IGNORED

Everything Colin related (merged topics once again)

42nite

I've always said I will support whoever we bring in to manage but ffs what is taking so long? If we had over 30 applicants, including some surprising ones, surely something should have happened by now. Time is running out but no-one seems to be any the wiser. As I have no idea who has applied  I can only think that on one person is a stand out contender. Therefore, in my opinion,  if he has or has not applied, give Mr. Warnock a call and give him a short contract with a possible extension if he keeps us up. At the moment the sacking of Cotts makes no sense at all.

4 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

His cash, his choice. True. But maybe a few thousand fans will take the same view if this complete balls up of a season carries on in the same vein and we get relegated. But I suppose Steve won't care?

Steve will care, one look at the accounts shows that, but I think he has learned lessons about chucking away cash recklessly. The whole "experienced manager" stuff is based on fear and narrow mindedness, and if he has faith in JP, we have to accept it and back him. Of course, if any of the critics wish to personally finance the hiring of their choice of manager.....

17 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Trying to find a positive note to close the night :) 

TBf to JP we have stopped leaking goals and restricted A good Boro side , a prem WBA side and a (poor) Leeds side to ? 3 chances in 270 mins

Weve stopped scoring but that isn't just under JP - did someone say one goal in 9 ? Away (league) games :o

So we can't lay that blame solely at JPs door

Hes stopped us leaking goals - just need to get the final third bit right now :D

For me Bob i think there is one overriding  priority 

get the right players in before the 31st if posssible ( permanent signings ) as that is so much more positive than loans for the longer term no matter which league we are in

stability is key now.

so with that in mind, i think the board will be more focused on players than a new manager.

which makes me think that pembo and wade could well keep the job til the end of the season.

41 minutes ago, marmite said:

I've always said I will support whoever we bring in to manage but ffs what is taking so long? If we had over 30 applicants, including some surprising ones, surely something should have happened by now. Time is running out but no-one seems to be any the wiser. As I have no idea who has applied  I can only think that on one person is a stand out contender. Therefore, in my opinion,  if he has or has not applied, give Mr. Warnock a call and give him a short contract with a possible extension if he keeps us up. At the moment the sacking of Cotts makes no sense at all.

Meanwhile, in the boardroom, the champagne is on ice - one win and the cheap option is on!!!

lumsden

tinnion

millen

pemberton

i actually think it's unfair to promote from within. 

2 minutes ago, djb6162 said:

get the right players in before the 31st if posssible ( permanent signings ) as that is so much more positive than loans for the longer term no matter which league we are in

stability is key now.

so with that in mind, i think the board will be more focused on players than a new manager.

which makes me think that pembo and wade could well keep the job til the end of the season.

Totally agree DJB

A manager / coach , anyone can only work with the options available and tired players won't be able to do much for any 'new coach' whoever that was

Not an ideal situation but we are where we are and as I said on another thread my whole focus would be on short term survival right now and as you say that means players (Still concerns me what you can get when you don't have a manager / head coach but maybe I am naive)

On that basis as I said on another thread , for me , how we fare will be largely based on the contributions from the players who are here already / permanently and thus the q is

Who can get the best out of these players ? Between now and May

From comments I've read and all the vibes I would guess that the obvious answer is JP/ WE who know and are liked by the players it would consistently appear.

An outside voice coming in short term , experienced or not would be another spin of the dice !!

7 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Meanwhile, in the boardroom, the champagne is on ice - one win and the cheap option is on!!!

lumsden

tinnion

millen

pemberton

As stated on another thread, giving JP the job is unfair on both him and us, the supporters IMO. While he may well end up as a very good manager, to expect him to save us from relegation while cutting his managerial teeth is both unfair and extremely risky. It also reeks of taking the 'easy option' once again.

I have nothing against John Pemberton at all and he comes across as a genuine and talented fella but I think it would be a bad move to appoint him in our present predicament.

16 hours ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

QPR brought him in to get them up.. as far as I recall that's what he does best , takes teams that have been knocking on the door and helps them attain that elusive step,  not sure he has a record of going into clubs and turning them around to avoid relegation.....not saying he couldn't. ...but I can't recall where he has.......sure one of the experts out there will enlighten me with many examples. ...

Far too many panicking on here , now is the time to believe and let those working their arses off for the club get on with their jobs with as much backing and support as we can give....

We have to to trust they will do the right thing for the future of the club, .. panicking is not the right thing.....

The season we got Palace in the play offs? Weren't they rock bottom or thereabouts before Christmas?

The shilly shallying of this board is breathtaking. As Terry-Thomas might have said "absolute shaaaah."

He's a lovey dog, but he keeps jumping up at people when we take him for walks. He doesn't mean any harm but he needs to be better trained. 

Sorry, just read through the thread, my daughters dog is called Colin and it said everything Colin related....... :)

Out of interest though, I would rather my daughters dog got the managers job than Mr W.......

42 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

lumsden

tinnion

millen

pemberton

You missed a few - Joe Jordan - Promoted and a very successful season after promotion

Russell Osman - Did a reasonable, if dull job at second tier

Fawthrop - Again, did OK after Pulis blew the budget on crocks

Hodgson and Sharpe - Mission Impossible

Lumsden - We stayed in the second tier on his watch

Millen - As above, stabilised things after Johnson left, and again after Coppells brief reign. Did his sacking improve our fortunes?

That leaves Tinnion as the sole example of an internal appointment being a disaster.

Managers at time of relegation since the 82 collapse - Joe Jordan, Benny Lennartson, Sean O'Driscoll - None appointed internally

So statistically, the theory about appointing from within is totally incorrect.

10 minutes ago, Chappers said:

You missed a few - Joe Jordan - Promoted and a very successful season after promotion

Russell Osman - Did a reasonable, if dull job at second tier

Fawthrop - Again, did OK after Pulis blew the budget on crocks

Hodgson and Sharpe - Mission Impossible

Lumsden - We stayed in the second tier on his watch

Millen - As above, stabilised things after Johnson left, and again after Coppells brief reign. Did his sacking improve our fortunes?

That leaves Tinnion as the sole example of an internal appointment being a disaster.

Managers at time of relegation since the 82 collapse - Joe Jordan, Benny Lennartson, Sean O'Driscoll - None appointed internally

So statistically, the theory about appointing from within is totally incorrect.

Nonsense.

Under Osman our crowds went down to under 6000 for Championship football, no one can say that is any sort of basis for success.

Lumsden very luckily inherited Jordan's brilliant squad but once he had to make his own decisions (like selling Bob, buying Dziekanowski) we were going down faster than the Titanic when we sacked him.

Fawthrop did what? Kept us in the third tier (wow) and got to the final of a pointless trophy, well done. Pulis aside he was the least welcomed managerial appointment we've ever made for that brief spell he was permanent manager.

Millen's time was neutral in my eyes but he had been assistant for over five years when he took over.

As for Jordan, when we made him manager he had only been Cooper's assistant for barely a month, we were halfway down League One and he was (and remains) a legend in football, so can you see why his was the only success and was also hardly "promoting from within"?

1 hour ago, Chappers said:

Steve will care, one look at the accounts shows that, but I think he has learned lessons about chucking away cash recklessly. The whole "experienced manager" stuff is based on fear and narrow mindedness, and if he has faith in JP, we have to accept it and back him. Of course, if any of the critics wish to personally finance the hiring of their choice of manager.....

You're right, but seeing as his track record of managerial appointments is about two right and seven wrong, you'll forgive me for having absolutely zero faith in his judgement...

1 hour ago, Chappers said:

Thats where i fear your wrong Chappers, As paying fans of BCFC if we don't like a decision we just won't go anymore and will probably just end up supporting from afar IE the couch... Let's face it thousands already do!

SL may own and finance the football club but without the fans that are the heart and soul of this football club we're in serious bother.. 

2 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

Get Colin? Colin can go Firth and multiply. He's a Bell.End of. He can stay on his Todd in his tractor. Making a Mochrie of us, all this "get Colin."

Rather have Mary Warnock

Rubbish anagram though.

Unless a manager is lined up then @BobBobSuperBob and @djb6162 are right....concentrate on getting the players in this week....they will ultimately win or lose you the games.  Any new man ain't gonna have time to do much, so don't wait for him.

can imagine a Matt Smith and Alex Gilbey type signing this week would give us a huge boost going into Brum game.  Doesn't have to be those two, but those sorts.

1 hour ago, djb6162 said:

stability is key now.

I think you're probably right because its not exactly ideal signing players that a new manager may not want.

And if that is the case, just get on and announce it because not knowing either way is not helpful, especially in our situation.

I don't think it would be the right decision mind, they need somebody fresh IMO who can come in and give them a lift, try and re-establish some confidence.

48 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Nonsense.

Under Osman our crowds went down to under 6000 for Championship football, no one can say that is any sort of basis for success.

Lumsden very luckily inherited Jordan's brilliant squad but once he had to make his own decisions (like selling Bob, buying Dziekanowski) we were going down faster than the Titanic when we sacked him.

Fawthrop did what? Kept us in the third tier (wow) and got to the final of a pointless trophy, well done. Pulis aside he was the least welcomed managerial appointment we've ever made for that brief spell he was permanent manager.

Millen's time was neutral in my eyes but he had been assistant for over five years when he took over.

As for Jordan, when we made him manager he had only been Cooper's assistant for barely a month, we were halfway down League One and he was (and remains) a legend in football, so can you see why his was the only success and was also hardly "promoting from within"?

If it wasn't our club, what would we make of a player signing a 2 or 3 year deal for a managerless club? 

It's bonkers, as a player you'd have to be desperate to do it. 

18 hours ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

QPR brought him in to get them up.. as far as I recall that's what he does best , takes teams that have been knocking on the door and helps them attain that elusive step,  not sure he has a record of going into clubs and turning them around to avoid relegation.....not saying he couldn't. ...but I can't recall where he has.......sure one of the experts out there will enlighten me with many examples. ...

Far too many panicking on here , now is the time to believe and let those working their arses off for the club get on with their jobs with as much backing and support as we can give....

We have to to trust they will do the right thing for the future of the club, .. panicking is not the right thing.....

The problem as i see it is we've entered Formula One with a decent family saloon that will finish the race but is  never going to trouble the rest of the field .

22 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

If it wasn't our club, what would we make of a player signing a 2 or 3 year deal for a managerless club? 

It's bonkers, as a player you'd have to be desperate to do it. 

It happens all the time ,do you think a new coach will be upset to find quality players at his new club or is he more likely to  refuse the post if he has a miniscule squad of struggling players  ?

29 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It happens all the time ,do you think a new coach will be upset to find quality players at his new club or is he more likely to  refuse the post if he has a miniscule squad of struggling players  ?

As evidenced by the permanent signings JP was making all last week....

Archived