IGNORED

Elliott Bennett (MERGED)

True red

18 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

We do at least have Mark Little who would have been in the position all season had he not been injured. It's not good to lose Bennett but it could be worse.

IMO Bennett is far more superior than Little.  Peterborough sold Little as soon as the got promoted to the Championship so why is he good enough for BC?!

This is fast turning into a joke and one that is not funny. EB should have been a deal ready to be done as soon as the window opened. Other teams have signed players and EB is out of contract in the Summer.  What is going on. The lack of activity is desperate when we have known since the start of the season that we have an urgent need for reinforcements. Deals should have been done and simply rubber stamped....

I dont blame SC for all of this. I blame the board and Bristol Sport. I blame the director of football. There is no strategy and no leadership. I suspect SC is not responsible for transfers but is part of a transfer committee and his hands are tied. This would indicate why he has no "irons on the fire", it simply is not his role. Heads should roll for the mess that has symbolised this season and I dont include SC in this. The setup is totally amateur at BCFC and is undermining the hard work of SC and an honest bunch of players.  

I know its only early in the window but I expected to see at least 3 new signings to be confirmed and in place for the WBA game and the big 2 home games against PNE and Boro. Maybe we should suggest that the club holds a trial and offer ourselves as squad players.... Desperate.  

5 minutes ago, Spoons said:

I'm hoping beyond hope that SC and KB have got this all under control. We need 5/6 signings now at least.

cant all be loans either as nearly at full allocation for the season.

didn't realise kermogant was 34 either!

4 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

This is fast turning into a joke and one that is not funny. EB should have been a deal ready to be done as soon as the window opened. Other teams have signed players and EB is out of contract in the Summer.  What is going on. The lack of activity is desperate when we have known since the start of the season that we have an urgent need for reinforcements. Deals should have been done and simply rubber stamped....

I dont blame SC for all of this. I blame the board and Bristol Sport. I blame the director of football. There is no strategy and no leadership. I suspect SC is not responsible for transfers but is part of a transfer committee and his hands are tied. This would indicate why he has no "irons on the fire", it simply is not his role. Heads should roll for the mess that has symbolised this season and I dont include SC in this. The setup is totally amateur at BCFC and is undermining the hard work of SC and an honest bunch of players.  

I know its only early in the window but I expected to see at least 3 new signings to be confirmed and in place for the WBA game and the big 2 home games against PNE and Boro. Maybe we should suggest that the club holds a trial and offer ourselves as squad players.... Desperate.  

You've saved me writing this.

The board should be judged on the results of their actions.  And the inaction and results are utterly appalling.

2 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

What makes you think that Paul Lambert hadn't been in contact with Elliot Bennett or his agent about a potential move in January sometime ago? Not saying this happened as like everybody else I don't know, but it wouldn't be a big surprise would it? If that was the case then there would be nothing anyone at City could do. 

5 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

It's probably a deadly combination of the two, The Board and SC. Reluctance to pay out for players, and a refusal to sign anyone who didn't fit in with Cott's plan.

1 minute ago, View from the Dolman said:

Why Bristol Sport if they're responsible for marketing and the suchlike as per SL's comments?

I am not sure what to believe with the running of the club. There not doing a very good marketing job for us are they as we plunge back to Lg1?  It is quite clear the structure is an utter shambles that allows the squad to be unfit for championship football with no communication being given to allay the concerns of fans. It is not as if we have been hit by a series of unfortunate injuries. The team was not strong enough when it started pre-season.... There should be a full review at the end of the season to prevent this from occurring in the future. 5 pillars :laugh:, ----- more like a series of ruins....

Just now, Fishponds_Red said:

We now have lost 2 perfectly good Championship wingers in this transfer window as well as a LB the summer all because of SC's insistence of playing 3-5-2.  Enough is enough.

It is tempting to agree.  The only thing I can see influencing BCFC being an attractive destination is a change of manager.  Any other ideas?

1 minute ago, Fishponds_Red said:

IMO Bennett is far more superior than Little.  Peterborough sold Little as soon as the got promoted to the Championship so why is he good enough for BC?!

Actually he made 64 appearances in 2 Championship seasons with Peterborough, and played another season back in League One.

He did perfectly well last season and hasn't had a chance to prove himself this season.

It's clear that Cotterill would like to keep Bennett and that suggests he probably does prefer him to Little, but it doesn't mean Little can't do a job and it would be preferable to lose a player such as him for whom we do have cover than one such as Korey Smith for whom we do not.

2 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Actually he made 64 appearances in 2 Championship seasons with Peterborough, and played another season back in League One.

He did perfectly well last season and hasn't had a chance to prove himself this season.

It's clear that Cotterill would like to keep Bennett and that suggests he probably does prefer him to Little, but it doesn't mean Little can't do a job and it would be preferable to lose a player such as him for whom we do have cover than one such as Korey Smith for whom we do not.

My apologies and also to smokey live  I seem to have remembered that one incorrectly. 

33 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

We do at least have Mark Little who would have been in the position all season had he not been injured. It's not good to lose Bennett but it could be worse.

I'm not the only one happy to have Mark Little fit and back in the team then?

Not great defensively, of course, but a brilliant athlete, quick and very dangerous going forwards. I thought he was one of our most eye-catching attacking outlets last season.

What also sticks out for me is that in a 3-5-2 your two most important players are your wing-backs - and we've replaced the two wing-backs who were so good last season with a centre-half and an out-of-position loanee.

I'd be starting with Joe Bryan and Mark Little and persisting with them, personally.

Haven't been massively impressed by Bennett, but he's been solid enough and is clearly a player Cotts. wanted to keep.

So, disappointing on that score, plus of course it will leave us even more desperately short numbers wise if there are no incomers quickly.

Obviously Bennett got on well with Lambert previously, and, if he does end up at Blackburn, that will no doubt be the deciding factor.

A bit like Wade Elliot coming here.

I trust Burt has come out of his apparent torpor and is vigorously thrusting his potential signings list under SL's nose as we speak.

1 minute ago, Shtanley said:

Honestly I'm not a massive fan of little but I think his head down run as fast as I can I'm faster than you style could get the crowd and team going. 

At this moment it seems like its either him or one of the lads who pours pints of Butcombe under the Dolman.  That's how threadbare we are.

I am not sure why fans have it in for SC. You need to consider the structure - when he was appointed he was to be called a Head Coach. This was because the board believed that the job of a manager was now redundant in the traditional sense. The players and coaching staff would be in place regardless of who was managing them. If you follow all the old You Tube videos of JL and SL this is made clear. SC resisted and given the desperate straits the club was in at the time, he was given the title manager. However, in reality I would be surprised if he is leading on transfers and is  managing the club in the old fashioned sense. We dont know what he does have jurisdiction over because there is no transparency with fans. If SC is in control over transfers then he deserves to be criticised. However, I really dont believe he does and this is emphasised by his media appearances, which come across as highly defensive when the issue of transfer policy is raised. SC keeps fronting up to questions in this way because he is probably toeing the party line and he knows it is not good enough. He aint gonna be fired (unless the players stop playing for him) because he is working within an agreed club strategy. Read between the lines and I think SL alluded to this in his interview. I support SC but 4 wins in 25 is sackable given our history with managers and this particular board. Thus, something is afoot in the way the club is being run. 

The fact is the board probably thought we could cope in the Championship with some marquee signings made along the way (they have done this before with David James). Do you really believe SC wanted Gayle and Grey when neither he nor the club have any track record of spending such sums on 1 player.... They were board signings to make BCFC stand out.  However, they actually ignored the areas of the team which needed strengthening. We are now paying for this as a team, because we are not as good as we thought albeit in a much more challenging league. 

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Haven't been massively impressed by Bennett, but he's been solid enough and is clearly a player Cotts. wanted to keep.

So, disappointing on that score, plus of course it will leave us even more desperately short numbers wise if there are no incomers quickly.

Obviously Bennett got on well with Lambert previously, and, if he does end up at Blackburn, that will no doubt be the deciding factor.

A bit like Wade Elliot coming here.

I trust Burt has come out of his apparent torpor and is vigorously thrusting his potential signings list under SL's nose as we speak.

Evidently Blackburn have blown us out of the water financially . He wanted to stay but we could not get near the money !!!!!!! Terrible loss and also think we won't get any in. We were an attractive option in may .... Not now !! The board are division one in approach , attitude and financially

13 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

I firmly believe we'll not make any permanent signings.  Anyone else disagree?

:sub:I disagree. Imo. there will be several players, at a minimum, arriving this window. There simply have to be.

1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

Have you started drinking early?!

No, why do you ask?

Archived