IGNORED

So let me get this straight.....

Thatwasclose

On 29 December 2015 at 13:39, Kingswood Robin said:

Well that's funny, as Cotterill said at the start of the season, how can I compete when other teams are offering twice what I can? I've also heard that individuals at the club were playing silly buggers at the last minute with fees that had already been agreed, and therefore deals fell through, the window shuts and we're knackered. Those people may or may not be at the club any more. He's been let down.

Your facts/ rumours are true IMO

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I've heard this too.

Fees agreed for players in the Summer, and Cotts. goes on holiday in the reasonable belief everything is sorted.

Offers from the club then lowered and deals fell through leaving SC in a fury on return with little or no time to put things right and alternative targets since gone elsewhere.

In 'My Opinion' this is correct.

9 minutes ago, kivsy said:

easy to scapegoat pelling ? now hes not here, easy to pin blame on someone not able to defend themselves, plenty of time has elapsed since hes gone,

Yes but he left after the window shut, so it was too late to repair the damage. Who knows if he was to blame or if he was fed up with the rest of the board

3 hours ago, Rob k said:

Would you walk out of a 500k plus a year a job in a highly competitive field? 

I would suggest there are only a select few that can do that.

He'd just walked League 1, I'd imagine his stock was pretty high. He wouldn't have been out of work for too long and would have maintained his integrity instead of running the risk of reputational damage with a club which, if the rumours are true, has a critically flawed operating model.

I'd have walked. 

6 minutes ago, Rednwhiterob said:

He'd just walked League 1, I'd imagine his stock was pretty high. He wouldn't have been out of work for too long and would have maintained his integrity instead of running the risk of reputational damage with a club which, if the rumours are true, has a critically flawed operating model.

I'd have walked. 

Fair enough, I'd have stayed.

He may well have got another managers job but not with one that bids 9m for players, of that I'm certain.

On ‎28‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 21:02, Thatwasclose said:

People want SC to stay because of the past and are ignoring what has happened (or not happened) this season?

He is clearly not the man to get the best out of this group of players and that's what it should all be based on. Forget transfers that coulda shoulda woulda happened, the current squad should not be third from the bottom - simply he doesn't have a clue at this level.

Hey, let's keep him on and get relegated so that he can lead us out of L1 again, small time mentality at its best. The same people crying for better players are rejecting the notion that a better manager would improve the team.

Except for a few games where we have been outplayed, most of the games this season we should have done better had SC been on it tactically

I don't think these players can give anymore so in that respect I think he is getting the best out of them - so basing it on that I think he should be given more than 1 poor (maybe not his fault) transfer window to try and bring players in.

The other option IMO is bring in another manager and increase our chances of getting relegated.

For me its SC until the end of the season at least. I would probably keep him if we got relegated, not sure what to do if we stay up - probably base it on his ability to bring players here that we need.

19 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I don't think these players can give anymore so in that respect I think he is getting the best out of them - so basing it on that I think he should be given more than 1 poor (maybe not his fault) transfer window to try and bring players in.

The other option IMO is bring in another manager and increase our chances of getting relegated.

For me its SC until the end of the season at least. I would probably keep him if we got relegated, not sure what to do if we stay up - probably base it on his ability to bring players here that we need.

This is really interesting If we go down (i.e. Cotterrill fails in his job) he should stay yet if we stay up (he succeeds in his task) he should be sacked.

I'm not disagreeing with you by the way, just highlighting it as a bit weird tis all

14 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I'm not convinced by SC and Burts ability to get players here.... as a good friend of mine pointed out....of our current squad we have this....

Fielding - S'od
Ayling - SC
Flint - S'od
Baker (loan) - SC
Bennett (loan) - SC
Pack - S'od
Smith - SC
Williams - S'od
Freeman - SC
Wilbraham ( past it ) - SC
Kodjia - SC

O'Leary, Bryan, Burns, Reid - Academy
Little ( sat on bench ) - SC
Cox (loan never played) - SC
Moore (loan never played) - SC

Robinson (Waste of Money) - SC
Agard (hardly played) - SC
El-Abd (Waste of Money) - SC
Osborne (Never Picked) - SC

Then on top of the above .... George Saville, Ryan Fredericks, Ben Hamer (All SC) 
Matt Smith last season worked well...but he has never replaced Wade properly, not found a replacement for Wilbs and we must not forget JET (who along with Matt Smith got us up and since its been back to Wilbraham & Agard etc from Feb 2015 we've won once at home on a Sat in 10 months !!) as well as Cunningham being let go.

I haven't scrolled through this entire thread and this may have been posted already - but IMO it's not Cotterills fault unless you want to critise him for only wanting to sign players to strengthen the squad. 

Like Cotterill I don't see the point of signing players who add nothing. 

The fact that players didn't want to sign for us isn't exactly his fault.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I haven't scrolled through this entire thread and this may have been posted already - but IMO it's not Cotterills fault unless you want to critise him for only wanting to sign players to strengthen the squad. 

Like Cotterill I don't see the point of signing players who add nothing. 

The fact that players didn't want to sign for us isn't exactly his fault.

Well he's signed plenty as my list above shows...who add nothing to the current first eleven or squad.

5 hours ago, Rednwhiterob said:
2 hours ago, TETBURY MASSIVE said:

In 'My Opinion' this is correct.

Thanks TM, your opinion on these matters is always of interest.

If the rug was pulled out from under SC's feet at the last minute by previously accepted offers then being reduced, effectively scuppering deals he had every reason to believe were sorted out, and leaving him little or no time to salvage the situation ........ well, he might have good reason to be a bit pissed off, might he not?

Perhaps the minority of fans repeatedly calling for his head on this forum might want to bear that scenario in mind.

33 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'm not convinced by SC and Burts ability to get players here.... as a good friend of mine pointed out....of our current squad we have this....

Fielding - S'od
Ayling - SC
Flint - S'od
Baker (loan) - SC
Bennett (loan) - SC
Pack - S'od
Smith - SC
Williams - S'od
Freeman - SC
Wilbraham ( past it ) - SC
Kodjia - SC

O'Leary, Bryan, Burns, Reid - Academy
Little ( sat on bench ) - SC
Cox (loan never played) - SC
Moore (loan never played) - SC

Robinson (Waste of Money) - SC
Agard (hardly played) - SC
El-Abd (Waste of Money) - SC
Osborne (Never Picked) - SC

Then on top of the above .... George Saville, Ryan Fredericks, Ben Hamer (All SC) 
Matt Smith last season worked well...but he has never replaced Wade properly, not found a replacement for Wilbs and we must not forget JET (who along with Matt Smith got us up and since its been back to Wilbraham & Agard etc from Feb 2015 we've won once at home on a Sat in 10 months !!) as well as Cunningham being let go.

So SC signed Ayling, Baker, Bennett, Korey Smith, Freeman, Wilbraham, Kodjia, Wade Elliot, Little, Matt Smith and Agard and you're attempting to spin that to show he can't get good players to come here??

You're making yourself look ridiculous.

9 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

So SC signed Ayling, Baker, Bennett, Korey Smith, Freeman, Wilbraham, Kodjia, Wade Elliot, Little, Matt Smith and Agard and you're attempting to spin that in an attempt to show he can't get good players to come here??

As do others who seem to make Cotterill even more untouchable than the board...

They're all at fault for the fiasco in the summer

So an optimist might think (this is all speculation, not ITK at all): Burt/Cotterill had some decent/realistic targets in the summer that would strengthen the squad, deals pretty much done, Pelling was naive and it went belly up last minute (but details can't be revealed due to legals surrounding Pelling's departure). Cotterill and Lansdown have subsequently made up, both have accepted the need to strengthen, Lansdown's made the funds available, Cotterill/Burt have their targets, January critical, but all on the same page (but not all in our control given players, agents, other clubs). As a result, Lansdown not panicking re current league position. 

Obviously a dazzling array of more pessimistic narratives could also be constructed.

On 28 December 2015 at 21:53, Lew-T said:

Steve Cotterill is the best man for the job with these group of players. The least we can do is give him until January to strengthen. 

Really? Four wins from twenty four games says otherwise. If we maintain this form with Cotterill at the helm it'll be like asking an England cricketer to face test match bowling without a bat. Indefensible.

1 minute ago, Curr Avon said:

Really? Four wins from twenty four games says otherwise. If we maintain this form with Cotterill at the helm it'll be like asking an England batsman to face test match bowling without a bat. Indefensible.

And to add, that we have an absolutely hideous GD... Can't be all hard luck every week despite being told it is.

Plus conceding at least 3 goals in a quarter of our games... Is that acceptable?

19 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

So SC signed Ayling, Baker (On loan ), Bennett (on loan), Korey Smith, Freeman (hardly pulling up trees ), Wilbraham ( hasn't replaced him yet...past it ), Kodjia, Wade Elliot ( retired, yet to be replaced) , Little (sat on the bench ) , Matt Smith (loaned last season ) and Agard ( either sat on bench or out with injury )and you're attempting to spin that to show he can't get good players to come here??

You can spin it however you like Noggers...look at the list of players he's brought here, that we've wasted money on, that don't play.

Of permanent signing's he's made...Smith, Freeman, Kodjia and Ayling are the only one's he uses that have any future here. All the rest are loans, or past it, retired or not used by SC.

You are ridiculous in your thinking if you ignore those facts, as well as making something up regarding signings being pulled from under SC's feet. Those signings didn't happen for a reason as well you know.

For Christ sake...even SL has said recently that he has no idea who SC wants to sign. A couple days until the window, and our financial backer doesn't know!!!!

Is that the workings of a professional Club...seriously? No wonder our recruitment is shot.

These things should be an ongoing dialogue so they can work out finances and proper targets.

Ignoring that fact is ridiculous...however way you try to spin it to make it look good.

33 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

So SC signed Ayling, Baker, Bennett, Korey Smith, Freeman, Wilbraham, Kodjia, Wade Elliot, Little, Matt Smith and Agard and you're attempting to spin that to show he can't get good players to come here??

All but 3 of those players were signed last season while we were a big fish in a small pond, much easier to get players to come to a club like ours with stadium plans and facilities like ours. Now we are small fish in a big pond and the players he's attracted are 2 loans and a Frenchman who has no connections to the English game and therefore knows nothing about Cotterills past at other championship clubs. You're making yourself look ridiculous, there is no time for blind faith anymore or this shiny new stadium will be empty back in league one. He's the manager so the buck stops with him I'm afraid, blaming others is ridiculous.

6 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I've heard this too.

Fees agreed for players in the Summer, and Cotts. goes on holiday in the reasonable belief everything is sorted.

Offers from the club then lowered and deals fell through leaving SC in a fury on return with little or no time to put things right and alternative targets since gone elsewhere.

Where was he on holiday, Antarctica? 

Surely as a boss you periodically check things are going smoothly even when off duty?  A phone call away? I find it hard to believe he was kept in the dark and perhaps even lied to when he was away regarding such crucial developments.  And knowing his temper I think he would have walked had he been undermined like that.

It's an interesting rumour and it fits a number of unanswered questions,  but I'm not convinced. 

Remember, he signed Wilbs while they were both on holiday!

On 28 December 2015 at 21:11, Spike said:

Sorry but I'm getting fed up with this attitude we have at this club whereby someone does something great and then we feel we owe them so much that we should allow the club to go down with them. We need to seriously wake up and realise we don't owe anything to SC, we paid him to do a job and he started off well but now he's out of his depth and unable to help us make the next step and therefore he needs to go.

I don't doubt his passion but what good is passion in a manager if the ability doesn't match. SC is out of his depth, he cannot work with our budget or cannot attract the player into signing, either way it's something we can't allow to keep happening.

Hallelujah....

While we're at it, why not bring back Gary Johnson.....

Perhaps I'm missing something but I can't really understand the point you are trying to make @spudski.

You say Cotts can't attract players here then list an overwhelming number of players he has brought in. Players who did him and the club proud last season. You then point out that Agard and Little are on the bench or hardly played. Yet both players have had injury problems and have difficulties in getting back and keeping their place in the team, not an unusual situation. You also say Moore has never played. Not true.

I know you are trying to make a point, but it seems to me you are contradicting the very thing you are trying to prove.

2 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Perhaps I'm missing something but I can't really understand the point you are trying to make @spudski.

You say Cotts can't attract players here then list an overwhelming number of players he has brought in. Players who did him and the club proud last season. You then point out that Agard and Little are on the bench or hardly played. Yet both players have had injury problems and have difficulties in getting back and keeping their place in the team, not an unusual situation. You also say Moore has never played. Not true.

I know you are trying to make a point, but it seems to me you are contradicting the very thing you are trying to prove.

With respect....Slightly pedantic FR...never played...as in he's hardly ever played.:thumbsup:

Look at the list...many brought in by SC who have been left to rot.

If you look at the list, only Ayling, Smith, Freeman and Kodj have really any future here...can you see Little and Agard when fit being used regularly?

Rest are loans...

7 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Perhaps he was sufficiently put out to make no effort to hide his anger and annoyance, but too fond of his job and his squad, and too excited by the challenge ahead, to throw in the towel?

All guesswork, but he certainly didn't appear too happy all of sudden, did he?

What do you put that down to? 

More likely stayed for the wages he wouldn't have got if he'd have walked.

Archived