IGNORED

Where next for Cotterill?

Phileas Fogg

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

SC, or someone like him, was necessary appointment when made but he should have gone before start of season or at least by Christmas.

Surely it wasn't SL's view that SC could do more for us than get us out of division 1. The problem for SL was that SC achieved promotion sooner than anticipated and we were lumbered this season

Good luck to him in seeking a new job - as long as it is far away from us

Your such a clever bugger in hindsight.

2 hours ago, Selred said:

For me the fact Cotts decided an empty space on the bench if better than a youth player proves he isn't keen on youth. 

Never proof of not being keen on youth.

Proof of having lost his mind. Or making playground points.

Either way it's no longer relevant. Better off without him I say.

Oh hang on. I can hear the tap tap tapping on keyboards now...

Best manager for years. Secured promotion. Won a cup.....

4 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

SC, or someone like him, was necessary appointment when made but he should have gone before start of season or at least by Christmas.

Surely it wasn't SL's view that SC could do more for us than get us out of division 1. The problem for SL was that SC achieved promotion sooner than anticipated and we were lumbered this season

Good luck to him in seeking a new job - as long as it is far away from us

We'd have been an absolute laughing stock if we'd sacked him before the start of the season. That sort of action would do wonders for our ability to attract managers and players.

It was right that he went when he did but the lack of gratitude that some people show the bloke is an absolute disgrace. 

Not great on youth here, but our 21s arent great. He did give Wes quite a few games & made Bryan a very good player.

Place on the bench being left empty really wound me up, but perhaps that was his way of having a moan at the board for not getting players in. 

2 minutes ago, Gilts said:

Not great on youth here, but our 21s arent great. He did give Wes quite a few games & made Bryan a very good player.

Place on the bench being left empty really wound me up, but perhaps that was his way of having a moan at the board for not getting players in. 

Agreed, a petty move, boiled my piss too. Who knows what went on behind the scenes but I love him for last season and hope to forget his intransigence this.

18 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

We'd have been an absolute laughing stock if we'd sacked him before the start of the season. That sort of action would do wonders for our ability to attract managers and players.

It was right that he went when he did but the lack of gratitude that some people show the bloke is an absolute disgrace. 

Watford did it at the start of this season, barely anyone remembers. 

19 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

We'd have been a professional outfit that did the right thing.  Did his job, got paid, and done, no room for sentiment.  Jobs in the 'real' world don't work on sentiment.

On 25 April 2016 at 09:10, glynriley said:

Not by me, I'd buy him a pint if I met him.

Right up there with Cooper, Jordan and GJ for me.

What he did for us after 2 years of utter shite and tedium shouldn't be overlooked.

I agree he's up there with Jordan and GJ but not TC who is way, way above those three for me for what he achieved.

Took over as manager of a club in absolute financial meltdown and turmoil, stabilised, won promotion, took us to Wembley - with virtually zero transfer budget.

TC would hire a van out of his own pocket to help our bargain basement signings move to Bristol, he totally immersed himself into every bit of the club to see where he could make a small but significant difference.

To me he is an absolute BCFC hero for what he achieved in the circumstances in which he had to work. He lived and breathed every aspect of our club and when our fans rioted at Reading in 1984 TC was in amongst the travelling hordes begging them to stop.

He loved our club and we loved him - simple as that. His post match interview after we won 3-0 at Wembley in 1986 still makes me shed tears. I'll say it again, TC loved us and we loved him back....legend, true legend...

My point about beginning of season relates to a clear problem betweenSL and SC over transfers.  My point is SL should have acted then; SL didn't need hindsight merely good management skills,.  

My point about Christmas was not hindsight because I was saying on Otib months before that he should go,and,incidentaly, was much abused for my views at the time.

I can be accused of wanting SC out earlier than most and I can be accused of being unsentimental re last season's success but I can't be accused either of hindsight or cleverness merely of being practical and consistent in my views and proved right by events

Here ends the case for the defence!

Let's move on; I for one have had more than enough of SC this season

3 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

My point about beginning of season relates to a clear problem betweenSL and SC over transfers.  My point is SL should have acted then; SL didn't need hindsight merely good management skills,.  

My point about Christmas was not hindsight because I was saying on Otib months before that he should go,and,incidentaly, was much abused for my views at the time.

I can be accused of wanting SC out earlier than most and I can be accused of being unsentimental re last season's success but I can't be accused either of hindsight or cleverness merely of being practical and consistent in my views and proved right by events

Here ends the case for the defence!

Let's move on; I for one have had more than enough of SC this season

What an extraordinary post!

1 hour ago, The dastardly red said:

What an extraordinary post!

It was obvious from the beginning of the season that the relationship had broken down, the loss of momentum was horrendous.  I'm not apportioning blame as I'm not ITK but in that circumstance he should have resigned with dignity or got sacked.  We really did get away with this season, and it seems like more by luck than judgement

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I agree he's up there with Jordan and GJ but not TC who is way, way above those three for me for what he achieved.

Took over as manager of a club in absolute financial meltdown and turmoil, stabilised, won promotion, took us to Wembley - with virtually zero transfer budget.

TC would hire a van out of his own pocket to help our bargain basement signings move to Bristol, he totally immersed himself into every bit of the club to see where he could make a small but significant difference.

To me he is an absolute BCFC hero for what he achieved in the circumstances in which he had to work. He lived and breathed every aspect of our club and when our fans rioted at Reading in 1984 TC was in amongst the travelling hordes begging them to stop.

He loved our club and we loved him - simple as that. His post match interview after we won 3-0 at Wembley in 1986 still makes me shed tears. I'll say it again, TC loved us and we loved him back....legend, true legend...

Totally agree with this, TC will always be a legend to me for pretty much single-handedly ensuring I still have a club to support. If anyone deserves that sometimes nowadays over-used description, it`s him.

Thank you TC for everything you did back then - you will never be forgotten by anyone who went through it with you.

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Wouldn't disagree mate. TC will always be my favourite City manager for all the reasons you've stated above. It was, albeit during the worst period in the clubs history on the field, a brilliant time to be a supporter. I put SC in the bracket with the others mainly for the memories he's left us with.

Nobody will ever come close to TC in acheiving what he did, and I bloody well hope they don't have to!

I've long said on here I think we should have a stand, or at the very least, a bar or lounge named after TC. I just hope when/if they do, Terry is still around to cut the ribbon.

19 hours ago, RumRed said:

It was obvious from the beginning of the season that the relationship had broken down, the loss of momentum was horrendous.  I'm not apportioning blame as I'm not ITK but in that circumstance he should have resigned with dignity or got sacked.  We really did get away with this season, and it seems like more by luck than judgement

Boooo

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 10:11, Phileas Fogg said:

I wonder where SC will end up next?

Can't see him staying out of management for long, especially as his stock is pretty high at the moment after last season.

Not that many vacancies about at the moment, he's 33/1 for the Leyton Orient post but I think he could do a bit better than that.

I can eventually see him returning to Cheltenham. Maybe if they get promoted and GJ gets poached by someone.

Where do we reckon SC will end up?

Peterborough are looking for a Manager who is

1; out of work, so no compo to be paid to a current club and

2; has a record of getting promoted out of League 1.

My son is a ST holder at London Road and he thinks it will either be SC, or they'll appoint Darren Fergusson a third time. (Better the devil you know etc).

23 hours ago, glynriley said:

Wouldn't disagree mate. TC will always be my favourite City manager for all the reasons you've stated above. It was, albeit during the worst period in the clubs history on the field, a brilliant time to be a supporter. I put SC in the bracket with the others mainly for the memories he's left us with.

Nobody will ever come close to TC in acheiving what he did, and I bloody well hope they don't have to!

I've long said on here I think we should have a stand, or at the very least, a bar or lounge named after TC. I just hope when/if they do, Terry is still around to cut the ribbon.

They're getting rid of the legends names from the stands. Don't think you'd have much chance of that! 

With the dust settling on this season, I have zero doubt that there will be a number of jobs out there that would suit SC down to the ground.

It's been spoken about repeatedly on here, but a side like Sheffield United are crying out for the type of leadership and direction he gave us; they will always have decent resources for League One level (certainly comparable to our own when in that division), and have now missed out on the playoffs for the second time in three seasons - not really acceptable for their supporters, certainly not now Wedneday look to be on the up once more.

As for SC's legacy here; I'm looking to the future under LJ, who is certainly showing he has something about him and I'm excited about that.  But it is undeniable the foundations he has to build on were in large part formed by SC arriving and turning us around rapidly and dramatically.

He may have rubbed some the wrong way, but he did what very few gaffers have done here which is win a league, and for me has nothing to prove - he reminded us what it was like to be winners, and there is good reason our performances last season were described as imperious.

Shame it ended the way it did, but that is done now, and I'm going to exercise my right to look back with fondness on SC's time here, and forward with excitement to the future under LJ.  Neither has to be mutually exclusive.

It's pointless arguing with the people who are slating Steve Cotterill. Most are doing it to get a reaction. It's the same with Luke Freeman - at times the poor lad has struggled with the pace of the Championship. Hardly his fault is it? He's trying his best and doesn't deserve to be slated. Some people don't understand the meaning of gratitude. 

On 4/25/2016 at 21:09, BigAlToby&Liam said:

I'd support that. Cotterill delivered a fantastic season last season but no way was he the most successful manager in 40 years. Terry Cooper and Gary Johnson are far more deserving of that accolade.

I'm a critic of Cotterill. Not because I think he was a poor manager - because clearly he wasn't - but due to the fact that I think he made poor decisions - particularly this season. League positions don't lie and I'm afraid that after a great season last year this season - whilst he was here - was dreadful.

There may well be many other reasons for that but rightly or wrongly he's responsible - and paid handsomely for that I'm sure - so when the going gets tough, and when he showed no real ability to change things - his sacking was inevitable. Team performance, results, league position and the tantrum may well have demonstrated the true extent of his then ability.

Anyway I'm looking forward to next season - so much so we've bought another season ticket :yes:

100% agree, plus a 15% record is quite frankly abysmal. 

On 4/29/2016 at 20:28, Northern Red said:

Southampton and Watford done the same and turned out alright for both, SC made us a laughing stock with that bizarre interview after the Derby game...

RumRed is correct, no sentiment in football. 

Archived