IGNORED

Elliott Bennett (MERGED)

True red

I have been feeling pretty optimistic until recently.  After watching the dross Bolton and Charlton served up I thought both were doomed and we had a 1/3 chance of going down.  Us, Rotherham an MKD battling it out not to finish 22nd; however Charlton have made a couple of decent singings already and could easily pull out of it. 

Saying that IF we were to pull off Moxey and Kermorgant we might start to feel a little more optimistic.  

Things can change quickly, but as to which way it will go, who knows!

:fingerscrossed:

14 minutes ago, GJS said:

I was thinking that we must not be a very attractive option for players to come to at the moment. Now I have started thinking that there are hundreds of players in the game. Lots who don't get game time. Lots at lesser clubs.

We WILL be an attractive club to some. Hopefully we find a few who are up for the challenge.

we just need to string a few results together.

stay positive buddy!

gerard depardieu is attractive to some ladies. He's still a fat ugly washed up actor who lives in Russia.

Hmmm not entirely sure what I'm trying to say here. I'll let someone else work it out

Just now, TRL said:

gerard depardieu is attractive to some ladies. He's still a fat ugly washed up actor who lives in Russia.

Hmmm not entirely sure what I'm trying to say here. I'll let someone else work it out

uhhh even a blind squirrel  occasionally finds a nut?

10 minutes ago, GJS said:

I was thinking that we must not be a very attractive option for players to come to at the moment. Now I have started thinking that there are hundreds of players in the game. Lots who don't get game time. Lots at lesser clubs.

We WILL be an attractive club to some. Hopefully we find a few who are up for the challenge.

we just need to string a few results together.

stay positive buddy!

I think £money talks, and FFP is too retrospective to have desired effect.

If you you look at Fulham, they bought players last season in full knowledge that if they didn't go up to Prem (fat chance), they'd recruited players to make the embargo less of an impact.  I know they still need to get their house in order to come out of embargo this summer, but my opinion is that you shouldn't be allowed to gamble with FFP..

QPR have also bypassed some of the punishments accruing debt in the Prem....and then getting relegated.

Forest were allowed to sign Todd Kane on loan last season because a fan won £250k through the league sponsor, Skybet.

Should we join them in playing the £FFP game?

3 hours ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

I think the fact he will be able to play in his natural position, has something to do with him moving to Blackburn...

Interestingly under Bowyer, Marshall (RM / RW) had a spell at RB!  Not sure of Lambert's form for playing players out of position though.

1 hour ago, MarkRed! said:

TBH mate, no hard evidence.  Just piecing together the press comments he gave at the time and his apparent apathy to the signings. I am not sure they would have fitted into the group, in terms of salary  and they would have been the highest paid by some margin.... SC is big on the togetherness of the squad and I think he would have been concerned about this.  Problem is we don't really know so we are all speculating. This is what happens when the club gives mixed messages and is not clear on who is actually making the transfer decisions. The point maybe is that if the groundwork was done, they would have signed.  

He certainly wanted Gray.

1 hour ago, leadman said:

what a ******* shambles this season is.

if we had left a 10 year old in charge  of everything I rekon he would have done a better job.

its shocking, I never voted on the "who's to blame thread" because there all culpable.

back down again, just hope were back in 2 seasons and not 9.

I think a lot of it is to do with expectations rather than us being an outright "shambles". At the start of the season quite rightly many thought we would finish comfortably mid-table or even higher. 

At present I guess most people would be happy with 4th from bottom and championship football next season. I know I would and I think we will achieve it.

Would championship football next season represent a "shambles"?

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Are they scrapping the last 21 games then?

Missed that announcement....

It's funny, every season we've been relegated you see these posts mid-way through the season and those same people are saying the same thing when we need 12 points from 4 games and an average of 4 goals a game without conceding. Sure mathematically we're not down but being as we may only have two subs on the bench (not that we use them) and a weaker team than the one that hasn't won two games in the same month yet it hardly looks likely that we'll be in the Championship next season does it...

8 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Strange that there has been no statement on the official site regarding Bennett's departure. You'd think it would have been mentioned, especially since there was an article just a couple of days ago saying how we wanted to keep him longer!

We are so amateur in so many ways.

Agreed. Someone at BCFC has made the decision to hold this back in the hope we have some positive news shortly. Strange, as everyone knows already. 

It's like politics and spin. 

8 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Strange that there has been no statement on the official site regarding Bennett's departure. You'd think it would have been mentioned, especially since there was an article just a couple of days ago saying how we wanted to keep him longer!

I think it'll be ignored; I don't remember an official communications regards the failed transfers in the summer, only SC being asked and answering in post-match chats.

Best I'll hope for is it being acknowledged in the pre-match videos/preview at the weekend, with a line pointing out Bennett had gone home, so is of course not available.

16 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

They don't have parachute payments and they are in a god awful crap town.  Wonder why people always insist our location is a problem.

Jesus wept, he'll live in Cheshire!!! Every transfer thread we get the same nonsense about 'shitty northern towns', 'why does he want to live there' etc etc. There are nice places outside of Bristol FFS

Just now, Murraysrightplum said:

Jesus wept, he'll live in Cheshire!!! Every transfer thread we get the same nonsense about 'shitty northern towns', 'why does he want to live there' etc etc. There are nice places outside of Bristol FFS

Erm, that was kind of my point. Often people say Bristol the location is a problem. I don't see why. 

Just now, CotswoldRed said:

Erm, that was kind of my point. Often people say Bristol the location is a problem. I don't see why. 

Fair enough, misunderstood slightly. Players from teams in the North west all live in certain parts of Cheshire (pretty much.) The attraction is there are lots of footballers in one place so you can go and live next door to Rooney if you want to and all hang about together. In Bristol you are hanging around with Rovers players and face it who wants to do that???

50 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Lies I tell thee.

16 hours ago, Calculus said:

What makes you think that Paul Lambert hadn't been in contact with Elliot Bennett or his agent about a potential move in January sometime ago? Not saying this happened as like everybody else I don't know, but it wouldn't be a big surprise would it? If that was the case then there would be nothing anyone at City could do. 

Your right. It highlights though BCFC's unacceptable approach in our transfer dealings. Surely when a loan is proving successful (I did not think EB was all that tbh) you don't wait until its expiry to seek to extend it. Secondly, we know the player is out of contract in the Summer, thus when he was first loaned why not have included an option to purchase in the deal. Blackburn were able to do the business within hours of announcing their interest. They have only recently come out of a transfer embargo. 

Quite clearly EB's agent had had discussions with Lambert. Ultimately there is nothing to be done if the player does not want to come to us. It is made worse by SC coming out at the expiry of the loan and saying he was going to try and do a deal for EB and he would be our first bit of business. I think we are made to look silly and it creates the wrong impression. Our transfer activity appears slow, ill thought through and laborious when you see all of our competitors bringing in players almost as soon as the window opens. We appear to be standing still. 

9 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

there is a tweet from bennet sent to bcfc tweets wall saying thanks which is visible on os.

16 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

These are SC's players and there is no doubt about their commitment to him as their manager.

If the players want SC to stay - and there is absolutely no sign this is not the case - what effect would it have on the spirit in the dressing room to sack him?

The answer imo., is probably a very negative effect, and a greater chance of relegation

I hear your argument Noggers but this is professional football , it's very much " The King is dead , long live the King " .

On a human scale the favoured players may be sad to see him go but the players left out or who consider themselves badly treated will be happy to get a new boss .

If results were to pick up then everyone would be laughing and joking much as before .

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I hear your argument Noggers but this is professional football , it's very much " The King is dead , long live the King " .

Or in our case "The King is dead, long live t...  Oh ****, there aren't any more members of the Royal Family, can we borrow one that nobody else wants until we work out what to do?"

Archived