing pointing to the top corner. Or do you think it is okay as it is? Just an idea for the lads to think about. 

Archived