IGNORED

Elliott Bennett (MERGED)

True red

11 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

I'm not the only one happy to have Mark Little fit and back in the team then?

Not great defensively, of course, but a brilliant athlete, quick and very dangerous going forwards. I thought he was one of our most eye-catching attacking outlets last season.

What also sticks out for me is that in a 3-5-2 your two most important players are your wing-backs - and we've replaced the two wing-backs who were so good last season with a centre-half and an out-of-position loanee.

I'd be starting with Joe Bryan and Mark Little and persisting with them, personally.

more than happy to have mark little back, but squad is to thin. Questions over mark littles shoulder as well. Who have we got as cover for mark little now?? Don't say Wes burns as hes not a wing back hes a striker

18 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

The only thing I can see influencing BCFC being an attractive destination is a change of manager.  Any other ideas?

I'd have to agree CR. There needs to be some form of dangling carrot for potential signings that marks us out from the other options. 

I don't buy into Bristol being looked at as a bad place to live at all. Consistently ranked top 5 places to live, and reputation is only growing year on year. Can't see footballers minding where they live. There are nice places wherever you live, and on a championship players wages, they can take their pick. 

Poor results, league position, thin squad, poor tactics, stubborn manager, no signings coming in and loanees all leaving. Doesn't look great does it from an outsiders point of view. 

Unless we we have a very good transfer window I fear the worst. As such, we need a quick fix, which for me gives two options ...

Either SL throws a LOT of cash around, knowing our championship status depends on it. (Only goes to show you get what you pay for and how rediculous the summer shambles was.)

or

New manager. But this would have to be someone of resource, well connected and well respected. We'd need all the help we could get. Likely to cost £££ to get someone in, all the while being an incredibly expensive risk with zero guarantee of doing any better than SC.

Option 1 for me. Back SC with serious £ so we can fill the obvious voids of our poor season with pound coins. It's the only way I see that we can compete in the market.

Other than making an already small squad smaller it's not a complete disaster. I still think Mark Little can do a job there, albeit has not played alot so may not last the 90. Bennett was very steady for us but not spectacular to the point where you worry about loss of goals or assists without him

What people should bear in mind who seem to question Elliott Bennett 's quality etc is that he played 15 games for us at rwb when he is an out and out right winger! So for a attacking player to come to a new club change hos game and probably be one of the few shining lights of the Las few months is credit to him. Sadly missed along with his adaptability in a small squad.

Just now, The Journalist said:

I'm not the only one happy to have Mark Little fit and back in the team then?

Not great defensively, of course, but a brilliant athlete, quick and very dangerous going forwards. I thought he was one of our most eye-catching attacking outlets last season.

What also sticks out for me is that in a 3-5-2 your two most important players are your wing-backs - and we've replaced the two wing-backs who were so good last season with a centre-half and an out-of-position loanee.

I'd be starting with Joe Bryan and Mark Little and persisting with them, personally.

I agree with that. Little will at least be fresh, as should Burns and Wagstaff. That's 3 options at RWB. We should strengthen elsewhere.

Joe Bryan lost his form and confidence at the beginning of the season.He also shouldn't be as jaded as the rest of the overplayed side. A return to form from him would be welcome.

We need options through the spine of the side, particularly midfield and up front. Kodjia is starting to show signs of fatigue and it might be an idea to get someone in their twenties to partner him. I don't want to think what would happen if we lost Korey Smith for any amount of time.

8 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

It is becoming the only option. His lack of guile and flexibility has been laid bare. To get players in you now need someone who has a reputation that can drag a few players in for a relegation fight. If we cannot even sign Bennet then the club is a true emergency situation. For me SC has to go. I had hoped he would have adapted to the situation and new league. He has not, and whilst I fully accept the squad is not good enough, he is also now becoming the reason why we cannot improve it. 

These are SC's players and there is no doubt about their commitment to him as their manager.

If the players want SC to stay - and there is absolutely no sign this is not the case - what effect would it have on the spirit in the dressing room to sack him?

The answer imo., is probably a very negative effect, and a greater chance of relegation

1 minute ago, The Bard said:

I agree with that. Little will at least be fresh, as should Burns and Wagstaff. That's 3 options at RWB. We should strengthen elsewhere.

Joe Bryan lost his form and confidence at the beginning of the season.He also shouldn't be as jaded as the rest of the overplayed side. A return to form from him would be welcome.

We need options through the spine of the side, particularly midfield and up front. Kodjia is starting to show signs of fatigue and it might be an idea to get someone in their twenties to partner him. I don't want to think what would happen if we lost Korey Smith for any amount of time.

Wes burns is a striker not a rwb!!

Whilst I fully understand everyone's frustration (I was someone that was constantly being told to calm down back in July as I expressed concern about our lack of signings and tiny squad) I can't get too worked up about missing out on Bennett.

I was discussing him a while back and thought that although there was every chance that although Norwich would be happy to get rid, it was likely a bigger club/better team in this division would be able to attract him over us.

There is enough evidence (and much suspicion) on the table already that I guess it is fair enough to jump up and down and criticise 'the board' every time we miss out on a player, but you can't force people to sign. So Bennett would rather play for a better team, at a club with much more success than us, under a manager he previously knows and in a position he is much more comfortable in playing. Other than sending the 'Bristol Sport' henchmen round to his house and threatening to destroy his recently built kitchen I'm not sure what else we could have done.

As with everything else about this season, if we couldn't attract the players we needed in the summer when we w're riding the crest of a wave, seemed upwardly mobile and had momentum on our side that almost any other club wouldn't have been able to match then what hope do we have of doing anything at this level? Maybe Danny had it right all along, let's go back to League 1 and constantly challenge near the top without ever getting over the line, that seems to suit us much more.

As much as I think Bennett is better than Little and would rather we signed him I don't think that is exactly going to be a main reason if we get relegated. The lack of a competent goalkeeper, midfield, centre forward under the age of 36 and a frankly laughable competition/cover for places is why we are struggling, and as far as I can why we will continue to struggle in a way in which makes 21st place look like some sort of open top bus worthy success.

One thing I will point out as striking me as ridiculous however is Lansdown saying on the radio the other week that he hadn't seen a list of targets, but expected one 'soon'. How on earth can we have the summer we had and be leaving it that late to go about bringing in players? I'm exaggerating slightly obviously, but we should have been sure of what/who we wanted this month back in September considering we must have knew how short we had left ourselves. It's like a child on Football Manager, 'ooh that window is open lets sign some players'. 

Still raising a bench is overrated I guess if you play the same players every week and never make subs at a time that could actually change the game.

Would be shocked if we didn't sign anyone,shocked putting it mildly,in this transfer window.No one on here has a clue who we,if anyone,are talking to.Was talking to a few people today and most of them were of the opinion that things will become clearer after the FA cup games this weekend,we need new players for the fight to stay in this division,not this weekend which is nothing but a distraction.

1 minute ago, bearded_red said:

Whilst I fully understand everyone's frustration (I was someone that was constantly being told to calm down back in July as I expressed concern about our lack of signings and tiny squad) I can't get too worked up about missing out on Bennett.

I was discussing him a while back and thought that although there was every chance that although Norwich would be happy to get rid, it was likely a bigger club/better team in this division would be able to attract him over us.

There is enough evidence (any much suspicion) on the table already that I guess it is fair enough to jump up and down and criticise 'the board' every time we miss out on a player, but you can't force people to sign. So Bennett would rather play for a better team, at a club with much more success than us, under a manager he previously knows and in a position he is much more comfortable in playing. Other than sending the 'Bristol Sport' henchmen round to his house and threatening to destroy his recently built kitchen I'm not sure what else we could have done.

As with everything else about this season, if we couldn't attract the players we needed in the summer when we w're riding the crest of a wave, seemed upwardly mobile and had momentum on our side that almost any other club wouldn't have been able to match then what hope do we have of doing anything at this level? Maybe Danny had it right all along, let's go back to League 1 and constantly challenge near the top without ever getting over the line, that seems to suit us much more.

As much as I think Bennett is better than Little and would rather we signed him I don't think that is exactly going to be a main reason if we get relegated. The lack of a competent goalkeeper, midfield, centre forward under the age of 36 and a frankly laughable competition/cover or places is why we are struggling, and as far as I can why we will continue to struggle in a way in which makes 21st place look like some sort of open top bus worthy success.

One thing I will point out as striking me as ridiculous however is Lansdown saying on the radio the other week that he hadn't seen a list of targets, but expected one 'soon'. How on earth can we have the summer we had and be leaving it that late to go about bringing in players? I'm exaggerating slightly obviously, but we should have been sure of what/who we wanted this month back in September considering we must have knew how short we had left ourselves. It's like a child on Football Manager, 'ooh that window is open lets sign some players'. 

Still raising a bench is overrated I guess if you play the same players every week and never make subs at a time that could actually change the game.

fair point!

19 minutes ago, robin4ever said:

Evidently Blackburn have blown us out of the water financially . He wanted to stay but we could not get near the money !!!!!!! Terrible loss and also think we won't get any in. We were an attractive option in may .... Not now !! The board are division one in approach , attitude and financially

But how so? Their crowds aren't great. Not sure their financial clout is that big any more. 

1 minute ago, harrys said:

Personally think he's over-rated, how many assists has he got, how many goals has he scored, how many times has he beat a full back? Let's move on

Looked OK but certainly didn't pull up any trees.

2 minutes ago, harrys said:

Personally think he's over-rated, how many assists has he got, how many goals has he scored, how many times has he beat a full back? Let's move on

opinions on how good he is/isn't. Are irrelevant when you have a squad of 15/16 !

2 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

But how so? Their crowds aren't great. Not sure their financial clout is that big any more. 

They pay Jordan Rhodes over 50 k a week.... That's prob 7 or 8 of our players .... Enough said ?!!!!

23 minutes ago, robin4ever said:

Evidently Blackburn have blown us out of the water financially . He wanted to stay but we could not get near the money !!!!!!! Terrible loss and also think we won't get any in. We were an attractive option in may .... Not now !! The board are division one in approach , attitude and financially

Obviously not that much! Perhaps he thought there would be a change of management so decided to leave?

8 minutes ago, harrys said:

I'm glad someone agrees with me. However the point remains that if we cannot attract his ilk we aren't going to attract anyone better. Are we?

23 minutes ago, Spoons said:

more than happy to have mark little back, but squad is to thin. Questions over mark littles shoulder as well. Who have we got as cover for mark little now?? Don't say Wes burns as hes not a wing back hes a striker

15 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I'm certainly not saying I'm pleased we're missing out on Elliott Bennett. He's a good player and he's done well for us. I'm just hopeful that Mark Little can come back in and inject a wee bit more energy and pace into us.

As for the other point - well, we could probably do with quality cover in just about every position on the field, couldn't we?!

Archived