IGNORED

Gary monk

Cider red

1 minute ago, arpaul said:

Agreed. From a stable, well run club to relegation material in 20 months.

But realistically what is Swansea's ceiling?

They are a very, very small club by Premiership standards and whether it is this season or in a few years time, they'll go back down eventually.

I didn't know anything about the off the field stuff that was going on there but as it involved a player and a director it can't have helped the situation.

Monk may not be a top half of the Prem coach but there again,we're not a Prem club..

14 minutes ago, cynic said:

Monk really isn't worth mentioning in the company or Moyes or Pearson.

And I'd have to disagree that he is "better" than LJ.

The experience that LJ is building up is much more valuable than a bloke that spent nearly all his career at one club then walked into the managers job at that same club with momentum and money behind him. 

If it were a straight choice between Monk and LJ, then to me its a very clear winner - LJ 100%.

LJ will be a very sought after manager in the very near future.

'LJ will be a very sought after manager in the near future' thats a fairly big shout if ever ive heard one.. Dont really know why you have come to that conclusion to be honest, predicting the fortunes of a lower league football manager is about as likely as predicting next weeks lotto numbers but hey ho!

As for Monk i too am wary of his long spell at Swansea, mind you its all pure speculation on our parts as a fresh challenge away from there could be just what he needs and he could flourish here. Undecided for me but id deffinetly have him over LJ im sorry...

17 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

But realistically what is Swansea's ceiling?

They are a very, very small club by Premiership standards and whether it is this season or in a few years time, they'll go back down eventually.

I didn't know anything about the off the field stuff that was going on there but as it involved a player and a director it can't have helped the situation.

Monk may not be a top half of the Prem coach but there again,we're not a Prem club..

I agree with what you say GrahamC and equally know nothing about Off field antics. In all fairness, I couldn't give a toss as to what goes on in Swansea.

Small club? Agreed.

What and where is their footballing ceiling?  Under decent leadership they not only gained premier league status, they flourished and grew. They are now on the slide and Monk has to take responsibility. If "off field" issues caused a rift, then doesn't this show a lack of managerial expertise on his part?

Again, other than Mr Moyes, I have no preference. I just want a lucky manager/Head coach. And I don't believe Monk is the man.  

Whilst on the Manager topic, I didn't want Cotterill, but look where he took us!!

I think Monk could be a good manager and I will back whoever becomes our manager but is he  the right manager to come in and help us fight off a relegation fight with only one loan signing allowed  to put his own stamp on the squad ? 

Can we really afford to put a new manger who has no relegation experience and let him tinker for at least a month lets say to get where he wants the team.  Then find we are relegated anyway ? 

Unless we can get an experienced manager at this level who has been there done it . Now we are past the Jan transfer window it would be a huge risk to replace pembo.  

I'm not against monk even becoming manger come the end of the season, however  right now I think it could be too risky but if does get appointed I will back him like any other  city manager. 

38 minutes ago, arpaul said:

(1)  Martinez kept Wigan in the PL for too many years for it to be "lucky" and of course a small feat of an FA Cup win!!

He also has Everton playing with style, and is growing into the expectations of a big team.

(2) Any blame for his tenure going "tits up" ,as you so eloquently say, can only be his fault. He has taken a good footballing side who consistently finished clear of relegation danger, and turned them into a struggling side within 20 months. No, you're right, they're not down yet, but they are in uncharted waters and seem to be at the top of a downward spiral.

Go back in this thread and look at what Redfred posted - that's explains (partially anyway) why it went "tits up" for Monk at the Jacks.

Not entire his fault if you believe what Redfred posted.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Go back in this thread and look at what Redfred posted - that's explains (partially anyway) why it went "tits up" for Monk at the Jacks.

Not entire his fault if you believe what Redfred posted.

As I said in a previous post Alan, if "Off field" issues was the undoing of Monk - doesn't that raise an question/issue with his man management skills?

1 hour ago, cynic said:

Anyone remember that Amercian programme called Soap back in the 70s/80s ?

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

From the Swans 

Ive been for a pint tonight with some Swans ITKs and this is the situation.
There is major drama there which as always comes down to women and money, on a few levels. Martin Morgan, a big shareholder, was bumming Nathan Dyers wife and it became knowledge. Shes left him, and Morgans mrs has left him. This is apparently knowledge because it has been cited in official uncontested court divorce papers filed in London. This was why Dyer got sold in the summer, and this is what has given the players the hump. Monk has had to come down on the side of the management and ownership, and this has annoyed the players more. Therein lies the problem of having an explayer as boss, they see him as one of theirs and he has had to become all corporate. He does not have the management respect in that respect.
As a result, the players are behaving like ****s. Like Ashley Williams kicking off publicly and Shelvey going home in a strop at being named sub
Huw Jenkins has no alternative other than to bring in someone who can try to get a grip on this, and has agreed with Garry Monk that a change is needed
He didnt want to do this today (or tuesday) as it was his big day, he has been up to Buck Palace to get an OBE and didnt want anything to overshadow that
He and Brenda have remained on very good terms and he has asked Brenda to come back and take over, and Brenda has kind of agreed. But Brenda is in family court himself this week in London finalising his own divorce from that thing he used to be married to. He is worried that he cant take a job at the moment as she will want some of the contract agreement.

I think you are all missing a very important question here.........................................................................................

Who's Brenda?

I think he did well at Swansea because he was at the club for so long and knew the setup inside out, and was well known and respected by everyone there. I firmly believe given a bit more time he would have turned things around.

HOWEVER I'm not sure he could replicate that at a different club, especially somewhere like Bcfc where we are under pressure and threat  of relegation. 

All the best to him, but I don't think he's the right man for us at this point in time. 

1 minute ago, ciderrider said:

I think he did well at Swansea because he was at the club for so long and knew the setup inside out, and was well known and respected by everyone there. I firmly believe given a bit more time he would have turned things around.

HOWEVER I'm not sure he could replicate that at a different club, especially somewhere like Bcfc where we are under pressure and threat  of relegation. 

All the best to him, but I don't think he's the right man for us at this point in time. 

Big question. Who is ?

2 minutes ago, cynic said:

Fair enough.

Each to his own.

I just prefer someone who started at the bottom and worked their way up.

Hard job for Ashton.

But has LJ started at the bottom and worked his way up??? Sideways really at best. He hasnt a promotion on his cv has he??

I dont think you can underestimate the importance of how players from outside the club view our manager and whether they would be drawn to bcfc to play for them.

Players didnt seem too keen to come and play for Cotts last summer. I cant see LJ being any more persuaive. Monk though has profile for me and comes across well in interviews. Maybe he might be able to get the next andre grey or dwight gale through the door.

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I think you are all missing a very important question here.........................................................................................

Who's Brenda?

Him with the whitened teeth. King brenda, brendan rodgers. The man who conned the kop.

9 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Who's Brenda?

Isn't or wasn't Brenda, Nev's wife in Auf Wierdersehn Pet??

3 minutes ago, Cardy said:

Brendon Rogers??

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Nailed it Cardy !

2 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Him with the whitened teeth. King brenda, brendan rodgers. The man who conned the kop.

Ah thank you, Brenda is the nickname for the queen in Private Eye, i was thinking he had friends in very high places for a minute...... especially with the OBE thing!!

1 minute ago, allyolly said:

Sorry if posted elsewhere but surely if Monk is seriously in the frame why wait till now? Not attached to a club, no compensation to be agreed therefore he would be here by now if he was coming. 

That would assume that the club have not interviewed any other candidates and taken time to consider the available options. Hopefully, whoever gets it, they aren't going to just offer it to the first out of work manager who says "yes".

If the Nathan Dyer thing is true then the timing of it would certanly tally with Swansea's collapse in form. They started this season well, unbeaten in their first 4 games including drawing at Chelsea and beating Man Utd. Then Dyer went out on loan to Leicester on the 1st September and after that they only won 1 of 12 more games before Monk was sacked in December.

Archived