IGNORED

Zach clough

Cobby the red

Just now, formerly known as ivan said:

Thinking about this one, should be sorted fairly quickly.

SL to get on the phone first thing tomorrow: 'Mr Clough, will you be joining us?'

If yes then medical and wages sorted tomorrow. If not sure or a no then move onto the next one. Let's not waste weeks chasing after him if he doesn't want to be here or is waiting to see if a better offer comes along.

If we refuse to sign players who aren't immediately sure they want to play for Bristol City, or are interested in getting the best deal for themselves they can then this window will be no more successful than the last one...

The idea that players should be wildly excited that we come in for them and know immediately they want to join is so weird to me - this is their livelihood don't forget, it's not necessarily a case that he doesn't want to be here but I expect a few of us would perhaps like to think about a new job for a short while, or weigh up our options first

8 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Personally I don't care if he is pressurised into the move. In fact, I'm pretty sure that we wouldn't even be meeting him if he wasn't so we have to try and capitalise on the situation. 

I'm sure if he does sign that he'd be professional and get on with his job once it's done. 

I'm sure he would, but in not confident he'll get that chance from what we've seen.

And if his Dad thinks he can do better than us, or that he'd be better off with Bolton playing League One football than Championship-level with us, it doesn't strike me as a situation that suits anyone involved, and concerns me.

21 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

If we refuse to sign players who aren't immediately sure they want to play for Bristol City, or are interested in getting the best deal for themselves they can then this window will be no more successful than the last one...

The idea that players should be wildly excited that we come in for them and know immediately they want to join is so weird to me - this is their livelihood don't forget, it's not necessarily a case that he doesn't want to be here but I expect a few of us would perhaps like to think about a new job for a short while, or weigh up our options first

Yeah weigh up you options by all means. Would rather he thought it through and joined for the right reasons, but he has had a good few days to think about it now. If he is still unsure then there is obviously a reason for it, whether its ambitions, location or any other reason. So move onto the next. 

Would you wait for another week or two for him not to join and potentially miss out on others?

1 minute ago, samo II said:

I'm sure he would, but in not confident he'll get that chance from what we've seen.

And if his Dad thinks he can do better than us, or that he'd be better off with Bolton playing League One football than Championship-level with us, it doesn't strike me as a situation that suits anyone involved, and concerns me.

Trouble is if his son doesn't move, there may be no Bolton to play in League 1.

6 minutes ago, Turbored said:

His dad will always want to watch him play .. That's a given so for him to watch him week in week out will mean a lot more travelling every week if he signs for us. Does he not look forward to that lovely journey down the  M6/5 every week ...... 

he'll be renting out one of curbishleys pads up Clifton......no need to commute then

7 minutes ago, Turbored said:

His dad will always want to watch him play .. That's a given so for him to watch him week in week out will mean a lot more travelling every week if he signs for us. Does he not look forward to that lovely journey down the  M6/5 every week ...... 

Its pro football. Very few players stay with their local team for their entire career. Dad has to accept that if he wants him to progress eventually.

1 hour ago, Alex#40 said:

Just been reading his Twitter (zach's dad). He has liked tweets saying to reject us but also lots of tweets from respectful City fans saying nice things and posts about Bristol. He's just a dad looking out for his kid as we all would.

From what I can tell he is just liking any tweet that refers to his son ....so can't really infer anything from it!

Put yourself in the kids shoes, he gets called into the managers office. Gets told that we've bid for him and that he is free to go talk to us. In his head he thinks he could do better, not the worst thing in the world. Tells the manager no thanks would rather hold out but the response is along the lines of tough, we need the money, it could save the club, basically emotionally blackmailing him. With no other clubs taking the gamble, he's on his way down to most likely sign for us. Ultimately unless something 11th hour happens, his career will have to take a "side step" in his eyes. 

Thing is, if he knuckles down and bangs in the goals and performances, he'll get his dream move in no time.

11 minutes ago, RobArnold10 said:

Put yourself in the kids shoes, he gets called into the managers office. Gets told that we've bid for him and that he is free to go talk to us. In his head he thinks he could do better, not the worst thing in the world. Tells the manager no thanks would rather hold out but the response is along the lines of tough, we need the money, it could save the club, basically emotionally blackmailing him. With no other clubs taking the gamble, he's on his way down to most likely sign for us. Ultimately unless something 11th hour happens, his career will have to take a "side step" in his eyes. 

Thing is, if he knuckles down and bangs in the goals and performances, he'll get his dream move in no time.

My point exactly. Let`s hope he sees it that way too. He might resent the way it`s been done and hopefully have a `right, I`ll bloody show them they shouldn`t have got rid` attitude as well. I`m sure he`s been in and around the game for long enough now to know that there`s very little sentiment in football but must be upset at being the sacrifice.

4 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I don't get how bookies run a book on things where there is inside knowledge. Horses ,football and other sports are imponderables, BUT, someone will KNOW the outcome before it happens !

Remember our own Steve Cotterill and Howard Wilkinson going to Sunderland.  Some school kid had a £10er at 40-1.  Bookies laughed at him / her.  He / she was was the Chief Exec's kid!  He / she was defo ITK!

2 hours ago, Devereux said:

why would they go to the marriott? wouldn't they just negotiate at the gate? or training ground?

Or the Sports Bar....probably booked out for a private party!

Re Clough's position, could see Kodjia up top on his own, with Clough  right sided no10, and Freeman left sided no10?  Clough has the ability for those creative little passes in and around the box.

Just for info, anyone noticed that in the past two games, Kodjia has got on the end of two little chipped passes, got ahead of his marker, and almost scored twice (one offside, one side netting) - are they getting a bit more used to his runs?

If he signs we can expect to hear confirmation by tomorrow as I am sure he would go straight into the team for Preston and by all accounts the player was talking to the club today.  If he does not sign, then it is his loss. We cant do any more.  BCFC would be a great club to play for and he would be given the opportunity to make his mark. He is not going to get that with a prem lge team. It is a real shame at some of the posts about Bristol and the club... Bolton is not exactly the cote d'azur after all.... Bolton has a great history but some of their fans comments show a lack of class....

I think the most important point here is money. 

You'd reckon as a Bolton youngster he's going to be on 2.5k-5k Max. 

At 2m, you'd suspect he's going to at least double the top end of that. Sentiment is one thing, but a top end Audi 4x4 will probably help him get over missing his  family!

Just now, MarkRed! said:

If he signs we can expect to hear confirmation by tomorrow as I am sure he would go straight into the team for Preston and by all accounts the player was talking to the club today.  If he does not sign, then it is his loss. We cant do any more.  BCFC would be a great club to play for and he would be given the opportunity to make his mark. He is not going to get that with a prem lge team. It is a real shame at some of the posts about Bristol and the club... Bolton is not exactly the cote d'azur after all.... Bolton has a great history but some of their fans comments show a lack of class....

interestingly from what I can make out there is only one offer on the table and Bolton's need is dire, I wonder how those fans would feel if he refuses to sign and the club goes under as a result?, interest from clubs won't pay their bills and other clubs will undoubtedly offer less than we have because they can, Bolton have to sell more than a couple and offload others immediately.

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

interestingly from what I can make out there is only one offer on the table and Bolton's need is dire, I wonder how those fans would feel if he refuses to sign and the club goes under as a result?, interest from clubs won't pay their bills and other clubs will undoubtedly offer less than we have because they can, Bolton have to sell more than a couple and offload others immediately.

Some Bolton fans have been saying how they'd understand if he left, as it is clear he's not pushed for it, and as had been said; they seriously need the money.

Sure some won't understand but that's football.  As I've said; my most pressing concern is I don't think his nearest and dearest like the idea of him heading to us.

Archived