IGNORED

Robin badge

Project Nibor

17 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Has there been a song about a robin badge? Maybe about our nickname, but that's not the same thing. If I'm wrong fair enough, but short of a regular song about the old badge it's a largely moot point. Given the official badge is the crest, fan groups are arguably more likely to use something else to be seen as unofficial.

Regardless, what you're saying is all circumstancial (the point I was getting at) because I don't see anything about no one being bothered if the crest went?

Not sure why you are being so difficult mate. I'm all for debate but your reply appears to be deliberately argumentative for the sake of it.

Of course no-one would sing a song about a robin badge, that would be almost as ridiculous as asking the question. But fans have sung songs about robins and wear robin badges. They don't sing about the coat of arms and don't wear coat of arms badges.

Regarding your last sentence, I gave you the evidence you required in my previous post and clearly everyone on this thread in favour of the robin would be bothered if it went.

1 minute ago, WTMS said:

The above would not be confused with anybody else.

The point being made was if the Crest was widely popular the Robin in an Angry form  or otherwise would fade away. The Robins appeal from Scrumpy to Erns stretches across ages and types of fans. Thousands of items featuring Robins get sold by fans because of the Crest's lack of appeal. Is that a reason to change the crest? No, but it is a reason to look at what Bristol Sport and City do not sell. There is a market for the Robin.

Highlighting others interesting. work,.

It would not be confused with anyone else, but that's not what I said. I'd question how relevant it is to just us, as I said.

Of course badges seen as seperate from the establishment will do well. To say they'd fade away is rubbish, they've got an important place. I agree that merchandise could be a good thing, but if anything it could dilute it a bit with it being orchestrated by the club. I dunno. Just my thought.

19 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

It would not be confused with anyone else, but that's not what I said. I'd question how relevant it is to just us, as I said.

Of course badges seen as seperate from the establishment will do well. To say they'd fade away is rubbish, they've got an important place. I agree that merchandise could be a good thing, but if anything it could dilute it a bit with it being orchestrated by the club. I dunno. Just my thought.

The Robin is wholly relevant to a section of Bristol City fans.

Of course badges seen as seperate from the establishment will do well ... That is not the reason they do well. It is because the Crest is difficult to sell due to its popularity amongst other limitations..

To say they'd fade away is rubbish ...  It is not rubbish. If the Crest was more popular the idea of using an alternative in 2007 - 08 would not have appeared as it would have been pointless.

16 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Not sure why you are being so difficult mate. I'm all for debate but your reply appears to be deliberately argumentative for the sake of it.

Of course no-one would sing a song about a robin badge, that would be almost as ridiculous as asking the question. But fans have sung songs about robins and wear robin badges. They don't sing about the coat of arms and don't wear coat of arms badges.

Regarding your last sentence, I gave you the evidence you required in my previous post and clearly everyone on this thread in favour of the robin would be bothered if it went.

Not trying to be difficult, I just don't think your argument stands up. Singing a song about robins doesn't stop people caring about the crest. Yes some people have said they would like the robin back, but that's not what you said and still doesn't quantify 'a majority of fans' not caring if the crest went. Is there some sort of point that makes a credible argument that this is a fact? I'm yet to see one.

36 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Not trying to be difficult, I just don't think your argument stands up. Singing a song about robins doesn't stop people caring about the crest. Yes some people have said they would like the robin back, but that's not what you said and still doesn't quantify 'a majority of fans' not caring if the crest went. Is there some sort of point that makes a credible argument that this is a fact? I'm yet to see one.

I done a survey in work today and it came back 100% in favour of bringing back the Robin,  (2 of us) personally I have zero emotional ties to the coat of arms and I'd imagine that no one outside of Bristol could actually relate it to our fair city, whereas I still have wonderful memories from many decades ago of my mother singing the red red robin to me while trying to get me off to sleep! 

I prefer the crest and I was glad when they changed it back from the Robin, there was always something that just didn't seem right about the Robin IMO (could be the prefect analysis of us).

I think its good as it is and not worth changing. Can we not just setup a poll on here to gather a mini opinion of the fans? Something along the lines of:

Should the club change its current badge?

• Yes - Back to a Robin
  • Yes - But not back to the Robin
  • No - Keep the Crest
  • Don't mind, happy to go with the crowd.

Even with my preference for the crest I would say if the Robin comes out on top or change but not the Robin then it may be worth BS having a look at (maybe they could combine all the clubs to have the same badge, that would be a strong brand - ok only joking, but there is the option to open up Pandora's box here as well).

The thing is Pezo, I much preferred Pandora's Box when Pericles redesigned it in 433 BC to incorporate the newly opened Parthenon on the cover with a couple of Medes being pushed off to their deaths. Trouble was when the Spartans were triumphant in 404 BC they went back to the original design which didn't include anything to do with Athens and simply illustrated a couple of events from Sappho's works on Lesbos. I lost all interest in Pandora's box thereafter and couldn't give a fig if it was opened or not.

I think the problem with this debate is that the old Robin badge looks naff, the old fashioned football, the cartoon Robin etc etc doesn't really sell the concept.  If the club/supporters club got a professional company/person to design a more modern version to compare with the current crest then I think more fans would be in favour, but comparing the 40 plus year old Robin badge with the current crest for me is like comparing a mobile phone from the 80's with an iPhone 6!  Remember 20 odd years have gone by with the current crest and a whole new generation of fans have no association with the Robin

50 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I think the problem with this debate is that the old Robin badge looks naff, the old fashioned football, the cartoon Robin etc etc doesn't really sell the concept.  If the club/supporters club got a professional company/person to design a more modern version to compare with the current crest then I think more fans would be in favour, but comparing the 40 plus year old Robin badge with the current crest for me is like comparing a mobile phone from the 80's with an iPhone 6!  Remember 20 odd years have gone by with the current crest and a whole new generation of fans have no association with the Robin

Interesting thoughts...

Many think the 'modern crest' we have looks like a child has drawn it. Instead of the traditional 'heraldic' detailed original design.

Designed to make keep production costs down....it looks like it too.

Personally I prefer the 70's Robin badge, as to me it looks timeless and from a distance, distinctive.

Ours at the moment, seen from a distance, could be many football Clubs.

I think tradition is very important for football clubs...

26 minutes ago, spudski said:

Interesting thoughts...

Many think the 'modern crest' we have looks like a child has drawn it. Instead of the traditional 'heraldic' detailed original design.

Designed to make keep production costs down....it looks like it too.

Personally I prefer the 70's Robin badge, as to me it looks timeless and from a distance, distinctive.

Ours at the moment, seen from a distance, could be many football Clubs.

I think tradition is very important for football clubs...

It's certainly distinctive but not in a good way, a bit like a mullet haircut!

I'm all for distinctive and I'm all for tradition, and I believe both these things could be brought together in a new badge design.

Okay let's go for something a bit different. What about the golden dragon of the great kingdom of Wessex? Our King, Alfred the Great, this was his banner in battle and of course Bristol was apart of this kingdom. Okay I know he was a saxon but even the celts were foreigners. Let the moaning begin.

500x385.jpg

Something i have noticed about our current badge on the football league show. The design does not stand out from the crowd. There is a glass panel with all the club badges on, I find it hard to spot ours at all unless there is a close up shot. If it was a new version of the robin badge it would stand out a mile and be easily recognisable. Unless we have a dragon design, hint hint.

7 hours ago, Threshing Red said:

Something i have noticed about our current badge on the football league show. The design does not stand out from the crowd. There is a glass panel with all the club badges on, I find it hard to spot ours at all unless there is a close up shot. If it was a new version of the robin badge it would stand out a mile and be easily recognisable. Unless we have a dragon design, hint hint.

image.jpg

9 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Which stands out the most? The Robin and Suspension bridge. The simple use of three colours helps..

Which one looks the most amateurish?  Also the Robin and Suspension Bridge.  I've no problem going for the Robin and bridge in a badge but this design is very poor quality and stands out for those reasons as much as its uniqueness 

23 minutes ago, cynic said:

Edited - not sure what went wrong there...

Its a badge to me, nothing else and, until recently, I couldn't give a toss what badge we use.

But I recently went to a funeral of an in-law relative who was 92 when she died.

She was a City supporter of long standing and at the funeral she requested "when the red red robin" be played as the last song.

Thats changed my mind, there are lots of people (unlike me) where the robin is a symbol of the club and I would now advocate that the robin badge should be worn on the shirt.

Same for my old mans last song,I'd been alright until then,but hearing that song really got to me.

47 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Which one looks the most amateurish?  Also the Robin and Suspension Bridge.  I've no problem going for the Robin and bridge in a badge but this design is very poor quality and stands out for those reasons as much as its uniqueness 

For me, I'm totally supportive of a return to the Robin and suspension bridge being our badge but not simply copying the design of the '70s. Of course it should be updated and modernised...

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

Tinmans love child.

Which one looks the most amateurish?

Putting my work head on. A function of a badge has to be to stand out i.e relay information quickly. So the answer is not the Robin and Suspension Bridge.

You said earlier that the Robin and Bridge stand out, now your saying they are not the answer?  Slightly confused!

Agreed that the badge/logo needs to be unique, stand out, be easily identifiable etc etc and I think the importance of logos in business has gone up and up.  I think we need to use the top people in marketing to come up with a badge befitting of the club, it's heritage and traditions, whether that be robins, bridges, cider whatever....

what I do know is, the old 70's Robin badge stands out for the wrong reasons, and being unique is not a reason to use it again in its current form

Tinmans love child the Crests can be looked upon as amateurish. The Crests fail to stand out. Emblems, Logos, should stand out. That is part of their purpose.

The Robin and Suspension bridge stands out due to its use of three colours. Tabloids and comics also use those three colours e.g Red Tops. The Robin is easily identifiable, stands out and relays information instantly. It does not have to be used in that form, but stating "It is not Professional" is wide of the mark. It is what professionals do all the time in design e.g three colours and simplicity.

Effective club bagdes; Charlton? Derby? Forest? Simple designs and use of two and three colours.

30 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Tinmans love child the Crests can be looked upon as amateurish. The Crests fail to stand out. Emblems, Logos, should stand out. That is part of their purpose.

The Robin and Suspension bridge stands out due to its use of three colours. Tabloids and comics also use those three colours e.g Red Tops. The Robin is easily identifiable, stands out and relays information instantly. It does not have to be used in that form, but stating "It is not Professional" is wide of the mark. It is what professionals do all the time in design e.g three colours and simplicity.

Effective club bagdes; Charlton? Derby? Forest? Simple designs and use of two and three colours.

Have I said the crest is the way to go either?  I just said that logos need to be stand out and unique, they don't have to be naff though!

The old badge with the Robin doesn't look in anyway professional in my opinion, it looks like a child came up with it and it should be left back in the 80's where it belongs.  Quite why you think I'm wide of the mark with that observation is beyond me.

However as already stated various times, I HAVNT GOT A PROBLEM WITH USING THE ROBIN OR THE BRIDGE OR HAVING ONLY THREE COLOURS IN THE BADGE, I have a problem with using an outdated, poor quality badge like the old Robin and bridge one, which stands out because it's naff.

I'm all for a simple, stand out, unique badge which brings together what the club is all about including its heritage, history etc etc

Archived