IGNORED

Todays Press Conference.

Selred

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

Me too.  And, whilst I accept Cotts' knows more than I do, I don't think it's a couple of players in key positions.  I think it's 3 new players in 3 key positions plus replacements for Bennett and Moore and cover for Fielding.  At the very least.

we need a replacement for Wilbs

4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

What worries me more is we're banking the last minute of the transfer window.   If it's anything like the summer, we may then find those players don't arrive at all... 

To be fair though, the Jan transfer window is always like this, agents and players waiting for the best deal, stirring up hysteria, desperation and therefore price.

Not much the clubs can do about it, they hold less cards in Jan. So you play the game, or get out.

7 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Owner says funds that can match others are available. Manager says otherwise.

Cant see this ending well.

I don't think it's about not being able to match other teams' offers financially, we can do that. But the only way to get players to come here would be to significantly trump those offers in which point we'd be paying well over the odds and would end up burning £17 million a year again. Of course the strict approach to not paying too much for undeserving players doesn't seem to be working too well at the moment either. It's a difficult one imo

2 minutes ago, robin4ever said:

Tells me if we competed financially  we would have signed Bennett. Again I think this proves our wage cap is preventing us from strengthening our startin 11. When   you leave your business this late in the season you pay either over generous fees or agents fees or both. Explains SC being in a sulk in the summer

No good ***** sulking. I think he needs a dose of 'realism'. 

Did he really think, with FFP, we could out compete ex- premiership clubs with their massive parachute payments? 

Everything I hear just demonstrates that our transfer strategy since last April has been fundamentally flawed.

Sometimes I despair of my Club. 

Can I assume that IF Garita does get used out of having to ( nice confidence booster for the new young lad, perhaps that won't get translated for him ) IF he did fine he wouldn't get shipped off to U 21? I know it's an if but what if it's a but he does alright.

3 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

To be fair though, the Jan transfer window is always like this, agents and players waiting for the best deal, stirring up hysteria, desperation and therefore price.

Not much the clubs can do about it, they hold less cards in Jan. So you play the game, or get out.

It's true.  But I'd also argue this is also why it's a massive strategic failure to find yourself banking on multiple new signings in January to save your season.  We're paying the price for our mistakes during the summer.  I strongly suggest that price will be League One. 

It must be brilliantly satisfying to pluck a non league gem type player up and sell him for millions to fund the clubs season, but how many times does it happen. And even more telling how many times does it happen to us. This seems to be why both the manager and the chairman are hoping for, or banking on.

We are doing it the SoD way I think, gazing off into the distance not realising our footing isn't firm. No that's not really fair i think they must realise.We certainly didn't plan for our time in the Championship never mind staying there. All we can do is throw money at players Agents, we have lost our attractiveness, but I can't see us doing that as we might as well have done that in the summer and actually got who we wanted.

i feel quite depressed.

1 minute ago, Doozerchris said:

Yep.....Then the new guy comes in ( on the cheap ) and he also gets nothing to compete with

"Nothing to compete with" is relative.  You can get a perfectly decent weekly shop in Lidl as long as you don't have your heart set on luxury items from Waitrose.  I'm sure there are players who can come in on a similar wage to our existing squad who could do a job in the Championship.  The tricky part is finding them, trusting they'll come and trusting the right players to be good enough. 

Just now, Davefevs said:

@Flagon if 20, gets a chance and does well, he'll stay in 1st team squad, unless someone better comes in (later in the window / loan).

Cotts isn't gonna shove him back in the u21s if he comes in and scores a few.

I hope so. Would love the magic of the FA Cup come to us

24 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

In regards to the Garita signing, it seems weird. If you're good enough a player, then being 20 shouldn't matter. Dele Alli is 19 and tearing up the Prem, so why are we throwing him in the U-21's as soon as our numbers go back up?

If Garita is good enough then surely he'd go straight into the first team.

I don't understand Cott's way of thinking sometimes, I really don't. 

He might surprise a few as an unknown but he has something like 6 career goals so he , like Wes Burns , has n't really launched his career yet and it's doubtful that he'd be ready for regular first team appearances without a period of adjustment.

16 minutes ago, Honiton Tony said:

Sounds like cotts has lost it he should just go and leave this mess for the next man to sort out

How has he lost it ??? He can't spend what he has not got .... Are you honestly saying that SL would happily pay 15 /20 k a week to a player but sc is saying no he would rather get players under 10 k a week ????? 

I really feel we have been sold down the river. Surely with crowds exceeding 15000 per game, increased revenue from food outlets, sports bar, cafe, club shop, sponsorship, sky money, league payments etc we should be able to afford a squad of at least 20 first team players. Yet the squad is thinner than last year which was a gamble then. Therefore have we spent all the budget increase on pay rises for the existing players? Did we offer big increases to get them to sign? The last time in the championship was a disaster at the end as we had too many unhappy players. Now we don't have enough unhappy player!! I am angry with the whole situation!! 

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

He might surprise a few as an unknown but he has something like 6 career goals so he , like Wes Burns , has n't really launched his career yet and it's doubtful that he'd be ready for regular first team appearances without a period of adjustment.

I'd leave him on the bench and tell him to eyeball Pulis for the 90 minutes

2 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

It gets more obvious by the day that SC & SL can't / won't work together

Two different stories out there, both can't be true

Actually, having read recent contributions from the two posters I trust most to be 'in the know', one from SL's perspective and one from SC, I actually think both stories are true, at least to the relevant person's perspective... 

1 minute ago, Woodsy said:

It gets more obvious by the day that SC & SL can't / won't work together

Two different stories out there, both can't be true

If we can't compete in this division now, we might as well go back down and be successful in the lower leagues. If SL wont invest now, whats to say he will next season IF we stay up?

Just now, LondonBristolian said:

Actually, having read recent contributions from the two posters I trust most to be 'in the know', one from SL's perspective and one from SC, I actually think both stories are true, at least to the relevant person's perspective... 

Yep - I know what you're saying there LB, which leads be back to my first point. I just don't think they can work together anymore

Archived