IGNORED

Today's ref

GrahamC

In fairness the ref did play a brilliant one two with Freeman in the second half, and for what its worth from where I sat it looked a pen to me and we were all saying why would he go down when he is clear on goal or had options in the box and he is also a goalscorer ? surely he woud have taken his chance but also thought he had a good game!(tomlins not the ref}

3 hours ago, Shtanley said:

How is nobody talking about the blatant handball from Robinson in the first half? Goalbound header from JK and he stuck his fist in the way, I don't think everyone  saw it but it was a clear penalty

You must have been sat near me in SS, block 24, as you say a much clearer penalty than the Tomlin one.

it was strange not many others saw it, I can't remember a clearer hand ball, he literally punched the ball away. 

Was shocking, I mean we have had some bad ones this season but he really was bad.
It wasn't just the two clear incidents with Tomlin and Burns, it was the fact he was giving so many inconsistent decisions towards Birmingham and allowing them to waste time. Normally back to the car by 5PM, but because of their time wasting and his stupidity didn't get there until 5:30. Shocking.

6 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Seriously as bad as I can ever remember.

No control of the game at all, allowed Birmingham to dive, time waste and moan without any response.

Missed a blatant penalty to us and could easily have given another late on.

A completely incompetent, biased display.

Tomlin went down in installments.. Was never a penalty all day long..you can't blame the officials for our plight.......................

Brum are a vile team niggling fouls and constant back chat and kicking the ball away and the Ref let them get away with it.

A definite penalty for Tomlin & pretty sure the Burns incident was a foul also.

I missed the punch clear by the brum defender but then so did the Ref. 

6 minutes ago, Swede said:

Brum are a vile team niggling fouls and constant back chat and kicking the ball away and the Ref let them get away with it.

A definite penalty for Tomlin & pretty sure the Burns incident was a foul also.

I missed the punch clear by the brum defender but then so did the Ref. 

Never mind that. What about when Flinty was punched in the nuts totally off the ball? The Yul Brynner lino seemed to think that was OK.

Appalling officiating and I agree with the OP - that was the worst ref I've seen at the Gate for years.

8 hours ago, Londoner said:

I was three rows back directly in line.....tomlin turned him defender stuck his leg out tomlin took another touch then went down.....no way there was any contact clear air between and went down late....it was clear dive frim where I was.

Adam Baker has tweeted photos apparently proving there was contact so it was a pen...

I was interested to see that this referee is from Telford outside Birmingham. I assume a referee from Portishead would never get to referee our games? BTW, by the power of Google, I see he was the lineman who missed the Pedro Mendes 40 yarder vs Roy Carroll at Old Trafford, which was several yards over the line. 

A number of other highlights for me:

• Brum player off the pitch before HT comes back on and sits down - stop game to treat him
  • Brum player deliberately blocks quick free kick in front of their bench - nothing
  • Carbon copy of Baker booking in second half by Brum player (late, from behind, didn't win ball) no booking
  • Reid visibly wins ball (diverted it about 15 yards) with heavy tackle second half, free kick and a booking
  • Late crossing opportunity for Freeman with many in box, stops game for Brum player rather than allow 2 seconds to see outcome
  • Flint bashed in the groin right in front of the ref, visibly taken out, nothing
  • One of our players jumping for headed clearance few minutes before full time pushed out the way no attempt to play ball, nothing... two minutes later Brum defender jumps for similar header from goal kick, climbs onto Wilbraham and then over him. Free kick to Brum
  •  Brum players surround linesman and abuse him in both halves... nothing

We're all too grown up to suggest bias or fix but really....? This guy was really going for it. You knew once Fabrini came on and started diving everywhere he couldn't wait to give them all. How Tomlin gets booked but not Fabrini god only knows.

BTW, this game had nothing on the reverse fixture, I was at St. Andrews (one of the 'lucky' ones not 'dispersed' by WMP) and remember saying at the time I'd never seen an English team dive as much as this lot, absolutely incredible, anyone who saw the comical half pike from their sub striker in front of the away end up there will know what I'm talking about.

For a team that has been in or around the Prem for years I can't recall them buying or producing any great players, perhaps they just buy referees instead? The guy yesterday being from Telford, could definitely have got a lift back on their coach.

27 minutes ago, Olé said:

BTW, this game had nothing on the reverse fixture, I was at St. Andrews (one of the 'lucky' ones not 'dispersed' by WMP) and remember saying at the time I'd never seen an English team dive as much as this lot, absolutely incredible, anyone who saw the comical half pike from their sub striker in front of the away end up there will know what I'm talking about.

I thought that was the ball boy!

58 minutes ago, Olé said:

I was interested to see that this referee is from Telford outside Birmingham. I assume a referee from Portishead would never get to referee our games? BTW, by the power of Google, I see he was the lineman who missed the Pedro Mendes 40 yarder vs Roy Carroll at Old Trafford, which was several yards over the line. 

• Brum player off the pitch before HT comes back on and sits down - stop game to treat him
  • Brum player deliberately blocks quick free kick in front of their bench - nothing
  • Carbon copy of Baker booking in second half by Brum player (late, from behind, didn't win ball) no booking
  • Reid visibly wins ball (diverted it about 15 yards) with heavy tackle second half, free kick and a booking
  • Late crossing opportunity for Freeman with many in box, stops game for Brum player rather than allow 2 seconds to see outcome
  • Flint bashed in the groin right in front of the ref, visibly taken out, nothing
  • One of our players jumping for headed clearance few minutes before full time pushed out the way no attempt to play ball, nothing... two minutes later Brum defender jumps for similar header from goal kick, climbs onto Wilbraham and then over him. Free kick to Brum
  •  Brum players surround linesman and abuse him in both halves... nothing

We're all too grown up to suggest bias or fix but really....? This guy was really going for it. You knew once Fabrini came on and started diving everywhere he couldn't wait to give them all. How Tomlin gets booked but not Fabrini god only knows.

For a team that has been in or around the Prem for years I can't recall them buying or producing any great players, perhaps they just buy referees instead? The guy yesterday being from Telford, could definitely have got a lift back on their coach.

Telford is 33 miles from Brum! 

Not the best ref I have ever seen, to put it mildly, and my initial reaction, from distance, was no pen. Laws of football, decisions always go for the big teams/ teams at the top and against those at the bottom.

If we'd had a penalty, on yesterday's evidence no guarantee we would have scored!

2 definite penalties right in front of the South Stand. First the clear punch of the ball by Robinson on a goal bound header. And Tomlin was fouled clear as day.

Referee was terrible but not unfortunately the standard is so generally so poor that it's not surprising. What really annoys me is that they let all the shirt pulling, pushing, sneaky off the ball fouls go, then punish clear, clean but hard tackles. At least he wasn't duped by Februni falling all over the place. 

My only consolation is that Brum didn't start with their 3 subs as much more threatening with them on the pitch. Otherwise a bunch of cynical "pros", which again seems par for the course at this level. League 1 was far more honest, even if the refs were no better!

5 minutes ago, RedUn said:

The laws of the game state that there doesn't have to be contact for it to be a foul.

I know, but I was replying to Londoner's post when he said 'it was a dive, there was no contact, no pen' - I simply stated that there was contact so it was a pen. I'm aware that 'intent to foul' can also result in a pen being awarded...

4 hours ago, Olé said:

• Brum player off the pitch before HT comes back on and sits down - stop game to treat him - Nothing the ref can do about this, unfortunately
  • Brum player deliberately blocks quick free kick in front of their bench - nothing - could have booked him but decided to let it go, as he did the same the other way round in the second half
  • Carbon copy of Baker booking in second half by Brum player (late, from behind, didn't win ball) no booking - Not sure which challenge you're talking about here but the Baker one was a clear yellow
  • Reid visibly wins ball (diverted it about 15 yards) with heavy tackle second half, free kick and a booking - I thought it was a foul tbg and then Reid squared up to their player, forcing the referee too book both players as he did
  • Late crossing opportunity for Freeman with many in box, stops game for Brum player rather than allow 2 seconds to see outcome - again the player was down with a supposed head injury. It's ****ing annoying and is cheating by Birmingham, but there's not much the ref can do
  • Flint bashed in the groin right in front of the ref, visibly taken out, nothing - Agree with this, Donaldson was fouling Flint all game and nothing was given
  •  Brum players surround linesman and abuse him in both halves... nothing - Korey Smith was in the ref's face all game (as were many of our other players), and yet "nothing" was done

Maybe the ref had a bad game (I really didn't think he was that bad) but it was one of those games that was hard for a referee and I don't think it helped our cause at all (and it pretty much ruined the 2nd half for us) by allowing ourselves to get drawn into a niggly, stop-start game.

4 minutes ago, roe said:

Maybe the ref had a bad game (I really didn't think he was that bad) but it was one of those games that was hard for a referee and I don't think it helped our cause at all (and it pretty much ruined the 2nd half for us) by allowing ourselves to get drawn into a niggly, stop-start game.

People are going over the top. Wasn't great but not nearly as bad as people making out.

5 minutes ago, roe said:

This is without doubt the most ridiculous comment on this thread.

The ref was, as virtually every other poster has agreed, absolutely awful and the ratio of decisions in Brum's favour was about 80/20.

As for the very first point about the guy going down injured and being pushed back on to the pitch, of course there was something the ref could have done about it. Either make him go back off for treatment or book him for ungentlemanly conduct, both of which would have made more ensue than his usual "let them get away with anything" attitude.

Reid's booking wasn't even a foul and the response of their number 8 (making a huge meal of it, haranguing the ref and then starting on Reid) was what got him booked, nothing Reid did himself.

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

People are going over the top. Wasn't great but not nearly as bad as people making out.

Respect your opinion but in 35 years of going to Ashton gate very few referees have got the whole stadium singing how rubbish he was.

Compare him to the ref against Middlesborough and Lee Mason's performance against Forest and he really was bad.

Perhaps the kindest thing you could say about him was he had a offday. 

The assessor's report on all three officials would make interesting reading.

22 minutes ago, Barry Sheene said:

Respect your opinion but in 35 years of going to Ashton gate very few referees have got the whole stadium singing how rubbish he was.

Compare him to the ref against Middlesborough and Lee Mason's performance against Forest and he really was bad.

Perhaps the kindest thing you could say about him was he had a offday. 

The assessor's report on all three officials would make interesting reading.

That would be a great change to the rules , release the assessors report after a game. Would never happen, and I understand why, but would be good to get independent (ish) feedback after a game. I hate coming away saying the Ref was crap , sounds like excuses and cop outs , and yesterday his performance wouldn't have mattered one little bit if we had taken our chances(again). That said , the number of soft free kicks that get given against us compared to the amount of robust challenges that are allowed on City players don't seem to even out. I honestly ended up laughing at some of the decisions he gave come the tail end of the match.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

As for the very first point about the guy going down injured and being pushed back on to the pitch, of course there was something the ref could have done about it. Either make him go back off for treatment or book him for ungentlemanly conduct, both of which would have made more ensue than his usual "let them get away with anything" attitude.

Absolutely. Let the game go on and let him get treatment. Was it not MK Dons when we had Wilbs down on the halfway line but the ref did the right thing - as this one ought to have - and seen right through it and let the game carry on? 

Right in front of us Tomlin tripped def 100% pen. Heard the ref was from Telford did he travel down on the Birmingham coach maybe he would have felt arkward travelling back up with them. Also 2nd half Wes Burns pulled back last man def. straight red. Most biased ref most of the stadium singing Sh*t referee.

22 hours ago, Londoner said:

I was sat in front of tomlin and it was a dive, no contact at all and went down after the nothing challenge happened....ref was spot on there.....rest of the game dire.

I thought it was a pen from where I was..........however when a player over exaggerates and goes down like he has been shot by a sniper I think it always makes refs suspicious??

The ref was shite. He looked weak, acted weak and he made the weak decisions. He never exerted any control on the team's and would rather ignore confronting a decision than having to deal with it.

I've seen better refs at Sunday league level and I always shake their hand after a game but this guy needs his neck shaken.

Terrible official.

Archived