IGNORED

Gary monk

Cider red

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I mentioned as a possibility, Gary Monk shortly after Cotterill was sacked and got a very lukewarm reaction.

Id love to see him take over at City. Did a very decent job at Swansea. Knows how to play decent football and is very astute and articulate.

Wouldnt have to move fare either......

Monk took over a good footballing side who were punching above their weight. 

Their footballing philosophy goes back to Roberto Martinez. Then expanded by Paulo Sousa, Brendon Rodgers and latterly Michael Laudrup.

My problem with Monk is that, Swansea have regressed under his leadership.And he's taken them from an established PL team to relegation material in his time in charge.

His "success" and "High Profile" has, maybe, been earned by piggy backing off previous managers hard work and transfer dealings.

If it is him, then so be it. But to say I'd be underwhelmed would be an understatement.

6 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Nope, didn't have time, had to lump it on before price went !:cool:

(now 3's BTW)

It's still too high for it to be him and isn't coming down quickly enough. I can't see this being true. 

If people knew, it wouldn't be £5's & £10's, it'd be £1,000's and we'd be 1/10 in a heart beat. 

The price coming in is due to this thread. 

49 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Tut tut, Major... you have enough trouble backing the Team , Club, Directors and home matches but fancy you not backing a potential new manager as well?

I have always backed the losing horse and now i have a loser commenting on my support . :disapointed2se:

I would prefer Pemberton to Monk ,who i feel rather fell into the job at Swansea and it went wrong when he started to fashion his own team . I don't feel he has the necessary experience as a coach to be a success here just now but what do i know ?

5 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

It's still too high for it to be him and isn't coming down quickly enough. I can't see this being true. 

If people knew, it wouldn't be £5's & £10's, it'd be £1,000's and we'd be 1/10 in a heart beat. 

Tbf it's come down from 33/1 to 3/1 in the space of an hour.

8 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I thought people were saying previously that you could only put a max of about 50 on these bets ?

5 minutes ago, arpaul said:

Their footballing philosophy goes back to Roberto Martinez. Then expanded by Paulo Sousa, Brendon Rodgers and latterly Michael Laudrup.

My problem with Monk is that, Swansea have regressed under his leadership.And he's taken them from an established PL team to relegation material in his time in charge.

His "success" and "High Profile" has, maybe, been earned by piggy backing off previous managers hard work and transfer dealings.

If it is him, then so be it. But to say I'd be underwhelmed would be an understatement.

Good, well made points, Paul.

The Swansea board is heavily influenced by their Trust members and they all share the same philosophy when it comes to appointing a manager - namely one who will adopt the same footballing "style" that originated with Martinez ( who couldn't do the same at Wigan btw ) and Monk was appointed bcause he was accustomed to said style as a player. He fit the remit perfectly.

The fact it eventually went tits up was inevitable but to lay the blame at Monks door is harsh to say the least. And....Swansea aren't relegated yet.

2 minutes ago, cynic said:

He signed a 3 year contract in July 2015 and was sacked in December 2015 - like I said sacked months after signing a long term contract. He needs to do his apprenticeship somewhere other than here.

I'd be more than surprised if he was a serious candidate.

I'd say nearly two years at a Premier League club is already a decent apprenticeship for a lower Championship side.

23 minutes ago, arpaul said:

Monk took a good footballing side and in his only full season in charge led them to their highest Premier League finish.

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Monk took a good footballing side and in his only full season in charge led them to their highest Premier League finish.

Beating both Arsenal and Man U home and away in the process.

Not having a dig at Lee Johnson but how could someone on this thread seriously say he'd achieved more in management than Monk after that?

29 minutes ago, arpaul said:

He took them to their highest ever top division finish in his only full season in charge...

No great problem, but I can't understand why there is great enthusiasm for him, but not some of the other candidates. His CV is not particularly strong, just average at one club, inheriting a reasonable team at a stable, well-run club. As with all names, I don't feel too strongly as I don't know enough to make an informed judgement, and prefer to judge any appointee on performance once in the job.

Gary Owers new manager at Bath City.

1 hour ago, redfred said:

Just a note on why it went wrong for Monk at Swansea, after such a stellar first season. All allegedly, of course.....

One of the players - long-standing and well-liked in the dressing room and now out on loan at another PL club - had a rendezvous with a director's wife.

The Director naturally wanted rid of said player and off he went on loan to the other PL club. The player's popularity in the dressing room led to a revolt as the players felt that the now on loan player had been treated badly by the club (only in football could people think this...) and they approached Monk to see what he was going to do.

Monk stood by the club's decision to farm him out on loan and that was that for him as far the players were concerned and it is why the club were forced to not give him more time, as the players had spoken with their performances. 

All allegedly of course.....

Sounds like you might have got it the wrong way round, allegedly...

3 minutes ago, Chappers said:

No great problem, but I can't understand why there is great enthusiasm for him, but not some of the other candidates. His CV is not particularly strong, just average at one club, inheriting a reasonable team at a stable, well-run club. As with all names, I don't feel too strongly as I don't know enough to make an informed judgement, and prefer to judge any appointee on performance once in the job.

Average? Eighth in the Prem?

If that is so "average" why hadn't Swansea ever achieved it before in their 100 year plus history?

Monk did have the advantage of a job at a stable, well run club but to describe them finishing eighth in the top flight as "average" is completely ludicrous.

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Good, well made points, Paul.

The Swansea board is heavily influenced by their Trust members and they all share the same philosophy when it comes to appointing a manager - namely one who will adopt the same footballing "style" that originated with Martinez (1) who couldn't do the same at Wigan btw ) and Monk was appointed bcause he was accustomed to said style as a player. He fit the remit perfectly.

(2)The fact it eventually went tits up was inevitable but to lay the blame at Monks door is harsh to say the least. And....Swansea aren't relegated yet.

(1)  Martinez kept Wigan in the PL for too many years for it to be "lucky" and of course a small feat of an FA Cup win!!

He also has Everton playing with style, and is growing into the expectations of a big team.

(2) Any blame for his tenure going "tits up" ,as you so eloquently say, can only be his fault. He has taken a good footballing side who consistently finished clear of relegation danger, and turned them into a struggling side within 20 months. No, you're right, they're not down yet, but they are in uncharted waters and seem to be at the top of a downward spiral.

It's a No from me.

15 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

If that is so "average" why hadn't Swansea ever achieved it before in their 100 year plus history?

Monk did have the advantage of a job at a stable, well run club but to describe them finishing eighth in the top flight as "average" is completely ludicrous.

A single successful season, and sacked not that long after, sounds familiar.

i don't have a problem if he is appointed, I just don't understand why he gets such enthusiasm, with such a brief CV, yet guys who have a pretty good record at lower levels over a longer period of time are dismissed out of hand. 

I still think that, in a couple of years, we will regret not trying for Justin Edinburgh. Up and coming and with a terrific track record at unfashionable clubs.

28 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Good point, and one I have no answer to.

Except that team/tactics, maybe, were not his? 

Laudrup was surprisingly sacked, and at the time Swansea weren't a struggling side.

If it ain't broke etc. etc. etc   But as he's tried to rebuild it's gone "Pete Tong"

I may been sprouting nonsense, but I admit to not really following Premier League football too intently.

2 minutes ago, Chappers said:

A single successful season, and sacked not that long after, sounds familiar.

i don't have a problem if he is appointed, I just don't understand why he gets such enthusiasm, with such a brief CV, yet guys who have a pretty good record at lower levels over a longer period of time are dismissed out of hand. 

I still think that, in a couple of years, we will regret not trying for Justin Edinburgh. Up and coming and with a terrific track record at unfashionable clubs.

I'd be very happy with Edinburgh, though with Gillingham in the frame to be in The Championship next season whilst we might well not be, I'd also understand him if he wasn't interested.

Monk (or Steve Clarke) on the other hand, wouldn't currently have that decision to make...

31 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Beating both Arsenal and Man U home and away in the process.

Not having a dig at Lee Johnson but how could someone on this thread seriously say he'd achieved more in management than Monk after that?

Exactly. Id be very happy with him. Whp seriously could we get as head coach better than garry monk??? Moyes was a massive long shot and pearson comes across as someone who wouldnt want to be a head coach.

28 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Agreed. From a stable, well run club to relegation material in 20 months.

Archived