IGNORED

Little Lee

Mike Hunt-Hertz

46 minutes ago, cider city red 81 said:

Yep doing brilliantly 

'Doing brilliantly' in the last month, but even 5 straight wins have only taken Barnsley to mid table.

Before that struggling horribly on the edge of the relegation zone and rumoured to being one more defeat away from being sacked.

Right man, wrong time in my opinion. He's on a hiding to nothing and with our demanding fan base and his marmite status I can only see him setting up for a failure, unless he performs like none of us should expect that he would.

In another 24 months if he continues to show his abilities I hope we'd look to bring him in.That said, if he came in now I wouldn't be unhappy. He took over at Oldham and steadied the ship and progressed them - and they dropped when he went - and he now looks to be coming through adversity at Barnsley. I can see why we might be tempted and had he not been a former player scapegoat I'd probably advocate him now.

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

'Doing brilliantly' in the last month, but even 5 straight wins have only taken Barnsley to mid table.

Before that struggling horribly on the edge of the relegation zone and rumoured to being one more defeat away from being sacked.

He wasn't backed terribly well in the summer by all accounts and they still have an outside chance of making the play-offs. They are also one game away from making the FL Trophy Final at Wembley.

That said, I expected them to do better this season and he hasn't shown enough to suggest he's ready for the City job yet. One day though...

8 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

So was SIr Alex FergusOn at that cub in Salford

I can't think we'd be considering him at all but for his name and the fact we've heard 'the board' like him from his time here as a player.

It's one thing to earmark someone as a possible manager for the future on the basis he's someone you'd be happy working with but he really has to prove himself first.

May be the right man one day, now is definitely not the right time.

20 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Barnsley fans I know said he was still a long way from the sack. Chairman has a lot of faith in him.  If you look at the betting list he would be in my top three out of the realistic names mentioned

7 hours ago, DCT10 said:

The odds on Lee Johnson have fallen quickly today... 5/2 on skybet from 10's - he wouldn't be my pick, and we have seen Appleton, Pearson, Pearce all go to short odds before moving back out.

Pearson, Warnock, Pearce were all favourites according to the bookies at one point. Means absolutely nothing apart from that's where people are putting money on, even a small amount changes the odds. 

8 hours ago, spudski said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he came here...

Me neither.

Has two obvious advantages, the owner knows him and likes him and he would certainly fit the model that Mark Ashton is suggesting.

Under contract until 2018 but if Barnsley keep improving and we don't look like pulling clear he's a very likely candidate, I think.

8 minutes ago, Reds2016 said:

Favourite on skybet now :laugh:

I do like LLJ but I can't see him stood in front of our team giving a team talk. Pembo has at least got a presence about him and has some experience. It just is not a fit at this moment in time. If he can learn his trade and demonstrate what he can do and the potential to improve further, then maybe for the future.... but for now, it just doesn't add up!

1 hour ago, Dynamite Red said:

Hasn't achieved anything yet of note in his management career, only linked due to being a former player. If we are going for a lower league manager then Justin Edinburgh is a far better option.

Did really well considering budget restraints at Oldham. Could well have got them into the PO's, had it not been for the Ched Evans fiasco. Barnsley was a big jump for him, got a lot of draws towards end of last season, started this one off badly but their board obviously recognised his ability so stuck with him, now dark horses for the play-offs. Has his teams playing good football.

Not the finished package but knows our club well. Like I said in another post, I'm not confident the time is right but if it's between him, Pearce, Appleton or Pembo, I'd be happy with LJ.

Brendan Rodgers once singled him out (well, with someone else!!) as one of the best coaches in the lower leagues. So he must be good. ;)

I work in Barnsley and people here say they've been fantastic the last few weeks and even when results were awful, a lot of their fans recognised that he was trying to change the way they play and introduce a lot of new players. He was backed though, certainly in terms of wages, but he's put together a very, very young side

HOWEVER, for me it's too early for Lee to come here; not so much because we're so much bigger a job than Barnsley, but because for his own development he needs to go through the process of building and consolidating his team. In a couple of years he'll probably be very highly rated and very in demand IMO, but he's not the right fit for right now

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Me neither.

Has two obvious advantages, the owner knows him and likes him and he would certainly fit the model that Mark Ashton is suggesting.

Under contract until 2018 but if Barnsley keep improving and we don't look like pulling clear he's a very likely candidate, I think.

He's definitely a favourite down there...he'll end up with us at some point if another bigger team doesn't get him first.

5 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Be especially good if he was allowed to bring in his own backroom staff to reshape the club

Director of Football: Gary Johnson

Head Coach: Lee Johnson

Chief Scout: Pete Johnson

The Lansdown Dream Team

Here we go again:-

Mrs Gary Johnson   Pie Lady

Mrs Lee Johnson    In charge of programs

Family affair + Extended player contracts so we cant afford to shed the bad performers.....

Lets stick with what we have.....

7 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Be especially good if he was allowed to bring in his own backroom staff to reshape the club

Director of Football: Gary Johnson

Head Coach: Lee Johnson

Chief Scout: Pete Johnson

The Lansdown Dream Team

Shhhhhhh! @Robbored will have a field day!!!!!

To stick my 2 penneth in, LLJ made my toddler cry (Dean Gerken the giant, who was also stood with my little un, didn't surprisingly...) and when he learns to dress himself without looking like a tv presenter from a failed gameshow (greyish leather jacket, pink shirt, tan shoes and jeans!!!), he can come back...

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

Shhhhhhh! @Robbored will have a field day!!!!!

I don't consider little Lee to be in the same stable as his dad. 

I wouldn't have a problem with him as City manager - when he's achieved some standing in the managerial circus and worked in that role in the Championship. 

But, he's too inexperienced just now IMO.

I don't get all the so and so isn't experienced enough yet for such and such job in football.

How and where do you get experience to if the same people get the jobs all the time. We are a lower champ. L1 side so must be a perfect club to start a career in management at. John pemberton who has no experience in management , yet people say he's perfect for the job. Yet LJ has been a manager for at least 2 seasons now but hasn't the experience.

Archived