IGNORED

Burns to fleetwood on loan

Hartcliffe red

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

Just by the wording it sounds like Wes could be offered a new deal, LJ wants to see how he does in regular first team action in the division below, better than doing nothing for us in the mean time, if he does well expect him to be given a new deal. Reid may depend on how LJ wants to play, 2 upfront may mean a central midfield 2, Reid potentially too lightweight for that role?

The club have the option of a further year already in existing contract, from memory Djb confirmed this last month

1 minute ago, ThOmO said:

The club have the option of a further year already in existing contract, from memory Djb confirmed this last month

Yeah don't see how there's a that much of a downside for us, if he's not playing for us, it means we get a good idea of how he can do in league 1.

• Admin
21 minutes ago, ThOmO said:

Clearly not going to get game time here except apart from sub appearances this season.

go to fleetwood, score some goals and maybe force his way into Wales squad.

seems sensible for all concerned

This possibly has more to do with why the deal has come about

Wes has to fancy his outside chances of getting into the Welsh Euro squad - he has no chance of that sat on the bench for us, so why not get out there, get game time and score some goals !?!?

I'm really not sure on this one.

On the one hand it's great that he has now got a chance to go and get some first team football, put together a run of games and maybe find some confidence and form.

However, with Wagstaff our back up right sided winger, he just hasn't got the same pace as Wes. As a defender, I know I would rather face Wagstaff coming off the bench after 60/70 minutes of tired legs than facing a very quick Wes Burns!

Really hope he does well and gets a new contract in the summer, he's got something about him just needs a run of games I think.

This is win win for club and player as he's not going to get game time here at the moment

if wes does well we get a rejuvenated sticker for next season who may have been to a World Cup, can recall also if he goes on amazing run. 

He gets the chance for regular football and an outside chance of a Wales call up.

2 minutes ago, ThOmO said:

This is win win for club and player as he's not going to get game time here at the moment

if wes does well we get a rejuvenated starker for next season who may have been to a World Cup, can recall also if he goes on amazing run. 

He gets the chance for regular football and an outside chance of a Wales call up.

Personally I'd be amazed if Wes went to the World Cup this summer.  

Surprised to see him head out on loan as we have, what, 4 wide players? Bryan and Freeman, then cover from Wagstaff and Burns? 

If Bryan gets injured, Freeman switches and Wagstaff comes in, which leaves not a lot of options on the bench.

Perhaps we have someone coming in, either way good luck Wes, i'm sure any player wants game time.

Maybe @djb6162 can shed some light, although i'm sure there are details you cannot/will not discuss, no doubt.

Finally I hate all the criticism he gets on here, I know no player is exempt from it, and that just because they're local "you shouldn't bash them". But the way people write off a young developing player as 'not being good enough' or 'of XYZ level' etc etc is bizarre, especially a player who doesn't want anything more than to succeed and hasn't had many chances to show what he can do over a sustained period. Who can say how he will develop over the coming years as he builds confidence and experience?

Talking of player development, just by way of comparison, take Jamie Vardy.

At the same age as Wes, 21, he was playing in the 8th tier with Stocksbridge Park Steels. Aged 24 he was at Northern Premier League Halifax town. At aged 25/26 he was still in the conference with Fleetwood Town. Now look at him, top scorer in the prem, 4 England caps and likely to be in the squad for the euros this summer. 

Point is, you cannot predict development. Every player is different. Yes Vardy was banging them away in the conference and below, but you wouldn't have bet on him leading the line for England in a major championship 3/4 years later.

3 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

Another coach who doesn't rate him particularly highly. Maybe being fast and local isn't enough to be a Championship player after all. Not meaning to be harsh on Wes but he's been talked up on the basis of not much for years.

Just because he's being loaned out does n't mean that the coach does n't " rate " him .

• Admin

This looks like natural progression to me. 2 years ago he was loaned to FGR in the conference, last season to Cheltenham in L2, now he's off to L1. Gradually playing for and being sought after by higher level clubs. Don't really see the downside.

Wes has been out on loan a couple of times before, I think that alone shows what a good attitude he has and wants to play and better himself. 

I do think though we maybe getting someone else in, but at this stage in the season it will be a player that needs games that someone else can't fit into their squad for whatever reason.

His preformance a few weeks ago against Birmingham was woeful and well below that of a championship player.

At this momment in time the lad is not good enough at this level.

I listen to Lee Johnson on the Twentyman show last night( by the way, very impressed with how he came across more importantly what he said) he talked about speed of thought which sometimes is the difference between leauge 1 and Championship player. Burns at this level makes poor footballing decisions, he don't read the game well and is caught out of position on a number of times.

I'm backing Lee Johnson on this one .  

We all want to see young local lads doing well but professional football is a brutal game and as we have seen this year there is no place for sentiment.

Archived