IGNORED

Zach clough

Cobby the red

4 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

This whole ghastly business seems to have ground to a halt.

Really hope that one day our Club will learn something from past mistakes

If he doesn't sign that doesn't necessarily mean there's been mistakes made. It would very likely be him not wanting to relocate so far. It has been mentioned previously on here that his agent was happy with the deal (and presumably his fee!).

42 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Given the speed that a person's so-called opinions and character however reliably reported are flashed across the Globe these days, makes me wonder whether it isn't with talking to the player's agent to find out if there is a hope in hell of him coming to City BEFORE making ourselves look like prats in putting in a futile bid?

You can't talk to the agent until the owning club have given you permission (when u get a bid accepted)

otherwise you are "tapping up" the player. 

Shame really because would save a lot of dicking about as you rightly said. 

8 minutes ago, Red Army 87 said:

If he doesn't sign that doesn't necessarily mean there's been mistakes made. It would very likely be him not wanting to relocate so far. It has been mentioned previously on here that his agent was happy with the deal (and presumably his fee!).

Absolutely agree mate. But the ZC business is the latest in a series of deals that have gone badly wrong. We just don't seem to do our homework and there are millions of quids in play in these deals?! Weren't you thinking that cherry-picking Bolton's best might seem like an obvious move but maybe not an appropriate one for Bristol City given that we are also relegation candidates?

Look somewhere else that's safer instead?

I wonder if one of our tactics this time is to offer the agent a sizable % to get him encouraging ZC to do the deal. I remember SL mentioning in one of his recent interviews that one of the reasons things may not have gone well in the summer was they may not have paid the agents enough (to encourage them to close the deal out). Now SL may have said this a little tongue-in-cheek, but then today Stockhausen and others have said that the agent is really pushing for this deal to happen.

1 minute ago, southvillekiddy said:

Absolutely agree mate. But the ZC business is the latest in a series of deals that have gone badly wrong. We just don't seem to do our homework and there are millions of quids in play in these deals?! Weren't you thinking that cherry-picking Bolton's best might seem like an obvious move but maybe not an appropriate one for Bristol City given that we are also delegation candidates? Look somewhere else that's safer instead?

I think we were all a bit surprised by this one and some of the other names linked over the weekend. In comparison to the others around us we do have some financial muscle (I think that wages dictated John Pellings "bottom 6 budget" comment), and at this stage of the window I think it is a positive that we are trying to get players that some would see as out of our reach.

All it takes is one to sign for others to follow and ZC would be a big statement of intent.

If ZC turns us down and we don't seem to have a alternative lined up, then I agree that we should possible switch to more "realistic targets", whatever that is at the moment!

2 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Maybe this was an elaborate time wasting ploy to ease BWFC into oblivion while we really look elsewhere?

But if they go bust.. that's not in our favour. Giving them money allows them to go into Admin. No money = HMRC winding up order.

7 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

You can't talk to the agent until the owning club have given you permission (when u get a bid accepted)

otherwise you are "tapping up" the player. 

Shame really because would save a lot of dicking about as you rightly said. 

Thanks mate. I meant that the agent and player could be sounded out thoroughly as to there likely intentions before making a bid of millions of quids.

When most of us get near to doing a decent sized deal e.g.. buying a house, we do a lot of finding out before we make a bid. e.g. are you in the market?

But really... What is a realistic target? Would you really all prefer we hadn't bothered with Gray, with Gayle, with Clough?

Cotts is clearly trying to get the right people In here. And if we're not paying over the odds in wages then I commend that. 

Would you rather be in Bolton's perilous situation, or playing league one football? I'll support City wherever we play, but I'd rather we not spend so much money that it jeopardises the future of the club. 

Players will always come and go. Our club will always be there. If, it's run well. 

If I had adopted a similar approach to this with women then I'd be married to a pig. You don't ask, you don't get. 

2 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

But if they go bust.. that's not in our favour. Giving them money allows them to go into Admin. No money = HMRC winding up order.

Are all their assets frozen then, ie players are commodities which have value cannot be sold until they appoint a receiver or something?

5 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

But really... What is a realistic target? Would you really all we hadn't bothered with Gray, with Gayle, with Clough?

Cotts is clearly trying to get the right people I here. And if we're not paying over the odds in wages then I commend that. 

Would you rather be in Bolton's perilous situation, or playing league one football? I'll support City wherever we play, but I'd rather we not spend so much money that it jeopardises the future of the club. 

Players will always come and go. Our club will always be there. If, it's run well. 

Beats me mate. But I'm not doing the job of running a football Club full-time. But I can see when my Club have made 3 massive miss-judgements that have made us look silly and appear to have compounded the problem of players not wanting to come to us. 

6 minutes ago, RedM said:

Are all their assets frozen then, ie players are commodities which have value cannot be sold until they appoint a receiver or something?

Their players may make Bolton money through sales/transfer fees, but legally they are not "assets" in terms of insolvency, just employees. There is no reason players cannot be sold between now and the club entering administration

2 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

But I can see when my Club have made 3 massive miss-judgements that have made us look silly.

In the same way I can see that it's a sure fire winning accumulator to back Oxford to beat Swansea, Exeter to hold Liverpool and us to draw with baggies?

Bit confused by this sudden conviction that the deal's off.  In this context, no news is no news.  It means nothing.  Especially as the Bristol City way is not to announce playing arrivals until the paperwork's been signed and the player's been photographed in a Bristol City shirt.  If he was in Bolton this morning then, even if he said yes at midday, it'd probably take three hours + to get to Bristol plus a couple of hours of faffing to get the photo done.  And that's if he didn't spend some time packing a case and saying goodbye to friends.

Remember if he does say yes, there's absolutely no rush to get the deal done, especially if we've missed the Preston registration deadline.  

I'm not saying he's definitely coming but I am saying it's daft to read anything into the fact there's no announcement yet.  If he's not been unveiled by tomorrow's Preston game then we can maybe assume this isn't happening.  For now we can assume nothing except that we're a massively impatient bunch. 

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

In the same way I can see that it's a sure fire winning accumulator to back Oxford to beat Swansea, Exeter to hold Liverpool and us to draw with baggies?

Football games are 90 minutes where anything can and does happen.

I'm baffled that highly paid staff on the business side of football are regularly inept.

15 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

as I was about to get home after the school run I was hoisted away to collect someone from Heathrow and have just walked in..................is he coming or not or do we start another thread about  the next 'possible ' purchase, please update me

Is he coming?

"Yes, no, possibly" is a fair summary

He currently thinking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqH21LEmfbQ

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Bit confused by this sudden conviction that the deal's off.  In this context, no news is no news.  It means nothing.  Especially as the Bristol City way is not to announce playing arrivals until the paperwork's been signed and the player's been photographed in a Bristol City shirt.  If he was in Bolton this morning then, even if he said yes at midday, it'd probably take three hours + to get to Bristol plus a couple of hours of faffing to get the photo done.  And that's if he didn't spend some time packing a case and saying goodbye to friends.

Remember if he does say yes, there's absolutely no rush to get the deal done, especially if we've missed the Preston registration deadline.  

I'm not saying he's definitely coming but I am saying it's daft to read anything into the fact there's no announcement yet.  If he's not been unveiled by tomorrow's Preston game then we can maybe assume this isn't happening.  For now we can assume nothing except that we're a massively impatient bunch. 

I really hope you are right mate. But then we have the confusion of the SC Tweet. Can anybody tell me if that was genuine?

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Fair points, but I don't think we're massively impatient.  We've waited long enough already for some good news to arrive :)

Archived