IGNORED

Todays Press Conference.

Selred

17 minutes ago, Flagon said:

It seems they are comfortable taking the risk we will still be playing Championship football next season spending next to nothing. Can I be optimistic and think that we will make it and they will go for it properly in the summer hoping that the investment leads to bumper crowds with the ground complete. Please.

Story of a city fans life in recent years, everyone hoping we'll "go for it" in the next window, or maybe the one after, or the one after that and so on!

2 minutes ago, marmite said:

If we can't compete in this division now, we might as well go back down and be successful in the lower leagues. If SL wont invest now, whats to say he will next season IF we stay up?

Next season, IF we stay up will feel too late as well. This summer was the time to do it. If it really was the difference between another £5k / week here and there for different players that would have swung it, that was the time to do it

I seriously do not get this, I mean Sl says we have money, says we don't. If SC is lying then sack him and replace him and allow that new man to use the money, if SL is lying, well it sounds like we may as well quit now and be done with it.

I honestly don't get how we had £9m to spend in the summer and now have nothing unless we're talking wages at which point with all the loans going back and we still have no money for wages were we ever paying any of their wages in the first place? Also why would we be bringing in U21 players and paying them a wage when we'll obviously need every penny for the starting players?

This just doesn't add up and it's typical Bristol City bulls***

19 minutes ago, cottsciderarmy said:

This is very worrying indeed, I fear it's a case of Cotts thinking player isn't worth 10K a week, Lansdown happy to pay it, but KB and Cotts don't think worth it, so someone else pays the 10K and signs them, therefore because Cotts and KB are pig ignorant they say we can't complete rather than admitting they have no concept of what players are worth. Reportedly Lansdown said average wage in league one was 2/3K so it meant we could offer the best wages to get them to sign, therefore they can't have this approach in the Championship, but feel they shouldn't need to pay more than 5-10K a week, when most premier league youngsters are already on more than that, and most players in the top end of the Championship are on 10-20K. I don't think it's a case we can't complete as Lansdown says we can afford the wages and the money is there, I think the problem is KB and Cotts don't think 10k+ is worth paying and therefore don't tell SL to sign the cheque, probably worried they will upset the squad who are probably only on 5-7K a week each.

We are going down. I have the feeling if we had a Warnock or someone in charge, we would be signing players as they would be happy to pay the going rate.

What a strange interpretation of what SC said.

The wages/financial packages City offer to prospective players are absolutely nothing to do with Cotterill.

9 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

It gets more obvious by the day that SC & SL can't / won't work together

Two different stories out there, both can't be true

Mad isn't it. They used to be best mates, SC was friends with the board, hence his appointment when a lot of fans were against it. Throughout his tenure (up until May) SC couldn't stop praising SL. Then SC is let down in the summer and not a mention of the board from SC since.

I do feel for him. Not the first manager to have been let down at this club.

5 minutes ago, marmite said:

If we can't compete in this division now, we might as well go back down and be successful in the lower leagues. If SL wont invest now, whats to say he will next season IF we stay up?

That makes a 27,000 stadium and the quote 'we will be competing for the Premier League next season' a total joke then!

I really don't know who is at fault for the present debacle but it's a total mess!

22 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Meanwhile we sign someone from the French third division...

In the same week that someone chooses Blackburn over us, not hard to see who is telling the truth, is it?

Hang on ,we paid 50,000 big ones for him . I very much doubt that he will single handedly save our season but if he gets a bit of first team experience and  still does n't make the grade are we going to make a loss on him ?

This is an Akinde type buy ,that we should try more often . That and letting our youngsters play more .

10 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

It's true.  But I'd also argue this is also why it's a massive strategic failure to find yourself banking on multiple new signings in January to save your season.  We're paying the price for our mistakes during the summer.  I strongly suggest that price will be League One. 

I hope you're wrong about the price, but it is certainly true that some crazy things happened behind the scenes this summer and we are paying for it.

I just don't understand how (reported) multi, multi million pound bids in the summer, now equates to not being financially able to compete.

Surely it boils down to wages? And who sets the wage budgets?? Not SC, so surely these statements from him are little digs at the board for not raising the wage budget?

What an absolute shambles. I despair at this club sometimes. What was the point in getting promoted if we're going to chuck it all away so easily. We've totally taken our eye off the ball - I can't believe the crap Cotterill/Lansdown are coming out with. Who's telling the truth here? Do they think we're stupid? If they can't read from the same page and come up with a coherent strategy together than it's time they went their separate ways - it's a total mess.

5 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Yep - I know what you're saying there LB, which leads be back to my first point. I just don't think they can work together anymore

Indeed. And, worse still, SC sounds like he's out of ideas, out of enthusiasm and no longer believes he can get players in and turn it around.  My fear is that, in his head, he resigned several months ago (perhaps in the Summer) and he's here more in person than spirit.

Just now, BCFC Jordan said:

Mad isn't it. They used to be best mates, SC was friends with the board, hence his appointment when a lot of fans were against it. Throughout his tenure (up until May) SC couldn't stop praising SL. Then SC is let down in the summer and not a mention of the board from SC since.

I do feel for him. Not the first manager to have been let down at this club.

'mad' doesn't do it justice!

As you say, not the first manager to be let down, I know where my finger would be pointing if I was asked where the problem lies

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Indeed. And, worse still, SC sounds like he's out of ideas, out of enthusiasm and no longer believes he can get players in and turn it around.  My fear is that, in his head, he resigned several months ago (perhaps in the Summer) and he's here more in person than spirit.

The only thing that I've read on here in the last few months that cheered me up was when I asked Mr Burns if the squad were still as tight as they were last season. The answer was overwhelmingly 'yes'. Whilst that is the case we still have a fighters chance, if we're going down then lets at least throw a few right handers before we hit the canvas

Just now, Woodsy said:

'mad' doesn't do it justice!

As you say, not the first manager to be let down, I know where my finger would be pointing if I was asked where the problem lies

If they've fallen out, why on earth is he still here then, especially given the performances on the pitch.

If SC was doing miracle work with the small squad, great, but nothing is working right now.

1 minute ago, Alessandro said:

If they've fallen out, why on earth is he still here then, especially given the performances on the pitch.

If SC was doing miracle work with the small squad, great, but nothing is working right now.

That is the bit I don't get either, not that I want it to happen

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

that's not how he came across in the player interview

Talked about winning games when he gets two good players in!!

35 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

So we're missing Baker, Williams and Freeman this Saturday? Seriously who the  **** is going to start?

This is a serious question. Who will start?  Who will be on the bench? What formation will we play? Do we have enough to compete at all? I do hope the 5300 going up get something to cheer about, but it seems unlikely. I do hope its all smoke and mirrors from SC and SL but to me it looks like we are in freefall.

1 minute ago, Woodsy said:

The bloke who has to work under the people creating the problem. Always the same!

The Indians always lose out to the chiefs,life sure does suck some times.

1 hour ago, Selred said:
  • -       City boss Steve Cotterill confirmed he will use Garita in senior squad while numbers are down. Thereafter, in under-21s.

• - 

I can't decide if this shows Cotts complete lack of management skills, or if it is a way of trying get the new lad to up his game. If he plays well and scores a few goals while numbers are down, would he really he drop him to the U21's when someone new comes in?

Surely he should be saying "this is your chance to shine lad, bang 'em in and keep your place in the first team"

19 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Just watched the interview with cotts, strangely it was the most upbeat he's been in months!!!!

Agree, but he is usually better in the pre-match interview than post match one (this season anyway)

11 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

He said he had irons in the fire, but a little dependent on other clubs, e.g. Are we waiting for them to buy before they will sell, or it a merry-go-round deal of the summer (Afobe / Grabban / Kermogant).

If he cannot get the players he wants at this exact point, or a bit later in the window, then he must try to bolster squad (even if to make numbers up) by loans or a League One.

8 minutes ago, djb6162 said:

don't be taken in !!!!!!

Said they are doubts.  'Doubts' can be in training, but nowhere near fit, they could be in training and be close to fitness, or it could be mind games.

Archived