IGNORED

So let me get this straight.....

Thatwasclose

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yep, would we be so low down in the table with Maguire and Grey? I don't think so.

Let's hope lessons learnt all round and we have a stunning jan window . CTID

What a shambles the summer transfer window was for us.  The above episode clearly confirms, what I have ignored, despite it being posted on here numerous times; our club is very unprofessionally run and if truth be told, run by Muppets.  The board should hang their heads in absolute shame.

It's enough justification to walk from the job, wonder if he ever thought about it. Appalling negligence by the board and until things like this stop happening we will continue to underachieve. Bet Coppell was undermined similarly with David James.. Makes you wonder who else? Was Trundle really Gary Johnson's signing? Stewart & Bridges? 

I defended SL this week for people criticising him not paying the fees. Whilst SL was speaking the truth, he's got to realise he or the board can't meddle like this; never ends well. We could, in theory, have had two strikers in double figures assuming Grey and Kodjia played together and linked as well as I think they would; we'd be nowhere near a relegation scrap.

The playing side of things including tactics, formations and substitutions regarding the ability of the management team are a separate discussion but their job is made lots more difficult with this sort of crap going on.

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

It's enough justification to walk from the job, wonder if he ever thought about it. Appalling negligence by the board and until things like this stop happening we will continue to underachieve. Bet Coppell was undermined similarly with David James.. Makes you wonder who else? Was Trundle really Gary Johnson's signing? Stewart & Bridges? 

I defended SL this week for people criticising him not paying the fees. Whilst SL was speaking the truth, he's got to realise he or the board can't meddle like this; never ends well. We could, in theory, have had two strikers in double figures assuming Grey and Kodjia played together and linked as well as I think they would; we'd be nowhere near a relegation scrap.

The playing side of things including tactics, formations and substitutions regarding the ability of the management team are a separate discussion but their job is made lots more difficult with this sort of crap going on.

If we go down this season the board are going to have to take a large share of the blame.

Its unforgivable what they have done.

What TM has said would feed into many peoples view that the way BCFC is run is almost comical, although to be fair Cotts should have known this based on the lack of interview process and due diligence that applied to his own appointment.

I have been critical of both Cotts and the board in the past, now I'm just depressed by the whole thing.  

2 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

If we go down this season the board are going to have to take a large share of the blame.

Its unforgivable what they have done.

Absolute farce; Lansdown has all the ingredients to be an excellent chairman. Local guy, self made, cares about all sport in the area and is well intentioned - it's things like this that are the difference between him and a Huw Jenkins, Steve Gibson or Peter Coates. 

Just now, RumRed said:

What TM has said would feed into many peoples view that the way BCFC is run is almost comical, although to be fair Cotts should have known this based on the lack of interview process and due diligence that applied to his own appointment.

I have been critical of both Cotts and the board in the past, now I'm just depressed by the whole thing.  

I'm not depressed, I'm angered. My blood is boiling.

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Absolute farce; Lansdown has all the ingredients to be an excellent chairman. Local guy, self made, cares about all sport in the area and is well intentioned - it's things like this that are the difference between him and a Huw Jenkins, Steve Gibson or Peter Coates. 

Hopefully he has learnt from this as well. He took a step back and employed others to to the donkey work and put his trust in them. They let him down. Hopefully he won't make the same mistake again

• Admin
12 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

But there is one BIG difference !

The other three have got top flight football at their clubs

As for @TETBURY MASSIVE had a conversation with someone within the game during the summer and heard the same story - hence the reason a certain person is no longer an employee of the club

1 minute ago, phantom said:

But there is one WIG difference !

As for @TETBURY MASSIVE had a conversation with someone within the game during the summer and heard the same story - hence the reason a certain person is no longer an employee of the club

Yep, but my point is they haven't always and those chairmen have helped establish those clubs as successful premier league sides - obvious exception is Boro but under Gibson they've won the League Cup and reached the UEFA cup final, all three clubs are in a better position thanks to those chairmen - especially Stoke and Swansea.

1 hour ago, TETBURY MASSIVE said:

As its New Years Eve... I will share with you 'My Opinion' on the subject..... people you don't have to believe me and neither will I name my sources, so save yourselves posting 100 times asking for them.

Nogbad is correct in what he says above!

This happened twice on big deals which led to them big scuppered and then being turned down. The two main targets of the Summer!!

Both deals were agreed in principal at the end of May.

The first deal scuppered was Harry Maguire, KB & SC had negotiated the deal to sign HM from Hull, a fee of £2.5 Million was agreed, personal terms agreed.

The second deal scuppered was Andre Gray, again KB & SC had negotiated a deal to sign AG from Brentford for £4.5 Million and £14k a week.

The deals were presented to JP who discusses them with SL

SL has the final say on all signings.

Beginning of June SC & KB go on holiday for 3 weeks and 2 weeks respectively. During this time JP & SL decide to negotiate the HM deal as they think they can get a better deal. They offer £1.25 million to Hull. Hull's response is that BCFC are trying the micky.... the deal had been agreed and now the club are trying to get him on the cheap. Hull's response is, you can buy HM but the price was then £4 Million and there was no negotiation. Deal falls through.

Next up is the Andre Gray deal, as mentioned above the deal was all agreed in principal by the end of May, this deal was scuppered due to SL/JP deciding to 'wait' on the deal, they believed that he was valued at £3 Million and were prepared to play cat and mouse with Brentford in order to get him cheaper. June passes and we are still waiting it out. In the mean time Burnley come sniffing but with no firm offers. We then try again at the end of July but Brentford are happy to hold out and tell BCFC that the price is now £8 Million. Andre Gray is now reluctant to move to us as we held out on the deal and were not offering any more than £14k a week. 

Burnley then offer £6 Million fee, which is agreed. They agree personal terms of £26k a week and £3k a week in bonuses. Deal dead for BCFC.

This then sends the board into panic..... Enter the Dwight Gayle saga.

The deal was £9 Million and was made up of two parts. the first part was would see CPFC buyout the sell on clause of YB, they value him at between £15-£20 Million. Our sell on clause is 20 %, Both clubs negotiated that the sell on clause was worth £3.5 Million, so BCFC would pay £5.5 Million adding in the sell on clause would take the deal to £9 Million. The deal fell down through our wage structure. DG is on £21k a week at CPFC, BCFC offered £14k a week, DG said he would sign for £19k a week as he would receive a % of the transfer fee. SL/JP would not break the wage structure which is capped at £15k a week for any one player. Deal Dead.

That leaves us at square one with none of our main targets secured, in a nut shell the above is what led to our disastrous transfer window in the Summer!!

Crikey. As Malcolm Tucker once said, what an omnishambles. 

1 minute ago, TETBURY MASSIVE said:

100% Not, Its New Years Eve, Not April Fools. :(

Thanks for taking the time to collate that post, TM. You should have titled it, 'The Nightmare Before New Year!' Based on that evidence, how can we trust the board to act competently in January?

SC has been one of the most successful city managers in many a year. What he did last season was miraculous (given when we were when he took over). I for one am fed up of this short-termist attitude towards managers. All of the top managers who have built something long-lasting have been given time at the start of their jobs to get things right. SC said when he took over he would need a couple of seasons (and the transfer windows they would provide) to finally get a squad that he could call his own. He went a long way towards that last season and I think he thought the last window and this one would probably add the finishing touches. For whatever reason the last window did not work out. He deserves this window to act. I think he deserves the chance to keep us up and I for one think he will.

We had to go through Tinnion, Coppell, McInnes, O'Driscoll before we finally found someone who could deliver what we wanted last season. I do not want to go through that merry-go-round again. 

He deserves some patience!

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

But there is one BIG difference !

The worrying thing is, TETBURY MASSIVE includes Lansdown in this sorry story, and even more troubling is this is not the first time fingers have been pointed at SL.

Really hard to criticise the man, with how he's supported our club but it seems to be a reoccurring problem. 

3 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Thanks for taking the time to collate that post, TM. You should have titled it, 'The Nightmare Before New Year!' Based on that evidence, how can we trust the board to act competently in January?

I think we should be expecting nothing less than a huge January transfer window where the board pull out all the stops.

Apon reading Tetbury massives post my views have totally changed and I actually feel for SC... Absolutely appalled!!

2 minutes ago, Devereux said:

SC has been one of the most successful city managers in many a year. What he did last season was miraculous (given when we were when he took over). I for one am fed up of this short-termist attitude towards managers. All of the top managers who have built something long-lasting have been given time at the start of their jobs to get things right. SC said when he took over he would need a couple of seasons (and the transfer windows they would provide) to finally get a squad that he could call his own. He went a long way towards that last season and I think he thought the last window and this one would probably add the finishing touches. For whatever reason the last window did not work out. He deserves this window to act. I think he deserves the chance to keep us up and I for one think he will.

We had to go through Tinnion, Coppell, McInnes, O'Driscoll before we finally found someone who could deliver what we wanted last season. I do not want to go through that merry-go-round again. 

He deserves some patience!

No wonder SC looks so downbeat; he knows that if the transfers he and KB had set up went through we'd not be in this god awful mess.

2 minutes ago, NATCHER said:

The worrying thing is, TETBURY MASSIVE includes Lansdown in this sorry story, and even more troubling is this is not the first time fingers have been pointed at SL.

Really hard to criticise the man, with how he's supported our club but it seems to be a reoccurring problem. 

He has taken a step back and puts his trust in his employees. They let him down. I hope he has learnt from this. I guess that is why he employees his son

27 minutes ago, NATCHER said:

It is a truly shocking story.

The Gray one is 'yes but' as it looks like we agreed a deal with his club, but Gray himself was never going to be happy with the £14k a week it seems, as his agent then proved by getting a much much better offer we were never going to match. 

One of two things seems to have happened. Burt has exceeded his brief in agreeing these offers in the first place, or Pelling then tried to undercut the deals and be clever. SL other than writing the cheque I am sure is not hands on in the deal, and it says a huge amount to me which one has gone. That at least to some extent tells me something about who SL holds responsible, and may go some way to repairing our reputation out in the market place.

There does also seem to be some naivety frankly that in agreeing offers with the clubs we could still agree personal terms on what we were prepared to pay. If the limit is £15k per week, the Gray one still falls under the 'unrealistic targets' that has been much discussed. A key comment from TMs post is that personal terms were agreed on one deal but not the other. 

Of course, all we can agree with a club is the fee, not personal terms, and as it turned out I am pretty sure Gray would have fallen over anyway, but this all seems very amateur.

Hopefully January brings better!

2 hours ago, TETBURY MASSIVE said:

As its New Years Eve... I will share with you 'My Opinion' on the subject..... people you don't have to believe me and neither will I name my sources, so save yourselves posting 100 times asking for them.

Nogbad is correct in what he says above!

This happened twice on big deals which led to them big scuppered and then being turned down. The two main targets of the Summer!!

Both deals were agreed in principal at the end of May.

The first deal scuppered was Harry Maguire, KB & SC had negotiated the deal to sign HM from Hull, a fee of £2.5 Million was agreed, personal terms agreed.

The second deal scuppered was Andre Gray, again KB & SC had negotiated a deal to sign AG from Brentford for £4.5 Million and £14k a week.

The deals were presented to JP who discusses them with SL

SL has the final say on all signings.

Beginning of June SC & KB go on holiday for 3 weeks and 2 weeks respectively. During this time JP & SL decide to negotiate the HM deal as they think they can get a better deal. They offer £1.25 million to Hull. Hull's response is that BCFC are trying the micky.... the deal had been agreed and now the club are trying to get him on the cheap. Hull's response is, you can buy HM but the price was then £4 Million and there was no negotiation. Deal falls through.

Next up is the Andre Gray deal, as mentioned above the deal was all agreed in principal by the end of May, this deal was scuppered due to SL/JP deciding to 'wait' on the deal, they believed that he was valued at £3 Million and were prepared to play cat and mouse with Brentford in order to get him cheaper. June passes and we are still waiting it out. In the mean time Burnley come sniffing but with no firm offers. We then try again at the end of July but Brentford are happy to hold out and tell BCFC that the price is now £8 Million. Andre Gray is now reluctant to move to us as we held out on the deal and were not offering any more than £14k a week. 

Burnley then offer £6 Million fee, which is agreed. They agree personal terms of £26k a week and £3k a week in bonuses. Deal dead for BCFC.

This then sends the board into panic..... Enter the Dwight Gayle saga.

The deal was £9 Million and was made up of two parts. the first part was would see CPFC buyout the sell on clause of YB, they value him at between £15-£20 Million. Our sell on clause is 20 %, Both clubs negotiated that the sell on clause was worth £3.5 Million, so BCFC would pay £5.5 Million adding in the sell on clause would take the deal to £9 Million. The deal fell down through our wage structure. DG is on £21k a week at CPFC, BCFC offered £14k a week, DG said he would sign for £19k a week as he would receive a % of the transfer fee. SL/JP would not break the wage structure which is capped at £15k a week for any one player. Deal Dead.

That leaves us at square one with none of our main targets secured, in a nut shell the above is what led to our disastrous transfer window in the Summer!!

Thank you TM sounds reasonable and could explain what has made the change in Cotts this season.

If i was him i would be fuming and unless SL had given other assurances for the future i would have found a new club as quickly as possible .

It would be impossible to work under these circumstances .

Sadly i believe that something has been definitively damaged by these actions and the results are there for all to see .

Bristol City all over ! :disapointed2se:

Archived