IGNORED

Elliott Bennett (MERGED)

True red

16 hours ago, ciderbeans said:

Can say he went for the manager but reality is he went for money and wasn't up for the challenge and wants an easy ride.

Like most, he'll go to Blackburn and his career will stagnate as they aren't a club going anywhere.

i may sound bitter but I am allowed to be and I'm sure I'm not far off the truth.... That and the fact no half decent player in this country wants to play for us

perhaps he went to Blackburn because

1. He wanted to play in the Championship next season
  2. He wanted an additional 4k wages
  3. He wanted to play in the right position
  4. He wanted to work with an old manager

tbh If I was his agent I'd have told him it was a no brainier 

8 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Or in our case "The King is dead, long live t...  Oh ****, there aren't any more members of the Royal Family, can we borrow one that nobody else wants until we work out what to do?"

a bit like George I…or the Tudors…off with his/her head

Without reading pages 6&7, I've read 5 and there is a lot of talk about our wage structure. I'm very sure the large bids weren't publicity stunts. I imagine SL wanted a big signing and SC wouldn't have said no to either. I imagine SL would have paid either the wages they wanted. I do think there is a rough wage cap and it can be broken by the right player. Gayle and Gray would've been worth 15-25k a week or whatever they're on. I don't think at this stage we wanted to splash that on 4-5 players but on a striker we would've gambled. 

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Is it just me or do you perceive a bit of a threat in the last paragraph of this piece?

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/bennett-secures-blackburn-switch-2886584.aspx

What do you mean by threat?

He'll have a whinge and, at worst, say they had a verbal agreement or something. 

4 hours ago, samo II said:

I think it'll be ignored; I don't remember an official communications regards the failed transfers in the summer, only SC being asked and answering in post-match chats.

Best I'll hope for is it being acknowledged in the pre-match videos/preview at the weekend, with a line pointing out Bennett had gone home, so is of course not available.

There is no announcement to make if you don't sign someone.  If someone was at the club and then leaves, I would expect an announcement to be made.  Bennett did a decent job for us and I would have expected an acknowledgement of his contribution.

Note - I can't access the OS from work so please correct me if there has since been an announcement.

3 hours ago, Spoons said:

there is a tweet from bennet sent to bcfc tweets wall saying thanks which is visible on os.

Fair enough, I saw the retweet, but that's come from the player and not the club.  There has been no formal announcement.  Someone just looking at the website or twitter feed would have to work out for themselves that he'd left based on that - that's amateur.

EDIT - I can see from the link further up the thread that it has now been announced.  Still think we're amateur though!

13 hours ago, Spike said:

It's funny, every season we've been relegated you see these posts mid-way through the season and those same people are saying the same thing when we need 12 points from 4 games and an average of 4 goals a game without conceding. Sure mathematically we're not down but being as we may only have two subs on the bench (not that we use them) and a weaker team than the one that hasn't won two games in the same month yet it hardly looks likely that we'll be in the Championship next season does it...

I just think mid-season is a bit early to write everything off. We were worse off at this point two seasons back and pulled ourselves out of it.

Everything depends on who we bring in this month and I'm neither optimistic or pessimistic about that. We all just don't know.

22 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I just think mid-season is a bit early to write everything off. We were worse off at this point two seasons back and pulled ourselves out of it.

Everything depends on who we bring in this month and I'm neither optimistic or pessimistic about that. We all just don't know.

Thing is: we're doing the same as/worse (I believe we had the same points but better goal difference) as in our last season at this level at this same point, which is possibly a better comparison.

1 minute ago, samo II said:

Thing is: we're doing the same as/worse (I believe we had the same points but better goal difference) as in our last season at this level at this same point, which is possibly a better comparison.

Ahhh. But the SOD effect..... ;)

42 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

See I am in total disagreement with you there, two season back we had a squad, we've now got to a point whereby we'd practically accept any player just to make up the numbers, I certainly don't remember being in that position two season ago. 
I agree with it depends on who we bring in or not but we had all summer to make signings, we did hardly anything and that was when we looked a much better prospect for a player to join. You can look at it as positively as you like, that's your call but if we're in the s*** I'd rather not spray a single waft of perfume and say "I don't smell anything"

Just now, Spike said:

See I am in total disagreement with you there, two season back we had a squad, we've now got to a point whereby we'd practically accept any player just to make up the numbers, I certainly don't remember being in that position two season ago. 
I agree with it depends on who we bring in or not but we had all summer to make signings, we did hardly anything and that was when we looked a much better prospect for a player to join. You can look at it as positively as you like, that's your call but if we're in the s*** I'd rather not spray a single waft of perfume and say "I don't smell anything"

No, I agree we are in the shit. And I do think we currently are in an untenable position regarding squad size.

My first post merely opined that things might change depending on what happens in the next 3 weeks and we aren't necessarily down yet.

Depending on what happens this month I may well chuck in the metaphorical towel too, Spike!

13 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

No, I agree we are in the shit. And I do think we currently are in an untenable position regarding squad size.

My first post merely opined that things might change depending on what happens in the next 3 weeks and we aren't necessarily down yet.

Depending on what happens this month I may well chuck in the metaphorical towel too, Spike!

To be fair I'd usually be thinking yeah we'll have targets, we'll be bringing in players but for the first time in a very very long time I honestly have no faith in the manager, hell I almost had more faith in O'Driscoll, I mean at least there seemed to be some direction with him in charge, even if he couldn't get the results on the field. As it stands I wonder if Cotterill has any plans on how to turn this around, I honestly can't see that in him if he does.

4 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

By the way, the old Blackburn is a dump argument.. The training ground is still in the rather nice gated community up there.. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brockhall_Village

And very reasonable house prices too. 6 bed detached footballers wives type pad for less half a million. You'd get an extended ex-council house not far from Ashton Gate for that. 

21 hours ago, Loco Rojo said:

Is that confirmed? Genuinely hadn't heard that before. 

With all these rumours it's easy to understand why everyone has so much venom towards the board and Cotts. I wonder how much is true though.

I wish City had one of those secret footballers (if that's the name) that would write a book to put us out of our misery. 

It was only confirmed on here but some seem to have taken it as gospel...

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Ahhh. But the SOD effect..... ;)

Indeed... 

Under McInnes I felt we needed a new manager, as he had some decent resources but clearly no plan, but we perhaps took the long term view on a situation that needed a short term solution.  S'OD was not the right move.

My concern now is that we make the same mistake again, albeit with transfers, with us reluctant to invest in the short term survival in order to fit into some kind of long term vision.

I'm not an advocate of splashing on players to band-aid a scenario, but right now I hope that is exactly what we do.

Archived