IGNORED

So let me get this straight.....

Thatwasclose

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

With respect....Slightly pedantic FR...never played...as in he's hardly ever played.:thumbsup:

Look at the list...many brought in by SC who have been left to rot.

If you look at the list, only Ayling, Smith, Freeman and Kodj have really any future here...can you see Little and Agard when fit being used regularly?

Rest are loans...

Nope, I'm still not getting it!

You can only play 10 + GK. So there will always be plenty "left to rot" in any team. No doubt we will be looking to bring in other club's rotters soon.

It is Cotts team though and his players. Players he has brought in. Good bad or indifferent, he has brought them here in the belief that they have something to offer. Whether he plays them is down to him, even though I may not agree with his selection.

I'm not defending the players brought in or his failure to use more of them, he must have his reasons, however saying he hasn't the ability to get players here is simply not true IMO.

8 hours ago, Rednwhiterob said:
5 hours ago, TETBURY MASSIVE said:
2 hours ago, spudski said:

You can spin it however you like Noggers...look at the list of players he's brought here, that we've wasted money on, that don't play.

Of permanent signing's he's made...Smith, Freeman, Kodjia and Ayling are the only one's he uses that have any future here. All the rest are loans, or past it, retired or not used by SC.

You are ridiculous in your thinking if you ignore those facts, as well as making something up regarding signings being pulled from under SC's feet. Those signings didn't happen for a reason as well you know.

For Christ sake...even SL has said recently that he has no idea who SC wants to sign. A couple days until the window, and our financial backer doesn't know!!!!

Is that the workings of a professional Club...seriously? No wonder our recruitment is shot.

These things should be an ongoing dialogue so they can work out finances and proper targets.

Ignoring that fact is ridiculous...however way you try to spin it to make it look good.

SC's signing list still looks good to me Spudski.

FrenchayRed said it in a nutshell - your list contradicts the very thing you were trying to prove.

For me Cotts (or Burt, or whoever - doesn't really matter) brought in players last summer (2014) with two things in mind. 1) to get promoted 2) for them to be good enough for the Chsmpionship.  He achieved 1) and for 2) some have stepped up to the plate and some haven't.  Did we really expect every one of his signings to make the grade...I didn't, I hoped, but didn't expect.

If you go back to @spudski list, there are a couple of others you could spin;

- Fielding - out of the side under SOD, but ever present last season under Cotts

- Flint - touch and go whether he'd start last season ahead of Karleigh, but became a cult hero under Cotts

Could you also make a similar case for Pack? Probably pushing it to be fair!  Did Cotts know him from Portsmouth though?

As per my start to para 2, you can spin it all ways.

Lets give Cotts a bit of credit, even if you don't think he can take us any further?  And to give a bit of balance, let's also say that it didn't go to plan in summer 2015.

2 hours ago, Danny P said:

All but 3 of those players were signed last season while we were a big fish in a small pond, much easier to get players to come to a club like ours with stadium plans and facilities like ours. Now we are small fish in a big pond and the players he's attracted are 2 loans and a Frenchman who has no connections to the English game and therefore knows nothing about Cotterills past at other championship clubs. You're making yourself look ridiculous, there is no time for blind faith anymore or this shiny new stadium will be empty back in league one. He's the manager so the buck stops with him I'm afraid, blaming others is ridiculous.

That's an intriguing phrase.

Are you referring to SC becoming the longest serving Championship manager while at selling club Burnley, keeping Forest up when they were in disarray after the untimely death of their owner and benefactor, or to his record of never having been relegated out of the Championship (or any other division for that matter)

Perhaps Kodjia was indeed aware of SC's solid Championship record, his popularity amongst his players and his expansive style of football, and these were positive factors that helped him to make up his mind to take the plunge and sign for City?

Or is there something else you were referring to? :dunno:

1 hour ago, Frenchay Red said:

You can only play 10 + GK. So there will always be plenty "left to rot" in any team. No doubt we will be looking to bring in other club's rotters soon.

It is Cotts team though and his players. Players he has brought in. Good bad or indifferent, he has brought them here in the belief that they have something to offer. Whether he plays them is down to him, even though I may not agree with his selection.

I'm not defending the players brought in or his failure to use more of them, he must have his reasons, however saying he hasn't the ability to get players here is simply not true IMO.

Think you're missing the point... Of course SC can get players here...but he has said he won't bring anyone in unless they bring better quality to the squad.

If you look at the list of players he's bought in recently, many have been left out of the first team. Baker and Bennett are the only two recent loans he's played on a regular basis. What's the point of Moore, Cox and Robinson....what was Fredericks and Hamer all about?

He's had a very long time to find a replacement for Wade and Wilbs...neither have been forth coming.

49 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

SC's signing list still looks good to me Spudski.

FrenchayRed said it in a nutshell - your list contradicts the very thing you were trying to prove.

We'll have to agree to disagree in that case Noggers...as that list to me looks awful.

In fairness, I think all of us thought Hamer and Fredericks were just the types of signings we wanted.  

Fred was good at 'borough, they wanted him again.  But there was obviously an incident - whose fault was that....unless it was Cotts and him 'fighting' (allegedly).  To get him was a coup in my opinion.

Hamer, had played at this level and above, a City fan, what more could we have wanted?  He had a few poor games without making a save, and one 3 pointer game at 'borough.  On paper, and scouting, I don't think many expected him to play as poorly as he did.  Was it headache related?

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In fairness, I think all of us thought Hamer and Fredericks were just the types of signings we wanted.  

Fred was good at 'borough, they wanted him again.  But there was obviously an incident - whose fault was that....unless it was Cotts and him 'fighting' (allegedly).  To get him was a coup in my opinion.

Hamer, had played at this level and above, a City fan, what more could we have wanted?  He had a few poor games without making a save, and one 3 pointer game at 'borough.  On paper, and scouting, I don't think many expected him to play as poorly as he did.  Was it headache related?

What's happened to him now? Is there any likelihood of him coming back?

39 minutes ago, spudski said:

Think you're missing the point... Of course SC can get players here.

No, don't think I'm missing your point.

Which was

4 hours ago, spudski said:

I'm not convinced by SC and Burts ability to get players here

But then you said

40 minutes ago, spudski said:

.....look at the list of players he's bought in recently

Can't be both can it?

Whether these, or the ones here from last season, are good enough is another matter, as is the team he picks and his use of subs.

And there I shall leave it, as I fear you are morphing into an online version of my wife, who is never wrong and always wants the last word ;)

I cut to the end of this thread so sorry if the following has already been said. In my opinion we need to strengthen with three quality championship players and things will fall into place. Cotts should stay, I feel that if we go changing manager we will be in trouble. If we get some quality in then we can avoid relegation, we all know we should've done business in the summer and after last season expectations were high but this season is all about adjusting, which means a bit of patience. I still think we have the basis of a good team and it can all be alright if we stand firm. As always it's odd being a City fan. :thumbsup:

41 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

No, don't think I'm missing your point.

Which was

But then you said

Can't be both can it?

Whether these, or the ones here from last season, are good enough is another matter, as is the team he picks and his use of subs.

And there I shall leave it, as I fear you are morphing into an online version of my wife, who is never wrong and always wants the last word ;)

I think your wife has a point ;-) Especially if you're that pedantic and can't get the gist of a thread.

Of course he has got players in...but he can't seem to get the players in he wants.

Enough said...we can leave it there and agree to disagree...no problem ;-)

On 28/12/2015 at 23:31, stephenkibby. said:

Please not Warnock he's a man that believes in his only piss and importance [and the sound of his own voice]

Some here will quote his record in the past, but listen to the man, it's all about him!!

I think its to late to change now but if we did please don't bring in colin!!

I'm in no way advocating a change,or a love in for Warnock,but he understands and has a handle on football that SC will never have....

What is increasingly apparent to me is that with this squad of players, with the current manager, with our current tactics, we are more than fifty fifty to go down. We seem less competitive than at the start of the season, and are losing confidence.

Something in the above trio needs to change. I just do not buy the 'we need to to spend big' argument. How many of the teams around us could consider forking out £2m for a player? Are we really player for player that much worse than Preston? It is of course easy to spend somebody else's money, but ultimately we can never succeed purely this way against clubs spending parachute payments.

It is easy to talk about bad luck, which there has maybe been in some games. Equally, bad luck would also be having to cover two or three long term injuries to key players. In that sense we have been lucky so far this year!

If Cotts is not prepared to change tactics, and/or improve the squad sensibly within a budget set down, as much as he can, he needs to be changed. He is not the first manager to wish he could spend more. If he is willing, then I desperately hope he will succeed. His stubbornness can be a strength, but is starting to look like a weakness. I can also imagine he is marmite to players we are looking to attract - and rightly or wrongly it is just more difficult to recruit players who can slip right in to our current tactics.

As somebody might have once said, this season 'I am not angry, I am disappointed'. I am not angry at any of the players, as I have been in previous seasons. I am convinced they are doing their best. I am not angry at SL or Cotts, but we cannot just keep hoping trying the same thing will lead to different results. 

The club needs something to lift them right now. I hope this is not inappropriate, but this season needs a 'Divvy' moment, to put the season so far in to context, to remind people just how much, rightly or wrongly it all means to us. A new signing perhaps, whatever.

Failing that, given I do think the players are doing their best, all we can do as fans is get behind them and support them, whatever happens. 

4 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

That's an intriguing phrase.

Are you referring to SC becoming the longest serving Championship manager while at selling club Burnley, keeping Forest up when they were in disarray after the untimely death of their owner and benefactor, or to his record of never having been relegated out of the Championship (or any other division for that matter)

Perhaps Kodjia was indeed aware of SC's solid Championship record, his popularity amongst his players and his expansive style of football, and these were positive factors that helped him to make up his mind to take the plunge and sign for City?

Or is there something else you were referring to? :dunno:

So Cotts has got a 'solid championship record'?? - he took Forest from 23rd to 19th, finished 13th and 17th with Burnley, so went backwards there and the next bloke got Burnley promoted to the premier league straightaway, and won 18 of 61 games while at Pompey.

Fair enough, it's your opinion if you call seasons finishing lower mid table or flirting with relegation 'solid'....I have to disagree...

11 hours ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

And to add, that we have an absolutely hideous GD... Can't be all hard luck every week despite being told it is.

Plus conceding at least 3 goals in a quarter of our games... Is that acceptable?

Conceding 3 goals in a quarter of our games isn't acceptable,  it's pure incompetence.

11 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

Thank god I'm not the only one! Sorry @spudski but with respect the point you're labouring seems to me to be the biggest reach since Robbored's Conference Manager argument, I cannot for the life of me see a valid accusation in anything you've illustrated and the examples you're using just don't back anything up, which makes it even harder to follow.

The point I think you're trying to make is that SC has been poor at signing players, the evidence you present for which includes just 4 permanent signings who you're implying are not any good, even though this is a minority of his permanent signings even in your own example, the rest of which are all in the first team and by any view have done well for us.

Then of this minority of 4, Little and Agard you really have no strong argument to write off, as FR says both have started the season with injury problems, Little in particular has done nothing wrong but neither have been poor returns on investment, and the other two, El-Abd and Osborne, were early and logical L1 relegation reinforcements who we've moved on.  

This leaves the balance of your point to be about the quality of loan signings, a subject I wouldn't argue with (it was my argument also, but as a positive reflection of his unwillingness to make poor permanent signings) but there again there are almost as many good first team loanees in your example as are not, so like FR I'm still not sure what your point is.

For what it's worth I think we all get the point now that some people have had enough of Steve Cotterill (although it does make me wonder how long that gives a manager who has done nothing for us - probably about two weeks!) but some of the things being used to write SC off are pretty desperate and not at all logical, we're certainly in "any old stick" territory.

15 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

So SC signed Ayling, Baker, Bennett, Korey Smith, Freeman, Wilbraham, Kodjia, Wade Elliot, Little, Matt Smith and Agard and you're attempting to spin that to show he can't get good players to come here??

You're making yourself look ridiculous.

You are so right...

10 hours ago, spudski said:

I think your wife has a point ;-) Especially if you're that pedantic and can't get the gist of a thread.

Of course he has got players in...but he can't seem to get the players in he wants.

Enough said...we can leave it there and agree to disagree...no problem ;-)

He can't get the players in because we won't pay the money. That in my opinion is the bottom line.... Our salaries don't compete

16 hours ago, KevP said:

So goat boy, who "in your opinion" at the club "lowered the offers" when Cotts was on holiday ?? Pray tell.....

14 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Thanks TM, your opinion on these matters is always of interest.

If the rug was pulled out from under SC's feet at the last minute by previously accepted offers then being reduced, effectively scuppering deals he had every reason to believe were sorted out, and leaving him little or no time to salvage the situation ........ well, he might have good reason to be a bit pissed off, might he not?

Perhaps the minority of fans repeatedly calling for his head on this forum might want to bear that scenario in mind.

As its New Years Eve... I will share with you 'My Opinion' on the subject..... people you don't have to believe me and neither will I name my sources, so save yourselves posting 100 times asking for them.

Nogbad is correct in what he says above!

This happened twice on big deals which led to them big scuppered and then being turned down. The two main targets of the Summer!!

Both deals were agreed in principal at the end of May.

The first deal scuppered was Harry Maguire, KB & SC had negotiated the deal to sign HM from Hull, a fee of £2.5 Million was agreed, personal terms agreed.

The second deal scuppered was Andre Gray, again KB & SC had negotiated a deal to sign AG from Brentford for £4.5 Million and £14k a week.

The deals were presented to JP who discusses them with SL

SL has the final say on all signings.

Beginning of June SC & KB go on holiday for 3 weeks and 2 weeks respectively. During this time JP & SL decide to negotiate the HM deal as they think they can get a better deal. They offer £1.25 million to Hull. Hull's response is that BCFC are trying the micky.... the deal had been agreed and now the club are trying to get him on the cheap. Hull's response is, you can buy HM but the price was then £4 Million and there was no negotiation. Deal falls through.

Next up is the Andre Gray deal, as mentioned above the deal was all agreed in principal by the end of May, this deal was scuppered due to SL/JP deciding to 'wait' on the deal, they believed that he was valued at £3 Million and were prepared to play cat and mouse with Brentford in order to get him cheaper. June passes and we are still waiting it out. In the mean time Burnley come sniffing but with no firm offers. We then try again at the end of July but Brentford are happy to hold out and tell BCFC that the price is now £8 Million. Andre Gray is now reluctant to move to us as we held out on the deal and were not offering any more than £14k a week. 

Burnley then offer £6 Million fee, which is agreed. They agree personal terms of £26k a week and £3k a week in bonuses. Deal dead for BCFC.

This then sends the board into panic..... Enter the Dwight Gayle saga.

The deal was £9 Million and was made up of two parts. the first part was would see CPFC buyout the sell on clause of YB, they value him at between £15-£20 Million. Our sell on clause is 20 %, Both clubs negotiated that the sell on clause was worth £3.5 Million, so BCFC would pay £5.5 Million adding in the sell on clause would take the deal to £9 Million. The deal fell down through our wage structure. DG is on £21k a week at CPFC, BCFC offered £14k a week, DG said he would sign for £19k a week as he would receive a % of the transfer fee. SL/JP would not break the wage structure which is capped at £15k a week for any one player. Deal Dead.

That leaves us at square one with none of our main targets secured, in a nut shell the above is what led to our disastrous transfer window in the Summer!!

13 minutes ago, TETBURY MASSIVE said:

As its New Years Eve... I will share with you 'My Opinion' on the subject..... people you don't have to believe me and neither will I name my sources, so save yourselves posting 100 times asking for them.

This happened twice on big deals which led to them big scuppered and then being turned down. The two main targets of the Summer!!

The first deal scuppered was Harry Maguire, KB & SC had negotiated the deal to sign HM from Hull, a fee of £2.5 Million was agreed, personal terms agreed.

The second deal scuppered was Andre Gray, again KB & SC had negotiated a deal to sign AG from Brentford for £4.5 Million and £14k a week.

Beginning of June SC & KB go on holiday for 3 weeks and 2 weeks respectively. During this time JP & SL decide to negotiate the HM deal as they think they can get a better deal. They offer £1.25 million to Hull. Hull's response is that BCFC are trying the micky.... the deal had been agreed and now the club are trying to get him on the cheap. Hull's response is, you can buy HM but the price was then £4 Million and there was no negotiation. Deal falls through.

Next up is the Andre Gray deal, as mentioned above the deal was all agreed in principal by the end of May, this deal was scuppered due to SL/JP deciding to 'wait' on the deal, they believed that he was valued at £3 Million and were prepared to play cat and mouse with Brentford in order to get him cheaper. June passes and we are still waiting it out. In the mean time Burnley come sniffing but with no firm offers. We then try again at the end of July but Brentford are happy to hold out and tell BCFC that the price is now £8 Million. Andre Gray is now reluctant to move to us as we held out on the deal and were not offering any more than £14k a week. 

Burnley then offer £6 Million fee, which is agreed. They agree personal terms of £26k a week and £3k a week in bonuses. Deal dead for BCFC.

The deal was £9 Million and was made up of two parts. the first part was would see CPFC buyout the sell on clause of YB, they value him at between £15-£20 Million. Our sell on clause is 20 %, Both clubs negotiated that the sell on clause was worth £3.5 Million, so BCFC would pay £5.5 Million adding in the sell on clause would take the deal to £9 Million. The deal fell down through our wage structure. DG is on £21k a week at CPFC, BCFC offered £14k a week, DG said he would sign for £19k a week as he would receive a % of the transfer fee. SL/JP would not break the wage structure which is capped at £15k a week for any one player. Deal Dead.

That leaves us at square one with none of our main targets secured, in a nut shell the above is what led to our disastrous transfer window in the Summer!!

Damning but quite plausible account of what may well have happened.

Going to cost the club a lot more for similar players in January, even if such players are available. Plus of course we are now on less points than most teams in the division so makes us a different prospect for any players we target.

Oh dear!

19 minutes ago, TETBURY MASSIVE said:

Wow!

felt my one word response needed to quote the post....sorry 

33 minutes ago, TETBURY MASSIVE said:

Holy shit... If all that's fact I'm amazed SC didn't walk!! Shambles!!

8 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

Holy shit... If all that's fact I'm amazed SC didn't walk!! Shambles!!

I have heard very similar through a Chelsea scout who speaks to grays agent... He said deal was done last week of last season :((

48 minutes ago, TETBURY MASSIVE said:

Blige 

Doesn't really sum up how I am feeling.

If this is true, I can fully understand Cott's frustration. What a bunch of 'kin' idiots.

32 minutes ago, TETBURY MASSIVE said:

Fascinating insight TM. It took until the last day but undoubtedly The Post Of The Year. 

Archived