IGNORED

Todays Press Conference.

Selred

22 minutes ago, joshthomson said:

We still have 23 days. Yes we have important games in that period, but I would rather bring in the quality which we are surely aiming for than any random lie league fill ins. 

And remember although Gayle or gray would have been great in the summer. Kodjia wouldn't be half the player he is now if they had signed. No way would Cotterill started the season with Gayle/Gray and kodjia up top.

I agree with you - BUT problem is define the quality we are looking for. The approach to transfers  is all over the place - almost desperate. You cant tell me the quality is a Lique 3 player who is untried at any serious level. We are also being linked to premier league strikers. Either the club can compete or it cannot. It appears a directionless approach with some weasel words being thrown in by SC and SL which suggest we are waiting for top players. We are clearly not.  We are deploying a scatter gun approach....

Kodja has shown immense promise but the only reason he is at BCFC is he cannot finish... he needs 4 or 5 chances to score, which is not good enough. He could have had 20 goals this season already.  That is ultimately why we are in the bottom 3. Do we really think a player from a lower league is going to improve us. No. Hell of a gamble not just a punt....

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

The financial excuse on Bennett doesn't sit right with me. 

Bennett is an average championship player. No disrespect to him, but that's what he is. Nothing amazing but not too shabby either. 

Lansdown said that we could match the wage demands of both Gray and Gayle, who are both better players than Bennett. 

I can't see Blackburn throwing ludicrous wages to get Bennett, certainly not so ludicrous that we couldn't match it if we wanted him that badly (especially as Baker is apparently here because Birmingham couldn't match what we are paying him)

Smacks to me of Cotts not wanting to say 'he'd much rather play for Paul Lambert'. 

I don't think it's just that, Blackburn are nailed on to be playing championship football next season whereas we are not.

9 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Bennett is an average championship player. No disrespect to him, but that's what he is. Nothing amazing but not too shabby either. 

Lansdown said that we could match the wage demands of both Gray and Gayle, who are both better players than Bennett. 

I can't see Blackburn throwing ludicrous wages to get Bennett, certainly not so ludicrous that we couldn't match it if we wanted him that badly (especially as Baker is apparently here because Birmingham couldn't match what we are paying him)

Smacks to me of Cotts not wanting to say 'he'd much rather play for Paul Lambert'. 

I think you have it.... The rest is just a smokescreen to save face.

This French lad might be ok, though from what I've read on here the standard he comes from is not very good, so we shall see.

But it is beyond belief that while we are struggling to find a new striker, amongst other positions, that Wes has not even been given a chance. 

Perhaps he can't cut it at this level, though I personally doubt that, but why on earth has he not been tried. At least we would know what he is or isn't capable of.

Cotts has done wonders here, but he's completely baffled me on the (non) use of his squad.

It's pretty obvious why our deals won't be done till later in January, if we are interested in a player, then the selling club has to also look for someone before that player leaves his club. It creates a chain of transfers.

Times that by possibly 4-5 players that we maybe after and we should all understand why these transfers will take time.

15 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

But FFS, Bennett has just got a new kitchen yet despite that Cotts still couldn't persuade him to stay. Unbelieveable.

30 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Do you believe everything you read on a forum?

The fact is, nobody knows the truth and you're all getting your knickers in a twist based purely on conjecture, assumptions and fans frustrated opinions

Of course not.

I don't believe either the owner or manager are honest all of the time, either.

1 hour ago, Chairman Mao said:

wait, so we throw around £9 million in summer

and apparently don't have any money for transfers? wtf?

and if we say we have 80million for transfers....what do you think will happen? its a transfer window things said could maybe, be for other clubs benefit do you think?

4 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

It's pretty obvious why our deals won't be done till later in January, if we are interested in a player, then the selling club has to also look for someone before that player leaves his club. It creates a chain of transfers.

Times that by possibly 4-5 players that we maybe after and we should all understand why these transfers will take time.

Like we did when we replaced Cunningh... Oh, wait.

Or when Blackburn shifted out all their right wingers before signing Benne... Oh, wait.

Or wen Derby sold all their forwards just before snagging Blackma... Oh, wait.

I don't believe it has anything to do with shifting out players first; it is about getting the player you want, and that relies on selling them the club and money.

And let's not shit ourselves here; in the summer we rid ourselves of enough to players to happily recruit without shipping people out, so being that to start these chain of move someone needs to have space, then why on earth are WE not the ones making the moves?

It's not like we've been linked with essential first team players all this time; even Gray was openly being touted as available by Brentford - it's not rocket science to work out the problem is US.  WE are the ones not taking the plunge.

2 minutes ago, samo II said:

Or when Blackburn shifted out all their right wingers before signing Benne... Oh, wait.

I don't believe it has anything to do with shifting out players first; it is about getting the player you want, and that relies on selling them the club and money.

And let's not shit ourselves here; in the summer we rid ourselves of enough to players to happily recruit without shipping people out, so being that to start these chain of move someone needs to have space, then why on earth are WE not the ones making the moves?

It's not like we've been linked with essential first team players all this time; even Gray was openly being touted as available by Brentford - it's not rocket science to work out the problem is US.  WE are the ones not taking the plunge.

Actually I think your point is very similar to @Portland Bills. 

He didn't say it was about clubs getting rid of players first, he said it was about them getting in the replacements first so they don't end up in a situation like us when we got rid of Cunningham. 

For example the Derby situation, getting Blackman in means someone like Bent may now be available, however Bent wouldn't of been available until Blackman was signed.

42 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

The fact is, nobody knows the truth and you're all getting your knickers in a twist based purely on conjecture, assumptions and fans frustrated opinions

And, based on what happened the last opportunity we had to recruit and strengthen what we had.

We are all getting very excited about the signing of a French third division striker who has 6 goals in 29 professional appearances

Just imagine the level of excitement there would be if we signed a Welsh u21 international striker who has 6 goals from only 14 international appearances, and also has been in the full Welsh squad in the European qualification matches

Oh hang on a moment ........

2 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Just watched the interview with cotts, strangely it was the most upbeat he's been in months!!!!

Lets not let reality get in the way of panic

42 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

lets not let facts get in the way of some opinions

Just now, Selred said:

Actually I think your point is very similar to @Portland Bills. 

He didn't say it was about clubs getting rid of players first, he said it was about them getting in the replacements first so they don't end up in a situation like us when we got rid of Cunningham. 

For example the Derby situation, getting Blackman in means someone like Bent may now be available, however Bent wouldn't of been available until Blackman was signed.

Which leave the question; why if our strategy of doing this (i.e. waiting patiently while these clubs bolster their teams before selling to little old us) didn't work this summer (which it didn't; we are as weak now as we where then) are we thinking it will work out now, in what is always a less logical and more panicked period?

At some point we need to stop waiting around for other clubs, and either move on quicker, or look elsewhere.  Because at this rate we'll struggle to name 11 players we own in 6 months time.

I'm sorry, but I look at sides lacking our resources who are being proactive and I seriously doubt this has anything to do with anyone other than Bristol City sitting on their hands.

59 minutes ago, joshthomson said:

We still have 23 days. Yes we have important games in that period, but I would rather bring in the quality which we are surely aiming for than any random lie league fill ins. 

And remember although Gayle or gray would have been great in the summer. Kodjia wouldn't be half the player he is now if they had signed. No way would Cotterill started the season with Gayle/Gray and kodjia up top.

The problem is that even if we wait until near the end of the transfer window there are still NO GUARANTEES that the players we want are not going to sign for QPR .

Then what ? We turn to loans , how many loans are we allowed now ? Again absolutely no guarantee that we'll get what we need in the loan market .

So we turn where ? The academy  :rofl2br:

Take the Kermorgant situation , Eddie Howe is n't in a hurry to sell , may be he'll play in the cup ...

If Cotterill still wants the guy he should make an offer so attractive that Bournemouth and the player fall over themselves to sign if not ,forget him go onto a target who is motivated to take their chance at BCFC .

I started the Lansdown's cunning plan thread more in jest than anything ,now  i fear he may just think that i had something  ! :shocking:

2 hours ago, marmite said:

The money men will decide whether its better value to gamble on paying higher fees and wages now,  which may not work out, or to go back down where we can compete financially. If the club was surprised at the wages being paid in the Championship, Heaven help us if we get to the Prem.

Prem? hahahaha... 

2 minutes ago, samo II said:

Which leave the question; why if our strategy of doing this (i.e. waiting patiently while these clubs bolster their teams before selling to little old us) didn't work this summer (which it didn't; we are as weak now as we where then) are we thinking it will work out now, in what is always a less logical and more panicked period?

At some point we need to stop waiting around for other clubs, and either move on quicker, or look elsewhere.  Because at this rate we'll struggle to name 11 players we own in 6 months time.

I'm sorry, but I look at sides lacking our resources who are being proactive and I seriously doubt this has anything to do with anyone other than Bristol City sitting on their hands.

Yes it completely backfired in the summer; especially with Kermogant. I'm just hoping Bournemouth sign El Shaarawy ASAP and we see some early movement for him. I'm hoping the summer shambles won't happen again, but not so sure.

My main concern is Cotterill is waiting for more high profile players again hence why these deals take longer; rather than the likes of MK Dons and Preston who are signing IMO poorer quality players like Cox, Robinson, Adam Reach, James Husband. 

4 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

We are all getting very excited about the signing of a French third division striker who has 6 goals in 29 professional appearances

Just imagine the level of excitement there would be if we signed a Welsh u21 international striker who has 6 goals from only 14 international appearances, and also has been in the full Welsh squad in the European qualification matches

Oh hang on a moment ........

And this is where it all falls down for the manager and any sympathy people may have for him.  He has had half a season to give Burns a go.  He has his self professed excuses all lined up about bigger fish, financial constraints blah blah blah to fall back on but he still will not give this lad a run in the team.  Once the manager has tried all available options then he has the right to criticise others, but the one dimensional, de ja vu approach to date is beyond frustration.

PNE have 10 more points than us, I truly believe 75% of City fans would be OK with that position, but the manager can only keep banging on about parachute payments, Boro, Derby, Burnley to hide this own failings. 

4 minutes ago, samo II said:

The thing is, if ( let's say) Newcastle offered us 10 million for Kodja today, would be let him go tomorrow, or wait until later in January when we could line up a replacement? It's obvious that we would wait isn't it.

So, if we have bid 5 million for ( let's say) a Walsall striker, they would do exactly what we would do and get a replacement before selling to us, this would be later in January. People on here need to take a deep breath and calm down, the January transfer window goes on for the whole month!

1 minute ago, Selred said:

Yes it completely backfired in the summer; especially with Kermogant. I'm just hoping Bournemouth sign El Shaarawy ASAP and we see some early movement for him. I'm hoping the summer shambles won't happen again, but not so sure.

My main concern is Cotterill is waiting for more high profile players again hence why these deals take longer; rather than the likes of MK Dons and Preston who are signing IMO poorer quality players like Cox, Robinson, Adam Reach, James Husband.

Bournemouth have also had a bid for Lewis Grabban turned down so I would expect Kermogant to be on his way, hopefully here, but I fear somewhere like Sheff Wed.

22 minutes ago, samo II said:

You obviously haven't understood what I wrote!

53 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

I think today's press conference confirms that from top to bottom the club is out of ideas and out of its depth. I refuse to acknowledge that a club in our position can't do better in the window. 

Has anyone messaged the club? an open letter maybe from one of the better writers on here, lets get our feelings across that we're appalled with how this club is being ran?

19 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Lets not let reality get in the way of panic

lets not let facts get in the way of some opinions

Some facts, then:

Three loanees departed. One returned.

One senior goalkeeper.

4 wins in 24

Worst goal difference in the division

Third bottom

Half the season gone

Owner saying money is there to spend, manager saying we can't compete financially.

Manager says "no" when asked if he has any irons in the fire (perhaps Cotts doesn't "get" metaphors?)

Two permanent signings last "window." One of which, long since departed.

Huge new stand towering over the ground.

Tony Pulis is horrible

5 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

Has anyone messaged the club? an open letter maybe from one of the better writers on here, lets get our feelings across that we're appalled with how this club is being ran?

Thing is…even if this happened do we think anyone running the club would give two hoots? I'm not sure we're supporting a club where the people in charge care a great deal about what the folk on the terraces think. We serve a function…and that function is not offering advice…it's definitely not that...

Archived