IGNORED

Where next for Cotterill?

Phileas Fogg

20 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Arguably our most successful manager for 40 years, but ok

You think he's our most successful manager of the last 40 years because of one promotion and a Mickey Mouse cup?!!

In my opinion, managers like Terry Cooper deserve to be called the most successful, we were finished when he took over but he provided a miracle, whilst also winning a Mickey Mouse trophy at Wembley.....

Head and shoulders above the Cotts achievement...

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You think he's our most successful manager of the last 40 years because of one promotion and a Mickey Mouse cup?!!

In my opinion, managers like Terry Cooper deserve to be called the most successful, we were finished when he took over but he provided a miracle, whilst also winning a Mickey Mouse trophy at Wembley.....

I didn't emphatically state that Cotts was our most successful, I said arguably. 

While we were nowhere near as 'finished' as a club when SC took over, we were certainly in a lowly place - both in terms of league position and morale among the fans - and within two seasons he won us our first title in something like 60 years. Oh and the Mickey Mouse trophy.

11 hours ago, NickJ said:

Massively agree with that.

It's because he is disliked, apparently.

Not by me, I'd buy him a pint if I met him.

Right up there with Cooper, Jordan and GJ for me.

What he did for us after 2 years of utter shite and tedium shouldn't be overlooked.

9 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Not by me, I'd buy him a pint if I met him.

Right up there with Cooper, Jordan and GJ for me.

What he did for us after 2 years of utter shite and tedium shouldn't be overlooked.

pint? Not a coffee?

21 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I'd support that. Cotterill delivered a fantastic season last season but no way was he the most successful manager in 40 years. Terry Cooper and Gary Johnson are far more deserving of that accolade.

I'm a critic of Cotterill. Not because I think he was a poor manager - because clearly he wasn't - but due to the fact that I think he made poor decisions - particularly this season. League positions don't lie and I'm afraid that after a great season last year this season - whilst he was here - was dreadful.

There may well be many other reasons for that but rightly or wrongly he's responsible - and paid handsomely for that I'm sure - so when the going gets tough, and when he showed no real ability to change things - his sacking was inevitable. Team performance, results, league position and the tantrum may well have demonstrated the true extent of his then ability.

Anyway I'm looking forward to next season - so much so we've bought another season ticket :yes:

4 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Question is... Why would you rule a manager out? It doesn't make much sense. Why haven't other managers been ruled out? Sounds like bitterness to me. 

when said manager has turned you down and you are trying to save face

1 hour ago, Selred said:

Can't argue with that.

I can!

The problem with any manager is that they're rarely around long enough to develop the yoof players particularly when under intense pressure to get results in the now. If the development squad isn't particularly high quality then any manager is going to look further afield. Mr Peterborough is hardly renown for his patience with his employees.

Surely it is the duty of the Chairman/owner to ensure the yoof system is good enough to produce players for the team? They can't have it both ways.

Anyroad, even the harshest critics on here would be unlikely to bet against SC doing a job for any club in L1so if this is the genuine reason then I think he's wrong. If it's because SC is a *****ly character then I'd understand his reluctance cos it would be even worse than my former marriage.

You can tell it really pained people that Steve Cotterill was a success at Bristol City. Fans at other clubs would give their right arm for the success he brought to this club buy instead we belittle his achievements.

Lets not forget what a state this club was before he arrived. We have a lot to thank him for. 

Doesn't seem to give his managers a lot of time to develop youth, unless they're called Darren Ferguson

Keith Alexander 30 May 2006 15 January 2007          
Tommy Taylor 15 January 2007 20 January 2007          
Darren Ferguson 21 January 2007 9 November 2009          
Mark Cooper 14 November 2009 1 February 2010          
Jim Gannon 2 February 2010 6 April 2010          
Gary Johnson 6 April 2010 10 January 2011          
David Oldfield 11 January 2011 11 January 2011          
Darren Ferguson 12 January 2011 21 February 2015          
Dave Robertson 21 February 2015 6 September 2015          
Graham Westley 25 September 2015 23 April 2016

41 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I can!

The problem with any manager is that they're rarely around long enough to develop the yoof players particularly when under intense pressure to get results in the now. If the development squad isn't particularly high quality then any manager is going to look further afield. Mr Peterborough is hardly renown for his patience with his employees.

Surely it is the duty of the Chairman/owner to ensure the yoof system is good enough to produce players for the team? They can't have it both ways.

Anyroad, even the harshest critics on here would be unlikely to bet against SC doing a job for any club in L1so if this is the genuine reason then I think he's wrong. If it's because SC is a *****ly character then I'd understand his reluctance cos it would be even worse than my former marriage.

For me the fact Cotts decided an empty space on the bench if better than a youth player proves he isn't keen on youth. 

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

explain giving bryan reid burns williams all starts then 

I'm not having that as an argument. They all had experience before Cotts, hardly like he gave them their debuts.

To be fair he gave Morrell his debut, but that was it.

5 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Joe Morrell's appearance in the JPT was under SO'D.

Then Cotts gave no player their debut for City. Surely in 2 years no-one can argue that this is very poor proof he doesn't promote youth.

12 minutes ago, Selred said:

For me the fact Cotts decided an empty space on the bench if better than a youth player proves he isn't keen on youth. 

That's not really the point I was making Selred. It was about MacAnthony stating this was the reason he wouldn't take SC.

I'd agree that SC chose not to "promote youth" in the same way he chose not to utilise subs. Both strategies worked really well for 2 seasons. He did send Bobby out on a long term loan and he has come back a better player so not all bad.

1 minute ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Maybe because our youth aren't very good. 

And this is probably the case.

SC, or someone like him, was necessary appointment when made but he should have gone before start of season or at least by Christmas.

Surely it wasn't SL's view that SC could do more for us than get us out of division 1. The problem for SL was that SC achieved promotion sooner than anticipated and we were lumbered this season

Good luck to him in seeking a new job - as long as it is far away from us

Archived